Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift's new ad roflmao!

GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
I just have to say the new ad for Rift F2P is funny.  I lol'd so hard.  I like how Trion has always taken shots at WoW, even though I still like and play WoW.  They're not afraid of the big giant, they mock it :)

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Seems kind of juvenile to me. I'd prefer the company to stay classy.
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    link please?
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by darkhearts
    link please?

http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm

• Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43
    Yes, I thought it was rather funny aswell although to me it does not seem very professional.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    man all i get is an arcane saga ad no matter how much I refresh...  :(
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Honestly it has been a long time since I played Rift (played it the month of launch and gave it a second launch), but I caught the ad partway through the first time and said "Oh an add for WoW" and then saw Rift pop up at the end. For a game that takes so many stabs at WoW, they didn't exactly beat their own path (and no I don't play WoW or like it).

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Trion's been doing it since day one.  The original ads and tv commercials used to say "We're not in Azeroth anymore!"

And it's not a "WoW clone".  It's quest based leveling yes, bg's, but that's about where the cloning ends...and that'll be just about any and every quest based MMO.  The term "WoW clone" is a farse, there's no such thing.  All MMOs with quest driven story will be like WoW...that's why they're in the same genre of gaming...the only other option is a sandbox type...

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    It's funny. I like it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Still haven't seen it, only been getting arcane saga ads for the last week or more.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Yeah its funny ad:) bored panda^^
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Trion's been doing it since day one.  The original ads and tv commercials used to say "We're not in Azeroth anymore!"

And it's not a "WoW clone".  It's quest based leveling yes, bg's, but that's about where the cloning ends...and that'll be just about any and every quest based MMO.  The term "WoW clone" is a farse, there's no such thing.  All MMOs with quest driven story will be like WoW...that's why they're in the same genre of gaming...the only other option is a sandbox type...

Yeah I saw the original ads, wasn't all that much humor in them.

I didn't ever say "WoW clone", you drew that from the fact that you are clearly a fan and someone said something other than "Rift rules". I did say they didn't exactly beat their own path, which they didn't. I've played both WoW and Rift (and dozens of other MMOs) and there are far more similarities than you suggest there to be.

I also didn't say that following a well worn path was good or bad. Simply that it makes little sense to poke fun at a game you were heavily influenced by and that is, after all that poking, still doing far better than you ever have or will. Very different from someone randomly saying "WoW clone".

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    They need to add a pet Panda that gives the same look every time you open the in-game store, lol.
  • KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70

It's the perfect example of a Warcraft clone. Just because it has quest hub hopping doesn't make it a clone, it's everything else.

The crafting is the same

The endgame is the same, run a dungeon into the ground for tokens/currency/purples until the next raid is released

Going from quest hub to quest hub to progress(which they removed in the expansion and just made you kill thousands of mobs per zone with barely any exposition, some people liked this, I didn't)

The pvp is the same, queue up for an instanced quick deathmatch for points to spend on more gear

The talent system is very interesting but min-maxers ruined it by making cookie cutter builds that everyone follows, but in a game like this it was to be expected

I could go on. Trion at least has tried to make it different by adding housing and making that 3 way daoc style (what I've heard anyway) pvp mode or whatever you call it but really with the systems in place you can only change the game but so much.

While the Rift system sounded good on paper it quickly became a chore, instead of "Oh no X is attacking Y, I better help!" it became "Oh finally X spawned, time to go get some free tokens", there were no Rift bosses that would pose any sort of threat to anyone because they can't do anything against 100+ people.

It is possible to be a themepark and be nothing like WoW. They don't go hand and hand because there were themeparks before WoW.

• halpyhalpy Member UncommonPosts: 42
    did i miss it? roflmao
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It made me briefly smirk, but in no way was it "roflmao" inducing.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

It's like a Honda Civic trying to bash on a Ford Mustang.

They still doing this tactic?  Yeah it might be a bit funny to some but when it comes down to it, WoW grinds Rift underneath it's feet in pretty much everything.   When push comes to shove WoW will decimate Rift.  Why poke fun at a game that clearly is the superior one?

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Rift is definitely a WoW clone, as a poster above me detailed.  The gameplay is virtually the same.  That said, its not a *bad* WoW clone, the polish and quality is there.  Basically, now if you want to play WoW minus the PvP for free, you have the option of Rift.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    I just have to say the new ad for Rift F2P is funny.  I lol'd so hard.  I like how Trion has always taken shots at WoW, even though I still like and play WoW.  They're not afraid of the big giant, they mock it :)

Pretty idiotic to mock the game that took 98% of their game design and art from.

• darkbalthdarkbalth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Wow is a clone of many of other games.  So to say something is wrong for cloneing is dumb.  You take the best parts of a mmo and expand on them.  When you are playing a mmo they are going to be similar in many ways.  this was the truth way before WoW was a game.  So stop saying everything is a wow clone. 
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Pretty idiotic to mock the game that took 98% of their game design and art from.

Rift looks alot better then WoW..looks nothing like WoW..so how did it take art from WoW? I don't understand. RIFT has taken everything that's good about all the MMOs and put them into there game. They even took stuff from the new games. So its not necessarily a WoW clone. WoW is a clone itself doing the exact same thing as RIFT when it was released. Take ideas and put into there game and build on it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Adren
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Rift looks alot better then WoW..looks nothing like WoW..so how did it take art from WoW? I don't understand. RIFT has taken everything that's good about all the MMOs and put them into there game.

their*

And if that was even remotely true, then it wouldn't have features from WoW. And it's still missing the vast majority of good MMO features from past MMOs. And yes, the graphical styles, fonts, and GUI are EXTREMELY similar.