Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is excellent

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Magiknight
     Still looking for an exceptional game.........

If your standards are anything like mine, I wouldn't hold your breath on ever finding one. Compromise is the name of the game (no pun intended) these days, and I think I've finally come to accept that.

That said, ARR is certainly nothing ground breaking in my eyes, but I've been generally impressed with what I've seen so far. My only complaint is that the combat feels pretty generic and spammy so far. I'm hoping it gets a bit more interesting as you progress.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Seilan
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Sad to hear that it's a linear quest hub game ala Rift. So Wildstar and now this ugh. Maybe 2014 we will see a game that isn't a linear quest grinder. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Except its not.

Quests are not the main focus of the game, by any means, Quests just tell the story.

If you think this is a linear quest grinder then you will be very sorely disappointed.

So ok. I know that once you are done with the quests that they will not be offered again which means that once you decide to level a different class, then the game loses it's quest hubby nature. After that is it leves (or hests), dungeons and class quests (without the story quests and the hub quests)? 

Quests in other regions, FATEs, Dungeons, Leves.

There's also quests for each level range scattered about in different areas, so you can easily level up one class and still have more quests to do when you go back through it again.

Also bear in mind that, because there are several activities that reward xp and are viable to level up, it's quite feasible that you can skip multiple levels' worth of quest lines on your way up, leaving them available for another class, if you choose to do them. Each player will find what they enjoy doing and what they prefer to do.

And of course, it's not like the world will be static and unchanging over time. SE can add more new quest lines in for different level ranges, etc.

I know you think I'm trying to twist it or something, but from my point of view at least, it looks like you are trying to twist it. 

I will just say that an extremely efficient way of leveling, at least up till level 20, is to go through quest hub style progression that you see in typical themepark MMORPGs. You can (and I do), mix in fates (very similar to rifts) and leves (daily type quests) while I solo level extremely efficiently using the quest hub system. 

I mean, when I look at what you're saying, that is how every game works. You can do dungeons in WoW and skip 20 levels worth of quest hubs easily. I'm sure you can do that in this game. But the structure is in place for efficient leveling through hub-like quests at least up until 20. And it looks like that will continue even after you change classes because there are multiple early level zones (which is kind of a duh moment for me because I knew there was a whole other city with low level zones associated with it).

So what would you suggest - we go back 10 years in time, back to the days of mindlessly killing mobs from one to the next, while watching a small blue bar crawl by a fraction of a percent each time? Quest driven games are still popular, and for good reason. All developers can really do is add in other options that offer a similar kind of satisfaction/reward, such as the dynamic events and whatnot, which ARR seems to have plenty of. This is kind of beside the point though.

I think you and Ayulin are arguing about slightly different things here. You are saying that the game seems very quest driven, at least initially, as it's an efficient means for getting those first 20 levels or so, and I'm inclined to agree. What Ayulin is arguing though is that the way the quest placement is setup, it feels much less linear than something like WoW, where your only viable option for progression is to go from one direct quest hub path to the next - I also agree with that completely. I'm proof that you can just follow the main story quest, and pick up random side quests as you go in no particular order, and still progress at an adequate pace. Add to that, the mixing in of random FATEs and whatnot, and you end up with a leveling experience that is at least somewhat unique on a person-to-person basis.

In the end it all comes down to choice, and all these devs can do is give us options to diversify them as we see fit. I think SE has done a pretty good job with that given the nature of the genre, and personally, I haven't yet had a sense of stark linearity since I started playing. Your mileage obviously may vary.

Edit: Mark of the beast post count, baby! image

I'm not suggesting anything or even saying that it's bad. I'm just saying that the game is that way because someone asked about whether this game was more like EQ or WoW. I can agree that to some it doesn't feel that linear but it does feel like there are quest hubs everywhere. But to someone that is coming from the perspective of EQ, I think an argument can me made that these hubs really do lead you from one hub to the next if you follow them and are a very efficient way to level. I mean, just the fact that you can see all of the available quests in the zone on your map (including ones that are too high level for you in red) shows that this game really does have hub-like questing as a central pillar of its progression.

