Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rift now pay to win

Comments

• freakprince1freakprince1 sucktownPosts: 5Member Common
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by freakprince1
    Originally posted by Aroukos

RIFT is one of the best mmo's in the market and still lets you play the full content for free. Both original and expansion.

enter as many dungeons/raids/bg's/events etc you want.

all races and classes.

full UI & options.

full use of LFD etc.

loot and wear every item in game.

obtain every mount in game.

full use of AH, banks, guild banks etc.

full access to chat channels.

full access to game forums.

make tickets and speak to GM's.

full use of live chat support.

etc etc etc

so don't you think whining about selling NORMAL dungeon quality items in cash shop, is a bit of OVER REACTING?

You dont get full access to Ah banks and guild banks you deluded sheepbrained fanboy u get many restrictions on those based on the loyalty u have and besides that the games has absolutely HORRIBLE community, has to be up there with LoL...u litelary dont see any serious guilds or parties even tho the servers are "full" and all you see on the chat windows are: "you mad bro?" "do u even lift fgt?" you have to be sick in the brain to spend time on a game with such idiotic community, even if its a quite decent product

Um they dropped the restrictions on this stuff a day or 2 ago............................. and he is a sheepbrained fanboy, when you have no clue about what you speak of?  Seriously?

And new servers are live also, to help with lag and server population as well.

What i said is based on personal experiance on the game so, yes i know what the fuck im talking about. Do you deny this game having horrible community that barely works as a whole? People are harrasing to the point of disgust newbies and its all flamewars on the chat, barely anyone on the lower levels doing rifts or dungeons or raids or pvp or any kind of events for that matter. Everyone is playin solo. Im sure if they keep this behavior the game will be empty soon enough.

I can see that. And your bad attitude, name calling and cursing, you must be part of the "good community"?

Get your facts straight, theres a difference between countering someones verbal attack like i did with you and someone constantly bashing random people for no reason

But I didn't verbally attack you, I spoke no ill words torward you. And the guy above you that you quoted made no ill comments directed at you. Yet you call him a sheepbrained fanboy and curse to both.  I think you do not know the difference. And so what if someone curses at you, that gives you the free reign to go at them back? That's what a good community is like today?

Its kind of hard to point fingers at others, when you are in fault of the exact same thing!

Your very first post here is a verbal assault on a member of this community, your second post is dropping the F bomb. And you are one to speak about bad community? Ive been a member of this community since 06 (new account due to losing information), and have yet to drop the language you have already. You are prime example of why I hate F2P games.

Verbal attack many times doesnt include direct insults, in your case you responded to my comment in a sarcasting way. I called him a sheep and a fanboy, i dont see how those are insults, if you think those are insults you know very little of the english language. Lastly, i dont not care to make a good impression on you folks or build a reputation for myself in any way or form. That is because i dont approve of the methods of this forum and of course, because i have very little value for your opinions and beliefs, and YOU sir are the reason i hate gamers in general

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Same old rhetoric. Every F2P game out there gets one of these P2W threads. Getting anything from a cash shop is apparently winning somehow. Its getting a bit old.
  • AroukosAroukos AthensPosts: 571Member

RIFT is one of the best mmo's in the market and still lets you play the full content for free. Both original and expansion.

enter as many dungeons/raids/bg's/events etc you want.

all races and classes.

full UI & options.

full use of LFD etc.

loot and wear every item in game.

obtain every mount in game.

full use of AH, banks, guild banks etc.

full access to chat channels.

full access to game forums.

make tickets and speak to GM's.

full use of live chat support.

etc etc etc

so don't you think whining about selling NORMAL dungeon quality items in cash shop, is a bit of OVER REACTING?

You dont get full access to Ah banks and guild banks you deluded sheepbrained fanboy u get many restrictions on those based on the loyalty u have and besides that the games has absolutely HORRIBLE community, has to be up there with LoL...u litelary dont see any serious guilds or parties even tho the servers are "full" and all you see on the chat windows are: "you mad bro?" "do u even lift fgt?" you have to be sick in the brain to spend time on a game with such idiotic community, even if its a quite decent product

Um they dropped the restrictions on this stuff a day or 2 ago............................. and he is a sheepbrained fanboy, when you have no clue about what you speak of?  Seriously?

