Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hate on consoles? I'm on pc but love my bro....listen

MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

Hey,

I've been playing games my entire life. Consoles, pc and eventually pc online. Gotta say the online experience beats all, I just love it. But I also love my dear brother. My brother on the other hand never ever bothered with the internet to much nor the online gaming ofcourse! Sure, he's online once in a while just to buy things online and such but besides that? NOPE, he pretty much hate computers and therefore he's unfortunately not on the internet much.

Let me tell you what he actually do love oh sorry, caps is needed here, he ABSOLUTELY LOVES SKYRIM!!!  He's on ps3....

Now, I've played mmo for years but never ever played with him online. A co-op via tv on a shooter is as close as I can get to it lol;) You get it....

Now I kind of like Skyrim on Ps3 aswell, despite being a more or less.....99% computer player! It's a nice little break from my online-gaming actually. Relaxing infront of the tv and immerse myself slowly into this beautiful world we all know by now....SKYRIM while sitting on the sofa is just nice.

BUT!!!

What if I intend to stay on my mmo that I am playing on PC at the moment but wanna have a nice litte gaming experience with my dear brother online for once on he's belowed Ps3 (going to be ps4!).

What is the big deal?????

The platforms will be seperated

One can still play on a nice computer (like mine and I tell you-Mine is good) and adjust the graphics up to very high!

What the heck is the problem???

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There are a few reasons.

One of them is because a lot of the times when games have been on console and then get ported to PC, there are major UI issues. Even Skyrim's UI is pretty horrible for PC and that's because it was designed for a console. Fortunately, PC users are able to mod it out. And according to what someone linked the other day, they are going to allow for players to mod the ESO UI as well. (To what extent they allow us to do this is a whole other question that needs to be answered).

Another reason people see it as a poor direction is they feel like if you can be effective with a controller then the combat is going to be overly simplistic. I think someone was saying there are 7 hotkeys, attack and block in this game (probably some hold the button bashing as well). Many people are looking at that and wondering if it has enough complexity to keep them interested and are also wondering if it was done in the name of consoles.

People just generally feel like the user experience suffers whenever a game is on both PC and consoles. It's not always true but has been true enough times that people are very skeptical.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Consoles have their place, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing beats the PC for games I'm interested in.  Not to mention that all of my motor reflexes are mouse and keyboard based.  I'm simply not going to mess those up by learning a new set for a console controller.

Then of course there is MickeySofts Xbox One... Talk about overwhelming arrogance.  That console was designed for the whims of Big Content, not for Mickysofts unfortunate customers.  It takes a LOT to make Sony look good by comparison, but the Evil that lurks in Redmond has managed it.

I'll close with a joke thats making the rounds... "In Microsoft America, TV watches you!"... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Some groups will always be sworn nemesis's to one another.

Casual vs Hardcore

PC vs Console

Xbox vs Sony

Group players vs solo players.

Sandbox vs Themepark

Will never end. Then of course there are us gamer's who will play anything as long as its a decent game and have no real affiliation to any of those groups named.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Personally, I never really understood why gamers differentiate. I like video games. It doesn't really matter what system it's running on. If it's fun, I'll play it. I have no preference, and play no favorites between consoles and PC. I believe some games play better on some systems mechanically speaking: MLB on my PS3, but Defiance on my PC, for example.

I'm a gamer. And it's my belief that we should stop categorizing ourselves any further then that. Heck, some on these forums can't even agree on an MMO and resort to calling each others games derogatory names.

Let's all just game in whatever ways pleases us.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I don't hate consoles but I also do not believe that a proper full fledged MM Ocan work on one either.  There are systems and developmental procedures that work best with full control of a PC with Keyboard and Mouse and I whole heartedly believe MMO gaming is one of those.

Another reason why I hate the announcement is for a year now they have stated how the game will come out at the end of 2013, that's still 6 months away, plenty of time to complete the design systems needed but now the team will be split working on multi-platform portability and for the life of the game, this will be an issue.  Delayed patch cycles will be the norm IMO.

Lastly I feel that TESO had the opportunity to do something no one has ever done since WoW or Eve.  That is to continue to grow their market share post Launch.  Every MMO looses players after 30 days but with an amazing IP which consists of millions of potential new gamers to the MMO sphere it could of potentially grown instead of shrink.  Now those fans wanting to get in on MMO's will do so from the Console and due their limited nature, especially the lack of a proper communication tool (the keyboard and chat system) it becomes a boring game.  That's my 2c though and I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

I don't hate consoles but I also do not believe that a proper full fledged MM Ocan work on one either.  There are systems and developmental procedures that work best with full control of a PC with Keyboard and Mouse and I whole heartedly believe MMO gaming is one of those.

