Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am racist! Does race matter to you?

emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 307

FFXIV has brought about a feeling for me I just can't get over.  The lack of racial choices.  In ffxiv, you get to choose only the races from the original ffxi, with different names. 

I for one don't like to play as  a human upright all the time.  MMO's are overladen with humans, elves, and little people.  I like to see unique races.  I like the cat looking peoples of EQ, cats that look like cats not humans.  The lizards and wolf/vamp options of elder scrolls.  Red XIII was a feline race that looked like a dog, hell I like that.  WoW has all kinds of options that seem to promote diversity.

I think that adding races would increase the player base.  I mean there is a ton of people in the world that are just freaks, I guess I may be one.  I crave something more unreal.

I know races are expensive to texture and armor.  It would be insane to add these features to a game if it gives no added value.  I guess I have a question, would unique races draw you to a game?

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have to agree I usually don't like playing humans and feel surprised when they are actually the most played races in these games usually.  I figure it is fantasy so lets play some oddball characters , maybe characters neither male or female, etc...  But we seem to always fall back on the tried and true. 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

I dont know about draw me to a game, but I am with you its about time games think of more diverse characters.

Humans/Elves/Dwarves - Done to death.

Would love some more originality, heck look at Tolkeins book for some ideas, heck even LOTRO had spiders on etenmoors, whilst not directly a playable pve race, at least was soemthing a little diffrerent

Why can't they consider animal races, instead of humanoid figures :(...

All power to the non humanoids

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Species.

L2biology

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Species.

L2biology

Point taken.  Going by ffxiv terminology.  It says race because they are all considered homosapien in ffxiv, but your right we need to change the species up.

• UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by emperorhades1. Red XIII was a feline race that looked like a dog, hell I like that.

To be honest having a race like RED XIII would be awsome and new/original.I would love to play that too,too bad people like to play that "Loli" trash characters... or "Super Model" characters.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I usually play human or human like characters in any mmo so this doesnt bother me.  I dont like playing races that looks too weird especially races that have a hunched back.  Simply because I cant relate to the weird species and i think armor looks cooler on human type races. Usually the Japanese like to have beautiful and cute type of creatures unless its Resident Evil of course lol.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I usually only play human. So that's fine with me.

I feel as if being a human not playing human is a betrayal. It is like not supporting the team of your own country during World Cup or Olympics and cheer for another country. It is a traversity. I'll only cheer for another country after my own country bowed out.

As the general in Avatar said, "How does it feel to betray your own race?"

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I usually only play human. So that's fine with me.

I feel as if being a human not playing human is a betrayal. It is like not supporting the team of your own country during World Cup or Olympics and cheer for another country. It is a traversity. I'll only cheer for another country after my own country bowed out.

As the general in Avatar said, "How does it feel to betray your own race?"

Humans! Humans! Humans! Humans! Humans! Humans!

YAY HUMANS!!!!!!!!

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    They plan to add new races eventually. There was a poll a while back about it and Viera won by a large majority if I recall. They didn't say when they plan to implement them though... it may be a while after launch or it could even be a launch day surprise (just as Scholar was the other week). They do want to add more though.
    The OP is a disguised Reptilian, dont trust him
  • tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I'd rather have more classes and job choices as well as more content.
    Originally posted by Alberel
    They plan to add new races eventually. There was a poll a while back about it and Viera won by a large majority if I recall. They didn't say when they plan to implement them though... it may be a while after launch or it could even be a launch day surprise (just as Scholar was the other week). They do want to add more though.

I believe if there is a surprise it will be corsair based on the marauder class.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Species.

L2biology

‘Race’ is an arbitrary distinction, referring to anything from ‘the Celtic race’ to ‘the human race’, in that case also the species Homo sapiens—in fact, today only the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens.

Also, for the purposes of these fantasy settings, everything's a race, because their inhabitants haven't learned to biology, so we have no way of knowing how the races really relate to each other. Tolkien's one of the few who bothered trying to explain (hobbits, dwarves, elves, and men are all human according to him). Most of the time we have no idea, only that there are a bunch of different-looking peoples.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
    if they do add new races later i hope it will have both male and female version of it and not just one sex like the original mithras and galkas in FF11. Does viera race even have a male version?
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Alberel

So now we get skimpy cat girls wearing mini skirts and booty shorts as well as actual playboy bunnies in practically lingerie LMAO!

Originally posted by tkreep
    if they do add new races later i hope it will have both male and female version of it and not just one sex like the original mithras and galkas in FF11. Does viera race even have a male version?

I always wondered that playing FFXII I can't remember now if they ever explained it but in the cities if you ever saw a couple it was a Viera girl and a Hume guy. Maybe they were born from the trees I should just Google this but can't be bothered.

Originally posted by tkreep
    The OP is a disguised Reptilian, dont trust him

You broke my invisibility, but then the Please Validate you are human proves you wrong.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

In FFXIV, I find myself drawn to the Sea Wolf Galka race, but that's because I like being a sea going fisherman or carpenter in just about any game I play.  In WoW, I think I'm the only person that fishes regularly anymore lol.  I'm a volunteer fisherman for my entire guild to make enough banquets for 4-5 raids a week.

I'm almost never human in MMOs, usually I'm an orc or troll depending on the lore behind them.  I like big brutes and berserkers.  Except in D&D I always liked my half-elven ranger.

Originally posted by Gravarg

In FFXIV, I find myself drawn to the Sea Wolf Galka race, but that's because I like being a sea going fisherman or carpenter in just about any game I play.  In WoW, I think I'm the only person that fishes regularly anymore lol.  I'm a volunteer fisherman for my entire guild to make enough banquets for 4-5 raids a week.

I'm almost never human in MMOs, usually I'm an orc or troll depending on the lore behind them.  I like big brutes and berserkers.  Except in D&D I always liked my half-elven ranger.

I'm always the woods, nature, hunter race whether it be elf or whatever I am just glad they added male Mi'qote nice to spice things up a bit instead of being the "Hippie Elf"

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    I'm going to post this here because it sort of fits. I cannot stand Lalafells, and  this is coming from someone who played a Taru in FFXI.  I think they look dumb and even their race name is stupid imo. I know this will get a lot of negative reactions, but surely I am not the only one.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    reason why i rolled troll in wow before they were cool, they were so rare that you could play all day and wouldnt see one, the fact taht you are troll was good bonus too :D , in reality ff got humans, elfs/cats,orcs.gnomes well equivalents anyway,  even if they all look similar there is no really unique race
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by rhavok
    I'm going to post this here because it sort of fits. I cannot stand Lalafells, and  this is coming from someone who played a Taru in FFXI.  I think they look dumb and even their race name is stupid imo. I know this will get a lot of negative reactions, but surely I am not the only one.

Agreed. I've always thought they looked really strange and creepy -- and they're supposed to be the "cute" race! lol

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I prefer non-humanoids as well, although I also like little-folk (halflings or lalafel in this case).  Everquest had the best racial choices for me. Loved having frogloks, ratonga, ogres, trolls, iksar, arasai, sarnak and halflings.

I will probably be a lalafel in 14. Although miqote and roegadyn are pretty neat too.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I played Beta but I can't remember character creation, was race any significance to starting zone or stats?
  • AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

Probably not starting zone but race and its light/dark counterparts changed base stats a little bit.

Some races will prefer certain classes but the differences are minor and really shouldn't mean too much.