Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage is going F2P already in Asia, I still think its overhyped

khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

This game is being hyped so much, IMO it is gonna be a massive letdown for people just sitting waiting for it.

Its already going free to play in Asia http://www.mmobomb.com/news/archeage-goes-f2p-in-korea/

The combat is the same old stuff as any other game. Combat is what makes games fun or not fun to me. 

The sandbox features are nice, but I have a feeling the game isn't as fun as its being hyped to be. 

I'm just gonna be playing Final Fantasy XIV and then try Elder Scrolls. Two games that have familiar worlds, items, characters and a place in all of our hearts for decades now.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Comments

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    just means there isn't much of a grind, and no race that looks like half naked 11 year olds.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by evilized
    just means there isn't much of a grind, and no race that looks like half naked 11 year olds.

What do you mean?

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by khameleon

What do you mean?

He was describing 90% of Korean MMOs.

Originally posted by Krashner

What do you mean?

He was describing 90% of Korean MMOs.

Oh, yea I don't like that, if a game uses that to attract players, it probably has little going for it lol.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Bit on the ironic side to bash it for its combat being same old then saying you are playing FFXIV.

Combat not exactly it's strong point either.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Combat is actually the only letdown in ArcheAge, everything else seems to be quite neat.
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Bit on the ironic side to bash it for its combat being same old then saying you are playing FFXIV.

Combat not exactly it's strong point either.

FFXIV lets you change class on the fly, you switch weapon and you change to that class. So one character can be a Dragoon one minute and then a Black Mage or Bard the next. 

Its gonna have a lot of cool combos in its combat and materia system, and has all the classic final fantasy classes.

Like I said, FFXIV is a classic, we all played it for decades, so even if the combat isn't action/innovative it is something we love still. When you hear the FF tune play during battle it is awesome even today.

ArchAge is a new franchise, I don't recognize anything in it, nothing about it holds a place in my heart from childhood memories of playing in that world, thats the difference. So, to draw me in, it needs to have very fun or innovative combat IMO. If not, it'll feel like just another Korean grinder.

So you see, that is the difference. FF has fanatics & loyal longtime followers of their world, Archeage does not.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

This game is being hyped so much, IMO it is gonna be a massive letdown for people just sitting waiting for it.

Its already going free to play in Asia http://www.mmobomb.com/news/archeage-goes-f2p-in-korea/

You are telling that it's "overhyped", because you don't know anything about the game!

As well you nave no clue what type is the Korean F2P is going to be. Well i tell you that its like a trial, you can do some quests and kills some mobs, but can't build houses nor farms, can't gather or craft since you won't be getting any labor points with your F2P account. This system we are calling here "freemium" or "trial", and a sub is still going to be needed if you want to enjoy the game fully.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If the westernised version of AA is not F2P at launch, it will be F2P soon after.

It will have no choice, because it will only appeal to small niche of MMO players.

Today's average MMO player wants instant action and fast, flashy combat. They won't like the sandbox elements of the game, because those features "slow down" the gameplay and will bore them.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

The combat is the same old stuff as any other game. Combat is what makes games fun or not fun to me. 

The sandbox features are nice, but I have a feeling the game isn't as fun as its being hyped to be. 

I'm just gonna be playing Final Fantasy XIV and then try Elder Scrolls. Two games that have familiar worlds, items, characters and a place in all of our hearts for decades now.

QFE x2

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Betaguy

QFE x2

I get that impression about an awful lot of titles.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

AA is my favorite AAA title. After $OE i didnt wanted to touch one but XLGames and Trion got much of my trust back. 

How they did it ? They didn't just talk they implemented the features they talked about and not only that throughout their developement they have been open and even didnt put NDA on it but what AA is you could see years before launch on various videos and through "closed" beta stage.

Its a amazing AAA developer...There is not much room to get overhyped on that mass of info that is available.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    And combat will stay the same... We are talking of MMO's here. And clearly you are not that bothered by it when you mention what other games you are playing. Same combat... And yes I played them.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This is old news so you are late.
  • LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Today's average MMO player wants instant action and fast, flashy combat. They won't like the sandbox elements of the game, because those features "slow down" the gameplay and will bore them.