Another reason why I hate the announcement is for a year now they have stated how the game will come out at the end of 2013, that's still 6 months away, plenty of time to complete the design systems needed but now the team will be split working on multi-platform portability and for the life of the game, this will be an issue.  Delayed patch cycles will be the norm IMO.

Lastly I feel that TESO had the opportunity to do something no one has ever done since WoW or Eve.  That is to continue to grow their market share post Launch.  Every MMO looses players after 30 days but with an amazing IP which consists of millions of potential new gamers to the MMO sphere it could of potentially grown instead of shrink.  Now those fans wanting to get in on MMO's will do so from the Console and due their limited nature, especially the lack of a proper communication tool (the keyboard and chat system) it becomes a boring game.  That's my 2c though and I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

You are aware that consoles have had keyboard/mouse support since playstation 2 right?

They have usb ports. as long as your controller is charged you can chat and play with keyboard/mouse all you want. Hell ps3 even had a nice nifty little Qwerty keyboard attachment to make typing while playing a lot easier. Anyone who has used a mobile phone with a Qwerty keyboard can type as much as they like in any game.

Also most of these new mmos from videos i have seen(games like The Division and Destiny) will feature voice chat.

Qwerty Keyboard accessory http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Wireless-Keypad-Playstation-3/dp/B001ENPDJA

but any usb keyboard will work on them most likely.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by itbewilly

You are aware that consoles have had keyboard/mouse support since playstation 2 right?

They have usb ports. as long as your controller is charged you can chat and play with keyboard/mouse all you want. Hell ps3 even had a nice nifty little Qwerty keyboard attachment to make typing while playing a lot easier. Anyone who has used a mobile phone with a Qwerty keyboard can type as much as they like in any game.

Also most of these new mmos from videos i have seen(games like The Division and Destiny) will feature voice chat.

Qwerty Keyboard accessory http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Wireless-Keypad-Playstation-3/dp/B001ENPDJA

Your point is moot because the vast majority of console users use controllers, not mouse and keyboard. So the gameplay and it's future developement will be severely handicapped because of controllers.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I personally don't care whether it's for consoles or not. I'll still be playing on PC.

The more fans from Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind that can play ESO, the better, in my opinion.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

Overall the PC is cheaper to run where xbox is concerned. You can do more than what an xbox can and will always have better graphics than any console. With a PC you have more control on your game settings. Until now xbox players were not aware they were being conned and realized... hey I can do this and more on a PC!. So most like my self are sticking to the PC and PS4.

I will in time buy a ps4, few months after release. I don't own a PS3, never have. But after seeing the route Microsoft is going with their product and how they spat in their customer(s) fan base faces... no thanks.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Miklosan

Hey,

I've been playing games my entire life. Consoles, pc and eventually pc online. Gotta say the online experience beats all, I just love it. But I also love my dear brother. My brother on the other hand never ever bothered with the internet to much nor the online gaming ofcourse! Sure, he's online once in a while just to buy things online and such but besides that? NOPE, he pretty much hate computers and therefore he's unfortunately not on the internet much.

Let me tell you what he actually do love oh sorry, caps is needed here, he ABSOLUTELY LOVES SKYRIM!!!  He's on ps3....

Now, I've played mmo for years but never ever played with him online. A co-op via tv on a shooter is as close as I can get to it lol;) You get it....

Now I kind of like Skyrim on Ps3 aswell, despite being a more or less.....99% computer player! It's a nice little break from my online-gaming actually. Relaxing infront of the tv and immerse myself slowly into this beautiful world we all know by now....SKYRIM while sitting on the sofa is just nice.

BUT!!!

What if I intend to stay on my mmo that I am playing on PC at the moment but wanna have a nice litte gaming experience with my dear brother online for once on he's belowed Ps3 (going to be ps4!).

What is the big deal?????

The platforms will be seperated

One can still play on a nice computer (like mine and I tell you-Mine is good) and adjust the graphics up to very high!

What the heck is the problem???

