Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player? Too bad.

DicharekDicharek Member UncommonPosts: 177

Started playing at day one and picked up the poison maker profession, VIP status and all.

Everything was fine, you quickly realised the game was quite shallow, lacking content, but it's ok because you know more is being added as time goes by. It didn't really matter that the open PvP didn't fill any function at all except for griefing, but it felt kind of good knowing that after a 1000 kills I'd get a special title and unlock some new kind of cool ability.

Now you could argue that caravan raiding, school spying and stealing books also is part of the open world PvP, but is it really? Nah, school spying is done at schools as well as filling the library with secrets, and caravans always take the same route so you can raid all day long without even moving (I know I did), this makes any kind of meaningful PvP only happen on a handful of locations. A clever way to mask what could really just aswell be instanced PvP in any other game.

I really didn't have a problem with this at all.

The problem I've got with AoW came when creating an alt to play with my friends. So why create an alt? Because as 4 royal guards at level 5 you can easily gank a lvl 25 whatever, if you played on black tortoise a couple of weeks after launch, we probably killed you at least once. However I'm not here bragging about how big of an asshole I am, because at this time I was top 30 on the server with my main in my profession by just leveling it every day, and I quickly realised that there is no way my alt could ever be as good as my main even if I put in 10x the time on it. Simply because you're capped in the progress you can make each day, and this is my problem with the game;

If you created your character 1 day post-launch you can never be the best. If you created a poison maker 1 day after me, you could never reach my ranking, even if you spent much more time on it and probably deserved it more.  And this was just an example because this daily cap applies to every skill you can progress in the game. There's only 1 exception to the rule and that's max level, because yes, the game has levels. But so what? you can't reach max level anytime soon no matter how much you play every day. 

TL;DR: Daily caps are the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed. 

Ok I admit, I do have a problem with the stupid PvP. Kill whoever, whenever and get nothing but jailtime, which you have to serve in ingame time, wtf?

Of course I realise the game can have changed since I played, and might this observation might not be accurate anymore.

Comments

• AbsolemAbsolem Member Posts: 19

I guess...

If all you care about is having the most xp in whatever skill or being highest ranked, world first blah blah whatever... then I think you're a silly gamer.  There's still a hard cap on how high you can get your skills, so who cares, unless you're JUST playing to get rankings. I just couldn't care less about World's Best Painter or whatever.

I like the daily caps because it means that simply having no life isn't the most efficient way to level up.  I can go in for a couple hours, cap my crafting skills, top off my XP, then there's still TONS of things I can do to advance my character that aren't capped daily, and I can just grind all night and day if I really wanted to.  Unless you play A LOT, EVERY DAY, you won't even encounter the caps in anything.

You also get evil points by random killing, which will make NPCs in towns attack you in certain cases.  AND you'll MOST LIKELY have a bad reputation with several guilds who can and will take time out of their day to make yours shitty.  Also, if you exceed a certain infamy, it doesn't decay anymore, and you get executed if you get sent to jail, and get a pretty crippling debuff for 24hrs.  I mean... that's pretty severe.

I'd enjoy it if open PvP had more of a purpose too, like maybe you can get a small %age of taels they are carrying, or something like that, but that just opens it up to wide scale greifing.  Full-loot would be awesome if they completely changed everything about how you make and acquire gear. :P  That would just open it up to player-farming and all-around meh.  There's also the bounty system.  If you want open-PvP to have a purpose, become a constable...  If you want to get rewarded for killing nubs, play Darkfall. :P

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    bet that daily cap can be overcome with real money. . . . . . in fact if it cant I would be extreamly surprised cause that sounds like a oney maker in a F2P if I ever heard one.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

No, Squeak, you can't... not for any of the craft skills or for meridians.
  • terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

The daily caps annoy the crap out of me. Especially when it tells you to quit whatever it is you are doing because you wont get experience.

For example. As a beginner miner you only need to hit about 10 nodes before you have reached you leveling limit for that day. But, there is a second cap called vigor, on all daily crafting activities. So, you could choose to continue mining, but you'll get a warning each time until your vigor runs out.

I actually reached my exp cap on jumping. You heard me right...You get xp for jumping, and mine said I had reached the cap for the day...

So, yes, you'll reach max level eventually. Internal leveling is mainly dictated by time and team practice. You'll still be behind the curve though as others will be on other school internals, skills. Which means if you intend to actively PvP you are well behind the curve.

The top tier crafters also get special perks for being at the top. Rich getting richer sort of thing.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

But the good thing about Age of Wushu is that even having those meridians all the way up isn't enough to win you a fight if you suck.  As a Spiritually Balanced, I could kill many Max Level players, and could be killed by several Flows with Chi players.  I mean even having every meridian you have active fully leveled isn't a huge advantage, and that takes A LONG.

You don't get JUMPING xp, by the way.  You sometimes get ONE XP POINT for jumping, but it's not limited to 10 points a day or something, your XP is capped, but it's not per day, it converts at a steady rate, which can be increased by medicines, divinations and prayers and stuff.

The passive cultivation is probably my favorite thing about AoW, though, because it doesn't force me to do any one thing to level up.  I'm leveling while I stand around in town chatting with my guild.  I'm leveling up while I'm hunting down some douche who just killed a lowbie guild members.  I'm leveling up while I set up my stall to sell items.  I'm even leveling up when I take a break, go to work, or sleep.  As long as there a cap, I'm not gonna be "behind the curve" long at all.  If you level and do team practice every day, you will be competitive with the top tier of players little more than a month, which is MUCH LESS than most games where you can just sit there and grind mobs 24/7 if you want.  I don't know ANY PvP player that doesn't want to hit cap and be done with it.  The whole attraction of PvP is testing your SKILLS against another, which is what AoW lets you do, at least when SnailUSA's shitty servers aren't at 400ms (can't wait to see how Age of Wulin is!!).