I don't know. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, but this is a pretty traditional way to present the leveling experience in my opinion and if someone likes progressing this way, it's there for them. You can do other things like look at the map and head to the closest fate and complete those for a few hours instead. You can accept a few leves a day to help break up the questing (but really those are just quests). You can group up and do content together including hests and dungeons (or whatever you call them). And there is nothing wrong with those fundamentals. But those are the fundamentals of leveling progression for this game.

Well, I guess I just don't see what you'd rather have them do then. It seems to me there aren't really many other options they could put in that would drastically change the fundamentals of progression. That goes for just about any mmorpg.

• gangbleeegangbleee Member UncommonPosts: 2
    plz bring back ninja tanking
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Well, I guess I just don't see what you'd rather have them do then. It seems to me there aren't really many other options they could put in that would drastically change the fundamentals of progression. That goes for just about any mmorpg.

I wouldn't rather have them do anything.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    To me the game seems pretty good. It is probably the best game to come out in the last year or two for sure.... probably even longer than that. It is definitely a much improved game from the original. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
     Still looking for an exceptional game.........

If your standards are anything like mine, I wouldn't hold your breath on ever finding one. Compromise is the name of the game (no pun intended) these days, and I think I've finally come to accept that.

That said, ARR is certainly nothing ground breaking in my eyes, but I've been generally impressed with what I've seen so far. My only complaint is that the combat feels pretty generic and spammy so far. I'm hoping it gets a bit more interesting as you progress.

Yeah maybe it gets better later on. I'm looking forward to getting a subjob....I think that's what it's called in ARR.  I'm not saying it's a terrible game.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Edit: Mark of the beast post count, baby! image

The number of the beast is actually 616.  The number 666 was just a mistranslation by later variants.

Originally posted by Ayulin

Quests in other regions, FATEs, Dungeons, Leves.

There's also quests for each level range scattered about in different areas, so you can easily level up one class and still have more quests to do when you go back through it again.

Also bear in mind that, because there are several activities that reward xp and are viable to level up, it's quite feasible that you can skip multiple levels' worth of quest lines on your way up, leaving them available for another class, if you choose to do them. Each player will find what they enjoy doing and what they prefer to do.

There are also Grand Company quests, Class Quests, Job Quests, etc...

And of course, it's not like the world will be static and unchanging over time. SE can add more new quest lines in for different level ranges, etc.

Thanks for clarifying many aspects of the game.  I can understand where you're coming from and agree with most of your points in previous posts.  I'm looking forward to playing the new FFXIV and seeing the state of the game for myself.  I was an avid player of FFXIV during the original release and personally loved the game.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    I played it by a friend's house and wasn't that impressed with the combat. I guess I'm too used to playing Monster Hunter and such where I can actively dodge out of attack range. I was running away from a dodo to see if the game still used standard MMO combat, and sure enough, I was getting hit by it even though I was no where near it.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by mrcalhou
    I played it by a friend's house and wasn't that impressed with the combat. I guess I'm too used to playing Monster Hunter and such where I can actively dodge out of attack range. I was running away from a dodo to see if the game still used standard MMO combat, and sure enough, I was getting hit by it even though I was no where near it.

Yeah, it's definitely not an action combat MMO lol. The global cooldown is 2.5 seconds long, which on paper doesn't sound awful, but it feels like forever after playing games with combat that is actually fun. 

• BishopTxBishopTx Member Posts: 23

I just started playing, level 10 archer, and cant bring myself to play anymore. Most antiquated MMO in a long time. Hotbar combat system waiting for global cool downs = boring.

- Combat system is outdated, slow and boring. Combos neat but overall combat lacking

- No spoken dialogue and some really long winded text that is monotonous to read and boring

- Fetch quest after fetch quest - what is this 2002?

- Everything is fairy based, pixies and magic. A normal bow and arrow shot doesn't even make a bow sounds and has sparkles. Stupid.

I hate the game. Its from 2002. Graphically it looks really nice, but its outdated.

there are A LOT of better MMOS out there.....

• brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by BishopTx

I just started playing, level 10 archer, and cant bring myself to play anymore. Most antiquated MMO in a long time. Hotbar combat system waiting for global cool downs = boring.

- Combat system is outdated, slow and boring. Combos neat but overall combat lacking

- No spoken dialogue and some really long winded text that is monotonous to read and boring

- Everything is fairy based, pixies and magic. A normal bow and arrow shot doesn't even make a bow sounds and has sparkles. Stupid.

I hate the game. Its from 2002. Graphically it looks really nice, but its outdated.

i will take your account if you dont want it :)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

In 2002 combat was much slower. There were no instances. There were a LOT less quests.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

In 2002 combat was much slower. There were no instances. There were a LOT less quests.

Yeah, SWG came out in 2003 and WoW in 2004. Obvious troll is obvious.

just PM me your beta code and we will over look this troll image

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

That's strange I found it easy to dodge dodo's special attack, as I did most low level mobs specials (in fact I look forward to higher level stuff which should be tougher to dodge, like Coincounter was in AV in 1.21).  I mean there is even a target that appears on the ground to show you how large their conal or AOE attacks are.  For Dodo you should not run away though, you should just circle to its side/behind since it's breath attack is frontal (not sure if they get their rear "breath" attack at low levels or not. 

You have the opportunity to react, and if you don't then really that is not the game's fault at all since there is no overall lag/animation lock/etc preventing you from dodging special attacks.

You just don't have a "roll around on the floor, fire safety 101" button.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

I did not intend to spark any arguments with my question, so I apologize for that, but all of the information that flowed because of them was actually quite good. The game sounds better than the typical theme park guided rail game so that's a big plus. Another thing that concerns me, while not serious, is instances. I think having them is a big negative when it comes to MMO's (personal opinion here) because they take away from interaction in a big way. To what extent does ARR use instances, assuming that it does? Are all zones instanced or just dungeons? I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy "fighting" for spawns and getting the last blow on that super rare mob. A rare spawn should be a rare spawn, a rare drop should be a rare drop, and we shouldn't be separating people with artificial walls.. 

Ranting, anyway, in what manner does ARR use instances?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Kilrain

I did not intend to spark any arguments with my question, so I apologize for that, but all of the information that flowed because of them was actually quite good. The game sounds better than the typical theme park guided rail game so that's a big plus. Another thing that concerns me, while not serious, is instances. I think having them is a big negative when it comes to MMO's (personal opinion here) because they take away from interaction in a big way. To what extent does ARR use instances, assuming that it does? Are all zones instanced or just dungeons? I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy "fighting" for spawns and getting the last blow on that super rare mob. A rare spawn should be a rare spawn, a rare drop should be a rare drop, and we shouldn't be separating people with artificial walls.. 

It uses instancing for a lot of the story quests. I don't know if you played GW2, but it reminds me a lot of that for the story quests specifically. I'll go and check if there are channels in the zones, but I don't remember there being any.

• JexelJexel Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Well i think this game is pretty great. combat to me is fun and a step up from some other themeparks. and the sub model is also a plus.
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Well I'm a fan of the game, so take this with that in mind.  But I too hated instances and "open content" (not claimed), but a well done instance is in my opinion not a bad thing.  It does allow them more freedom to design fun encounters, and I think the team did a good job in the past and shows promise of doing a much better job in ARR in encounter design.

There is no fighting for spawns, something I used to do a TON in XI.  All open world content (not counting normal world mobs) is either spawned by you, or a part of the FATE system (like Rift/GW2 etc.).  There is no claim wars in FFXIV, at least not at this time and I have never seen them say they want to bring it back (even though there is a significant number of XI vets who have wanted it back).

