Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why skill choices are making me dont want to play the game.

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I finally purchased this great game. Started playing ( i played bit in open beta , mind you ). Got my guy to starter build of blade/claws , which is guaranteed to let you be able to play comfortably ...

And than I hit the brick wall ...

I am earning points, and simply am to afraid to put them anywhere.

Should i unlock the outer wheel ? And if yes , which part ? Should i unlock other weapon ? What about synergies ? Etc ...

Read about each skill , think about how they interact , plan ahead - since you can not UNSPEND the points.

I mean i love the complexity , but i hate to make wrong choice.

So I hesitate with buying skills -

and It makes me not want to play the game at all.

Comments

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Well quite abit of the TSw experience is, for me, to plan ahead, and see what build you wanna aim for, especially now that you have sorted a starter deck.

Maybe try going to the newcomers section on the official forums and look for guides/specs advice on which abilities to look at, given your preffered play style. 

Remember that you can unlock ALL the abilities over time, so "mistakes" are only in the short term. 

Overall I would say do not be too afraid to branch into the outer wheels, but do try and get a feeling for the different trees, what they offer/focus on and then make decisions.

But again, there are many people who are willing to help with quite in depth advice and suggestions if you go to the official forum or join a helpfull cabal :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    So you are saying to spend points in inner tree , to try other weapons ?

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Well you say you have a build around blade/claw, with full inner wheel, so what im saying is that you can start to look at the outer wheels for this combination, perhaps even find an advanced (non beginner) deck which utilizes these two weapons

Overall inner wheels are quite cheapo, points wise, so if you wanna try different weapons you should get some of the inner wheel abilities.

But, be aware, especially in the start of game, of not branching out too much, lose focus and spread yourself too thin. the later content will need you to have an adequate level in some weapons and talismans, so I would recommend you stick to 2 or 3 weapons and try and get these levelled up, and find a build to work towards, which takes advantage of outer wheel abilities. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

As the others already said, do not affraid and spend those points, that's what they are for :)

You can't "break" your character, the worst thing that can happen, if you put the points random everywhere for example, that you need to go back to a previous area for a few hours and get some more points to "smooth" the bumps with them in your decks.

A pretty big chunk of the game is exactly that you experimenting with the abilities and making various decks. (but ofc you always can get one from the forums and assembling that)

Blade+fist is a very efficient combo, you can solo with it nicely if you want to, and later it's easy to branch off into other directions and roles (like blade+blood, and then upgrade those two into a blood+fist healing deck, etc.)

The bottom line I guess is that you can't really make wrong choices (which you hate), but if you feel a bit lost in the beginning you can always follow the starter decks, they're decent - and giving outfits as a bonus :)

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Part of the challenge (and fun) of TSW is figuring a build that works.  You might even find a build that works for one area, but not another (hint: Vampires don't like to bleed, but most of the rest of the mobs are fine to bleed).

Spend your points.  Figure out what works well.  If you can't advance, you can repeat almost every quest in the game to gain more points until you can advance.  If you get frustrated with trying to make your own build, look on the official forums or other web pages for builds that people say work well.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

This thread may be of some help to you:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64032

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

They now have low level and higher level decks people can follow to play the game so they can learn how things work with a guided experience, if needed.  I mean, I know many of you are completely used to having your little hands held throughout whatever class you decide to play, but you pretty much have that in this game now too, if you choose to use it.  Not sure what else they can do.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

First, don't worry too much about the fact that you can't get your points back because eventually you will have everything. So at worst you just get more points and put them where you need them.

Second, like most everyone has said, experiment a bit and go with what feels comfortable. Leaf through the decks.

Lastly... if you are still unsure and feel you don't have a direction and know why you should go this way or that, follow this: http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-survival-soloing-with-bladefist/ and follow it up with http://wordpress.tswguides.com/everything-must-die-blade-claw-survival/

It is a good solid build and helps you figure where to put those points. Once you do you should be comfortable enough to feel it safe to branch out from there.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

They now have low level and higher level decks people can follow to play the game so they can learn how things work with a guided experience, if needed.  I mean, I know many of you are completely used to having your little hands held throughout whatever class you decide to play, but you pretty much have that in this game now too, if you choose to use it.  Not sure what else they can do.

