Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is excellent

12346»

Comments

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by BishopTx

I just started playing, level 10 archer, and cant bring myself to play anymore. Most antiquated MMO in a long time. Hotbar combat system waiting for global cool downs = boring.

- Combat system is outdated, slow and boring. Combos neat but overall combat lacking

- No spoken dialogue and some really long winded text that is monotonous to read and boring

- Fetch quest after fetch quest - what is this 2002?

- Everything is fairy based, pixies and magic. A normal bow and arrow shot doesn't even make a bow sounds and has sparkles. Stupid.

I hate the game. Its from 2002. Graphically it looks really nice, but its outdated.

there are A LOT of better MMOS out there.....

Antiquated? since when did you become the MMO god! lol I think the game is well done and offers tons! then again if your looking for something new then this will disappoint. I enjoy the game for what it is ... a game that made the MMO genre so much fun. I like the old school feel... Studios are trying to re-invent the MMO, but perhaps that's the wrong way to go about it! The old school feel is definitely a great feel and I am enjoying the Beta!

• PuffingtonPuffington Member Posts: 35

1. This is the first beta since, vanilla WoW, that i've actually couldn't wait to get in and play some more. I don't event think of the fact that I'm going to get wiped, because I'm just having fun.

2. The people crying about "games should be more casual because we don't have enough time" if you don't have enough time you're issue is that you probably shouldn't be playing video games and getting what you needed done done! Do we ask the NFL to shorten the games because 3 hours+ is too long? 

3. All the people saying "OMG have you seen how asian this looks!!" are you aware you're playing Final Fantasy?? They've had the same art style since coming out of sprites, what did you expect?? 

tl;dr: I think for fans of the Final Fantasy series SE really made up for the failings of v.1 and have a product now that can really compete. If you like solid mmo features, with great customization, then try this out. If you dislike asian art-style, and targetted combat then this probably isn't for you, move on.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Reborn is a beautiful world.  I love just walking about in it.

However my normal choice for leveling is doing quests which most often involve combat.  Since a lot of my time in the game will be spent doing combat, I need to be able to enjoy or at least find it kinda interesting.  Reborn fails at combat for me.  I've heard at higher levels its better, but I'm not going to spend hours or days doing something I don't like on the off chance it might get better.

Maybe they will add skill cooldowns and I'll end up being okay with it, but right now. I have no interest.

It seems like there isn't much depth to making a class your own.  In Rifts I can mix and match classes to get what I want and I don't have to regrind each class to do it.  Plus there is a skill tree for each class. Does FF have anything like that besides a narrow range of subskills?

It has Old School features. 

To me it looks like TSW or SWToR all over again.  It had a ton of money spent in development, so its going to need a fairly high level of sustained subs to keep itself going.  I don't see that happening in todays marketplace.

Its on 2 systems and its got the FF ip, so its going to sell a lot of boxes. But sub number 4, 6, 8 months later?  Plus we don't know how console uses will react to playing a fee to Sony to be online and a sub fee.  It looks like ftp mmos won't need membership, but Reborn isn't ftp.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
    They'll bring voice overs?
  • BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

Huge improvement over 1.0! And it don't think it's because they dumbed it down.  It is still vastly more complicated than other MMOs out there and that is because of the level of intricacy which we've come to expect out of final fantasy. 

I will admit that after playing some more "action" oriented combat MMOs it took some getting used to the whole cool down thing again.  But, I did and found that combat was fun and strategic.  FATE added a new level of things to do in the game. 

True, there is nothing ground breaking.  I think though, many of us who have been looking for a good, well-rounded, solid mmo will find a home here.  It is not a gimmick. It is not a one trick pony and think that this is what many mmo gamers have been waiting on.   I am not proclaiming that everyone will love it, nor do I think it's the WoW killer but I do think it will have a solid fan base for a good many years. 

I will be playing it for sure! 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Brialyn

Huge improvement over 1.0! And it don't think it's because they dumbed it down.

True, there is nothing ground breaking.  I think though, many of us who have been looking for a good, well-rounded, solid mmo will find a home here.

Yes, we have, and a good well rounded MMO doesn't have stupid quest hubs with arrows telling you where to go. They absolutely dumbed it down and removed all the good features. Instead of beefing up those features they caved and just made a generic WoW clone. Which is exactly what we HAVEN'T been looking for another of.

• VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by nomss

yes, right now in beta theirs only lmiited voice overs. But on release you should see how many japanese voice actors they got for this game. 

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
    Originally posted by Ventlus

yes, right now in beta theirs only lmiited voice overs. But on release you should see how many japanese voice actors they got for this game. 

Um, what about English?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Ayulin

So, again... it has nothing to do with "people growing up and having responsibilities now". There have been "grown-ups with responsibilities" playing these games for years. People's attention spans have shortened, they've become more and more impatient, and their need for frequent reward has increased.

That's all that's changed.

So, if you prefer things to be faster and more casual or what-not, then fine. That's your prerogative. But let's stop hanging it on this fallacy that "gamers are grown up now, with responsibilities and less time" has anything to do with it. It doesn't.

I can appreciate what you're saying. When I was 20 I ONLY played on weekends. That was enough. There was no need for me to reach end game as fast as possible or "complete as much content" as fast as possible. Being a part of the game was enough.

When I hear someone say they need more content to do I wonder if these are the same people who claim they don't have the time to play an old school MMORPG.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Ventlus

Um, what about English?

They have full English voice acting (and French and German I believe). It sounds like the contracts they have with the voice actors only allow them to include them with the full-release for some reason. So basically the voice acting is all done and ready to go, but we just won't have it until either open-beta or official launch.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

True, there is nothing ground breaking.  I think though, many of us who have been looking for a good, well-rounded, solid mmo will find a home here.

Yes, we have, and a good well rounded MMO doesn't have stupid quest hubs with arrows telling you where to go. They absolutely dumbed it down and removed all the good features. Instead of beefing up those features they caved and just made a generic WoW clone. Which is exactly what we HAVEN'T been looking for another of.

The game is traditional in a lot of sense, it has a lot of things players are familiar with.  But at the same time it makes all of those systems it's own while adding it's own flare and style into them.  This is exactly what games these past few years have been missing the mark on.  To work on tradition and iterate to the point where there is a hint of a feeling that you've been there -- that you're home -- when you play, yet iterate it enough that you can't really quite put your finger on why it also is itself.  That it simply has that feeling that it is it's namesake while welcoming all with the core and solid game play that is built on by other systems.

It is a journey and many of the quests and FATES are what you would expect; people don't treat you like some hero right off, and expect you to do grunt work.  The 1-10 tutorial quests are like the daily lives of a struggling adventurer, with 11-15 starting to pick up as more people recognize you (even the main bad guys).  You get your first villain encounter at around level 10, and some great cutscenes start happening at level 15 or so with the story advancing further and further.  Systems also unlock at 10, such as leves and Inns, the armory system, crafting, guildhests and a variety of things.  You also get to see the differences between the different areas through airships at level 15 or just simply traveling into new areas or walk on foot.  Then the chocobo system goes into effect and you suddenly have a companion to travel with when you want, or to ride upon when you want to pick up the speed.  Even the hunting log is additional experience as you explore the lands and complete them for experience boosts.

The combat is smooth, the animations are excellent (for the most part), and higher level attacks just get better and better as a whole.  Add to it the combos system, the armory system in that you can equip most any abilities from another class into your main, the specific class mechanics, the limit breaks.  Any who claim it is a WoW clone is likely just looking for it when it isn't there, seeing things that don't exist, or perhaps don't understand what a clone is (which is a common thing with video games and people being unable to decipher differences and the like as they expect some things, want others, and need what they don't know).  

This is why a lot of other games don't live up to expectations.  People don't know better and can't comprehend certain things; they say things, but once they get them they realize they don't want it anymore and abandon it.  Final Fantasy XIV is the least offense in that it doesn't hide it's traditional values, but adds it's own feeling to it enough and it's own iteration and systems and others things that it's a game that's familiar while also being one that's incredibly refreshing and a solid, well made experience that oozes out Final Fantasy potential.

The cutscenes and stories you get just prior to unlocking the airship pass are really riveting and leave you wanting for more.  Once you delve into the armory system and join other guilds to unlock new abilities or the Advanced Jobs you really start to see the depth.  The crafting and gathering are also a joy, and supplement to the overall unique feeling it hosts while making you feel at home and like it's an old friend that you were just waiting for to come back.

