Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions of beta phase 3

Comments

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

No point feeding the troll that didint play the ARR yet. I was one of the biggest sceptics when it came to the review of the game from the dead but now im stunned.

I recommend to try the game with swetfx, only thing i still didint like was bland colors in the game (mater of taste) but sweet fx made it looks as vivid as on the movies they where showing (CGI) :P

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Incandela
    Originally posted by tkreep

Here is the horribad movement lag that was present in 1.0: http://youtu.be/hIJCQs-R7X4

And here is how much they improved it through 3 years, a relaunch, and localized data centers: http://youtu.be/m3ZZDvMxjLk

Wondering why people were taking damage 20 feet clear of voidzones at E3? That's why. They've done nothing to fix it. Pretty new zones, quests from WoW, events from GW2, and the same old lag that makes any normal play a nightmare. Pass.

Made a new account just to troll on the game i see cuz I been playin it since last night and havent run into any lag.

Then you're blind, what can I tell ya. The videos speak for themselves.

Well, I concur with him I have noticed absolutely no lag as of yet.

Did you ever think that this was something to look into, you know, because it was a beta and they might want to know? image

Maybe a few people are experiencing a lag "for some reason".

but I certainly am not.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Calypsx
    Originally posted by dred79

Combat is the old way of tab targeting and standing still mostly. If they can make  it the slightist bit more interactive without too much trouble i hope they do.

This is one thing I hope they don't change, I actually prefer the traditional, more slower paced rpg experiences. Lately every game has this strafing, rolling and sprinting while casting and swinging giant weapons, it's a bother to play and I actually find it detracts from the experience for me. 

I really like the slower paced feel and it really makes this game actually more unique than what is offered out there today. Every new game these days are constantly trying to be an action game. The combat fits final fantasy very well.

Funny enough, the slower combat makes this game more unique than the newer mmorpg hybrid action games that come out these days.

I agree on this. Final Fantasy does good by doing this right.  It feels a little more tactical than Rift and that's all I want, I enjoy classic RPGs. I love Guild WArs 2, Will play wild star, but I don't think i'm going to get a better MMO RPG feeling from a game until Elder Scroll comes out.  

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    The combat is turn based but you can move around also certain classes get bonuses for side and rear attacks.

Just wanted to touch on this real quick, it's really not a turn-based MMO, at all.

Anyhow, I was never really skeptical, I guess because I was okay with 1.0. Was it the best game ever, not even a chance in the seven hells, but I was content playing it. I loved my Lalafell, I loved the crafting and I loved being able to switch between everything.

That being said, they have absolutely blown me away with 2.0. I am in absolute heaven. Everything works so well together, everything is smooth and for the most part totally polished. The questing is fun, I don't mind grinding a bit here and there. I was worried that it wouldn't be able to snag my friends as well as it has me, but as of Phase 3, I have zero doubts that many will give in and they'll absolutely love it too.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by dred79

So far leveling 1-8 is waaay too easy. I guess thats expected. I never come close to dying. I hope in later levels killing regular monsters one on one is a much closer fight.

(rolls eyes)

So leveling to 8 is 'too easy'

I'm sorry I can't take you seriously.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by AliceKaye
    The combat is turn based but you can move around also certain classes get bonuses for side and rear attacks.

Just wanted to touch on this real quick, it's really not a turn-based MMO, at all.

Anyhow, I was never really skeptical, I guess because I was okay with 1.0. Was it the best game ever, not even a chance in the seven hells, but I was content playing it. I loved my Lalafell, I loved the crafting and I loved being able to switch between everything.

That being said, they have absolutely blown me away with 2.0. I am in absolute heaven. Everything works so well together, everything is smooth and for the most part totally polished. The questing is fun, I don't mind grinding a bit here and there. I was worried that it wouldn't be able to snag my friends as well as it has me, but as of Phase 3, I have zero doubts that many will give in and they'll absolutely love it too.

Actually it is turn based, the entire mechanic of "tab targeting" means that abilities have cool downs, meaning you're waiting until those cool downs happen to take your turn. It's not tradiotnal (you go I go) , but is well in line with other Final Fantasy turn based systems that instituted updates to the mechanic. This reminds me very much of final fantasy 12's 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I'm curious about this game, currently trying Rift, only level 8 but so far ho hum, anyway, I saw his comment about Turn Based and I was like noooooooo, then you wrote your comment and I wondering what you mean when you say "its really not"...is it or isn't it?