And new servers are live also, to help with lag and server population as well.

What i said is based on personal experiance on the game so, yes i know what the fuck im talking about. Do you deny this game having horrible community that barely works as a whole? People are harrasing to the point of disgust newbies and its all flamewars on the chat, barely anyone on the lower levels doing rifts or dungeons or raids or pvp or any kind of events for that matter. Everyone is playin solo. Im sure if they keep this behavior the game will be empty soon enough.

I can see that. And your bad attitude, name calling and cursing, you must be part of the "good community"?

Get your facts straight, theres a difference between countering someones verbal attack like i did with you and someone constantly bashing random people for no reason

But I didn't verbally attack you, I spoke no ill words torward you. And the guy above you that you quoted made no ill comments directed at you. Yet you call him a sheepbrained fanboy and curse to both.  I think you do not know the difference. And so what if someone curses at you, that gives you the free reign to go at them back? That's what a good community is like today?

Its kind of hard to point fingers at others, when you are in fault of the exact same thing!

Your very first post here is a verbal assault on a member of this community, your second post is dropping the F bomb. And you are one to speak about bad community? Ive been a member of this community since 06 (new account due to losing information), and have yet to drop the language you have already. You are prime example of why I hate F2P games.

Verbal attack many times doesnt include direct insults, in your case you responded to my comment in a sarcasting way. I called him a sheep and a fanboy, i dont see how those are insults, if you think those are insults you know very little of the english language. Lastly, i dont not care to make a good impression on you folks or build a reputation for myself in any way or form. That is because i dont approve of the methods of this forum and of course, because i have very little value for your opinions and beliefs, and YOU sir are the reason i hate gamers in general

man tbh, i dont care much either for rift or any other game. i play to have fun most of all. my priority are my kids. but you, i guess you must go to be checked by some expert. free friendly advice :)

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Chicago, ILPosts: 423Member
    I'm playing the game right now and I have yet to see any indication that I will need to fork over money to see everything the game has to offer, even the time scale involved between pay and no pay is minor and of no concern. Just another thread bashing a game for no other reason besides someone thinks they need to get a thought out. 
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    I'm playing the game right now and I have yet to see any indication that I will need to fork over money to see everything the game has to offer, even the time scale involved between pay and no pay is minor and of no concern. Just another thread bashing a game for no other reason besides someone thinks they need to get a thought out. 

very true

• enik3enik3 Austin, TXPosts: 37Member
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I wish there was a way to identify players who buy their gear so I can point at them and laugh at them.

"Hey Bob, I see you paid for your gear. Way to go man. You're pretty pro."

Right, because having an undemanding job, no social life and lots of free time makes you "pro".

Originally posted by enik3

I wish there was a way to identify players who buy their gear so I can point at them and laugh at them.

Right, because having an undemanding job, no social life and lots of free time makes you "pro".

i guess mmo community are full of them anymore

• xpowderxxpowderx Radcliff, KYPosts: 2,131Member Uncommon
    I am glad I play Rift only for the PVP FUN!~! Outside of that. Use my 60 to farm plat for my many alts! As to raiding. I will stick to EQ! Big waste of time to set up a raid then execute it. With my limited time would rather PVP Rift. Then raid EQ.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Posts: 1,005Member Uncommon

I dunno why my thread was locked about the game being pay 2 enjoy, but they have two different meanings.

1. Pay 2 Win is basically any game that if you spend money on you get such an unfair advantage that you can level up massively ahead of everyone else, or win the game in PVE & PVP that no one else can at all.

Based on what I have seen Rift allows players to buy armor and weapons, although from what I know you can obtain the weapons from dungeon runs and such yes it takes time but you have the same advantage  you can either spend money or run dungeons and obtain gear through in game.

I really don't mind if there are cash shop items sold that benefit PVE such as potions or subscription options that increase damage in PVE as long as it doesn't effect PVP and so on then I wouldn't care or consider that Pay 2 Win unless it was like one hit every high level monster no one else can at any level and such.

2. Pay 2 Enjoy, is basically a game where you have to spend extra money on cosmetic items if you enjoy the game like this for example Aion you have to constantly pay for  plastic surgery tickets just to change a hair color, and in rift you have to constantly pay 180 Green Gems, or Rift points every time you want to change a weapon skin, this is Pay 2 Enjoy they are two complete different meanings.