My first few hours into Phase three I was a little offput.  There were times when I kind've wanted my old 1.23 version back.  But as I played I began to realize that this is just a better version of the game.  When I got to level ten and saw the first villain, unlocked the systems I was used to, and began to wonder what it would be like to travel the land with my paladin in his AF armor or double melded plate armor with my chocobo by my side as I partook in fates with others and experienced the multiple storylines and three main diverging storylines that take place.  It became evident to me that tradition is great if tempered in the same way the dev team seems to have done; it hit pretty much all the right places and is an incredible and fun Final Fantasy experience if one has the patience to understand it.

Levequests?  They're so much more fun than they were in the previous phases as well as the last version.  Instead of spending twenty minutes going to a crystal, activating, then anonther five minutes of travel to get to a point, you accept quests suited for that area at a nearby settlement and they are nearby and ready for your enjoyment.  The daily life of your character is also an appreciated feeling, that they treat you as an actual character within the game's universe as opposed to just a player that is reading a single sheet of text to accept a mission and doing something that few care about except maybe the person that gave you the quest.  It has a particular sense of relevance as many important figures are recognizing your exploits and asking you to go to settlements and provide services there to help the overall nation after the calamity that happened five years prior (and all the hints and text and flashbacks you get along the way learning of it).

While I don't normal quote internet personalities, there was a line from Total Biscuit in that he said "The key to a game is to give it a sense of the old, but iterate it enough to give it it's own feeling.  To make it it's own."  (Paraphrased)  This is what Final Fantasy XIV does in spades, in addition to offering a personal rendition of other systems and incorporating it's own ideas along with quite a bit of fanfare for those wanting it.

This all leads to the incredible potential of Final Fantasy XIV and how it can build on the solid foundation it has provided.  People can nitpick all they want with "oh it's not 1.0" or "why are their arrows on the map?  LAME!", but ultimately that's not what makes a game.  It's the game and the systems and the familiarity you feel within a game world, matched by the new world to explore within that feeling and the iterations provided thenceforth.  Luckily the worst comments I've seen were nitpick such as these, with a few who haven't given it ample chance (or played it at all in phase three) saying it's a "WoW" clone.  Though that's kind've a rite of passage nowadays.

I'm waiting to see how they will implement Samurai and Ninja myself, and hope they will be unique class of their own.  Though Musketeer might also be interesting.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Did anyone play PS3 version or play PC version with a Controller and/or use the Cross-Hotbar interface?

I swapped my preorder from CE for PC to CE for PS3 - the controls and gameplay and interface just look SO clutch for console play - I've been waiting for a kick ass MMO to play from my couch for... 10 years?

Ever since True Fantasy Live Online was announced - and then cancelled.

yea its works fine targettign is the main issue really but there is filters you can set. pc version is much better

Any word on if PS3 version is going to require PSN+ and the normal sub fee? Or just do an online pass + sub fee?

I'm probably getting a year of PSN+ anyways just cause it's 50$ and you get free games.

PS3 will not, PS4 however might (they are still negotiating with Sony as Sony announced their "online features in PSN+ only" at E3 and even Square Enix was not aware of this.

Since planetside 2 and warframe wont require PS+ on PS4 i doubt this will too

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    Originally posted by rommello

u gotta wait till there are gameplay videos & playthroughs bro. I got to almost 30 on phase 1 & other than the combat(click click 12345 tab tab repeat) everything was nicely done. The most impressive part of the game was the engine that made the game look much better than say Tera & yet very very low performance cost. Too bad other devs wont get an engine like this any day soon

but anyway making these threads and building up fake hype without the proof of gameplay vids & playthrough behind it is quite worthless stop doing it please

Just so you know NDA hasn't totally been lifted--you are free to discuss the game and show screenshots. but video and recordings of any sort are still prohibited. I'm sorry but I just had to address this. 

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Is it a good game: Yes

Is it something special:: Not in the innovation sense, but in the "there is just a feeling sense".

Is it Linear: Yes it is, the quests are generic but the npc dialog makes up for it. Believe me its almost on par with how good the dialog is in TSW. Yes its that good.

Who should avoid this game: Pvpers, mmo players who are not there for the rpg part. This is an mmoRPG, those who don't like Final Fantasy games. Those who don't like to or cannot read. Those with little patience who want to speed run through to endgame. If this is you stay out of this game.

