Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow, all the hair styles are stereotypical japanese straight. no variety at all

2»

Comments

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by emperorhades1

No real African head styles.  The option to look sinister,

i dont find africans to be all that sinister

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by wilberg
    Originally posted by macarter0327
    I always give my main in MMOs a giant red afro. I can't do that in this game. Not everyone wants to turn japanese. 

In a interview thing the creator of the game said they will be implementing more hair styles. I didn't see the ones they had in the game as 'Japanese' and if they were to you, the makers of the game are Japanese so....we don't see our game creators beating down doors to tailor to all cultures.

When we release a game like WoW over there we get rid of content they may not approve of, and add content they can relate to. It's called localizing.

The problem is Japanese, unlike Chinese and Korean MMOs, do not really care whether westerners play their game or not.
     It was meant to be local for THEM, not for YOU.

You just have look at all the hi-end Japanese electronics that they DON'T release overseas and you know what I mean.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    I always give my main in MMOs a giant red afro. I can't do that in this game. Not everyone wants to turn japanese. 

In a interview thing the creator of the game said they will be implementing more hair styles. I didn't see the ones they had in the game as 'Japanese' and if they were to you, the makers of the game are Japanese so....we don't see our game creators beating down doors to tailor to all cultures.

When we release a game like WoW over there we get rid of content they may not approve of, and add content they can relate to. It's called localizing.

The problem is Japanese, unlike Chinese and Korean MMOs, do not really care whether westerners play their game or not.

odd that they would bother going through a translation process if they didnt 'care' on some level, if even just for the $$.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

You just have look at all the hi-end Japanese electronics that they DON'T release overseas and you know what I mean.

LOL WHAT?!  Are you serious?

Yeah unlike Korean developers who ship half ass localizations of their game, that are different versions from the real game, and don't even get updates at the same rate Square Enix provides worldwide release dates, full (and fantastic) localization, and no region lock.

Korean MMO developers need to be paying attention as this is how it is done properly.  I feel sorry for people who play Korean MMO's because they get treated like such second class citizens, it is shameful how little Korean dev studios care about western audiences and how much they isolate them.  I mean when was the last time we even got a Korean MMO before it had started to nosedive in Korea?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's a Japanese game, expect Japanese style.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    Well at least the worst thing anyone has to complain about is not being able to have a red afro. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by tokini

odd that they would bother going through a translation process if they didnt 'care' on some level, if even just for the $$.

This is entirely not true, They are even localizing the data center to be in NA.

Square gets a lot of their money from the western audience, they know it, they respect us, and they want our business.  Not sure where you got this entirely untrue idea. :-(

China actually forces North American companies to localize their products to an extreme amount, for instance Iron Man 3 was entirely different when it released in China.  

Square goes to great lengths to take the western audience into account.

Originally posted by Murugan

Yeah unlike Korean developers who ship half ass localizations of their game, that are different versions from the real game, and don't even get updates at the same rate Square Enix provides worldwide release dates, full (and fantastic) localization, and no region lock.

Korean MMO developers need to be paying attention as this is how it is done properly.  I feel sorry for people who play Korean MMO's because they get treated like such second class citizens, it is shameful how little Korean dev studios care about western audiences and how much they isolate them.  I mean when was the last time we even got a Korean MMO before it had started to nosedive in Korea?

The red part that you've mention is irrelevant because the mentality of Koreans and Japanese are totally different.

Koreans will do things western way if it can make them western money. Chinese is also starting to do the same with mmos.

Japanese just simply don't care about doing things your way at all. They do things the way that THEY feel best. The apply the arts that THEY feel looks best according to THEIR perspective.

So of the best MMOs that Japanese have aren't even open to westerners, AT ALL, and have not plans to be localized for you. They opened it to the Eastern countries (they localized it to the Chinese) but not to the west because they don't believe "gaijins" will appreciate it.

And from the looks of this thread they seem to be right.

• guin10guin10 Member Posts: 21

You're joking right?

Korean mmorpg:

- beta exclusively for korean players

- we need to wait months for the release

- we need to wait months for patches/updates

- producers don't read our feedback

FF XIV A Realm Reborn:

- beta in the same day for all regions

- worldwide release

- patches/updates in the same day for all regions

- producers read our feedback

Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by tokini

This is entirely not true, They are even localizing the data center to be in NA.

Square gets a lot of their money from the western audience, they know it, they respect us, and they want our business.  Not sure where you got this entirely untrue idea. :-(

China actually forces North American companies to localize their products to an extreme amount, for instance Iron Man 3 was entirely different when it released in China.  

Square goes to great lengths to take the western audience into account.

Yes but they are still not westernising the arts and the concept of it.

Final Fantasy is probably the only one of the few big Japanese franchise that was localized for the Americans. All the other big ones (such as Gundam, Macross, etc) they simply don't give a shit about western audiences. Yet they do for Chinese and there are fans of those franchises from Europe (French in particular, they love it).

Originally posted by Murugan

The red part that you've mention is irrelevant because the mentality of Koreans and Japanese are totally different.

Koreans will do things western way if it can make them western money. Chinese is also starting to do the same with mmos.