I know its bit pathetic. But I want to focus more on content and less on min/maxing theory crafting.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I finally purchased this great game. Started playing ( i played bit in open beta , mind you ). Got my guy to starter build of blade/claws , which is guaranteed to let you be able to play comfortably ...

Should i unlock the outer wheel ? And if yes , which part ? Should i unlock other weapon ? What about synergies ? Etc ...

Read about each skill , think about how they interact , plan ahead - since you can not UNSPEND the points.

you didnt get the idea of the game.

if you are scared to spend some points, youshould get rid of that "classic" wow attitude of yours.

there is nothing to lose, you want new points? get em.

you can redo basically everything, you will NEVER have to be afraid you cannot advance anymore.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I know its bit pathetic. But I want to focus more on content and less on min/maxing theory crafting.

If you look at some of those more advanced decks, you'll probably find one that's using the same weapons you are using now, or something close.  You can just keep building on your starter deck and branch out into some of those outer wheel abilities.  The other option is to just do a bit of searching on conditions you are already triggering with your current deck (handy-dandy search panel to the right of the wheel).  Just look for conditions your passives can exploit and remember passives can be from any weapon, not just your equipped.  It's not really min-maxing, just finding abilities that work well together.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Yep. it's a wrong mindset.

There are no dimishing returns on the XP you gain. At later zones, you'll be getting a lot more experience than you do at the beginning areas. It is not advised to spend too many points on outer wheel before you reach Egypt or Transylvania. During first areas, you probably should just experiment with different inner wheels, choose 2 active weapons and then supplement them with passives from other weapons-trees. 

Keep in mind, passives are a lot more important than actives. 

I would not however recommend blade+fist as a good starting combination. Similarly hammers aren't the best to start with, nor are shotguns.

Assault Rifle, chaos or blood offer a lot more usefull combinations at early levels. 

REALITY CHECK

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I personally play as Chaos/Fists mDps i find that a lot of fun but i have heard of people using blades/fists and they do alright.

Here are the wisest words you ever gona hear..

Max out passive abilities that synergize PEN and HIT, and do the same with your gear for dps.

Abilities scale with your gear, So inner abilities have the same dmg potential as your outer ones, They are just 'different' in execution.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Thillian

Assault Rifle, chaos or blood offer a lot more usefull combinations at early levels. 

Blood Charm is pretty much the worst choice possible for Kingsmouth. I know this cause it's what I did during the beta back then. Single target DoTs on hoards of zombies just doesn't do it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by TacBoy

Lastly... if you are still unsure and feel you don't have a direction and know why you should go this way or that, follow this: http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first-60-inner-wheel-survival-soloing-with-bladefist/ and follow it up with http://wordpress.tswguides.com/everything-must-die-blade-claw-survival/

+1 very much, if you need some guidance until you feel much more confident with the wheel, follow that. The good ol' "everything must die" deck from Ryahl :)

I used a similar blade+fist deck for a long time (actually until FC nerfed Clearing the Path...). You won't have any problems soloing well beyond the Blue Monutains using that setup, and it's decent in the first few dungeons as well. If you stack on Pen, it still dishing out great damage post nerf.

Also those are pretty well written, you can learn a lot about how to build a deck around an idea, etc.

I have to admit in FC's defense, that 100% guaranteed AoE Pen was indeed too overpowered :)

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Thillian

Blood Charm is pretty much the worst choice possible for Kingsmouth. I know this cause it's what I did during the beta back then. Single target DoTs on hoards of zombies just doesn't do it.

You did that during beta.

I've spent 1500 hours in game since Beta, last time I went through starting areas about 2 weeks when I rolled my third char.

Blood DPS isnt about DoTs at all.

Blood is about Bloodline + Bloodshot combination (With Finish the Movement) passive.

For starting areas, blood is usually used only as secondary to AR,or chaos = which has the best starting resource builders combined with Blood finisher Bloodshot (which is one of the best starting finishers) plus supportive healing if needed.

REALITY CHECK

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I don't know... i find that one of TSW's true great strengths... not at all a weakness.