Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm quite happy with the new FFXIV

13»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Calypsx
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    I really wish I could play the beta... My boyfriend got in and I just have to sit here and watch him play it. Sucks :<...

slap him and push him away. Take control! image

Problem is he's visiting in Canada right now, he said I can play on his account when he's not able to play himself, but I'm worried that will get him banned or something since i'm still in the USA on my computer.

I don't know the details on sharing accounts.

you are a couple, i dont see how you could get banned. It would be a bad idea to do it with a friend. Also they arent going to question you while logging in ^^, just dont say it isnt him just in case :p

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    While I can't say anything about what's in the game due to the NDA. I'll definitely be subscribing to the game when it's released.

NDA is lifted except for videos or audios, so you can say whatever you want about the game :)

hmm.... really?I can post screen shots?

Yes sir, post away :)

trusting anyone on this forum without doing further research is, well, not smart.

not saying he is wrong but I wouldn't trust anyone here.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38
    I really wish I could play the beta... My boyfriend got in and I just have to sit here and watch him play it. Sucks :<...

slap him and push him away. Take control! image

Problem is he's visiting in Canada right now, he said I can play on his account when he's not able to play himself, but I'm worried that will get him banned or something since i'm still in the USA on my computer.

I don't know the details on sharing accounts.

you are a couple, i dont see how you could get banned. It would be a bad idea to do it with a friend. Also they arent going to question you while logging in ^^, just dont say it isnt him just in case :p

alright, i'll give it a try.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by etlar
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

Well, some people have already started posting screenshots as you might have noticed...

Still, I don't fully understand what is it about the game that people enjoy. It's tab-target, no voice-over, run-of-the-mill-grindy-quests (and classic high-HP mobs, don't expect to be 3-shotting monsters your own level). And most of the time you're just running around the world from one quest hub to another, with limited combat in between (unless you get lucky with FATEs). Even the class system isn't ground-breaking or amazing; granted there is a bit more crafting into the game than in most games, but it isn't amazing either.

Obviously I haven't played the most recent build past level 15, but I've been into it since 1.0, alpha, betas, etc... and for the people who are not FF fans, the game seems rather boring.

Could you please share what would make you actually pay a subscription for it, given that games like Tera, Rift, NWO are F2P and GW2, TSW are B2P? 

In my humble opinion, no tab target, 3 shotting mobs, and being OP in general, is not  FF.  in 1.0 they could not give me a ff experience, it actually seems like they can here, and thats what ff fans want (i think) i dont want a ff game where i 1 hit mobs,  there is no trinity and in general i can do everything myself, if i want that, i play gw2 or wow (which i enjoy also) 

The game is not like this at all once you get past the tutorial missions (1-10).  In fact, it pretty much requires more effort after the first couple of levels.  Though as a whole things get much more complex later on, and you will need Antidotes as well as battle awareness to survive (in addition to allies helping you so you don't get owned at times).  Even when you get your chocobo battle companion mobs still take some time to take down and can quickly overwhelm you and your chocobo if you're even a couple levels above you.

Just how difficult it is, is probably up to your class and how well you play it.  If you know all your combos, the tricks of your class, what abilities you take from other classes to use on your main class, the build of your chocobo, the stats you decided to invest in, etc. then you should be good on most accounts.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    While I can't say anything about what's in the game due to the NDA. I'll definitely be subscribing to the game when it's released.

I will for sure try. And they are more then fair (I do not care if for Japanese pride or anything else) but as I have understood everybody that have purchased original game will be able to download client for free. Incredibly positive move toward playerbase and fans. At this moment I do not care at all how much i was disappointed at that time, barely can wait.

Nowadays main problem is there are more good games out there then anytime in past. :-) Still would like to go back to Wow and Gw2, playing now Swtor, would love to try NW, of course FF, Wildstarr, TESO, ... wow .. my wallet already hurt. :-))

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

Well, some people have already started posting screenshots as you might have noticed...

Still, I don't fully understand what is it about the game that people enjoy. It's tab-target, no voice-over, run-of-the-mill-grindy-quests (and classic high-HP mobs, don't expect to be 3-shotting monsters your own level). And most of the time you're just running around the world from one quest hub to another, with limited combat in between (unless you get lucky with FATEs). Even the class system isn't ground-breaking or amazing; granted there is a bit more crafting into the game than in most games, but it isn't amazing either.