There Is Always Hope!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

There's so many subtle little ambient details, that i am noticing more and more of as I play longer.

For example, stuff like... when you run through the grass, little pieces of grass shoot up off your feet, but when you run through that same grass while it's raining, it's splashes of water that come up off your feet!

Things like that are really important to me, I love fluff ambiance.

Also, the ability to sit on all furniture! This includes stumps around camp fires in the woods, and benches scattered throughout, as well as all chairs. This stuff shows a producer's desire to create a world for us to play in... and not just another game.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by keithian

I'm curious about this game, currently trying Rift, only level 8 but so far ho hum, anyway, I saw his comment about Turn Based and I was like noooooooo, then you wrote your comment and I wondering what you mean when you say "its really not"...is it or isn't it?

No, it's not turn based in any way. It just has a long cooldown (2.5 seconds) for most of your skills. I even have some instant skills that can (and are) thrown in occasionally between those cooldowns.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by colddog04

No, it's not turn based in any way. It just has a long cooldown (2.5 seconds) for most of your skills. I even have some instant skills that can (and are) thrown in occasionally between those cooldowns.

Thank you. Thats comforting. My Laptop with two 580Ms will hopefully handle this game at good settings...now if I can only get invited to a beta to see :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Thank you. Thats comforting. My Laptop with two 580Ms will hopefully handle this game at good settings...now if I can only get invited to a beta to see :-).

The game seems incredibly optimized so far. I am experiencing no lag, no hitching and nothing else to note as far as technical issues go. It's completely smooth 60 FPS on max settings. My machine is decent but not incredible.

• brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

The game seems incredibly optimized so far. I am experiencing no lag, no hitching and nothing else to note as far as technical issues go. It's completely smooth 60 FPS on max settings. My machine is decent but not incredible.

image I am running on a well 2 year old M17x r2 that I have updated not the best system but a good strong laptop with xfire............ xfie not needed tried it with both on and off. Smooth flow no issues no jumping in fact I had to adjust my mouse settings as the settings I had it set to for games like rift and terra I would turn to fast due to the smoothness of the game. I don’t know but from what I can tell Very polished on high settings.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• IncandelaIncandela Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Here is the horribad movement lag that was present in 1.0: http://youtu.be/hIJCQs-R7X4

And here is how much they improved it through 3 years, a relaunch, and localized data centers: http://youtu.be/m3ZZDvMxjLk

Wondering why people were taking damage 20 feet clear of voidzones at E3? That's why. They've done nothing to fix it. Pretty new zones, quests from WoW, events from GW2, and the same old lag that makes any normal play a nightmare. Pass.

Made a new account just to troll on the game i see cuz I been playin it since last night and havent run into any lag.

Did you ever think that this was something to look into, you know, because it was a beta and they might want to know? image

but I certainly am not.

I tell ya what. Give me your server and starting city. I'll run circles around you, and you can record footage to dispute the above videos. Then we'll see who is experiencing what.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Sovrath Originally posted by Incandela Originally posted by tkreep Originally posted by Incandela Here is the horribad movement lag that was present in 1.0: http://youtu.be/hIJCQs-R7X4 And here is how much they improved it through 3 years, a relaunch, and localized data centers: http://youtu.be/m3ZZDvMxjLk Wondering why people were taking damage 20 feet clear of voidzones at E3? That's why. They've done nothing to fix it. Pretty new zones, quests from WoW, events from GW2, and the same old lag that makes any normal play a nightmare. Pass.
    Well, I concur with him I have noticed absolutely no lag as of yet. Did you ever think that this was something to look into, you know, because it was a beta and they might want to know? Maybe a few people are experiencing a lag "for some reason". but I certainly am not.

I tell ya what. Give me your server and starting city. I'll run circles around you, and you can record footage to dispute the above videos. Then we'll see who is experiencing what.

Absolutely no lag here in the UK on an EU/NA server.