Anyways I will say it here though, while everyone has their own opinion about what is Pay 2 Win, and Pay 2 Enjoy I have quit rift at level 6, Yes I was a Beta player in Rift, yes I played Trial on release I was like this game is shitty, lack of customization armors look like crap bought the game for $5 on steam and just return when it went F2P. 

What happened is I spent $20 on Rift and lost my money pretty much because I purchased an armor cosmetic set, and a weapon skin then find out that I had to buy these  transmute stones to apply the skin to my weapon every time I want to change it the Tool-TIP descriptions were not in rift at the time, and so I complained on the forums a lot they added them but as a result I quit the game until they give me the function free.

The developer said to contact customer service for a refund, I put in a ticket about it still have got no response.

I don't want to play rift unless all key aspects and cosmetics are FREE and part of the game I will pay them for armor, and cosmetic unlocks but want to be able to freely customize and switch between them any time I please.

As far as I am concerned Trion/Rift can either do the following.

1. They can give me what I believed I was paying for.

2. They can remove the items on my account, and give me my money back I know $20 isn't a lot of money but I am going to make a big deal out of it simply because what they did was wrong, and I do not believe having to constantly pay money is right after being mislead by their cash shop things that should have been fixed with proper descriptions before going live but it was their mistake and until I get the money back I had to pay for it and now I can't even enjoy the game at all.

3. For those saying I didn't buy the game, I played Rift since BETA, I hated Rift on release I played Trial, Rift armor looks like crap for that type of game they needed better graphics design artists for the most part my opinion of course so I bought the game for $5 on steam didn't activate it until a week before it went F2P.

People on the forums and here keep talking about developers need to make money to create and keep the game up its true, but if you are paying more than $20 a month in a F2P MMO and have to spend more than $20 every month to enjoy it then there is something absolutely wrong here, in other words the game company in my opinion is telling you to pay for all the leechers and free players who don't spend a dime and not giving you your money worth either.

Because of the Pay 2 Enjoy aspect I have given RIFT a thumbs down, its not worth playing in my opinion, meanwhile I have recently just played BETA of Final Fantasy XIV, and the game has improved a lot to be like Final Fantasy XI But better so I give that game a thumbs up.

Originally posted by Renoaku

I dunno why my thread was locked about the game being pay 2 enjoy, but they have two different meanings.

1. Pay 2 Win is basically any game that if you spend money on you get such an unfair advantage that you can level up massively ahead of everyone else, or win the game in PVE & PVP that no one else can at all.

Based on what I have seen Rift allows players to buy armor and weapons, although from what I know you can obtain the weapons from dungeon runs and such yes it takes time but you have the same advantage  you can either spend money or run dungeons and obtain gear through in game.

I really don't mind if there are cash shop items sold that benefit PVE such as potions or subscription options that increase damage in PVE as long as it doesn't effect PVP and so on then I wouldn't care or consider that Pay 2 Win unless it was like one hit every high level monster no one else can at any level and such.

2. Pay 2 Enjoy, is basically a game where you have to spend extra money on cosmetic items if you enjoy the game like this for example Aion you have to constantly pay for  plastic surgery tickets just to change a hair color, and in rift you have to constantly pay 180 Green Gems, or Rift points every time you want to change a weapon skin, this is Pay 2 Enjoy they are two complete different meanings.

Anyways I will say it here though, while everyone has their own opinion about what is Pay 2 Win, and Pay 2 Enjoy I have quit rift at level 6, Yes I was a Beta player in Rift, yes I played Trial on release I was like this game is shitty, lack of customization armors look like crap bought the game for $5 on steam and just return when it went F2P. 

What happened is I spent $20 on Rift and lost my money pretty much because I purchased an armor cosmetic set, and a weapon skin then find out that I had to buy these  transmute stones to apply the skin to my weapon every time I want to change it the Tool-TIP descriptions were not in rift at the time, and so I complained on the forums a lot they added them but as a result I quit the game until they give me the function free.

The developer said to contact customer service for a refund, I put in a ticket about it still have got no response.

I don't want to play rift unless all key aspects and cosmetics are FREE and part of the game I will pay them for armor, and cosmetic unlocks but want to be able to freely customize and switch between them any time I please.