Japanese just simply don't care about doing things your way at all. They do things the way that THEY feel best. The apply the arts that THEY feel looks best according to THEIR perspective.

So of the best MMOs that Japanese have aren't even open to westerners, AT ALL, and have not plans to be localized for you. They opened it to the Eastern countries (they localized it to the Chinese) but not to the west because they don't believe "gaijins" will appreciate it.

And from the looks of this thread they seem to be right.

I've never met a single person who played a Korean MMO and said "Boy I'm glad they "westernized" this, it is so much better.  I don't have to worry about the latest content updates AND I get to wait several years before I can even play unless I steal a Korean person's identity.

Awesome!

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by guin10

You're joking right?

Korean mmorpg:

- beta exclusively for korean players

- we need to wait months for the release

- we need to wait months for patches/updates

- producers don't read our feedback

FF XIV A Realm Reborn:

- beta in the same day for all regions

- worldwide release

- patches/updates in the same day for all regions

- producers read our feedback

I know right?!

Damn those Japanese with their overly normal looking hair during BETA.

My character doesn't look AMERIKAN enough. Needs to be at least 50lbs overweight and an early onset of male pattern baldness at the tender age of 30.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Some really interesting profiling in the first few posts...

:stare at the title: What the hell possessed me to come in here at all?

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

You know what tells me this game is very good? Other than having played it?

Its post like this. This guys biggest complaint about this game is they dont have afros........

Another guy posted "This games fatal flaw is that the game starts at max lvl"...... He only got to lvl 30.....

someone else complained "The quest were mindless".....

Another "The combat at low levels is tab 1-2-3 and boring"......

Several of those complaints arent even truthful, but if these are the best reasons people can come up with as to why they wont be playing this game, then SE has done a hell of a job making a good mmo.

Much better than some of the complaints from other recent mmos.

SWTOR: No endgame. Bad customer support( i experience that one myself)

GW2: No endgame. Level sync in low level areas when you didnt want to. Lengendary weapons where purely for looks?!?! No holy trinity. Your class didnt matter cause everyone could do all jobs.(tank, heal dps)

Something else I really enjoy about FF mmos, is somehow they find away to keep the "unwanted" out of the community. I never came across so many unintelligent people until i started playing Wow. Just standing around listening to public chat in cities I was blown away at the low class of players in the game. I experience the same in SWTOR.

So this guy can keep is red afro and hopefully find something else to play, far,far from me and my friends.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by bronxknyght

Kind of glad we wont see retards like your character running around in XIV. That being said there will be different textures to hair coming in time for launch. We were shown african-american hair textures during a previous live letter. You can dye those red if you like.

I don't want "african american"hairstyles, I want my goddamn red afro. the devs of this game already proved they are lazy and incopetent & don't listen to their playerbase (it took the game failing for them to add something as simple as jumping) so I doubt they will add anything else to character customization. 

OP wants a jewfro

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

Originally posted by Arcticnoon

You know what tells me this game is very good? Other than having played it?

Its post like this. This guys biggest complaint about this game is they dont have afros........

Another guy posted "This games fatal flaw is that the game starts at max lvl"...... He only got to lvl 30.....

someone else complained "The quest were mindless".....

Another "The combat at low levels is tab 1-2-3 and boring"......

Several of those complaints arent even truthful, but if these are the best reasons people can come up with as to why they wont be playing this game, then SE has done a hell of a job making a good mmo.

Much better than some of the complaints from other recent mmos.

SWTOR: No endgame. Bad customer support( i experience that one myself)

GW2: No endgame. Level sync in low level areas when you didnt want to. Lengendary weapons where purely for looks?!?! No holy trinity. Your class didnt matter cause everyone could do all jobs.(tank, heal dps)

Something else I really enjoy about FF mmos, is somehow they find away to keep the "unwanted" out of the community. I never came across so many unintelligent people until i started playing Wow. Just standing around listening to public chat in cities I was blown away at the low class of players in the game. I experience the same in SWTOR.

So this guy can keep is red afro and hopefully find something else to play, far,far from me and my friends.

the OP may be a good guy, a generous guildmate, a patient teamate.

but because of his red afro you want to exclude him. interesting.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Sometimes I have to LOL when I read these posts where people are either being sarcastic (my assumption here because no one is that silly!) or truly are surprised by the various silly bits of an Asian game.  Asian culture has a specific viewpoint and expectation to follow that feeds into a billion+ potential cash shop players.  They will do it THEIR way :)

Originally posted by Comaf

Sometimes I have to LOL when I read these posts where people are either being sarcastic (my assumption here because no one is that silly!) or truly are surprised by the various silly bits of an Asian game.  Asian culture has a specific viewpoint and expectation to follow that feeds into a billion+ potential cash shop players.  They will do it THEIR way :)

First of all there is no cash shop in FFXIV.

Second of all they ARE adding more hairstyles, and will even have an in-game barber (NOT CASH SHOP) where you can change your hairstyle as they add new ones.

So no they won't just do things THEIR way, they have proven quite well that they listen to feedback from fans.

I'm just speaking in general here, I do not know if they will add Ronald McDonald hair for the OP, I think he was probably just trolling everyone with this thread.  But if enough people requested it in feedback, I can pretty much garuntee it would find its way in game.  So much else has.