I've been having a great time. It's a charming little themepark, sits comfortably between what we already have but the IP adds it's own unique quirks. They've turned it around.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

People who say no lag are a bit blind.  I'm loving the game too, but I can easily see rubber banding and the circle test is still pretty accurate.  Came across a number of monsters now with the AoE attacks that are indicated by the big red circle.  Certain I was out of the circle range for almost all of them but still somehow managed to get hit.

While I'm chalking it up to just server lag with all the testers slamming the servers, I'm of the opinion it just needs more fine tuning in terms of packet assembly.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

but I certainly am not.

or you can just be petulant.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IncandelaIncandela Member Posts: 8

but I certainly am not.

How do you figure that? I'm just giving people the opportunity to give proof to their claim, as I have ALREADY done. Not surprised in the slightest nobody will take me up on the offer.

I don't blame people for their attitude either. Its easy to see this kind of lag and throw the beta card, and expect it to be fixed by launch. However anybody who played this game knows that this was a real problem for three years of the games original launch. Heck, read the comments on that first video. Go to the lodestone link in the description. Circles became triangles, damage from phantom voidzones, etc. The fact that its the EXACT SAME problem even on local servers should go to show that its not going away. And if you think it will after hearing all the facts, then you're naive and delusional.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Random question.

Any of you know how much a Ferry ticket to Limsa is?

I tried to buy one with 4k+ gil in my possesion but got told they will gladly sell me a ticket once i have enough gil but didnt tell me how much it would be.

I started in Grindania and managed to travel to Uldah easy enough but Limsa seems to be impossible to get to yet .

That is concerning me since it would mean that starting in Limsa puts you in a disadvantage.

So anyone knows how much a ticket is or maybe knows of another way (not Airship) to get there?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Jury is still out on the combat - I'm hoping it picks up after I get some cross-class abilities. Right now it's a bit bland, but everything else is pretty good.

Some things I've noticed:
    (*) I've really become used to open, non-tab targeting. It's hard to go back.
    (*) Voiceovers - I really grew to despise them with SWTOR, but now that ARR has nothing, it's conspicuously absent.
    (*) I missed the rather epic storyline quests from 1.0. Those were fun, well done, and were really the only bit of game lore that was present there (at least in the beginning). There is a storyline quest here as well (at least with your class guild), but it's not quite of the same caliber.
    (*) Really quest-hub oriented now. I suppose it was in 1.0 as well, with the leves, but now it's a bit more WoW style where you have to travel out to the hub, rather than getting all your quests from the leve dispenser.

The outdoor zones look a lot better than 1.0 and retain that large open sense they had in 1.0 that makes you want to explore. And the music - very smooth transitions, you almost don't know it but it really makes a big difference.

FATEs keep it mixed up - a bit like GW2 dynamic quests. You could do nothing but FATEs if you wanted to.

And holy cow, the first time I jumped, I nearly fell out of my seat.

It's fun to play, and if nothing else, I'll sub and play it for a bit (as I did with 1.0), if just to support the commitment S/E has made to the IP and the genre. Even if I didn't like the game, I'd probably at least sub one month just to show some support. I was pretty bitter and let down over the entire 1.0 experience.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Jury is still out on the combat - I'm hoping it picks up after I get some cross-class abilities. Right now it's a bit bland, but everything else is pretty good.

Some things I've noticed:
    (*) I've really become used to open, non-tab targeting. It's hard to go back.
    (*) Voiceovers - I really grew to despise them with SWTOR, but now that ARR has nothing, it's conspicuously absent.
    (*) I missed the rather epic storyline quests from 1.0. Those were fun, well done, and were really the only bit of game lore that was present there (at least in the beginning). There is a storyline quest here as well (at least with your class guild), but it's not quite of the same caliber.
    (*) Really quest-hub oriented now. I suppose it was in 1.0 as well, with the leves, but now it's a bit more WoW style where you have to travel out to the hub, rather than getting all your quests from the leve dispenser.

The outdoor zones look a lot better than 1.0 and retain that large open sense they had in 1.0 that makes you want to explore. And the music - very smooth transitions, you almost don't know it but it really makes a big difference.

FATEs keep it mixed up - a bit like GW2 dynamic quests. You could do nothing but FATEs if you wanted to.

And holy cow, the first time I jumped, I nearly fell out of my seat.

It's fun to play, and if nothing else, I'll sub and play it for a bit (as I did with 1.0), if just to support the commitment S/E has made to the IP and the genre. Even if I didn't like the game, I'd probably at least sub one month just to show some support. I was pretty bitter and let down over the entire 1.0 experience.

