Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been Playing FF14 since day 1, in current Beta as a Legacy Member - AMA

AsgardxAsgardx Member UncommonPosts: 16
Just thought I'd post here to answer any questions you may have about the old game, and the new. I've been playing since the game launched on and off  and I'm more on the side of the 1.0 days.  If there is any information you'd like to know, I'd be more than willing to assist now that the NDA is more free. Please, Ask me Anything!

Comments

• keltoigaelkeltoigael Member Posts: 9
    When are the PC invites coming out? I bought 1.0 but only played a month so I don't think my account is flagged for legacy.
  • AsgardxAsgardx Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by keltoigael
    When are the PC invites coming out? I bought 1.0 but only played a month so I don't think my account is flagged for legacy.

There is one more phase, then they fix the things from the current phase and release the game into full open beta on Phase 4. If you're talking about the invites for any pre-orders or anything like that, im unsure. I think you get those in the second part of phase 3 but don't quote me on that. 

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    whatcha think of the game?
  • arianonarianon Member Posts: 4

Joined up just to ask this question. I tried the game last March/April (2012) and am trying to get into the Beta. How did you get access to Beta 3? I've been getting some emails from Square but can't figure out where to go to get the client/login.

Ari

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I just got into the beta yesterday and the only thing I am having difficulty with is quest tracking. The map doesn't really seem to highlight the area I am supposed to go to or be in, so it is hard to tell where to go. Maybe I am overlooking something obvious, but any help would be appreciated. Also, why is no one chatting? Is it because it is also on the platforms? And is there a "general" chat or do you just /say or /yell?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by discord235
    I just got into the beta yesterday and the only thing I am having difficulty with is quest tracking. The map doesn't really seem to highlight the area I am supposed to go to or be in, so it is hard to tell where to go. Maybe I am overlooking something obvious, but any help would be appreciated. Also, why is no one chatting? Is it because it is also on the platforms? And is there a "general" chat or do you just /say or /yell?

If you look closely at the map, it actually paints a big red circle for the area where you need to go. And if you click on the quest objective on the right, the map will center on where you need to go.

Originally posted by atticusbc

Overall, It's a standard theme-park MMORPG. I just want to go out and say that I'm not discrediting Square Enix for their hard work in anyway..but they accomplished what they sat out to do. The game is nothing but quest hub hopping now and the combat is ...being discussed. There is currently a divide on the forums regarding the combat. A lot of people enjoy it, but others (like myself) think that the old FF14 1.0 combat was a much more rewarding experience. 

I will say that the world is beautiful, the sound is crisp and the combat is extra flashy. The game is doing a major fan service so you will get to see some fantastic FF elements and this in itself will draw a great crowd. I get my character back in the second phase of beta 3 and get to try out being level 50 with all my new skills.  I'm reserving my full judgement until then as the game isn't what I want it to be. My primary concern is with the combat. Your skills all share a global 2.5 second cool down and some skills carry extended CD's but their primarily utility based. The combat, while fast and flashy, feels extremely shallow. However, I did notice some nice tweaks since Phase 1 and 2, so it keeps me hopeful.

TLDR - the game is superbly polished, beautiful. The world feels very alive and the zones are crafted with care and love, unlike 1.0's maze / copy paste maps. The music has been retooled and fits perfectly in most of the areas Ive been to. As i stated before, they hit the nail on the head for recreation and making a theme park MMORPG. My only true beef is the combat...which is a huge deal to me.

On a side note, Black Mages have been completely revamped in terms of play style and seem to be receiving a ton of praise from my gaming friends - I have not tried it myself.

Originally posted by arianon

Joined up just to ask this question. I tried the game last March/April (2012) and am trying to get into the Beta. How did you get access to Beta 3? I've been getting some emails from Square but can't figure out where to go to get the client/login.

Ari

From my understanding if you pre-ordered the game as a non legacy member you should be getting an invite - if not this weekend then the next. A buddy of mine pre-ordered the collectors edition of the game and he is in game right now. The client and login is on the beta forums. What have the e-mails been saying?

• Godshelp12Godshelp12 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited August 2015

Post edited by Godshelp12 on
    Originally posted by Godshelp12
    Originally posted by Asgardx

Overall, It's a standard theme-park MMORPG. I just want to go out and say that I'm not discrediting Square Enix for their hard work in anyway..but they accomplished what they sat out to do. The game is nothing but quest hub hopping now and the combat is ...being discussed. There is currently a divide on the forums regarding the combat. A lot of people enjoy it, but others (like myself) think that the old FF14 1.0 combat was a much more rewarding experience. 

