Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the new Scrolls game P2W?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Anyone bought the new Scrolls game from Mojang yet (the Minecraft guys)?   I'm not talking about The Elder Scrolls btw, its just Scrolls, the multiplayer (I guess its as much an MMO has half the games on this site) trading card game.

It looks interesting and I'd like to give it a try but there's no demo and I'm worried that, like basically every other CTCG its going to be pay2win.  On the upside I see that  you can earn in-game currency to purchase new random cards, but how viable is that for making a good "deck" VS plopping down $500 cash instead? 

My concern is that its going to be another one of those games where you can "technically" get everything just by playing, but it would take like 1000 hours of playtime VS just paying $100.  

Anyone (who has ACTUALLY played the game please) have some thoughts on this, or can provide info/clarification?  Thanks!

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Check out Total Biscuit's video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOXyzLBvdU

He goes over the possible P2W aspects (actually it looks like this one won't be P2W at all which is strange for a TCG). You can get a close look at how their store works at least up till this point.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

thanks colddog, going to check out the video now.

one other question: anyone who has purchased the game know if the original purchase price gets you any of the in-game premium credit?

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I am holding out for Blizzards hearth stone to get into Electronic CCG's
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No its not p2w.

When you start you pick one of 3 decks, energy, growth or order (there's a 4th deck, decay, but its temporarily disabled)

These starter decks give you a full set of 50 cards.

Then you get playing games. If you have a 50/50 win loss ratio you typically earn about 225 gold per game.

With gold you can buy.

A random scroll for 100
    A scroll from a specific set e.g. growth for 175
    A pack of ten random scrolls with a guaranteed rare card in it for 1000

One of the other starter decks for 5000 (i think)

One of 6 cards of the week, at varying prices, typically around 200 which you can only buy once.
    Also can but cosmetic avatars for 10,000

With the cash shop you can buy
    One of the 6 cards of the week
    One of the starter decks
    One of the avatars
    You can't buy the 10 scroll pack, or the unlimited single cards with the cash shop.

So really don't see point of cash shop, you might use it so you can field 2 separate deck types or for the avatars, but that's it really, the cards of the week are so cheap, you can typically buy the ones you want after a few games anyway.

Anyway check it out its a fun game. I also think it will be cheaper to play than blizzard offering. What's the money on hearth stone having a rmah with commission for trading cards.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I don't like the hand drawn look to the graphics in scrolls all looks a little inconsistent like they plundered  istockphoto for royalty free images from different artists. 

As to the P2W it's not - no amount of money will make you a good player, as with Hearthstone you can buy cards to fill up your desk ASAP or just play the game and get cards as you go for free.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can't buy cards to fill up ASAP though.

You get 50 cards of one deck for free.

You can buy the other 2 starter decks. Now this would let you run a basic dual resource deck, but they're no better it worse than single resource decks. No one runs a triple resource deck.

Then you can buy 6 named cards per week.

You can't buy your way to an ideal deck.
    At most the cash shop let's you get started with a dual resource deck faster, but that's a 1 off purchase.
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

It definitely seems like Scrolls has so far avoided the temptation of being p2w, and I'm happy about that.  I'm not a huge fan of the hex board (prefer traditional CCG style I guess) but that's purely preference, there's nothing wrong with their approach.  Also seems like there aren't many cards atm, I believe 45 different per group so 135 cards total in the game (someone correct me if I'm wrong there).   So not a big selection but the game is just starting out and Mojang is really fantastic about updates at least for Minecraft so the game could really expand.

As for Hearthstone (and also the upcoming Hex) I have a feeling that will be p2w, or rather a situation where you could *technically* get everything just by playing but realistically it isn't possible for anyone who can't play for hundreds of hours a  month.  I very much hope I'm wrong there though.   We can only wait and see.

• AbsolemAbsolem Member Posts: 19
    Hey Rollie, gonna check your PMs yet?
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Is the new Scrolls game P2W?

Sure....since any MMO or MMORPG can be play to win as soon you see goldscammers in the game. It doesn't matter if it's a sub game, hybrid or F2P. You never know if the person in front of you is a legit gamer or someone who bought his way up either legal or illegal