Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge's creative freedom

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    This game is more like second life than a fantasy/steampunk game. I love steampunk, but from what I've seen it nothing like it. They should of given up on the idea of a fantasy game and made a modern or futuristic themed MMO rather than the eclectic mess that it is. The game seems to have an identity crises the way it shift from medieval fantasy to modern.
  • superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by superguitardude

Well, in those screenshots it's called "Starbox" not "Starbucks". If you look closely, even the emblem is different. Starbucks can't really pull any lawsuits because no law has been broken.

Actually, they can. 

*Challenge Accepted* They could try. :3

They should just rate the game M or PEGI 18 and be done with it. That way people could have the option of adding some titillation to the atmosphere.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by superguitardude

Well, in those screenshots it's called "Starbox" not "Starbucks". If you look closely, even the emblem is different. Starbucks can't really pull any lawsuits because no law has been broken.

Actually, they can. 

They would be stupid to do so, it's free advertising that no one else is making a profit from. 

As for my opinion of this, I think this is an extremely great idea that adds so much sand to a sandbox it's almost unbelievable, I've been wanting this in an MMO ever since playing APB:reloaded. I hope gets put into the NA version. With that said, I also feel that some "RPG" screening should happen. I don't personally like the idea of someone making vending machines unless the storyline calls for that sort of thing. As for making a starbocks? That seems fine, after all, he is actually selling coffee.

So basically, I really and truly hope this goes into the NA version, I just hope there is some form of moderation to keep the mods within the storyline.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Is it perfect? No. Could I do without the modern pop culture logos mixing in my fantasy game? Yeah.
    Is it even a full sandbox? No.
    But it is a virtual world that players can impact, for good or bad.
    I'll take it.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

lol nice:) hope tis wont be another asian game where females looks like sluts and run half naked.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Everyone has been crying for a virtual world to live in. This seems to provide the tools.  You can't control what everyone in the world likes..
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I picture gold sellers *literally* setting up shop in game... the banners everywhere...

LOL, and this game is supposed to be sub-based... you get to pay to see all this.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

lol nice:) hope tis wont be another asian game where females looks like sluts and run half naked.

Are you gay? lol

j/k but really, are you?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by pmiles

I picture gold sellers *literally* setting up shop in game... the banners everywhere...

LOL, and this game is supposed to be sub-based... you get to pay to see all this.

OMG i didnt even think about gold sellers!

Originally posted by Arskaaa

I hope that they leave it as is. To be fair, they should also let guys dress provocatively to calm the nerd raging feminists. I mean come on, you can't tell me that this isn't sexy:

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Is it perfect? No. Could I do without the modern pop culture logos mixing in my fantasy game? Yeah.
    I'll take it.

You can have a virtual world like this please take it. I find it very offensive. It is not a fantasy any more.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by drakaena
    I'll take it.

You can have a virtual world like this please take it. I find it very offensive. It is not a fantasy any more.

It's not high fantasy. It's a matter of expectations.... for example Firefly's universe mixed cowboys and space operas and no one was moaning about it being offensive, crappy in some people's mind yes but... you're basically telling the devs that their universe isn't "right" when A) it's a blood fictional universe where there are physics defying things and B) it isn't part of an established universe and I will state I am interested to see where this game goes but even if I wasn't I would still tell you the following: Your opinion is just an opinion, it is not a truth and it will never be one, kindly do not tell people what to do with works of fiction you find offensive because that smacks of quite a few bad things none of which I think you truly mean to exhibit.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Someone's hilarious player house

http://youtu.be/ly65sdnD0VU

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

My view,

"MMO Community": We're sick of themeparks and want a AAA sandbox with more freedom and the ability to impact the world. TAKE US OFF THE RAILS!

AA is created giving these tools to the player and they use these tools creatively.

"MMO Community": Take it back! Give us our rails back! Devs define our world for us!

This is what comes with a Sandbox. Not everything that players do to the world will appeal to everyone but at the same time taking these tools away will also take sandbox elements away as well. So either accept that not everything will fit into your pre-conceived impressions of a game when it is indeed a sandbox. If you cannot accept this type of freedom and refuse to play a game based on how others are being creative within it, you have no business wanting to play a sandbox game to begin with and are better off sticking to your safe, predictable themepark titles.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by steelwind

My view,

"MMO Community": We're sick of themeparks and want a AAA sandbox with more freedom and the ability to impact the world. TAKE US OFF THE RAILS!

AA is created giving these tools to the player and they use these tools creatively.

"MMO Community": Take it back! Give us our rails back! Devs define our world for us!