As far as I am concerned Trion/Rift can either do the following.

1. They can give me what I believed I was paying for.

2. They can remove the items on my account, and give me my money back I know $20 isn't a lot of money but I am going to make a big deal out of it simply because what they did was wrong, and I do not believe having to constantly pay money is right after being mislead by their cash shop things that should have been fixed with proper descriptions before going live but it was their mistake and until I get the money back I had to pay for it and now I can't even enjoy the game at all.

3. For those saying I didn't buy the game, I played Rift since BETA, I hated Rift on release I played Trial, Rift armor looks like crap for that type of game they needed better graphics design artists for the most part my opinion of course so I bought the game for $5 on steam didn't activate it until a week before it went F2P.

People on the forums and here keep talking about developers need to make money to create and keep the game up its true, but if you are paying more than $20 a month in a F2P MMO and have to spend more than $20 every month to enjoy it then there is something absolutely wrong here, in other words the game company in my opinion is telling you to pay for all the leechers and free players who don't spend a dime and not giving you your money worth either.

Because of the Pay 2 Enjoy aspect I have given RIFT a thumbs down, its not worth playing in my opinion, meanwhile I have recently just played BETA of Final Fantasy XIV, and the game has improved a lot to be like Final Fantasy XI But better so I give that game a thumbs up.

Let it all out Bro!!!

I am sure your opinion is going to sway a few teenagers here and there. Sounds like you found a new home with a different game. I personally am a strong believer in trashing my previous game so it makes a new one look good!

Its all good though! With your vast amount of experience with Rift you surely are entitled to the smackdown of the game you do not like. Kinda reminds me of my complaints of that HOT ex-girlfriend I dated a few times. This emotional opinion stuff about a game just makes me want to cry!!!!!

• cylon8cylon8 lodi, NJPosts: 334Member Uncommon
    i'm gonna say this brilliant timing by trion...it's a cash infusion to help finish localization on archeage........however does anyone else get the sense that trion  won't be making their own games soon and will simply shift gears into a publisher?

so say we all

Originally posted by cylon8
    i'm gonna say this brilliant timing by trion...it's a cash infusion to help finish localization on archeage........however does anyone else get the sense that trion  won't be making their own games soon and will simply shift gears into a publisher?

Here is something to think about. At E3, Trion Execs, Blizz Execs and Sony Execs all went to dinner together. Just saying!

Originally posted by xpowderx

Here is something to think about. At E3, Trion Execs, Blizz Execs and Sony Execs all went to dinner together. Just saying!

Do you think also, this has to do something with TITAN reset too? Just saying :)

Originally posted by xpowderx

Do you think also, this has to do something with TITAN reset too? Just saying :)

Have not a clue why they went together. But I know Defiance has done Sony good. And Blizzard and Sony have some kind of partnership/relationship for titles to be released on the PS4. But as I said, no clue!! Nothing to see here!! ;-)

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly genevaPosts: 734Member

OP, thanks for driving my attention to this CS matter.

I liked Rift at beta, but after it looked to me like if it lost something.

now as you can buy even armor and weapon from CS, this game is not even worth to play. =XD
    sure my opinion only, but still.

thanks again, I keep moving, no Rift for me.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• GolelornGolelorn Hiding From Social Media Peeping Toms, ALPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    This is not pay to win. While I disagree with Trion's actions, at least, they are not selling the top end gear. Or worse, like Neverwinter has done, some gear is only attainable through the cash shop(epic enchantments).
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by nickster29

Just went through the cash shop myself, and I laughed at the gear offerings.  It is all normal dungeon gear, not even the Expert mode gear.

If people wanna toss their cash at gear they could easily have just spent a few hours getting, let em.  It supports Trion and keeps the game running, and the free players doing what they do best.... not spending a single cent.

Only things I saw that I want from the cash shop would be the extra bag slots and extra tradeskill slots.  I will just wait to buy them using in game currency to purchase REX from other players though, no need to spend money on stuff I can just earn in game.

Wrong.  You can buy expert dungeon gear and the stones to upgrade said gear all in the cash shop.  I know this because I actually play the game and my wife, who also plays the game, JUST did this for her alt.  She is raid ready right now, and all because she had the cash to afford it.  