Agree, most of the players on the West won't like a sandboxy game, but on the other hand many players are waiting since years for a sandbox game, as well many themepark players are want to try out something different from the traditional WoW clones, most of the Lineage2 players are waiting for AA...

We will see how many players will be interested in AA once Trion starts the their betas, now we can just speculate since still most of the Western players haven't heard about AA.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

If the westernised version of AA is not F2P at launch, it will be F2P soon after.

It will have no choice, because it will only appeal to small niche of MMO players.

And the very same is true for any other MMO released nowadays. The P2P only time is over.

BUT... there is really a difference how you do it.

- Is it a F2P only game just getting the money from Cash Shop?

- Is it B2P with additional money from Cash Shop?

- Is it B2P with a option to Sub and some additionol money from Cash Shop? (Premium Membership)

- Is it F2P with a option to Sub and some additional money from Cash Shop?

So there will be a lot of different types of revenue models and F2P will not describe all of it, because it is really to vague.

And the average MMO player didnt helped other games to stay p2p, much more the contrary the average gamer is leaving any game after a few month.

What is the last P2P game staying p2p after 1 year of release?

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Mannish
    This is old news so you are late.

It has been free from April so yeh kinda old :) Just making it look better announcing it a bit later probably. 

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• ZornhauZornhau Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Apraxis

And the very same is true for any other MMO released nowadays. The P2P only time is over.

- Is it B2P with a option to Sub and some additionol money from Cash Shop? (Premium Membership)

So there will be a lot of different types of revenue models and F2P will not describe all of it, because it is really to vague.

And the average MMO player didnt helped other games to stay p2p, much more the contrary the average gamer is leaving any game after a few month.

According to steparu, it seems like F2P won't allow stamina regen . . . aka no crafting, which will eliminate chance to build houses, etc. Thus only lvling and hunting. I think this F2P is more like a trial version and might work out in the long run for XL games.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Zornhau

According to steparu, it seems like F2P won't allow stamina regen . . . aka no crafting, which will eliminate chance to build houses, etc. Thus only lvling and hunting. I think this F2P is more like a trial version and might work out in the long run for XL games.

Sure if it was just the trial part I could see it working it wouldn't really change anything. But since f2p always brings the cash shop it's not something I want to be part with. Since labor points are almost like a currency in game and you can buy them from cash shop it's not really a unique way of making p2p game it's exactly the same as any other f2p game.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

So mindless superficiality is what players want  ?

*First of all players are not monolithic in their likes and dislikes

*Secondly I would wager that if you took a poll right now and asked players whether many of the games in the market are mindless and superficial....many would say too many unfortunately fit that description.The all too common lament in these forums is that game developers keep remaking the same games over and over with just the slightest twist to posture the game as new ...break through....and different.

Originally posted by Zornhau

If I were a marketer(again)..having a device to give all a free sample of what i think is a fantastic product would be a tool I would seize in a heartbeat. Makes great business sense.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

And in that case, I appreciate where you are coming from. However, Combat might only be a small piece of the pie for someone who is more into building, crafting, creating a nation.

Though I won't be playing this game as I don't like several things about it, I don't really think it's overhyped at all.

The ability to plant, grow, harvest and use your own resources, the ability to, apparently, combine abilities and create your own classes, the ability to have war on the high seas, use gliders, and have limited looting, are not things that are done a lot so I can easily see people getting excited about this.

The ability to build right in the world.

There is a lot that is "special" about Archeage.

As far as your Final Fantasy answer, regardless of changing your class by changing weapon, the combat is still tab targetting, skills with cooldowns, etc.

So I still don't see how you can justify one over the other.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    AA sounds like a true world. An alternate reality. There are so many things to do.I'm looking forward to taking up residence in that world and see what it's all about.
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

I love how you claim the game is overhyped yet you passively try to hype ESO. lol.

The game went f2p in Korea mainly because of how XL games treated players, not because omg it's so bad.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

AA hype has been on the decline (locally) since this sites greatest supporter got tired of waiting.

FFXIV hype, otoh, has been on the rise since it became ok for Square-Enix to come back out in public again (no hurled vegetables).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.