Claim wars are just not very popular anymore, and due to the abuse by bots and hacking in the past I honestly never expect to see them in a big way in a AAA mmo again.  It is what it is, blame the cheaters (btw I never cheated and I STILL outclaimed many people who did so I'm not just jealous, playing XI I had black belt, and just about every king item I wanted my HNMLS had a long monopoly on our server... though some of them I found out did cheat which lead to me eventually quitting the game)

Originally posted by Jexel
    Well i think this game is pretty great. combat to me is fun and a step up from some other themeparks. and the sub model is also a plus.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Thanks for the info, everyone. Maybe I'll see you in game.
    Originally posted by Murugan

That's strange I found it easy to dodge dodo's special attack, as I did most low level mobs specials (in fact I look forward to higher level stuff which should be tougher to dodge, like Coincounter was in AV in 1.21).  I mean there is even a target that appears on the ground to show you how large their conal or AOE attacks are.  For Dodo you should not run away though, you should just circle to its side/behind since it's breath attack is frontal (not sure if they get their rear "breath" attack at low levels or not. 

You have the opportunity to react, and if you don't then really that is not the game's fault at all since there is no overall lag/animation lock/etc preventing you from dodging special attacks.

I doubt he's talking about strafing out of the way of a frontal cone attack. He's talking about an active dodge feature that gives invulnerability frames so you can dodge any type of attack i.e. if a mob has a basic ranged attack and I use active dodge at the right time, I can totally avoid it. In FFXIV, that's not possible. I don't think a game can add an active dodge/action combat type system to the game without completely designing the game around it. 

I don't really care for tab-target, lock on type combat in MMO's anymore as it bores me to tears, but XIV was never going to have that type of combat, so it's not unexpected. 

Originally posted by simsalabim77

I doubt he's talking about strafing out of the way of a frontal cone attack. He's talking about an active dodge feature that gives invulnerability frames so you can dodge any type of attack i.e. if a mob has a basic ranged attack and I use active dodge at the right time, I can totally avoid it. In FFXIV, that's not possible. I don't think a game can add an active dodge/action combat type system to the game without completely designing the game around it. 

I don't really care for tab-target, lock on type combat in MMO's anymore as it bores me to tears, but XIV was never going to have that type of combat, so it's not unexpected. 

It is an RPG, what is the point of dodging every attack isn't all combat just the same boring routine then? 

Roll on the ground, swing your sword, roll ont he ground again, swing your sword, ROLL ON THE GROUND, swing your sword.  I played Witcher, it is fun for a while, it is terrible for an MMO/long play sessions even of a SPRPG in my opinion.  Dark Souls too, it was punishing which was nice, but so are a lot of classic RPG's and they don't have near the amount of spastic moments that make me want to cry that my "hero" is such a damn pussy.

It is an RPG, what is the point of dodging every attack isn't all combat just the same boring routine then? 

Roll on the ground, swing your sword, roll ont he ground again, swing your sword, ROLL ON THE GROUND, swing your sword.  I played Witcher, it is fun for a while, it is terrible for an MMO/long play sessions even of a SPRPG in my opinion.  Dark Souls too, it was punishing which was nice, but so are a lot of classic RPG's and they don't have near the amount of spastic moments that make me want to cry that my "hero" is such a damn pussy.

I think you're misunderstanding. Active dodging is always tied to a limited resource, and enemies typically have attacks that can do significant damage if not outright kill you if you fail to dodge at the right time. 

I think you're misunderstanding. Active dodging is always tied to a limited resource, and enemies typically have attacks that can do significant damage if not outright kill you if you fail to dodge at the right time. 

So do mobs in FFXIV and other MMORPG's so how is that new?  To me it is not worth giving up the rich complexity which stat/RPG abilities can give.  I've responded about this in another thread, I'm well aware of action combat and active dodging.  I've played TERA/GW2 (which was much worse) etc., as well as better single player action games which use this combat.  It is ONLY about mastering the system and then applying it to fights which are predictable.  In an RPG however there is just more depth, that is my opinion.  I get the "challenge" i'm not bad at First Person Shooters or action games, I just prefer the depth of an RPG when I'm playing an MMORPG.

I need that depth to warrant me paying a monthly subscription to play in this universe they created.  First person shooters and action games are not worth subscribing to unless they are drastically changing combat in their updates by adding whole new systems etc.  Because otherwise it is routine and once I get good enough at it I have nothing to look forward to (except PvP).