We also had a guild member, who did the same thing, he had been lvl 60 for less than a day when he did.  He still has no idea how to play his toon, other than for leveling, but hey he is off to raiding.   Not with our guild, he was removed for different reasons, but still he/she is out there, waiting to screw up your raid.   

So I guess I must say, not only is it pay2win, it's pay to wipe raids as well.  which I guess would be considered paytofail, so we come full circle paytowin.

You act like any raid is all that hard to learn. Most of them are easy enough I could do it face rolling the whole time. If people can get to max level and not have to grind the best gear then I say GO FOR IT! Grinding raids for gear is NOT my idea of a good end game anyways. NOR is it fun ti play catch up in pvp gearing as you get owned every match until u get better gear.

• SkuzSkuz WorcesterPosts: 1,034Member Uncommon

If you take the OP views at face value without doing any fact-checking for yourself then you don't really qualify as an informed & intelligent player.

This seems to be a troll-thread mixed in with a lot of misinformation & faux indignation aimed at steering players away from a quality game for purely selfish & malicious reasons, don't swallow other people's bull, go check it out for yourself, it's free to do just that after all.

• AadienAadien Roseville, CAPosts: 223Member
    Originally posted by Skuz

If you take the OP views at face value without doing any fact-checking for yourself then you don't really qualify as an informed & intelligent player.

This seems to be a troll-thread mixed in with a lot of misinformation & faux indignation aimed at steering players away from a quality game for purely selfish & malicious reasons, don't swallow other people's bull, go check it out for yourself, it's free to do just that after all.

^ Fully agree

• RavensworthRavensworth Elkton, VAPosts: 40Member Uncommon

He will probably point his finger back at you and say.

"Yes I am a pro at my JOB and FAMILY. Maybe not the game but I wanted to be able to play with some friends who have more time to devote to the game than I can. My Family and Paying the bills are far more important.

• kyssarikyssari Tipton, IAPosts: 142Member

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days. Sure theres gear sold for cash in the store but have you even taken the time to compare it to gear you can craft or do dungeons for / get from rep vendors / pvp / etc? Cash shop gear isnt that great and plenty of people will not only do fine but better without it.

Rift gear in the cash store is basically this: I can take 5 seconds to spend $10 on a $5 piece of scrap or I can take 20min and spend nothing but time on a $20 gem that will actually be useful for awhile. No matter what route you take the gem is better than the scrap so the cash isn't really buying you power...

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member
    Originally posted by kyssari

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days.

They really don't..

When you don't limit it to boosts or cosmetic stuff and start doing stuff like equipment restrictions, or the far worse actual equipment, you crossed the line that invalidates the "We're not pay to win!!" argument..

Really don't see where all thse pay2win arguments are even coming from, Rift has a far better business model than the majority of f2p games out there these days. Sure theres gear sold for cash in the store but have you even taken the time to compare it to gear you can craft or do dungeons for / get from rep vendors / pvp / etc? Cash shop gear isnt that great and plenty of people will not only do fine but better without it.

Rift gear in the cash store is basically this: I can take 5 seconds to spend $10 on a $5 piece of scrap or I can take 20min and spend nothing but time on a $20 gem that will actually be useful for awhile. No matter what route you take the gem is better than the scrap so the cash isn't really buying you power...

agree 100% with f2p model.

as it concerns gear sold in cash shop, is NORMAL mode's dungeon gear.  you cant enter raids unless you acquire reputation / vendor / expert dungeon gear, which is only obtainable through game.

• korent1991korent1991 CakovecPosts: 1,390Member

as it concerns gear sold in cash shop, is NORMAL mode's dungeon gear.  you cant enter raids unless you acquire reputation / vendor / expert dungeon gear, which is only obtainable through game.

my philosophy is... if they're selling gear directly it's pay 2 win... unless they'd have the option to buy cash shop currency with in game currency - than that'd be fine, but it also wouldn't make a lot of sence I guess

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Originally posted by korent1991

my philosophy is... if they're selling gear directly it's pay 2 win... unless they'd have the option to buy cash shop currency with in game currency - than that'd be fine, but it also wouldn't make a lot of sence I guess

buying REX with gold and then make it credits (1250 credits) to buy from cash shop. thats how you buy from cash shop with ingame currency. is that ok now?