Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift now pay to win

Comments

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    i'm gonna say this brilliant timing by trion...it's a cash infusion to help finish localization on archeage........however does anyone else get the sense that trion  won't be making their own games soon and will simply shift gears into a publisher?

so say we all

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by cylon8
    i'm gonna say this brilliant timing by trion...it's a cash infusion to help finish localization on archeage........however does anyone else get the sense that trion  won't be making their own games soon and will simply shift gears into a publisher?

Here is something to think about. At E3, Trion Execs, Blizz Execs and Sony Execs all went to dinner together. Just saying!

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Here is something to think about. At E3, Trion Execs, Blizz Execs and Sony Execs all went to dinner together. Just saying!

Do you think also, this has to do something with TITAN reset too? Just saying :)

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Do you think also, this has to do something with TITAN reset too? Just saying :)

Have not a clue why they went together. But I know Defiance has done Sony good. And Blizzard and Sony have some kind of partnership/relationship for titles to be released on the PS4. But as I said, no clue!! Nothing to see here!! ;-)

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

OP, thanks for driving my attention to this CS matter.

I liked Rift at beta, but after it looked to me like if it lost something.

now as you can buy even armor and weapon from CS, this game is not even worth to play. =XD
    sure my opinion only, but still.

thanks again, I keep moving, no Rift for me.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    This is not pay to win. While I disagree with Trion's actions, at least, they are not selling the top end gear. Or worse, like Neverwinter has done, some gear is only attainable through the cash shop(epic enchantments).
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by nickster29

Just went through the cash shop myself, and I laughed at the gear offerings.  It is all normal dungeon gear, not even the Expert mode gear.

If people wanna toss their cash at gear they could easily have just spent a few hours getting, let em.  It supports Trion and keeps the game running, and the free players doing what they do best.... not spending a single cent.

Only things I saw that I want from the cash shop would be the extra bag slots and extra tradeskill slots.  I will just wait to buy them using in game currency to purchase REX from other players though, no need to spend money on stuff I can just earn in game.

Wrong.  You can buy expert dungeon gear and the stones to upgrade said gear all in the cash shop.  I know this because I actually play the game and my wife, who also plays the game, JUST did this for her alt.  She is raid ready right now, and all because she had the cash to afford it.  

We also had a guild member, who did the same thing, he had been lvl 60 for less than a day when he did.  He still has no idea how to play his toon, other than for leveling, but hey he is off to raiding.   Not with our guild, he was removed for different reasons, but still he/she is out there, waiting to screw up your raid.   

So I guess I must say, not only is it pay2win, it's pay to wipe raids as well.  which I guess would be considered paytofail, so we come full circle paytowin.

You act like any raid is all that hard to learn. Most of them are easy enough I could do it face rolling the whole time. If people can get to max level and not have to grind the best gear then I say GO FOR IT! Grinding raids for gear is NOT my idea of a good end game anyways. NOR is it fun ti play catch up in pvp gearing as you get owned every match until u get better gear.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

If you take the OP views at face value without doing any fact-checking for yourself then you don't really qualify as an informed & intelligent player.

This seems to be a troll-thread mixed in with a lot of misinformation & faux indignation aimed at steering players away from a quality game for purely selfish & malicious reasons, don't swallow other people's bull, go check it out for yourself, it's free to do just that after all.

• AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Skuz

If you take the OP views at face value without doing any fact-checking for yourself then you don't really qualify as an informed & intelligent player.

This seems to be a troll-thread mixed in with a lot of misinformation & faux indignation aimed at steering players away from a quality game for purely selfish & malicious reasons, don't swallow other people's bull, go check it out for yourself, it's free to do just that after all.

^ Fully agree

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I wish there was a way to identify players who buy their gear so I can point at them and laugh at them.

"Hey Bob, I see you paid for your gear. Way to go man. You're pretty pro."

He will probably point his finger back at you and say.

"Yes I am a pro at my JOB and FAMILY. Maybe not the game but I wanted to be able to play with some friends who have more time to devote to the game than I can. My Family and Paying the bills are far more important.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days. Sure theres gear sold for cash in the store but have you even taken the time to compare it to gear you can craft or do dungeons for / get from rep vendors / pvp / etc? Cash shop gear isnt that great and plenty of people will not only do fine but better without it.

Rift gear in the cash store is basically this: I can take 5 seconds to spend $10 on a $5 piece of scrap or I can take 20min and spend nothing but time on a $20 gem that will actually be useful for awhile. No matter what route you take the gem is better than the scrap so the cash isn't really buying you power...

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by kyssari

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days.

They really don't..

When you don't limit it to boosts or cosmetic stuff and start doing stuff like equipment restrictions, or the far worse actual equipment, you crossed the line that invalidates the "We're not pay to win!!" argument..

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days. Sure theres gear sold for cash in the store but have you even taken the time to compare it to gear you can craft or do dungeons for / get from rep vendors / pvp / etc? Cash shop gear isnt that great and plenty of people will not only do fine but better without it.