Obviously I haven't played the most recent build past level 15, but I've been into it since 1.0, alpha, betas, etc... and for the people who are not FF fans, the game seems rather boring.

Could you please share what would make you actually pay a subscription for it, given that games like Tera, Rift, NWO are F2P and GW2, TSW are B2P? 

And that's what I like.

It's Final Fantasy, classic, old school with a slight modern edge. Playing this game made me realize why I even started playing MMO's to begin with. Love GW2, but it wasn't to paly an action RPG, I like turn based combat, i like the tactical options I have during it.  Most importantly, I like story.  The story is pretty good and i'm only level 10, still I got that final fantasy feeling like something is so much more than what i'm reading. I can't wait to progress.  

I also likethe fact that I don't have to do the boring chores to level, i can just chain creatures, old school final fantasy leveling. 

As someone whom has declared neutrality with MMOs, (I'd say this game is great if you were missing story and a classic "RPG" experience).  I almost bought into the "antitab targeting" argument before I realized while playing this game, this is classic RPG style. 

What I hope the game has ( and i know it does in limited form) is directional attacks that factor in height and attack angle. That would create more movement during normal combat and not just battles. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    After playing the beta for a couple of days and uninstalling, I find Aion to be more enjoyable and less restrictive with content funneling.  Of course, that doesn't mean much when I don't like either enough to keep playing them.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    After playing the beta for a couple of days and uninstalling, I find Aion to be more enjoyable and less restrictive with content funneling.  Of course, that doesn't mean much when I don't like either enough to keep playing them.

It doesn't mean much at all to me.  What content funneling are you talking about.

The ARR I played has a wide variety of content to choose from and I am not funneled towards any of it, I can choose to do and go wherever I want to.  This is true both for leveling, and at endgame where there are a variety of different activities available.  Or one could avoid such content altogether and devote their time to housing, crafting, gathering, or they could go level any job in the game they want to.

You are saying that FFXIV:ARR a game where every character can literally max every class, job, craft, gatherer, own as many houses as they want, do every quest in the entire game, do every single bit of progression in the entire game, see every piece of content, fight everything AS every type of role RESTRICTS people as much as Aion.

What are you talking about?  Can you do all those things in Aion with one character?  Oh, you can't?  Well then I guess ARR doesn't restrict you as much as Aion, does it? 

• Can you switch factions in Aion? 
    • Can you use a barber in-game to change your appearance without going to a cash shop in Aion? 
    • Can you get everything offered in the cash shop, including cosmetic items in-game in Aion? 
    • Does Aion restrict you from getting items in-game through some means of grind that can be bypassed by a cash shop?
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

lol, can't tell if trolling or serious.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Aion 1 leveling zone for each level set, IE 1 zone for 1-12.

FFXIV 3 leveling zones for each level set IE 3 zones for 1-7 (or more)

I have no idea what you are talking about.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I admit that I have enjoyed my experience in all of the betas even though each time I've been involved I haven't seen much of the game but up to level 15 due to my work schedule.

With that said, even though I mention that I've enjoyed what I've seen I have to say that this game really brings nothing new to the genre and in my opinion doesn't really improve on anything... Take Fates as an example, what I've experienced of Fates seems to me that they are poorly done 'static events'. PQ's in WAR, Rifts/invasions in Rift and DE's in GW2 are all done a heck of a lot better. Fates just seem to give you a mass surge off one type of enemy attacking you, which is on a timer (which actually shows up on the map) and repeats with no progression or change of that event (at least not that I saw)... It does bring players together to fight em off and is a fun little diversion but I'm curious how long it will take for people to get tired of them and realize how shallow of a time sink it really is, and in my opinion it's only implemented for the sake of diverting your attention from the fact that the tasks/quests in the game are truly more of what we are used to in MMORPG's... But, having said that I still enjoyed the beta experiences I played.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Emeraq

I admit that I have enjoyed my experience in all of the betas even though each time I've been involved I haven't seen much of the game but up to level 15 due to my work schedule.

