Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: E3 2013 - Press Gameplay Demo

Comments

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

Looks promising for me.  I'm rather interested in the crafting and housing since it has been so long since I've dabbled in that with an MMO in the last few years.

I'm not a great fan of mixing art style era's either but I guess you need to overlook a few things.  Not everything is going to be perfect and I can give up some of that so long as the combat system is good and there are other things to do when you just don't feel like PvP'ing.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

for the first time the game looked pretty good to me. 

I just don't know if I can quest to level cap :((((

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Me no care about demo, me want game now!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

2 things:

i have run across contradicting information concerning OWPVP and whether it is game wide or if there are a continent or two that do not have PvP.

secondly, does anyone have any links or info on farming?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by aspekx

2 things:

i have run across contradicting information concerning OWPVP and whether it is game wide or if there are a continent or two that do not have PvP.

You CAN pk in the pve continents after starter area, BUT there's a heavy penalty for it, not to mention the whole jailtime stuff. Anyone with notoriety will also be instantly hunted by patrol guards and free to be killed by any player at all. The whole jail system is being finetuned and by the time the game releases in the west, we will most likely have far longer maximum jailtime possible.

Let's not forget that after gaining certain part of notoriety you auto-join the Pirate/Criminal faction, making most of npcs hostile to you(except for the pirate territories ones). 

PK and PVP in the sea is free for all, since, well, that's the point of the oceans. fight for traderoutes and resources, not to mention kraken spawns(and the undersea features that are coming like farms and stuff)

PK and PVP in the third continent is restricted by the territory owner's decisions. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Yuui

2 things:

You CAN pk in the pve continents after starter area, BUT there's a heavy penalty for it, not to mention the whole jailtime stuff. Anyone with notoriety will also be instantly hunted by patrol guards and free to be killed by any player at all. The whole jail system is being finetuned and by the time the game releases in the west, we will most likely have far longer maximum jailtime possible.

Let's not forget that after gaining certain part of notoriety you auto-join the Pirate/Criminal faction, making most of npcs hostile to you(except for the pirate territories ones). 

PK and PVP in the sea is free for all, since, well, that's the point of the oceans. fight for traderoutes and resources, not to mention kraken spawns(and the undersea features that are coming like farms and stuff)

PK and PVP in the third continent is restricted by the territory owner's decisions. 

lol, a penalty for high level gankers outside land of origin. I love it.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

2 things:

You have safe zones up to lvl 30, harbours have safe zones and housing areas on the western and eastern continent have safe zones. Everywhere else is open world pvp.

Here is a link to farming :

http://archeagesource.com/topic/1024-planting-growing-cropstrees-and-breeding-livestock-in-cbt5/

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by faiyo
    Originally posted by Yuui Originally posted by aspekx 2 things:   i have run across contradicting information concerning OWPVP and whether it is game wide or if there are a continent or two that do not have PvP.   secondly, does anyone have any links or info on farming?
    You CAN pk in the pve continents after starter area, BUT there's a heavy penalty for it, not to mention the whole jailtime stuff. Anyone with notoriety will also be instantly hunted by patrol guards and free to be killed by any player at all. The whole jail system is being finetuned and by the time the game releases in the west, we will most likely have far longer maximum jailtime possible. Let's not forget that after gaining certain part of notoriety you auto-join the Pirate/Criminal faction, making most of npcs hostile to you(except for the pirate territories ones).  PK and PVP in the sea is free for all, since, well, that's the point of the oceans. fight for traderoutes and resources, not to mention kraken spawns(and the undersea features that are coming like farms and stuff) PK and PVP in the third continent is restricted by the territory owner's decisions.   

Only players of your own faction can be put on trial and put into jail for ganking. Enemy guilds, or factions can pvp without any consequences.

Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by aspekx 2 things:   i have run across contradicting information concerning OWPVP and whether it is game wide or if there are a continent or two that do not have PvP.   secondly, does anyone have any links or info on farming?
    You CAN pk in the pve continents after starter area, BUT there's a heavy penalty for it, not to mention the whole jailtime stuff. Anyone with notoriety will also be instantly hunted by patrol guards and free to be killed by any player at all. The whole jail system is being finetuned and by the time the game releases in the west, we will most likely have far longer maximum jailtime possible. Let's not forget that after gaining certain part of notoriety you auto-join the Pirate/Criminal faction, making most of npcs hostile to you(except for the pirate territories ones).  PK and PVP in the sea is free for all, since, well, that's the point of the oceans. fight for traderoutes and resources, not to mention kraken spawns(and the undersea features that are coming like farms and stuff) PK and PVP in the third continent is restricted by the territory owner's decisions.   

