Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Comments

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I find this thread hilarious.

Those of us who remember the past consoles that were released remember these same conversations and all they hype of the consoles which were totally worthless by the time they were released.

Now lets look at the real picture here. All these games going to console are low quality graphics. lame game engines, released by old school greed mongering publishers. oh and lest we all forget Diablows 3 is going to console for the PS3 and many players find that laughable.

So now to the future. Star Citizen PC only, Citadel of Sorcery PC only, Destiny console, Titan(or whatever the hell Blizzard wants to call it.) PC only.

I cant really think of any other highly anticipated games that are up and coming that can fit in that list that would have more than a few hundred thousand players. Not counting the trash clone asian games market.

Now when I listen to the young players that live in my area I get a nice chuckle as they are feeding off the hype being given from PS4 and XBox One. I remember the same crap happening with the PS3 and Xbox360... or how about the PS1? or the N64? how about the dreamcast?.....

Listen up fools, every console to date that has been released has always fallen behind in the gaming industry.... why?

Simple... PC tech changes faster than the console developers can keep up to. Think about it, just last year Nvidia had the 600 series, and now the 700 series, next year we could see an 800 series..

Oh and the real game designers that give a rats butt about you gamers are designing the next gen games...  dont beleive me check out Star Citizen if you havent already. minimum req. graphics Geforce 640+. Chris Roberts said it loud and clear - "We're not designing this game for everyone. We're designing it for those that want it." You want the next gen games upgrade your pc's, consoles... even the PS4 and Xbox One wont be able to play them.

So keep with the simple minded masses and think PC's are going away and consoles will have their day... and Ill laugh at you all the while as I play the games My system is designed for and leave you in the slow lane.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Akumawraith

Those of us who remember the past consoles that were released remember these same conversations and all they hype of the consoles which were totally worthless by the time they were released.

True dat!

I bet you I can necro  posts from 2006 saying the same s*** that's said here, only instead of the PS4 and XboxOne, the thread would be talking about how the PS3 and Xbox 360 were going to force us all to get jacked on to headphones and start controller mashing our MMOs on our Dualshocks.

It didn't happen...not even close.

PC is going to be a major gaming platform for the indefinite future.  The reasons have been explored earlier, but here are some reasons why:

1) Consoles are toys, PCs are tools.  A console is designed for entertainment.  Yes, you can do other things with them than play games (like watch streaming films and check Facebook), but PCs can do those things too.  Soon, TVs without the consoles will do those things.  Plus a PC can do far, far more useful things.  A console is merely a media consumption device.  A PC is a media production device as well.  Desktop publishing, coding, video and animation production, statistical calculations, archiving and anything you would need to do for your goals.  A console will entertain you, but a PC will not only entertain you, it'll make your life easier in any number of ways.

2) PCs are easily upgradable.  Consoles are not.  Ask any owner of an early run PS3 what their biggest problem is and they will tell you, to a person, it's the hard drive space.  The PS3 was designed for games to be played on disk, not to host full installs of gigabytes.  And yet, there's no option--outside of purchasing another PS3, to improve the hard drive space.  Consoles are built to be what they are...and what they will always be.  With PCs, you just add another drive, or upgrade the RAM, or update the graphics processor.  Do these things cost money?  Yes, but its a whole lot better than buying a full product at retail each time you need to upgrade.

3)  Consoles have to negotiate time in the living room.  PCs can let you game perpetually at your desk.  A console is designed to be a feature of the living room; hooked up to the premiere TV set in the household at a viewing distance of 3'-8'.  This caters to the console's strengths: cinematic graphics, impressive sound effects, and communal gaming.  But you can't sift through 'data' very well in that way.  Many MMOs and nearly all RTS games require people to look at a vast array of information and choose it in a GUI with efficiency and precision.  That's why the desk and mouse combination works well for those formats, and why they are (in no small way), almost exclusively on PC.  Now I must admit that some MMO games, the "twitchy" action combat types, might play well on console.  But a game like EVE--or even a game like WoW--would be more difficult to translate.  Now can you set up your console space to look like a desk, with mouse and keyboard?  Sure.  But why do that to your living room when you have it already on your PC in the study?  After all, you have to share your living room with others, like your mother, who wants to watch Oprah, or your father, who wants to watch the Daytona 500.

