Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loyalty Points/System

DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I would think that Trion would want to encourage 'loyalty' and have as many paying Patrons as possible.

That said, looking at the 'free' loyalty items as you rank up in the 4 tiers of loyalty, the numbers seem to be contrary to engendering the 'loyalty' to continue paying.

The 4 tiers are at 90K loyalty, 180K, 600K ( I think) and 1.2 million. Considering that you earn 7K loyalty a month, you wont even make the 1st tier in a full year of Patron status. And on top of that, as you clear each tier, the counter resets so after hitting that 90K mark instead of another 90K to go until T2 its the full 180K.

Now I know you get a daily bonus but so far I've gotten 5 points per day. That 1800 for an entire year of daily bonuses isn't going to do much to get to that next tier....

I think all of this is to give the Patrons 'something' and yet nothing at the same time. Patrons get credits enough on a monthly basis to feel like they can buy things in the cash shop (and some of the pets, items etc are kind of nice) but if they want the 'free' rewards, they are going to pay HEAVILY.

As I understand it, it's a 2:1 ratio. If you buy 1 credit you get 2 loyalty points. The best bang for the buck is 18K credit for $100. Buy 18K and get 36K. approximately $250 to get to rank one 'free' items (or wait a year).

Seems a bit steep to me. Some folks on the forums were saying it's 4:1. You get 2 loyalty for buying the credits and 2 for spending them. Easier but still expensive. $125 to tier 1, $250 tier 2, and onwards.

All this to me seems to discourage 'subs' and encourage dribs and drabs buying in the cash shop. I know Trion makes more in the CS but wouldn't this hurt them in the long (or perhaps not so long) run when folks start doing the math?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's just a bonus system that they put in place. It's an extra, not a main feature. The loyalty system is not a reason to play the game nor is it a reason to pay. The game itself is the reason for paying if you want to. The prizes are just a cherry on top. You're seeing shinies and can't help yourself from wanting them.. you shouldn't, they don't matter.

It's more in place to reward long standing customers as well. As soon as I logged on I was already tier 2.. on the way to tier 3.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I can see that it is a 'bonus' but after the raptr give away a lot of folks ended up with the SL content for free. I would think (having little or no longevity bonuses) they would be discouraged by the amount of time or literally thousands of dollars to get to the 'big cherries'.

Even folks like yourself who were on your way to T3 (I imagine around 13K into T3) are stilling going to need 500K to get to that point (after a year of monthly bonuses unless those ramp up for longevity).

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

time will show. the only sure thing at the moment is that servers are getting full of queues day by day and new ones are opening. and its only 2 days since f2p.

we will see how it goes.

Originally posted by Digna

I can see that it is a 'bonus' but after the raptr give away a lot of folks ended up with the SL content for free. I would think (having little or no longevity bonuses) they would be discouraged by the amount of time or literally thousands of dollars to get to the 'big cherries'.

Even folks like yourself who were on your way to T3 (I imagine around 13K into T3) are stilling going to need 500K to get to that point (after a year of monthly bonuses unless those ramp up for longevity).

Like I said, the rewards don't matter. There's mounts that look just as good as the top tier loyalty mount available as drops in the game (and they are tradable) or in the cash shop. Same for every other reward. You're looking at it like it's something you need but you don't need it.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

For myself, I like attainable goals especially for something regarding theoretically free rewards. Not easy 'give them the world' ones but ones I could reasonably expect with time (months is perfectly fine).

I like Rift, enjoyed coming back to it last month. Had a lot of fun getting a character up to level 52-ish and was looking forward to the continuing sub and even dropping some $$ in the cash shop for a bit of support to the game (pets or perhaps mounts, not a gear type buyer).

Now I am...hm well insulted isn't the right word. Disappointed works as does 'put off'. I've decided to cancel my sub and really don't see it as likely that I will play again, so no CS spending either.

Oddly, if they didn't have the loyalty program and had just left it with the bonuses to the XP, cash etc I probably would have stayed for a bit. Since the loyalty program encourages spending pretty openly (at least be subtle about the process), it has turned me off of the game.

I wish the game and Trion well as well as the folks who are currently enjoying.

• goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79
    For me rift going F2P is good, their cash shop is actualy nice, the loyal system is good too, dont see anything wrong on it, who spendeds more receives more loyality points, that was expected, game as to survive and do spend money on the game so evry one can keep enjoying the game, for me  the thing is worrying me more is the farmmers/spammers and hackers and exploitters that are gona came to the game, wana see if trion can handle that o.o

Originally posted by Digna

For myself, I like attainable goals especially for something regarding theoretically free rewards. Not easy 'give them the world' ones but ones I could reasonably expect with time (months is perfectly fine).

I like Rift, enjoyed coming back to it last month. Had a lot of fun getting a character up to level 52-ish and was looking forward to the continuing sub and even dropping some $$ in the cash shop for a bit of support to the game (pets or perhaps mounts, not a gear type buyer).

Now I am...hm well insulted isn't the right word. Disappointed works as does 'put off'. I've decided to cancel my sub and really don't see it as likely that I will play again, so no CS spending either.

Oddly, if they didn't have the loyalty program and had just left it with the bonuses to the XP, cash etc I probably would have stayed for a bit. Since the loyalty program encourages spending pretty openly (at least be subtle about the process), it has turned me off of the game.

I wish the game and Trion well as well as the folks who are currently enjoying.

Wow, no loyalty bonuses would be better than having hard to obtain loyalty bonuses? Logic....gone.

Can't have everything immediately so I'll have nothing instead.... see you back in Rift when you're done sulking.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

I think it was more of a thank you type thing. Make the transition from P2P to F2P a little smoother for current subscribers.  Reduced backlash. A way to draw in old paying customers.  I was actually skeptical about the Raptr promotion. Didn't expect anyone who had used it on a fresh account to get any loyalty. Figured there was going to be some sort of catch. Nope.  7k lotalty from Raptr.  That is enough to get the account functionality item. Pretty cool. 

Guildies have not had that many negative remarks about the switch either. Most long time players. Twenty four month plus loyalty achievements. Only thing coming up which everyone agrees on is that the new cash shop (vendor) window takes up to much screen space. I agree with them. One use to be able to have all bags open. Also have the crafting along with a vendor window open at the same time while being able to transition from window to window with ease.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I know the Loyalty thing is a Thank You (Like the above post). I played Rift off and on for about 8 months. When Rift went f2p I had earned 83k Loyalty Points. I am blue almost a purp. I would imagine those who played since Rift came out get the really good Loyalty Tier.

Besides I dont think Loyalty is for a newer player. If im gonna get free goodies. I use Raptr. Also, Patron(sub) status is the only way to go! The xp/favor/faction difference is significant enough to keep me subbed.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    its almost a month since i got back to RIFT after august of 2011. Everyday that passes i love it even more. SL rocks and i m glad i quit wow after 8 years for RIFT. Hoping that now, with all those ppl coming, even better days are ahead :)