Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where is my actual superhero game.

anjealous82anjealous82 las vegas, NVPosts: 116Member
To put it bluntly where is my superhero game where i'm put someone through a concrete wall or destroying a city block in an all out battle. Where are the piles of powers that DC promised and failed to deliver. Where is the action that Champions Online promised, but all we got was a World of Warcraft with a superhero cover.

Comments

• darthbuhdarthbuh Posts: 22Member Uncommon

City of Heroes shut down at the end of last November.

/thread.

Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
    On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall
  • MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyPosts: 1,012Member Uncommon

Are you going to pay for all the artists, programmers, 3d artists, designers and marketing?

Well are you? Or was your plan to just invest 2 million into the company and have them make it?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• anjealous82anjealous82 las vegas, NVPosts: 116Member
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Are you going to pay for all the artists, programmers, 3d artists, designers and marketing? Well are you? Or was your plan to just invest 2 million into the company and have them make it?  

If I had the money and fund to do it I would. I would to be their making sure it was what in my mind the mmo I would be looking to play. I would also do monthly post see what players think and what they might suggest. But the true of the matter is Ii'm flat broke. I wish I had 10 billion right now I would buy Bioware and give 10 million to developing this mmo.

• ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member

its in purgatory with the:

actual fantasy game

actual star wars game

etc.

the moogs will tell you to just be happy they made something in the genre you like

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,809Member Rare
    I'm with it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 16,598Member Epic
    I liked Champions Online.  It's really not that close to WoW.  Champions Online has much faster tempo combat, and is largely based around you fighting groups of mobs that are individually weaker than you.  It's largely based around tinkering with customization, and the content is mostly something to try out your latest build on.  That's nothing like WoW where you pick a class, stick with it forever, and go on endless raiding to gear up.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Colorado Springs, COPosts: 957Member Uncommon

while not a fan of champions,i is in no way a rip off, copy of , clone of or anything else to do with WoW the fact that you are saying such is enough to discredit anything you have to say

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• HypeHype Huntsville, ALPosts: 270Member Common
    Originally posted by anjealous82
    To put it bluntly where is my superhero game where i'm put someone through a concrete wall or destroying a city block in an all out battle. Where are the piles of powers that DC promised and failed to deliver. Where is the action that Champions Online promised, but all we got was a World of Warcraft with a superhero cover.

To put it bluntly: You haven't made it yet.

To put it nicely, everyone who has tried those things has run into obstacles making their wildest dreams come true. Usually these obstacles come to down to time and money. No one has figured out how to let you destroy buildings without turning what was once a city into a parking lot. And the buildings are supposed to, what? Respawn? And no one has figured out how to get new powers designed and tested when subscription rates drop sharply and you have to cut staff. If you can figure those out, or have sufficient time and money, you can make these things a reality.

The Illusion of Choice

• NildenNilden Canada, NBPosts: 1,700Member Rare
    Originally posted by darthbuh
    City of Heroes shut down at the end of last November.   /thread.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but after the release of Marvel Heroes any hope for an actual superhero game happening is right up there with Jessica Alba showing up on my doorstep wearing nothing but a towel.

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• PhryPhry OxfordshirePosts: 7,727Member Rare
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by darthbuh
    City of Heroes shut down at the end of last November.   /thread.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but after the release of Marvel Heroes any hope for an actual superhero game happening is right up there with Jessica Alba showing up on my doorstep wearing nothing but a towel.

Sadly True, on all counts, though have to say, the Jessica Alba thing is right up there with winning the lottery jackpot, only less likely... image

Have not seen another Superhero MMO worth playing since COH/COV was shut down. Probably as unlikely to happen now as SWG 2 was image

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 5,361Member Rare
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Are you going to pay for all the artists, programmers, 3d artists, designers and marketing? Well are you? Or was your plan to just invest 2 million into the company and have them make it?  

If I had the money and fund to do it I would. I would to be their making sure it was what in my mind the mmo I would be looking to play. I would also do monthly post see what players think and what they might suggest. But the true of the matter is Ii'm flat broke. I wish I had 10 billion right now I would buy Bioware and give 10 million to developing this mmo.

When you do you will realize the technical obstacles as to why that dream mmo doesnt exist yet. And realize that it will prolly cost a lot more than 10 million too because you have to pay for the employees and many things that into making a triple A mmo.  Its like if I were back in the 2D age of gaming as in snes or genesis and asking where is my 3D games that can handle all these features.