4)  Console games are becoming much more expensive in the future, while PC games are becoming much cheaper in the future.  We all heard about the PS4 and XboxOne schemes to cut out the resale market.  What this will mean for you are more expensive games.  We already know that the platforms have a hegemonic control over the price point: soon it'll be $70 a crack at a first run action/adventure title.  But with the changes coming to the resale market, they'll have hegemonic control over the floor as well...and that means your days of cheap and cool console gaming are over.  You'll get it for about $35 on the online store...eventually...which you'll have to stream for hours on the TV that everyone else wants (see #3).  Do we do that on PC too?  Sure, but the PC is a whole lot more robust downloading and multitasking.  Not only that, but with Steam, PC games are coming down in price like never before.  I can get games for $5 that would have cost me $50 a couple years ago.

These are just four reasons, but I can probably think of more.  If anything, I think the PC is a lot safer than the gaming console going forward.  I'm hesitant to make predictions, but the PS4 and Xbox1 are probably going to drive more people to PC, rather than the other way around.

(PS...whoah...I didn't know I had this much to say...sorry for the threadnought :P ))

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    A console is fine for gaming and a few other things. PC's do so much more..
  • AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

PCs are and will always be ahead of consoles in terms of graphical quality and controls. This new generation of consoles will only match the current generation of high-end gaming PCs and will soon fall behind them, just as they have in every other console generation. Owning a PC gives you access to every MMO as well as thousands of other games. Not to mention the fact that PC controls are far superior to consoles. There is no other platform that comes anywhere close...

TLDR: Basically, if you keep upgrading your PC over the years, you will always have a next-gen console and access to the largest library of games there is.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

The obvious solution to this is to buy both a PS4 and a PC.

There are some things to consider however,

A PS4 might be roughly equivalent to a modern PC in terms of graphics etc... but in probably less than a year a PC will be more powerful. In 3-5 years that PS4 is going to look pretty long in the tooth when compared to your average PC and any longer than that it will be an obsolete gaming platform like today's PS3 is vs. a PC.

Also games on consoles usually cost more. Doing some research online today it looks like the recommended price of a XBone or PS4 game will be A$119.95 vs. the PC cost of A$89.95.  But, with the PC you can get significant discounts for digital downloads. 

Console games also keep their release price longer while it is easy to pick up PC games cheaply within 3-6 months or in steam sales. Take Bioshock Infinite for example, from Australia the cheapest console price I could find was A$52.62 with free shipping.  For the PC the best price I can find today is A$26.78 or roughly half the price of a console game.

A PC has multiple uses, and most people will own one anyway so while not spent a bit more to make it a good gaming PC which will do all the other things you need it to do as well as kick the PS4 and XBone's arse as a gaming machine.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Unless you equip console with full keyboard and mouse ....PC's will never be replaced.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Akumawraith

I wish this had been posted earlier. Akumawraith nailed it, this is the same old discussion that is held every time a new console is in development. For me, if you like consoles please play them.  But don't delude yourselves into thinking that they are any better or even equal to a simple PC.  To answer the question Yes it is worth owning a PC now, and long after the next Generation of consoles are released.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'll just stick with my keybord and mouse on pc. I have my computer intergraded into my HT room, so i get to just louge away as i play. No need for console.

I'm shure others have there pc's hooked up to there tv's to, Well since graphic cards have hdmi, and so do tv's it would make since.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Ahhh the old console vs PC debate rears its ugly head again.

• you should never spend thousands on a PC - you can build a respectable gamer for under a grand
    • MMOs are coming to consoles because there is money to be made - if you have always MMO gamed on PC, you're not going to want to make the switch
    • playing on the console takes the TV away from your wife, kids, significant other
    • if you can't use a controller (like me!) don't bother trying to make it work... just stick to the mouse/KB
    • PC's are used for many, many more things besides gaming
    • why did I fall for this thread again?
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Anubisan

PCs are and will always be ahead of consoles in terms of graphical quality and controls. This new generation of consoles will only match the current generation of high-end gaming PCs and will soon fall behind them, just as they have in every other console generation. Owning a PC gives you access to every MMO as well as thousands of other games. Not to mention the fact that PC controls are far superior to consoles. There is no other platform that comes anywhere close...

TLDR: Basically, if you keep upgrading your PC over the years, you will always have a next-gen console and access to the largest library of games there is.

What you say is almost entirely true... except I would correct you on next gen consoles matching current high end gaming PCs. More like they will match above average gaming PCs... but not high end. Just Google the parts that are going to be used. Actually, my PC that I built 2 years ago with two HD 6850s is still more powerful than the upcoming Xbox One and PS4 in terms of graphical horsepower. 