I will say that the world is beautiful, the sound is crisp and the combat is extra flashy. The game is doing a major fan service so you will get to see some fantastic FF elements and this in itself will draw a great crowd. I get my character back in the second phase of beta 3 and get to try out being level 50 with all my new skills.  I'm reserving my full judgement until then as the game isn't what I want it to be. My primary concern is with the combat. Your skills all share a global 2.5 second cool down and some skills carry extended CD's but their primarily utility based. The combat, while fast and flashy, feels extremely shallow. However, I did notice some nice tweaks since Phase 1 and 2, so it keeps me hopeful.

TLDR - the game is superbly polished, beautiful. The world feels very alive and the zones are crafted with care and love, unlike 1.0's maze / copy paste maps. The music has been retooled and fits perfectly in most of the areas Ive been to. As i stated before, they hit the nail on the head for recreation and making a theme park MMORPG. My only true beef is the combat...which is a huge deal to me.

On a side note, Black Mages have been completely revamped in terms of play style and seem to be receiving a ton of praise from my gaming friends - I have not tried it myself.

I'm in Beta 3 right now as well, and this is so far away from the truth.

It isn't a "typical themepark."

There are many things that take it above being typical/standard, and the combat is not being discussed like you think.  The majority agrees that combat in ARR has been tremendously improved.  Don't spout vague responses, especially when we have an NDA.

I'm sorry but I've been on the forums since day one and there is and has been a divide regarding the combat. If you go to the Battle suggestions and scroll through the hundreds of posts or even search the forum in general you will see it clearly. The game is very themepark, and forgive me if I put that in an ill light  - I didn't intend that. For me personally, it is a bad thing but a lot of people do enjoy it. You literally hop into the game and follow quest hubs from zone to zone, sure you can pick the zone you want to start out in but it all comes full circle. 

As far as things being taken above a standard typical MMORPG, I'd love to hear what those are beyond the Fan service aspect I already mentioned. 

• arianonarianon Member Posts: 4

Not much, the emails have been pretty generic. The text from one I received on the 11th:

"

Beta Testing

FFXIV: ARR is currently in the beta testing stage, with plans to begin the third phase of testing on June 14, 2013. All players who hold a service account from Version 1.0 have been granted access to the beta test.

We welcome all players from Version 1.0 to download the beta client and see the myriad changes in FFXIV: ARR.

* Additional information regarding how to participate in the beta test will be sent at a later date."

"

I actually paid for my copy back then and when I log into the Square Enix Account Mgmt site I can see my character still on the server from back then. I just can't figure out if I'm even eligable or what I would need to do. Just kind of frustrating, I saw another guy up in the thread with the same problem. I wish there was more/better info available from Square Enix.

Originally posted by arianon

Not much, the emails have been pretty generic. The text from one I received on the 11th:

"

Beta Testing

FFXIV: ARR is currently in the beta testing stage, with plans to begin the third phase of testing on June 14, 2013. All players who hold a service account from Version 1.0 have been granted access to the beta test.

We welcome all players from Version 1.0 to download the beta client and see the myriad changes in FFXIV: ARR.

* Additional information regarding how to participate in the beta test will be sent at a later date."

"

I actually paid for my copy back then and when I log into the Square Enix Account Mgmt site I can see my character still on the server from back then. I just can't figure out if I'm even eligable or what I would need to do. Just kind of frustrating, I saw another guy up in the thread with the same problem. I wish there was more/better info available from Square Enix.

Interesting...

There should be a link in one of your e-mails to a registration site. On that screen will also be a link for the beta forums. If you don't have that e-mail then you probably haven't been invited yet. I'm unsure of how their current process is but I will say that S.E does have some interesting ways of providing information...:P

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

There are many things that take it above being typical/standard, and the combat is not being discussed like you think.  The majority agrees that combat in ARR has been tremendously improved.  Don't spout vague responses, especially when we have an NDA.

I've been in beta since the first phase, and played 1.0 on release up until it closed. I happen to agree with his opinion. You have a different opinion which is fine, but it's pretty hilarious when you tell someone not to spout vague responses yet you do the exact same thing. You don't address a single one of his points and instead go with the, "Nuh-uh!" argument. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

I've been in beta since the first phase, and played 1.0 on release up until it closed. I happen to agree with his opinion. You have a different opinion which is fine, but it's pretty hilarious when you tell someone not to spout vague responses yet you do the exact same thing. You don't address a single one of his points and instead go with the, "Nuh-uh!" argument. 