With that said, even though I mention that I've enjoyed what I've seen I have to say that this game really brings nothing new to the genre and in my opinion doesn't really improve on anything... Take Fates as an example, what I've experienced of Fates seems to me that they are poorly done 'static events'. PQ's in WAR, Rifts/invasions in Rift and DE's in GW2 are all done a heck of a lot better. Fates just seem to give you a mass surge off one type of enemy attacking you, which is on a timer (which actually shows up on the map) and repeats with no progression or change of that event (at least not that I saw)... It does bring players together to fight em off and is a fun little diversion but I'm curious how long it will take for people to get tired of them and realize how shallow of a time sink it really is, and in my opinion it's only implemented for the sake of diverting your attention from the fact that the tasks/quests in the game are truly more of what we are used to in MMORPG's... But, having said that I still enjoyed the beta experiences I played.

The fates have a level sync system, this is something new. There are different fate events, suppose your play stime is limited you have not experinced all of them. Things seem to be added on the fly during the beta process, like the level sync, which was added on this beta.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by MagikrorriM

The fates have a level sync system, this is something new. There are different fate events, suppose your play stime is limited you have not experinced all of them. Things seem to be added on the fly during the beta process, like the level sync, which was added on this beta.

FFXIV is a really fun game and ppl keep compairing it to GW2 which is in fact the same thing, but please stop compairing it to rift's rift events....... Rift events are way more dynamic than GW2 or FFXIV. Its not just a surge to stop out a local threat. Rift invasion are the entire zone. Oh and GW2..... their events are so bad.... without the trinity PVE just does not work. its boring and not fun please stop praising this game. Its pvp however is great im sick of the GW2 praise in PVE it doesnt deserve it

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Carnicide

FFXIV is a really fun game and ppl keep compairing it to GW2 which is in fact the same thing, but please stop compairing it to rift's rift events....... Rift events are way more dynamic than GW2 or FFXIV. Its not just a surge to stop out a local threat. Rift invasion are the entire zone. Oh and GW2..... their events are so bad.... without the trinity PVE just does not work. its boring and not fun please stop praising this game. Its pvp however is great im sick of the GW2 praise in PVE it doesnt deserve it

Where did I compare it to Rift in that statement? Rift events would overwhelm the zone if no one was there and it was a pita if you were trying to level through it. At least the npcs in FFXIV can fight off the fate events, which I see as a plus for mostly abandoned zones. IMO the Fate system is better than Rifts.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Carnicide    The fates have a level sync system, this is something new. There are different fate events, suppose your play stime is limited you have not experinced all of them. Things seem to be added on the fly during the beta process, like the level sync, which was added on this beta.

Please don't compare the diverse FATE system to the simple and flat and dull Rift system.  

Rifts only deal with combat, they only deal with invading forces from another realm, VERY limiting and VERY 2 dimensional.  FATE's have a massive wide variety of things that they consist of and that they require you to do.

FATE's are only like RIFTs in the fact that they are both 'dynamic' though I hesitate to call RIFT's dynamic.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by kaludytk

lol, can't tell if trolling or serious.

The maps I played on were small and virtually forced you to run down valleys and invisible walls.  I couldn't count the number of times when I'd come across a creek or some other obstacle and hit an invisible wall, forcing me to a bridge.  Funneling content by means of restricting paths to the destination is not appealing to me.  I also did not like how they forced you to play in a certain city based on your class.  Basing it on race would make more sense, but still would be irritating.  You should be allowed to choose your starting area or at least offer more than one option per class.

I liked the slower pace of combat in Aion and the greater distinction between classes and abilities and the class structure over-all.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

You know thats whats got me woried. GW 2 got great reviews and everyone loved that game, but 2/3 months later lot of peaple started to dislike that. I'm really hoping that dont happen again with this one. Hope this isn't deja vu.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Dzone

You know thats whats got me woried. GW 2 got great reviews and everyone loved that game, but 2/3 months later lot of peaple started to dislike that. I'm really hoping that dont happen again with this one. Hope this isn't deja vu.

Guild Wars is B2P they never promised content updates or depth of content at the rate or size of a subscription MMO so people who are used to playing MMORPG's don't play it the same as they would a p2p MMO (which is fine they aren't meant to be the same).