I dont... really see the relation of that with the previous said

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP...no "hate"

Frankly as a consumer of information....I want what I want and nothing more.

I have zero interest in consoles and don't want  information about them in games in my gaming news content.Gaming news sites need to give me what I want...NOTHING MORE...nothing less

I want PC games and if a developer is going to divert resources to other platforms and significantly impact the quality of its PC version..that a significant concern

Or if like ESOL they devote resources to consoles that I think are delaying the production of the PC version of the game...to me...thats a reason to tune that game out...almost completely (are you listening ESOL ? )

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

Your point is moot because the vast majority of console users use controllers, not mouse and keyboard. So the gameplay and it's future developement will be severely handicapped because of controllers.

My point isnt moot. I addressed his statement that without a keyboard you cannot socialize like you can in other mmo's. Clearly console's have had keyboard support for 10 years+. Nice try disproving what i proved tho. On second thought maybe i should have underlined/highlighted the part i was relying to or just quote that area of his post :)

I understand your point. The problem is pc gamers are under the misconception that all mmo's require huge ui's and a ton of abilities. EQOA had a limited UI and was more then playable. DCUO has a UI that works well with controllers. GW2 would easily be playable on a controller for either console. The games have and can succeed on a controller. 

Most people complaining about console mmo';s have no idea what they are talking about. There have only been 3-4 console mmo's. If the game is based off controls of a single player rpg(TESO) or the game is based off action combat and not standing around alt tabbing and hitting 0-9 with a few ctrl's and shifts here and there they have all the need to be good on consoles.

"Edited because i didn't wanna to seem like i was just trolling"

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Well the fact that all major consoles now are trying to be like mini computers, why not just use one. If I slap Playstation sticker on the side of my computer, does it make it a console or a pc?

My years of experience............. pc always beats a console in many ways. Much you can not do with a console even after giving it a 8 core processor, a small hd, and some memory.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Onomas

Well the fact that all major consoles now are trying to be like mini computers, why not just use one. If I slap Playstation sticker on the side of my computer, does it make it a console or a pc?

My years of experience............. pc always beats a console in many ways. Much you can not do with a console even after giving it a 8 core processor, a small hd, and some memory.

And again, we know that pc's have better performance. 

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by granit1024
    Originally posted by Onomas

And again, we know that pc's have better performance. 

Why consoles should just transition over and make a pc line that uses playstation/xbox games instead of charging outrageous amounts of money for something so lacking. That would be a killer market for the millions, if not billions of console fans.

They have better reaction time also, and more. Just not performance in general An 8 core processor in the new consoles is impressive, but not if it isnt complemented with the other things you need.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Just finished ME3 and I had a great gaming experince. And that on a six or something year old machine. Yep, outrageous price. 

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

I never really cared about consoles after my first Nintendo so I have no hate or love towards them in a vacuum.  But after playing the stupendous Morrowind and then the abortion that was Oblivion I just think PC games vs console games should be made completely different.  

Morrowind was a PC game first.  Oblivion was a console game first.  And Oblivion suffered for it. 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

My point isnt moot. I addressed his statement that without a keyboard you cannot socialize like you can in other mmo's. Clearly console's have had keyboard support for 10 years+. Nice try disproving what i proved tho. On second thought maybe i should have underlined/highlighted the part i was relying to or just quote that area of his post :)

I understand your point. The problem is pc gamers are under the misconception that all mmo's require huge ui's and a ton of abilities. EQOA had a limited UI and was more then playable. DCUO has a UI that works well with controllers. GW2 would easily be playable on a controller for either console. The games have and can succeed on a controller. 

Most people complaining about console mmo';s have no idea what they are talking about. There have only been 3-4 console mmo's. If the game is based off controls of a single player rpg(TESO) or the game is based off action combat and not standing around alt tabbing and hitting 0-9 with a few ctrl's and shifts here and there they have all the need to be good on consoles.

you are missing the point of needing the kb+m

its not for chatting in game.

its a more complex and robust set of possibilities while playing

i map all 16 buttons on my mouse... and still use 1-6 on my keys as well as qweasd

no game designed for a console will support that... because I would have a clear advantage over a console controller player.

even fps games have better control and accuracy on KB+M over console versions

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I was trying to work out what the OP was getting at and I think the conclusion was that he was going to play TESO on his PC whilst his brother plays the game on his PS4 ? If I'm correct then i have some bad news for you and your brother. TESO on PC , mac and Xbox one will be on the same server but the PS4 version will have a seperate server for TESO. I heard it from the horses mouth in a gamespot interview at E3.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Now those fans wanting to get in on MMO's will do so from the Console and due their limited nature, especially the lack of a proper communication tool (the keyboard and chat system) it becomes a boring game.  That's my 2c though and I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it.