This is what comes with a Sandbox. Not everything that players do to the world will appeal to everyone but at the same time taking these tools away will also take sandbox elements away as well. So either accept that not everything will fit into your pre-conceived impressions of a game when it is indeed a sandbox. If you cannot accept this type of freedom and refuse to play a game based on how others are being creative within it, you have no business wanting to play a sandbox game to begin with and are better off sticking to your safe, predictable themepark titles.

Let me first start by stating I dont have a problem with this feature in AA and I actually want to see it in game.

But there is a fallacy in your argument, it is not as black and white as you make it out to be, sure people want sandbox tools to create their own content, but they want that content to be within the theme of the game, if the game is medieval fantasy then if there is for example a "Create your own spell system" you dont want someone to create a spell that summons a lamborghini gallardo they can drive around.

Mind you there is nothing wrong with having a game that does this, and this fits very well into the mechanics of sandbox games like Minecraft where you have someone building a deathstar next to someone making a lord of the rings inspired city. But in a world where you are expected to be an adventurer in a medieval fantasy setting it does break the immersion if there is all of a sudden a star wars themed city with futuristic textures and coca cola dispensers everywhere.

I dont think anyone would say that the P&P Dungeons and Dragons is not a "sandbox" experience, however there are rules, the game master wont let you summon a lamborghini if you are in trouble in a fight unless the game is built specifically with that rule.

So in conclusion, XLGames is expected to be the "game master" in ArcheAge and are expected to curate the experience and allow people freedom within the universe they have created, so I can understand some people frustration at the fact that you can add things that dont belong in that universe into the game ruining the immersion a little bit.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

If this gets in the NA version, I fully expect to see a huge wall "decorated" by an old man's fat ass near a major city. Or worse.

It would be a nice feature if we could somehow get rid of all the idiots playing the game, but as it is, I'd rather not have it. At the very least they should make an on/off switch for it.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

As cool as this is and as entertaining it would be to see these types things it wuld need to be regulated out the ass by Trion. There'd would have to be their own system to make sure nothing too filhy or distateful makes it through.

They then could maybe submit some options up for player voting. Another way to make sure things don't get to ridiculous out in the world.

How are these mods handled as far as how long they are left in game. This something that has to be renwed every few months or is it a one time shot it's in game for good type of thing?

This could be really ineteresting to play with for the more creative types, but man abuse is abuse and the system will be abused. Developers should just assume they can't trust us gamers and regulate enough to make sure it doesn't have too many issues.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by tkreep

does that mean i can run around looking like batman, thats awsome!

who wants to make a guild called Justice League

Sure! But I get to be batman ;)   You can be my odd little sidekick.

Edit:  And on a serious note.  There is no way this feature will be in the NA version of this game.  Us Americans are offended by everything and Trion can't check every pic before it's put in game by a player.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

Lovely.

Too bad the tools will probably be restricted. America mainstream can't handle original games, and someone somewhere out there will be offended at a drunken barney picture or red district and whine the feature out the game. More rules and less fun, America is still in diapers when it comes to fun and play.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

uhm get mature folks..this reminds of people looking at others on the street and then:

"Look , look"

"these one here has no taste on apeal, lets call the police and show him"

"police police where is the police ? this man here has no real taste", "we supposed to live in conformistic way", "dont allow that freak to ruin the taste of majority"

i am at least happy on a MMORPG that gives freedom and choices ...and i will certainly sure LMAO at many "creative" things brought us by some freaks ..but i am not want to not allow it..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Weird, I didn't know about any of this.  It's a lot like Second Life with those tools available.  Second Life isn't a game though, it's much more like a 3D WWW or "America Online" type thing.

It can be interesting, but I'm not sure Western gamers want this stuff in their games.  This also explains the cars everyone was talking about a few weeks ago.  The Asian version seems very "anything goes".

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Well, I expected this to happen way back when I read that you could import any picture on a tabard and ship's sail...

I like to have a laugh as anyone, but we will see obscenities and whatnot at every corner if this tool get OKayed in western version.

Some people will enjoy this freedom but ArcheAge will be ridiculed by most, imho.

These shenanigans may attract people from the infamous GOON Squad, though, and when you add the world PvP (ganking), they may come in numbers to AA.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I really hope they put restrictions and doesn't allow this to happen on the western version.I like the world of AA and  do not want to see it spoil with IRL pictures.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• superscott99superscott99 Member Posts: 13
    Predict it will NOT be included in NA release. Irresponsibilty runs rampant over here, especially on the internet, and a freedom like this would be abused. Sad though, it's probably one of the better tools I've ever seen in a sandbox.