Full voice acting for the main storyline/characters is confirmed for launch in the supported languages Japanese, English, French and German, they are just not in this test.  Supposedly it has to do with the contracts they have with the voice actors (especially the Japanese ones are pretty well known).

• dred79dred79 Member Posts: 17

Well i enjoyed the beta. I got to level 15 lancer and was getting but kicked fighting the main story quest boss for level 15. I decided to try crafting leatherworker to level 12 which was pretty easy. then i decided to run all the way to un'dal city so i could try switching to gladiator or maurader.

walking between the big quest hubs was not too difficult despite running into level 30+ mobs. as long as i stuck to the road and sprinted it was pretty easy. Not like WoW where i remember dying trying to run past high level mobs to get to the next town.

I think the game will be a huge success cause it delivers on the final fantasy franchise. Great graphics, Greatr animation, good music, story and world. I also like investing all my time into one character as opposed to having alts. If i want to be a monk or dragoon i need just switch to it. My name stays the same. I don't need to come up with a bunch of different names or characters.. The combat is pretty good. I admit that i an not a fan of global skill cooldowns but despite that combat still feels pretty good on the pve side of things. I do my moves and with the custimization of borrowing skills from other classes i feel like you will be tweaking your character to a paticular play style you like. Which will keep it fresh and intersting for a while since you will want all the skills to mix and match.

This is still beta so we will see how much more they can improve. Obviously some voice for the main story i think would help a lot to pull you in.

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57
    i saw this thread...and now...downloading.
  • PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

but I certainly am not.

How do you figure that? I'm just giving people the opportunity to give proof to their claim, as I have ALREADY done. Not surprised in the slightest nobody will take me up on the offer.

I don't blame people for their attitude either. Its easy to see this kind of lag and throw the beta card, and expect it to be fixed by launch. However anybody who played this game knows that this was a real problem for three years of the games original launch. Heck, read the comments on that first video. Go to the lodestone link in the description. Circles became triangles, damage from phantom voidzones, etc. The fact that its the EXACT SAME problem even on local servers should go to show that its not going away. And if you think it will after hearing all the facts, then you're naive and delusional.

I can say without a doubt I never got 'random damage' for no reason at all. I can say there was the occasional rubber banding but you know what? EVERY MMO EVER has rubber banding due to Latency. You know what else? Games cannot control the entire route the packets take to their server.

Was I hit by an AoE I was out of? Twice. And I attributed it to the ring not being accurate. Next time I ran farther and guess what, I didn't take damage. This 'phantom zone' crap is still just crap and not anything I experienced in getting several characters up to level 15+

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I'm seeing lots of positive first impressions here. However, if we're honestly talking about FIRST impressions I'd have to say that FFARR is lacking the necessary "hook" to really keep a new player engaged to get them beyond level 10. 

I was playing a Gladiator and my first 6 or 7 levels included running around town like a courier. This can be like a death sentence for the majority of games out there. Being honest, I've got about 5 or 6 games right now that I have played and never gone back to because of this exact issue. The fact that it's FF and not is the only thing that will make you progress beyond those first 10 levels. Luckily things pick up after that, but damn! If I'm in a beta for an epic RPG franchise and you can't motivate me to play your game, then that's a problem. 

Advice: Play to level 10. It gets better. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I'm seeing lots of positive first impressions here. However, if we're honestly talking about FIRST impressions I'd have to say that FFARR is lacking the necessary "hook" to really keep a new player engaged to get them beyond level 10. 

I was playing a Gladiator and my first 6 or 7 levels included running around town like a courier. This can be like a death sentence for the majority of games out there. Being honest, I've got about 5 or 6 games right now that I have played and never gone back to because of this exact issue. The fact that it's FF and not is the only thing that will make you progress beyond those first 10 levels. Luckily things pick up after that, but damn! If I'm in a beta for an epic RPG franchise and you can't motivate me to play your game, then that's a problem. 

Advice: Play to level 10. It gets better. 

I can name more games that have the opposite issue.  They draw you in early and fall off because well it doesn't really get better(first example GW2).  So a game more for the long haul is a better game imo.

This discussion has been closed.