Only players of your own faction can be put on trial and put into jail for ganking. Enemy guilds, or factions can pvp without any consequences.

Ah I stand corrected. Still a good method in that sense though.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by pmiles

Not at all a fan of the steampunkish design... it's like a game that doesn't know what era it wants to be set in... Black Gold suffers from the same affliction.

But, that aside... I didn't see anything in the game that really isn't in all the others.  I figure they will make a mint off of players wanting to keep their castles untouched by invaders... assuming players hang around in game that long.  Don't really see much pulling me in.  If it's F2P I'll try it... got nothing to lose.  If B2P or sub-based, certainly will pass.

Then lets hope to god that its B2P or P2P. I would love to pay a sub just so people like you stay far far away from this title.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by pmiles

Not at all a fan of the steampunkish design... it's like a game that doesn't know what era it wants to be set in... Black Gold suffers from the same affliction.

But, that aside... I didn't see anything in the game that really isn't in all the others.  I figure they will make a mint off of players wanting to keep their castles untouched by invaders... assuming players hang around in game that long.  Don't really see much pulling me in.  If it's F2P I'll try it... got nothing to lose.  If B2P or sub-based, certainly will pass.

Then lets hope to god that its B2P or P2P. I would love to pay a sub just so people like you stay far far away from this title.

Yeah but in the process of going from F2P to B2P/P2P you'd lose nice sociopaths like me ^^ -cold sadistic smile-

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Her voice is fine. Some of you are so nit picky. Seriously. Graphics have a mismatched look to them as if the scale is off. Video also looks more sparse than videos I've seen on youtube (specifically dungeons).

With that said this looks like a game changer. I havent played it but it is the first game to evoke that EQ feeling of wonderment, exploration, and risk.

I hate open world PvP. But this is interesting to me becausw there are no set rules.

To the themeparkers, myself included, lets talk through a scenario I often here. Lets say a huge guild does take over the pvp main island. If you dont like it, its up to you to round up other players and take the guild head on. Or be stealth and steal resources being brought into the island. Or form a gang of your friends to negotiate a deal with them. Or sell out and join them... if they will have you.

notice the stark difference between developers giving you hard content to burn through vs giving you a world where your options are only limited to the systems provided.

You want to succeed? You want to progress? Then you have to deal with the other players. And trust me though it comes across as forced it has the benefit of the game never ending... just a constant state of change you get to interact with. Who wouldnt want that? (Rhetorical).

Hope this game delivers half of what it says. Looks promising and missing in todays sea of me-too resteicted MMOs

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 218

People complain for years on these boards because of the lack of quality AAA sandbox games and how gameplay is always the most important quality by far.  And suddenly, when one is presented, they complain that the graphic "style" isn't to their liking so they write off the game (asian themed or not, graphics look sharp).

Tons of great features / concepts in this game from the sieges, player housing and ships.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Tierless
    Lookin at this vid, SERIOUSLY WTF have the other MMOs been doing in the last 8 years!

Linear scripting, voice-over recordings and cash shops?

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by ArcadianBorn
    I have done a lot of research on this game and though I believe many will be somewhat disappointed in the combat mechanics compared to games like Neverwinter and Tera Online, I still think a large volume of players will be drawn to this MMO merely for the trade and crafting system 

Bingo, we have a winner...  Oh so true mate.

I'm loving the world, crafting and housing.  I can overlook the combat for a deep world and not being a huge PvP fan, I can dip my toe in that aspect of the game on my terms.  It may turn me into a huge fan however.  I will have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed for beta-cake !!

Originally posted by Herithius

People complain for years on these boards because of the lack of quality AAA sandbox games and how gameplay is always the most important quality by far.  And suddenly, when one is presented, they complain that the graphic "style" isn't to their liking so they write off the game (asian themed or not, graphics look sharp).

Tons of great features / concepts in this game from the sieges, player housing and ships.

Because, Asian game + tab targeting are suddenly the two hated things on this board now.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Herithius

Because, Asian game + tab targeting are suddenly the two hated things on this board now.

Add in the possibility of free to play and you have the holy trinity of the MMORPG.com forums... trolls have ragegasmed for less on here.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sadly i said it long ago that i had hoped the pvp would not ruin the game and it does.This is such a grand game too,it does so much and offers so much.

I don't want to be forced to get a bunch of people to build my ship and i want to be able to sail it anywhere as well as walk or go anywhere without always worrying about pvp.

