Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games with the current *Best housing systems

Vorpal.RendVorpal.Rend Member UncommonPosts: 80

*Best is an opinion

I am after a good housing system

For the love of crap, please dont say archage or any other game yet to go atleast open beta

Pretty simple.

Requirements are simple: Good housing system which i want to be predominantly crafted

Comments

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I've always felt that EQ2 has an outstanding housing system.However,my opinion is Rift and it's dimension's is even better.Plus it just went ftp.

The difference though,would be cost and i think EQ2 is cheaper when it come's to decorating that house.Even though I prefer Rift housing,it can be very costly.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Id say easily EQ2 considering your mostly crafted statement

RIFT has a good housing system, with full control, but no crafted items

• Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Ultima Online has a nice housing system. You can design them the way you want them. Exterior, interior, and plenty of crafting professions to make storage containers and stuff. Sadly, the population isn't quite what it used to be.. :(
  • NOS44NOS44 Member Posts: 6

Good question.  I also want to hear some suggestions as housing is an important aspect for me. I spent a lot of time in Xsyon building my house and homestead area.  You can be very creative and build something unique.  Unfortunately, for me, after that I became bored with most everything else in the game.

Recently tried LOTRO and was a bit disappointed with the options with decorating in the homes there.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by NOS44

Good question.  I also want to hear some suggestions as housing is an important aspect for me. I spent a lot of time in Xsyon building my house and homestead area.  You can be very creative and build something unique.  Unfortunately, for me, after that I became bored with most everything else in the game.

Recently tried LOTRO and was a bit disappointed with the options with decorating in the homes there.

Yeah Lotro is a disappointment as far as housing goes.At least for me.They're doing a housing revamp this year and I'm holding out hope that they do away with that dreaded hook system.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I agree with EQ2 and Rift.  Also, Vanguard is s'posed to be highly customizable, never got one myself in that game but its worth a check.  Not entirely sure how player housing works in LOTRO but another game worth checking out.  There are also games such as A Tale in The Desert that allows you to build your home from the ground up, literally by making bricks and what not, but its a pure crafting game, no combat.  Same with Istaria, you have to gather up materials, create planks and bricks and whatnot, I don't think those ones are as customizable though depending on what ya really looking for when it comes to player housing.  Oh yeah and Dark Age of Camelot, again I think you have to start with building the foundations.  There's also Darkfall that I'm pretty sure requires you to build from ground up.  Pretty sure there are a few more out there but I just can't think of them right now.

imageimage

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    I always liked the housing system in DAoC. My vote for best however would be UO.
  • abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

Wurm Online has the most customizable system, and you literally craft every component needed. You will level the land around your house and keep crops and farmanimals there too. Yes I know, Its not your run-of-the-mill MMO, but if you can get past the initial period of "WTF is this?!" then you will be rewarded in plenty!

Ofcourse EQ2 is one of the best, but it still is instanced without you actually building the frame.

The best system I have tried in a more conventional, yet classic, MMO setting is Vanguard. You rent a plot in a non-instanced area of the world, and there you build your house using brick, logs, nails etc. 

I hear good things about housing in RIFT, but havent tried it.

---------
    no sig

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    The Sims? ^__^
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by andre369
    The Sims? ^__^

Well, technically it has an awesome housing system. Too bad the rest of the game is wrapped around it. image

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I have yet to see a game with a meaningful housing system, beyond giving you another place to do something that's already in the game.  Housing systems either give you a useless customizable space, or another place to craft.  I have a hard time imagining a better system right now, but I'm sure there must be a better way to develop a housing system for a game.
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Vanguard, EQ2 and Rift
  • sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

Vanguard has a very nice open world housing system. Need to craft everything to build your house. Their are many, many decorations you can craft, along with many you can buy.

Vanguard has the best crafting system also

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

UO and Free Realms for customization, functionality and freeform creativity.

AC, EQ2 and EVE for meaningful guild-focused housing, each in their own way.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Hands down Ultima Online. Best in customization and functionality. It's your storage area, your social gathering place, a place to play board games, a place to craft, a place to display trophies, a place to decorate on the holidays, it's a place you can hold events, a stable, a place to train, a shop where you can sale your wares, a library, etc. 
  • NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20

SWG(Emu)! Wakka wakka wakka.....where housing was your workshop, lab, shop, museum, etc.. many styles and sizes, 10 lots per character, open world placement, player cities, etc...

I have never tried the emu, but I think I just talked myself into trying it out. Thanks!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I was very surprised to see housing released as it was for LOTRO. Back when Jeff Anderson was CEO, he would regularly talk about how players aren't looking for a place for their character to live. He said they were looking for a place to show off, share and get things done, alone or with other players.

I had high hopes for it, but LOTRO released one of the most lackluster and useless housing system I've seen in an MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    EQ2.  I've seen ppl pimp out their houses in ways that blow my mind. 
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

EQ2 forum where people post their houses.  Browse and take a look:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?forums/norrathian-homeshow.29/

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• kaorulkaorul Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Try wonderland online by igg.com? It has a great housing system. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/318/Wonderland-Online.html
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by arieste

EQ2 forum where people post their houses.  Browse and take a look:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?forums/norrathian-homeshow.29/

Damn, when did EQ2 start looking so dated?

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Eq2

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I was very surprised to see housing released as it was for LOTRO. Back when Jeff Anderson was CEO, he would regularly talk about how players aren't looking for a place for their character to live. He said they were looking for a place to show off, share and get things done, alone or with other places.

I had high hopes for it, but LOTRO released one of the most lackluster and useless housing system I've seen in an MMO.

There will be a revamp this year, hopefully for the better :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by NoLimit5401

SWG(Emu)! Wakka wakka wakka.....where housing was your workshop, lab, shop, museum, etc.. many styles and sizes, 10 lots per character, open world placement, player cities, etc...

I have never tried the emu, but I think I just talked myself into trying it out. Thanks!

SWG housing (exterior placement) was the worst iteration of housing in any MMO up to today.

Ruined spawns, ruined atmosphere, ruined landscapes, ruined lore.

Interiors were awesome though.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

UO - Amount of customization is still unmatched, plus I am not a fan of instanced housing it feels more like a big bank box or closet to me, don't like it.

Vanguard -Liked the housing areas, could use some more variety (from when I played, been a while, so I imagine their is more now).

SWG - I liked it, needed a little more interior/exterior variety, but good.