Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Farming questions

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
anyone have any solid info on farming and whether it will be available in nonPvP zones?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Yes.. farming is available in any housing zone and northern continent if that's what you meant?

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

yes, i believe so. i have read contradicting info on pvp and nonpvp zones in AA.

do you know any details for the farming mechanics? i loved several aspects of LotROs farming including the animations as well as the mechanics.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Farming can be done most anywhere, however...

Scarecrows, which protect your crops and herds, can only be placed in Housing areas. All other farming is vulnerable to potential theft that will leave footprints to be used in evidence against thieves should they be gathered.

There are videos showing animals and crops placed in some of the most out of the way places, nameless islands, scattered mountain tops and plateaus.  Just remember to come back and get... :)

i feel awful about missing this mmo, but i honestly just do not care for open pvp and destruction of created items in game by others.

if i cannot reach max level w/o those elements i spose i shall just have to be disappointed and hope for another sandbox perhaps in the far distant future >.<

dont misunderstand me, i certainly believe there are lots of folks who are going to thoroughly enjoy this game. i just face enough cut-throat competition in real life, im not sure why i would want the same in an entertainment that for me is a means of leaving that behind.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by aspekx

i feel awful about missing this mmo, but i honestly just do not care for open pvp and destruction of created items in game by others.

if i cannot reach max level w/o those elements i spose i shall just have to be disappointed and hope for another sandbox perhaps in the far distant future >.<

dont misunderstand me, i certainly believe there are lots of folks who are going to thoroughly enjoy this game. i just face enough cut-throat competition in real life, im not sure why i would want the same in an entertainment that for me is a means of leaving that behind.

i totally agree with you.    i have the feeling, this game could end up becoming a niche game in the west.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Aspek just like in EVE-Online in the north continent there will be areas where you can farm in relative peace and quiet while supporting the guild who owns the land and set it to PVP only amongst guildies/same faction and if the area gets invaded you could... you know... defend your livelihood medieval style :).

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

If you are just interested in a little bit casual farming without any trading and competition maybe farmville would be the right choice for you.

Of course you may have the option in ArcheAge to farm in safety without any pvp. But as already said, it is just possible in the housing zones of the two starter continents and they are somewhat limited. On the other hand farming land is always limited in a multiplayer environment. (Maybe a singleplayer game would be even the better fit? Sim Farm, Harvest Moon)

And as much as i know you can lvl up to max at the starter coninents without a lot of pvp, if at all.. but on the other side you really will miss a lot, and i dont know if that is so much fun to always stay at your starter continent. You will miss the nothern continent and the open sea. But on the other side i do have another mindset as you.. so it may even be fun for you.

thanks for the clarifications and thoughts folks. appreciate rational discussion about these things :)

i do pvp from time to time, i spose im just not the sort who wants to be watching his back 24/7. my brother on the other hand, man he lives for that stuff. probly why he joined the Army for so long.

with the info you've given me i will be trying to pay closer attention to this title. the devil really is in the details here.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Wonder if you can farm on the ocean bottom ?
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

You can indeed farm under water. There are air tanks that act like the Scarecrows do. Plant and grow Coral for jewelry, plants for potions and cooking...

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

You can indeed farm under water. There are air tanks that act like the Scarecrows do. Plant and grow Coral for jewelry, plants for potions and cooking...

WOW !  very kool.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The more I read and find out about AA the more it seems it isn't as FFA as some would have us believe. I don't know how much control they will let FFA players have over the non FFA community but they don't see to want to make the game about who can be the bigger bully.

In any case, I will hold out until after launch for the obligatory story about how some jackass stole 2 weeks work from someone, then handed it all of to his main and that will be the nail in the coffin. Most game developers understand that it's not just the FFA but the combination of coordinated FFA, Meta gaming and just flat out griefing. They just don't work.