What the people that create these types of threads fail to see is that consoles are becoming more like PCs... not the other way around.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?

Graphics:  About the Same

Graphics: PC has the advantage. Already ahead in terms of processing power. Plus PC's are constantly evolving.

Controls:  Both can use controllers, but Mouse/Keyboard people have to play on a PC.

Controls: PC is more versatile. Allowing for use of a multitude of controllers, wheels, sticks and mouse/keyboard combo.

Voice Chat:  Most Consoles have integrated voice chat beyond the normal game Voice Chat, PC's can use the game voice chat or another program such s Skype, Teamspeak, and Ventrillo.

Price:  Generally speaking, consoles have recently become cheaper than a "good" gaming PC.

Price: Consoles are cheaper, but PC games are in general much cheaper. Plus, you have an exceptionally large catalogue of games spanning multiple decades to play. Furthermore constant steam and other gaming site sales. A $60.00 console game can be found on sale easily for and often for %50 off on PC.

*Servers:  Since Microsoft and Sony rarely want to play well together, the chances of cross-server grouping is slim

Servers are the biggest issue, IMO.  In all honesty, console MMO gaming is small in comparison to PC MMO gaming.  There are exceptions, of course, but when it comes down to it; PC servers will have a higher population.

Servers: Console systems will be connected to servers that will allow the same population as current PC games. With new power comes new options. Especially since MMO's are devolving into instanced minigames/dungeons. However, as consoles grow stagnant (re; 8 year life cycle) PC's will get further and further along. That is assuming that developers start making MMO's to test those limits...

Granted, this all changes if they allow the aforementioned cross-server grouping.  Defiance was supposed to have it, but it was removed due to issues between the bickering children that are Microsoft Sony.

I think PC gaming is overall the way to go. But I will probably get the PS4 (Was an xbox man prior). MMO's on my console sound great as it puts everyone on the same playing field. It is also my hope that cheating wont be as rampant and they can actually ban the spammers once and for all.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Hi All,I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

This why if you where true PC gamer its maybe more expensive but if you cahnge becouse of money thats bullcrap comparison.

PC will always be superior to consoles nomatter what.

PCGamer explains why.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/13/six-reasons-the-pc-is-winning-e3/

NUFF SAID!

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

"Xbone" - looks like some players are starting to get the idea how the whole gaming industry is turning into a huge cash shop.

And this thread needs to go in the General Gaming section of the forums.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Spending thousands on PC never had much sense to me.  I've always managed to get my gaming PCs for much less and to make them with enough potential that they lasted years as gaming machines.  It's preety easy actually if you don't require uber ultra details, with big AA & AF and a constant 60 fps + to go along with it at absolutely all the time.

If someone prefer to play kind of action-adventure MMOs that plays fine with pad, then I can see how they may choose console.

Every make decisions for themself, but for me PC stays as my main gaming machine.  Great for kind of games I like to play and will be easier to avoid microtransactions and million of DLCs, now when next gen consoles are embracing those big time.

• PsycospankPsycospank Member UncommonPosts: 36
    It all depends on how much freedom you want but there is no doubt that with console gaming becoming more and more online friendly that this will be the mass market for all things entertainment...dare I say MMORPG's as well :).

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by maji
    Somehow I never had the urge to own a console. I mean: there are so many awesome games on PC, why would I need a console?

so many awesome games on console.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by maji
    Somehow I never had the urge to own a console. I mean: there are so many awesome games on PC, why would I need a console?

so many awesome games on console.

in the upcoming titles though, most of them are also going to be on PC, although, infamous, second son, might persuade me to buy a PS4 in the end.. but Xbox 1, not a chance in hell.image

• superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30
    Let's see, consoles only need to worry about running decently at 30 fps. Console graphics are equivalent to about med-high on the PC. Honestly, if were were to compare consoles to high-end PC's we could easily tell that a gaming rig could last 5 years without upgrades.  I use a 6 year old CPU and still am able to max out Skyrim and most MMOs (~30-60 fps) on my 22" monitor. You just gotta know how to overclock and optimize your computer to the best of your ability. Heck, I'm still running on 32-bit and if my motherboard let me overclock my CPU some more, I'd be able to do fine until the PS4 comes out.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    You see the developers do not use the PC to it's full potential. You may own an I7 quad with all the latest and greatest on it but developers still make mmos like it is 1990. Low end tech and try to give it the best coat of paint possible without using the good stuff.  So if you like mmos on a pc I never saw a need to buy the best pc out there. I still think pcs are best for online rpgs, fps and rts games.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by superguitardude
    Let's see, consoles only need to worry about running decently at 30 fps. Console graphics are equivalent to about med-high on the PC. Honestly, if were were to compare consoles to high-end PC's we could easily tell that a gaming rig could last 5 years without upgrades.  I use a 6 year old CPU and still am able to max out Skyrim and most MMOs (~30-60 fps) on my 22" monitor. You just gotta know how to overclock and optimize your computer to the best of your ability. Heck, I'm still running on 32-bit and if my motherboard let me overclock my CPU some more, I'd be able to do fine until the PS4 comes out.