Rift gear in the cash store is basically this: I can take 5 seconds to spend $10 on a $5 piece of scrap or I can take 20min and spend nothing but time on a $20 gem that will actually be useful for awhile. No matter what route you take the gem is better than the scrap so the cash isn't really buying you power...

agree 100% with f2p model.

as it concerns gear sold in cash shop, is NORMAL mode's dungeon gear.  you cant enter raids unless you acquire reputation / vendor / expert dungeon gear, which is only obtainable through game.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

as it concerns gear sold in cash shop, is NORMAL mode's dungeon gear.  you cant enter raids unless you acquire reputation / vendor / expert dungeon gear, which is only obtainable through game.

my philosophy is... if they're selling gear directly it's pay 2 win... unless they'd have the option to buy cash shop currency with in game currency - than that'd be fine, but it also wouldn't make a lot of sence I guess

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991

my philosophy is... if they're selling gear directly it's pay 2 win... unless they'd have the option to buy cash shop currency with in game currency - than that'd be fine, but it also wouldn't make a lot of sence I guess

buying REX with gold and then make it credits (1250 credits) to buy from cash shop. thats how you buy from cash shop with ingame currency. is that ok now?

buying REX with gold and then make it credits (1250 credits) to buy from cash shop. thats how you buy from cash shop with ingame currency. is that ok now?

wasn't aware of that option, but yeah... makes it tolerable if it's accessible via in game credits (I didn't check the shop in details yet) unless there's a catch.

It's stupid, no doubt about it and I don't like it anyhow.. but makes it tolerable knowing that

wasn't aware of that option, but yeah... makes it tolerable if it's accessible via in game credits (I didn't check the shop in details yet) unless there's a catch.

It's stupid, no doubt about it and I don't like it anyhow.. but makes it tolerable knowing that

i play EvE many years and it uses PLEX, which is a similar option to REX. Imo, is one of the most excellent options and i was always wondering why only CCP used this all this years. i hope RIFT could take advantage of this, as CCP did and have a very good ingame economy.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    This is not pay to win. While I disagree with Trion's actions, at least, they are not selling the top end gear. Or worse, like Neverwinter has done, some gear is only attainable through the cash shop(epic enchantments).

Not seeing how its different.

Both are obtainable through normal gameplay.

Both can be sped up via the cash shop.

Both can convert in game currency to cash shop currency.

Don't pretend that Rift is on another level to Neverwinter. It isn't. If you dislike one, you should dislike both.

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70

This is just my humble opinion about RiFT the MMORPG.

Tried it over the weekend and today -> it was de-install day. I am sorry, but i just don´t see the aura, the soul behind this game at all. First and foremost the game looks really bad, many textures are extremely low resoutlion and then the "style-art" opted ain´t my thing, but this ain´t the games fault, but the game looks just bad at 3x 1080p at ultra.

Then there is the combat, for me it is about as vivid and fun like the one in Vanguard. Very slow paced (lvl 10+), i believe it has even slower attack animation than Lotro and others, this is a major issue i have with the game. If graphic aren´t good, the gameplay has to be fun.

Sadly it is not, at least i haven´t found fun in the slow-attack-movement animation (in and ooc). The best feature is or are the up to 35? diffrent class combinations, but that is just bonkers.. because i bet there are 2/3 OP-builds making that move adding 35 class combo reduntant. At the end, you have a mediocre game at best. Visually (Fidelity), technically and gameplay wise the game is no phun at all, after playing Defiance i can fairly say : Trion Worlds aren´t good developers (just my 2 cents)

- Rift is there first child and to me it adds nothing new to the table, some will like it, others won´t.. and now it´s gone P2W?

- Defiance is there second child and not going into details but, this FPS-MMO with some Borderlands "jizz" over it, clearly shows = Trion World ain´t at the same levels of other companies, developers. I was really dissapointed with Rift, this so called God-MMORPG or what-ever the pro Rift ppl. tell you. Just my 2 cents. Have fun with Rift.

i play EvE many years and it uses PLEX, which is a similar option to REX. Imo, is one of the most excellent options and i was always wondering why only CCP used this all this years. i hope RIFT could take advantage of this, as CCP did and have a very good ingame economy.

yeah, I'm playing EVE as well but with EVE it's different... PLEX is a part of the games economics and it's a part of the in game trading system.

Like you, I always wondered why devs aren't using this more often... It's kind of a win-win situation xD

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

God..people's perception of Pay to Win is very distorted.

People whine about Pay to win these days just because they have to put some effort in to it while others who are AS LAZY can just buy their way to the end. Does getting to the end (faster) mean P2W? Not for me. Does getting something exclusively powerful which can only be obtained through paying IRL money mean P2W? Definitely.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

I guess that's the price to pay when you center almost everything around end game raiding, yet have a large segment of the audience that could care less about doing raids, yet are unable to get any kind of gear progression at max level other than by raiding.

Now that they're F2P, I guess they need to have options for gear progression for those gamers who don't like raiding and Trion is obviously unwilling to place end game gear progression in any other type of content besides raiding, so it goes into the cash shop.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Come on people, there is no such thing as pay2win in PVE. Claiming anything related to PVE is pay2win is just stupid.
    PVP competitive advantages bought with RMT is pay2win, nothing else end of story.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

well if u can afford it then who cares? u can hate all u want to. I can afford it so if I decide to pay to win then I will stand there for 5 min and let u point and laugh at me and call me "pro". then afterwards I will play and u can stand there and do the same to the next guy u want to make fun of.

• dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

it's not raid gear it's world gear that can get you into experts but you'll still be lacking in raids. Also you can earn all that gear within the game without paying cash faster than you were able to before Rift went f2p.