Unfortunately, for you guys the current lead developer has stated many times they are looking at WOW as a guide, and I find it hard to believe that the game would end up any other way.     

Yes, this is something that I feel is unfortunate. Im just happy that I have a 50 so I can skip the quest hub stuff. I would have preferred grinding camps or some other way of leveling. I am confident in S.E to bring some fantastic end game dungeons and events, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, Samurai :)
  • Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    For those that had ver 1.0 and are waiting for a beta code if you recieved a code during beta 1 or 2 and used it you wont recieve another key. One beta key allows access to all beta stages for 1.0 owners. You just need to update your old client or download the new client which you can get from the beta forum. Log into your account on the lodestone webpage where you can access the beta forum and get the client.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by discord235

If you go into your journal and highlight the quest you get a map button that shows where you have to go, most quests are not very far from where you obtain them, other quests like class quests do take you to other zones, read them and use the map function, personally I like it, at least its not holding your hand to much.  Most chat is within the city zones, if you are chatting you are not playing if you are playing you are not chatting, join a social linkshell on release and you will find people chat more in linkshell chat than general.  When players do chat in general they generally use /sh (shout), most chat I have found have been questions or players asking for other players to join groups.  I think a lot of PS3 players don't have an ability to chat without a keyboard, don't use a PS3 so need a PS3 player to confirm that.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I can not think of a more generic themepark. There are the quest rides. You are lined up for one quest after the next. I'm level 9 and they have not stopped yet. You go from point A to B. At point B you are given another point A ad infinitum. On you way from point A to point B you might run into a "FATE" ride. That means you will be given more orders about what to kill and / or gather. Also, on your way from point A to B, you can stop at a giant crystal that will tell you to kill X number of a creature ad infinitum. You can do that ride, called "levequests" as many times as you like. It's like a themepark on steroids. If that's not hand holding I don't know what is.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

I'm sorry but I've been on the forums since day one and there is and has been a divide regarding the combat. If you go to the Battle suggestions and scroll through the hundreds of posts or even search the forum in general you will see it clearly. The game is very themepark, and forgive me if I put that in an ill light  - I didn't intend that. For me personally, it is a bad thing but a lot of people do enjoy it. You literally hop into the game and follow quest hubs from zone to zone, sure you can pick the zone you want to start out in but it all comes full circle. 

As far as things being taken above a standard typical MMORPG, I'd love to hear what those are beyond the Fan service aspect I already mentioned. 

yea until you run out of quest theres not enough quest to levele very class or job to 50

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Do you have to run around and dodge like a chicken with it's head cut off in solo or group combat?   Are they trying a form of action combat?
    Originally posted by Raxeon

yea until you run out of quest theres not enough quest to levele very class or job to 50

Then you just share leves, do hests, dungeons, and FATEs. Nothing really novel about that. 

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I played a bit in 1.0, and very much approve of the direction the game has taken. I'm especially eager to dabble with the monk's combo system, dragoon's positioning mechanics, and group play. 

In an attempt to be as approachable as possible (To coerce people who enjoy the Final Fantasy franchise, but have less experience with MMO gaming (Japan)) the game absolutely holds your hand in the beginning. If this, or doing the standard quest trek bothers you - you'll not be pleased.

This title is not a revolution in MMO gaming. It's just a damn fine effort. One I am eager to delve into further. 

Originally posted by Magiknight
    I can not think of a more generic themepark. There are the quest rides. You are lined up for one quest after the next. I'm level 9 and they have not stopped yet. You go from point A to B. At point B you are given another point A ad infinitum. On you way from point A to point B you might run into a "FATE" ride. That means you will be given more orders about what to kill and / or gather. Also, on your way from point A to B, you can stop at a giant crystal that will tell you to kill X number of a creature ad infinitum. You can do that ride, called "levequests" as many times as you like. It's like a themepark on steroids. If that's not hand holding I don't know what is.

generic until you run out of them its actully faster to level in the instances

Originally posted by simsalabim77

Then you just share leves, do hests, dungeons, and FATEs. Nothing really novel about that. 

they tried to innovate and it failed so know they just have to go make a damn good mmo but they said as long as it holds 500k plus subscribers they would be happy

they tried to innovate and it failed so know they just have to go make a damn good mmo but they said as long as it holds 500k plus subscribers they would be happy

Nah, they just made a completely broken half-assed game lol. They didn't fail because of innovation. I don't think they'll have any problem getting 500k subs if the game is received well in JP.