Originally posted by Squeak69
    bet that daily cap can be overcome with real money. . . . . . in fact if it cant I would be extreamly surprised cause that sounds like a oney maker in a F2P if I ever heard one.

Skills and internal levels are leveled over time. You can increase the speed they level by doing Team Practice (standing around with 10 people playing ddr basically(not as fun as it sounds, and it doesnt sound fun))

You can also level the skill with npc money with a limit every day. The kicker is you CAN level the skill with cash shop/tradeable money to an unlimited amount as far as I know. The limit here is you need the cultivation (pool of points that goes into your skill)

The cash shop is actually rather limited, clothing, horses, and harvest doubling items.

Real cash can be translated into in game tradeable cash though. (why there is severe inflation)

Originally posted by Absolem

But the good thing about Age of Wushu is that even having those meridians all the way up isn't enough to win you a fight if you suck.  As a Spiritually Balanced, I could kill many Max Level players, and could be killed by several Flows with Chi players.  I mean even having every meridian you have active fully leveled isn't a huge advantage, and that takes A LONG

I don't believe that is true. During school wars and battlegrounds I frequently fight players well above my level.

Example One:One guy was afk for a minute, i took about 20% of his health...

Example Two: Tang was dueling while waiting for TV. Clearly was winning in hits given/CC but couldn't make headway against the different in DPS and HP.

Example Three: School War, takes about ...lowball here...20 people over 20 seconds to down a max level.

---

As far as his other points. Most of the goal based PvP is indeed instanced or cordoned off from the "open world". I rarely see players outside of instance hubs (chengdu/suzhou),  or newbie zones. (mostlybots) 

Spiritually/Mentally Balanced has a good shot against a Max Level 1v1 if you play better.  If you're only doing that much damage, you need to cultivate your skills to level 5, sounds like you have all level 1 attacks.  I leveled all mine to max before Martial Intuition, it makes a huge difference.  That's why your attacks are taking almost no energy to use, and do little damage.

20 seconds is a pretty short fight in Age of Wushu...  and it definitely wouldn't take that long for 20 people.  That's a HUGE exaggeration.  If 20 people score ONE HIT EACH, blocked or unblocked (which it won't be, if there's 20 people), even a Max Level is dead.  Lowball..?  What a joke, lol.

Your story about the Tangmen is pretty useless without knowing the level of the two.  The point is that it doesn't take a long time to get to a competitive level, not that you're competitive as soon as you download the game.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Dicharek

Started playing at day one and picked up the poison maker profession, VIP status and all.

Everything was fine, you quickly realised the game was quite shallow, lacking content, but it's ok because you know more is being added as time goes by. It didn't really matter that the open PvP didn't fill any function at all except for griefing, but it felt kind of good knowing that after a 1000 kills I'd get a special title and unlock some new kind of cool ability.

Now you could argue that caravan raiding, school spying and stealing books also is part of the open world PvP, but is it really? Nah, school spying is done at schools as well as filling the library with secrets, and caravans always take the same route so you can raid all day long without even moving (I know I did), this makes any kind of meaningful PvP only happen on a handful of locations. A clever way to mask what could really just aswell be instanced PvP in any other game.

I really didn't have a problem with this at all.

The problem I've got with AoW came when creating an alt to play with my friends. So why create an alt? Because as 4 royal guards at level 5 you can easily gank a lvl 25 whatever, if you played on black tortoise a couple of weeks after launch, we probably killed you at least once. However I'm not here bragging about how big of an asshole I am, because at this time I was top 30 on the server with my main in my profession by just leveling it every day, and I quickly realised that there is no way my alt could ever be as good as my main even if I put in 10x the time on it. Simply because you're capped in the progress you can make each day, and this is my problem with the game;

If you created your character 1 day post-launch you can never be the best. If you created a poison maker 1 day after me, you could never reach my ranking, even if you spent much more time on it and probably deserved it more.  And this was just an example because this daily cap applies to every skill you can progress in the game. There's only 1 exception to the rule and that's max level, because yes, the game has levels. But so what? you can't reach max level anytime soon no matter how much you play every day. 

TL;DR: Daily caps are the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed. 

Ok I admit, I do have a problem with the stupid PvP. Kill whoever, whenever and get nothing but jailtime, which you have to serve in ingame time, wtf?

Of course I realise the game can have changed since I played, and might this observation might not be accurate anymore.

tl;dr - You need to understand the game before posting silly comments.

Now for the details:

1) PK serves plenty of purposes other than "griefing".  For instance, you kill someone to secure your farming route on nodes.  Or, you kill someone in script stealing to get a quick script capture.

2) None of those are truly instanced, so it's clearly open world - by simple definition.  Maybe you could give the argument that script stealing is instanced, but it's instanced for the entire server.  You are also completely ignoring killing orders which apply everywhere, even instances.

3) There's nothing special about royal guards - they aren't too good.  If you outnumber anyone that badly, you'll take them down even with level 1 shallow kungfu (assuming you don't mass cancel each other).

4) The cap is to prevent instant max crafters, the entire game is progression by time (perhaps you noticed how you level your inners?).  As others noted there are many things to do each day, so it really doesn't become much of an issue.  Legendary is fairly easy to attain and from there you are able to compete for the #1 slot if you wish.  Once you are on the same tier, its truly about who crafts more so you can spend all day farming to make potions.  Thus, it's only time bound progression for a short time.  The rest of the end game is all about who devotes more of their play time to it.