Who should by this game: Roleplayers, Final Fantasy fans. Those longing for the days of Vanilla WoW. Those who actually like to read, and those who haven't liked the more recent FF games. If you are an old school FF fan from the SNES days then this is the game for you. Same goes for fans of FFVII and FFVIII. And I guess the fans of IX can come too (blech).

If you are a Roleplayer buy this game when it releases, no game offers the amount of rp friendly features this game Is going to have in the long run. The emote list pretty much smacks anything else out right now.

And yes you can sit in chairs.

Pretty much what you said, man, +1. It definitely has that "new home-ish" feeling to it that vanilla WoW did. I also like how Yoshi-P is listening carefully to the beta testers. Ever since he came aboard SE has, at very least, been on par with other AAA companies.

Isaiah 41:10
  • HotcellHotcell Member UncommonPosts: 279

This game is FAR better than the 1.0 crap I tried. I lasted a week before quitting and glad I quit that early.

However, as good as the game is right now, I don't feel FFXIV has anything unique to offer compared to other themepark, quest-hub games. WoW, TSW, Rift, etc are all extremely similar now. Other than the setting/lore/brand, there's nothing that makes me want to play FFXIV above other games.

I do want to say kudos to SE though for improving the game as much as it has. I'm not bashing the game by any means. I'm simply stating the fact that it's up there in terms of quality with other popular games, but indistinguishable from the rest of them.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    How does it compare to the wow vanilla questing experience. Would be well worth playing if levelling (I.e lore/deep quest lines) was as good.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Hotcell

However, as good as the game is right now, I don't feel FFXIV has anything unique to offer compared to other themepark, quest-hub games. WoW, TSW, Rift, etc are all extremely similar now. Other than the setting/lore/brand, there's nothing that makes me want to play FFXIV above other games.

I do think you are underestimating the power of the IP here.

I know it's not a selling point for all of us, especially those with no prior FF experience. However, for those that it is a selling point, it is a substantial one. This game does not go easy on the fan service. It is Final Fantasy through and through.

Sad as it is, I doubt that the folks at MMORPG.com will find the game any more enjoyable than *insert-recent-MMO-here* if only due to unfamiliarity with the IP. For a ton of people out there Final Fantasy MMO is, in itself, a must-play.

It really can't be stressed enough how much of a difference it makes in comparison to unknown IP's with less history and emotion behind them like Rift, TSW, TERA, GW2.

On the other hand people always overlook the fact ARR has a substantial edge in Asia as well as on the console market. Final Fantasy belongs on the consoles, and now another mainline title (XIV) arrives on the PS3. Japan is pretty much exclusive playground for Square-Enix. Both of these aspects should help ARR succeed where game like SW:TOR (a flop based on a great IP) didn't.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by sabotage23

I agree, this is a huge improvement over v1.0. Faster combat, quest helping arrows better looking graphics. able to run max settings @60fps at 1920x1080

I actually enjoyed loging on and questing and stuff! i dont want to play to much as i dont want to ruin my fun when it releases. I got a lvl 9 marauder

It still surprises me that MMOs put quest arrows in the game.....When games have that I have zero incentive to read the quests and often get bored very quickly due to a lack of challenge....I like a MMO that makes me think and work at least a little.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Hotcell

This game is FAR better than the 1.0 crap I tried. I lasted a week before quitting and glad I quit that early.

I do want to say kudos to SE though for improving the game as much as it has. I'm not bashing the game by any means. I'm simply stating the fact that it's up there in terms of quality with other popular games, but indistinguishable from the rest of them.

Just wait the best has yet to come. FF loves to ramp up the adventure, every 5 levels i got up in beta i kept telling myself "damn could this get any better?". Yes it did. 1.0 already had a solid amount of end game things to do so you can bet 2.0 will have have any more.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If I could direct your attention back to my original post I believe I mentioned that not everyone would love it.  Also in the part of my post you quoted I even said MANY of us not ALL of us. Clearly this is not you.  I hope you find what you're looking for.  Me I quite enjoyed it and I gave my OPINION on the matter.

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • IllunariIllunari Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Played p2 and p3 beta now. Loving the game. There are still things that need to be addressed like in any game in beta. I will say I have played allot of beta games and SE seems to be doing a very good job and fixing issues and listening to feedback with changes and such. Will be nice to get to play every aspect of the game in p4.  So far so good and I'll definitely pay to play this game