The two options are just a lol,you have to have the MOST money or the biggest guild to be able to enjoy the pvp zones.This is such a bad idea it is a game breaker for myself.

How do they expect anyone to have players always there to guard the castle,i want to play the game and take breaks when 

I FEEL LIKE".That is why i shrugged when she opened up with that PR line about doing " what you want to do",that is an outright lie.I want a castle and i want to ride and build my ship anywhere,i want to access all the content without pvp and this game does not allow that.

I waited so long for this game too,imo it will be a 9/10 but pvp makes it a 4/10 for me,very frustrating.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    its like my mom explaining to me gameplay and mechanics
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    First impressions...what the hell is up with the commentators voice. Can't work out if it is a woman or a 13 year old boy who's voice is on the verge of breaking.

Very annoying voice. For someone doing such a long voiceover job, I would have expected some thought be put into who was doing the talking, specifically making sure people didnt skip or mute it just because that persons voice is completely unsuited for the job.

Typical Asian game all fluff, this is the kind of game that girls will like with all the fluffy looking content, but this is not for me. I am unable to enjoy looking at fluff. Call me old school but this sucks. Seems they trying to make the game play fun and the fluff detracts from this for me. Still there is time for them to change some of the visual side of the game for it to look more like we used to in western terms of gaming experience.

As for the voice was a female but I hear what you saying was very squeaky indeed, but that's not the ladies fault it's her accent which made it sound worse and I commented to my mates on team speak about the voice funny enough.

Bandit

Not tying to be rude toward you but there are plenty of adult guys who don't take themselves seriously that wouldn't care how "flfuffy" this game looks. Look at Tera, etc. Trion is already wanting westernized faces but what else could they change in the game without making look ass ugly and out of place? There are mounts that don't look cutesty, a race based on the European look and other options, the game isn't forcing you to subject to fluff.

If RIFT is anything to tell you from TRION's vision of the West then the West is one ugly place. I mean, I've never seen uglier male models in a game than I have in RIFT. Just horrendous. And this coming from someone who enjoys RIFT as a game.

Also, I don't usually like being negative but the voice done to this video made me physically flinch. But hey, you can use cows as mounts?! I'm sold. *Starts throwing money at the screen.*

Smile

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Im sure they did their best to add the worst voice on the planet

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by RelGn
    Im sure they did their best to add the worst voice on the planet

Atleast it's a lot of fun and kinda cool! 

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    I wish i had a lot of free time to run this game proper with a castle. If i get around to playing this i will most likely be a pirate and try to join a guild of scavengers that are only interested in getting wealth rather than run cities.

I wonder if we can raid cities and profit from that without having to hold them.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I love everything about this game, except the combat - which is unfortunately something you usually end up doing for a LARGE percentage of your gameplay... which means I wouldn't enjoy a large percent.

Still waiting for someone to make an MMO with all these wonderful features... AND fun combat.

Also, I've yet to see any real adventures/quests so while I love all the sandbox features I'm a firm believer that the best MMO's are HYBRID and have adventures you can choose to embark upon.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    First impressions...what the hell is up with the commentators voice. Can't work out if it is a woman or a 13 year old boy who's voice is on the verge of breaking.

Very annoying voice. For someone doing such a long voiceover job, I would have expected some thought be put into who was doing the talking, specifically making sure people didnt skip or mute it just because that persons voice is completely unsuited for the job.

Typical Asian game all fluff, this is the kind of game that girls will like with all the fluffy looking content, but this is not for me. I am unable to enjoy looking at fluff. Call me old school but this sucks. Seems they trying to make the game play fun and the fluff detracts from this for me. Still there is time for them to change some of the visual side of the game for it to look more like we used to in western terms of gaming experience.

As for the voice was a female but I hear what you saying was very squeaky indeed, but that's not the ladies fault it's her accent which made it sound worse and I commented to my mates on team speak about the voice funny enough.

Bandit

Not tying to be rude toward you but there are plenty of adult guys who don't take themselves seriously that wouldn't care how "flfuffy" this game looks. Look at Tera, etc. Trion is already wanting westernized faces but what else could they change in the game without making look ass ugly and out of place? There are mounts that don't look cutesty, a race based on the European look and other options, the game isn't forcing you to subject to fluff.

I don't know, I have to side with Bandit on this one, it looked like Saturday morning cartoon content.  All fluff, IM sure the kids and girls  will like it, but I saw nothing in that massively long video that was of any interest to me.