if a console only ran at 30 fps then that would be a poor job, it certainly only a 'barely acceptable' frame rate for  a PC game, particularly one thats in any way action orientated, like a shooter. I would hope that the 'next gen' of consoles could at least double that image

• superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by superguitardude

if a console only ran at 30 fps then that would be a poor job, it certainly only a 'barely acceptable' frame rate for  a PC game, particularly one thats in any way action orientated, like a shooter. I would hope that the 'next gen' of consoles could at least double that image

30 and 60 fps isn't even that big of a difference for me to bother upgrading. After certain PC titles, I couldn't even get into the Demon Souls port, which is pretty much the same as on the consoles. People seem to praise consoles, but it's obvious that  the PC could output better graphics. My cousin saw me playing GTA IV on the PS3 and he couldn't get over the "no AA" part. His 30" monitor spoiled him ;)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    If wow was to point its hairy and steel clad tusk in console (say Xbox one?PC would become irelevent very quick.but I suspect console were created the way they are especially to prevent this .ff14 is all fine and good but imagine lol or wow on console ?no more need of PC?I. Would be one of the first to go get said console and sell my pc
  • AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Let me know when consoles get real mods or you can play every console game ever made on a PS4.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Xb1and ps4 are on par with non twitch streaming PC owner.direct cache and direct memory access is a ... To learn for Dev ,but they will since in the long term it means lower costpc never had to bother with 64 bit or DMA and dca ,but now Dev will need to if they don't want to end up Dev for android chess game .
    Last time I bought a console was a supernintendo ,for 1 game,tetris attack.I rented that annoyance for a month before buying it .the ladies I was living with loved it .they could compete vs each other or us the guys. Without getting hurt and combo ?it took a bit of luck and preplanning to get it right.it. was awesome (probably still is lolwhy I mention this,nintendo is at it again,a PvP. Paint game sploondle or whateverthat game alone is worth the wiiuand I will probably buy the wiiu ,yep wiiu is a 2004 era thing but god does Nintendo knows the heart of gamers!(almost annoying !ROFL)
  • Worth it?   I don't entirely know about "worth" but I prefer a PC for many reasons.  The equation is not really about worth.  Its about a cartel trying to force you into something.

There is no doubt that a small number of companies are trying to force as many people as possible into the scam known as "console gaming".  This herding of sheep into their pens has gotten more and more overt and has payed off more and more.  So yeah that is the trend.  Every company with the gall to support PC/Mac based gaming that makes any money will be aquired and then forced into making stuff only for the console. Because "that is where the money is".  They convienently leave out there is an obvious and concerted effort to assure "where the money is".

Once they have their audiences captured they are on easy street.  Same old, same old.  Smart player avoid a market by creating the equivalent of a utility setup.  Consoles or the railroads of the late 1800s its always the same game.  Now the railroads there were actual physical reasons why the operated as partial "utlity" style things then the big fish just bought up every smaller network until there were only 2 or 3 actuall different things and no real competition and a captured "market".  Consoles though, they are a pure scam, they aim to do the same thing but there is no real infrastructure of actual laid down rails, they just force the various development houses into their fake paradigm via bullshit publisher deal, out right buy outs or other rather crappy things.

Let's face it; the scam is working and as it progresses it makes it work more and more effectively.  Because the more they force an audience into one of the 3 members of their fake ass cartel the more people buy into the idea of "that is where the money is".

We are now at point where not only are less developers making stuff for PC that isn't some crappy port but the console pushers able to squash a lot of PC publishing without any real consequences as they gain more and more leverage over the "market" (there is no market, that is the point of having a cartel.  Just like there is no healthcare market in the US and has not been one for decades no matter what either political party tells you.  You, the actual consumer, are not invovled in price setting feedback, therefore there is no market).

This discussion has been closed.