Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are any good games getting released this year?

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Whilst I would like my many awaited games to arrive now I do realise that a polished game is far more important.

When I looked at my list of games to want I started to realise that nothing seems to be released this year...

Correct me if im wrong...

Wildstar - late this year

ESO - spring 2014

Archeage - no idea..2014?

EQ Next - 2014/ 15?

WOD - 2016?

Titan - ..... mmmm 2019?

Comments

• OricyOricy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I have to agree, all the good mmo's/games seem to have a 2014 date or further.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    See the thing is, when a game finally gets released we've all long since decided it's crap and started looking towards next years games. We're likely to never be satisfied.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    See the thing is, when a game finally gets released we've all long since decided it's crap and started looking towards next years games. We're likely to never be satisfied.

That's actually a good observation, one I've made myself.  People get all hyped up about games, thinking they're going to be "WoW killers" and when they come out, they suck just as bad as the games we already have.  The "next big thing" is always over the next hill and the closer you get to it, the less it looks like anything impressive so people push their expectations out even farther.

Here's a newsflash for everyone:  There is no "next big thing".  Every game is going to be just like what we have now.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I am just actually looking for a good game, everything out right now is either krapt or I have played it to death.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    This year is super weak for new MMO releases.. 2014/15 will kick ass
  • sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Final Fantasy XIV

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

EQN and WoD are my biggest hopes for an actual game to have a 'home' in. The optimist in me says that Sony's been far too quiet for far too long to not have a ready EQN to release this year. I honestly think having a combined release of PS4 and EQN could be a huge huge huge boost in sales to sell the console on top of game itself and 'regenerate' the old EverCrack days. As much as I hate the idea of EQN being on consoles (without restricting a mouse and keyboard for play) I can see it being a good play.

WoD is a pipedream right now, EVE is just too successful right now and they've just dumped their money in the basket for DUST. I don't see anything really exciting coming out of CCP regarding WoD for at least two MMO generations ~2017.

Wildstar will be a similar case to Guild Wars 2, it'll hype. We'll tear it to pieces. The majority will move on. From what we are hearing about ESO, it will be a multiplayer game, it won't be an MMO as tradition describes. I am getting a strong "Pick up and put down." or "Rush it in a Weekend." feel from it. Archeage not including it's shiny cars and funky shirts will flop hard in the west barring major revisions to the game in it's localization.

Whatever Titan ends up being it'll likely be successful, hopefully it'll have longevity to it however and not end up like a weekend rush game like D3 or Cata was.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    This year is super weak for new MMO releases.. 2014/15 will kick ass

Which is what everyone said about this year and what they will say about 2016 when they're sitting around whining that nothing good is coming out in 2014/2015.  No, those games won't kick ass, they'll be exactly like what we have right now.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

If its as good as it looks, then the answer to the thread title is Yes with Hex:Shards of Fate.

http://hextcg.com/

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Grey950Grey950 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Hex looks great so far. It does suck that there's nothing right around the corner, but then it also encourages us (for better or worse) to start looking into the other mmo hybrid genres. Fps, tcg, etc.

A multi-game MMORPG community
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The question is rather hard because different people are looking forward to different games.  I for one am looking forward to WoD, EQN, The repopulation, and TESO (Somewhat).

I self identify as a monkey.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Looking forward to TESO, so I guess I have to wait til 2014.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    ArcheAge may be released this year.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    nothing before 2015.  for me
  • RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Final Fantasy Reborn and Hex Shard of Fate are the only two major MMO's that seem to have a likely 2013 release date.

But like some other people in this thread have said, almost EVERY MMO gets people hyped, until it comes out, and people realize its not much different than what we already have right now.  There will eventually be a "next big thing" but there is absolutely no way to tell what it will be before it releases.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I am concerned about the future of the MMO industry. As far as I know the only P2P/B2P MMO to come out this year is Defiance and we are now in June. It seems like nobody wants to put big money into MMOs anymore.
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I'm still half-expecting ArcheAge to be released at the end of this year.

But next year The Division is gonna take a LOT of my time, even though it's not a full-fledged MMO or even a PC game... yeah, it's that good.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Kyleran

thats why Hype shouldnt start years before release. Let the game hype itself.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I think Hex will be awesome, I backed the kickstarter and can't wait to play. But there is absolutely nothing MMO about it, regardless of what the devs say.