• anjealous82anjealous82 las vegas, NVPosts: 116Member
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    while not a fan of champions,i is in no way a rip off, copy of , clone of or anything else to do with WoW the fact that you are saying such is enough to discredit anything you have to say  

I'm not saying Champions nor DCUO is an exact copy down to the T. I'm saying on some levels it's still a clone on some small minute level. The only comparison is that comes to mind is the press a slotted skill button and sit back and watch. Thats the only clone comparison I can think of. When you think of a super hero, what comes to mind is action. Not RPG style play. I hope games like Black Desert fill my craving, otherwise i'm left with partially done single player games.

• MaktubMaktub VitebskPosts: 4Member
    Can you describe it using more details?
  • goldtoofgoldtoof leedsPosts: 337Member
    Secret world is pretty much a super hero game really
  • udonudon Durham, NCPosts: 1,802Member Uncommon

I think the truth is the constraints of a multiplayer world and some of the features you want don't go together very well.  You need to look more to SPG's for that and even there I have not seen a huge number of well done ones.  

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 5,361Member Rare
    Originally posted by udon

I think the truth is the constraints of a multiplayer world and some of the features you want don't go together very well.  You need to look more to SPG's for that and even there I have not seen a huge number of well done ones.  

Batman Arkham series has done it well, but I guess he doesnt count since he doesnt have powers to blow up buildings.  There is also Infamous and Prototype.  The Amazing Spiderman game too.  But I agree that the mmo genre still has not a proper super hero mmo.

I think if devs make a super hero mmo, they should think of it in this way...mmo-action-adventure RPG

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Its on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans

I watched your video and I must say that it's cool! I hope you will be able to advertise your game)

Is anybody here?
  • jesadjesad Posts: 869Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hype

To put it nicely, everyone who has tried those things has run into obstacles making their wildest dreams come true. Usually these obstacles come to down to time and money. No one has figured out how to let you destroy buildings without turning what was once a city into a parking lot. And the buildings are supposed to, what? Respawn? And no one has figured out how to get new powers designed and tested when subscription rates drop sharply and you have to cut staff. If you can figure those out, or have sufficient time and money, you can make these things a reality.

Itemized

1. Destroy buildings - Voxel technology.

2. Rebuilding the city - See EQ Landmarks "world healing" technology.

3. The above can be paced or theatrically performed by adding a construction site like what was done way back in COH during their first expansion.

4. You don't design new powers, you build an encyclopedia of powers from the onset and make making them stronger the goal.  With destroyable buildings this could easily be accomplished and made gratifying.  (It is rare that superheroes manifest new powers anyway).

5. Time and Money - Haha yeah, you got me there.

• HypeHype Huntsville, ALPosts: 270Member Common
    Originally posted by jesad
    Originally posted by Hype

Itemized

1. Destroy buildings - Voxel technology.

2. Rebuilding the city - See EQ Landmarks "world healing" technology.

3. The above can be paced or theatrically performed by adding a construction site like what was done way back in COH during their first expansion.

4. You don't design new powers, you build an encyclopedia of powers from the onset and make making them stronger the goal.  With destroyable buildings this could easily be accomplished and made gratifying.  (It is rare that superheroes manifest new powers anyway).

5. Time and Money - Haha yeah, you got me there.

Those are good ideas, but implementation is tricky. Supporting that much voxel technology is a hassle. There's a reason EQ only does Landmarks that way. Not only to limit how much ever needs to be brought back, but how much gets destroyed in the first place.

I don't recall COH doing construction dynamically on a large scale. Certainly you can create a construction version and spawn that, but when you do that for every building you add a lot of work to what needs to be processed and fed through the lines.

Every game has an encyclopedia of powers available. The problem is that players say 'that's not enough.' And then we get additional problems.

Your ideas could all work, provided someone had the time and money to secure the technology and skillsets to make all that happen. There would be ups and downs getting all that new tech and new implementation to work, both from a technical aspet and from a game design aspect. Then the question becomes: would such a game still be profitable. The tech is out there to make a virtual reality game with a headset and your hands have glove controls and heck, put you on a treadmill that lets you walk through the world. But will millions of people buy the $1000 system and pay the $50/month fee you need for upkeep? Probably not.

I think it can be done though, you basically have to have the whole game procedurally generated. This presents a HUGE design challenge and would wreak havoc on processors. Only the newest computers could handle it, and you'd have to come with a much better way to handle runtime errors, but I think that's the most likely path.

The Illusion of Choice