Since people are confused about what i replying to. This makes no mention of actual game play and this is the statement i was replying to with the keyboard accessory post.

I get it.  A console wont allow gamer's to key bind and macro their way to elite status. Trust me i understand. We aren't talking about the ability to use keyboard/mouse for combat and movement. He specifically brought up communication and chat..

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

First off, if you or anyone is playing Skyrim on a PS3 when there is a computer handy to take into account mods, well then you are playing the game wrong.  Even the little mods make dramatic improvements to Skyrim.  I cannot imagine playing vanilla Skyrim....and I sure cannot imagine playing it on PS3 with the issues that system has with that game.

Bethesda clearly designed Skyrim on a console.  The UI tells you that, plus the inability to remap certain keys on a keyboard will also reinforce that idea.

PCs are better than consoles because the top end PCs are more powerful.  Right now, with the newer consoles coming out the gap is closer, but eight months after the consoles are released will come the next generation of powerful PC hardware.  And in case you did not notice, you cannot upgrade a console.  Two years down the line, those consoles are woefully obsolete.  I am not talking about people with 400$ PCs, I am talking about the large PC market who have medium range systems to ultra high end systems.  We like to upgrade.  We like to get better stuff as time goes on.

When you design a MMO on a console, you have to design to the lowest specification.  And that never can change because the console, by definition, never can change.

And if you have ever played a MMO you know one thing.  They all change.  If a game is good it will last three plus years and the changes come.  They take into account new graphics upgrades.  LOTRO went from DX9, to DX10 to DX11 and it shows in many ways.  Cannot do that on a console.

Also, MMOs that have consoles do no share the same servers with PCs.  Why should PC people get shafted with a subpar design AND not even play on the same servers with console people.  Talk about totally alienating a massive gaming market, especially since the vast majority of MMO players play them on PCs.

You can also add mods, or UI changes.  Is there a MMO out there that does NOT let you change the UI?  If there is one, nobody plays it.  Even SWTOR had to implement UI chang-a-bility.

Try as they like, the game developers cannot get rid of PC systems.  Why?  Because this is America and this is land where it's down right a God given right to have something better than the guy sitting next to you.  There will always be PCs, and they will always be superior to consoles because they represent the American way of doing business.  Competition, change, and the ability to do better than someone else.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by steamtank

you are missing the point of needing the kb+m

its not for chatting in game.

its a more complex and robust set of possibilities while playing

i map all 16 buttons on my mouse... and still use 1-6 on my keys as well as qweasd

no game designed for a console will support that... because I would have a clear advantage over a console controller player.

even fps games have better control and accuracy on KB+M over console versions

Your post would make sense if the newest MMOs still needed 6 hot-bars with 72 abilities like WOW, Rift, etc.. They don't. The Secret World, GW2, Neverwinter, to name just soe recent ones, as well as ESO--right from the first time they talked about their interface several months ago--are not like that.

The modern trend for a couple of years now has been to give you a ton of abilities to choose from but only let you slot 8 or so as active at any given time. Sort of like the way action RPGs like Diablo, Torchlight, etc. have always been. From the first moment they revealed how the ESO UI would work, long before any console announcement, the interface was going to work like this:

1. mouse click: weapon/shield ability

2. mouse hold and release: powered up version of above

3. hot-bar (that auto-hides when not in use:) 7 other abilities/potions of your choosing

4. a modifier to switch to a second set of 7 abilities on the fly

That's it.

Now you may not like this modern trend in MMOs (I happen to like it) but it's happening in MMOs with no console presence also like the other 3 I mentioned above.

Like you, I also use a programmable mouse (Cyborg MMO 7) and I routinely bind up to 14 things on it also. Since I started doing that, I actually find MMOs where those 14 binds + the usual Q, E, R binds are not enough (WOW) are a pain when I actually have to click on a hot-bar ability. I'm lucky in that my mouse makes using all 14 binds quite easy. But that spoils me to the point where I find needing more than 14 a royal PITA.

TSW, GW2, NW and ESO can all easily be controlled with a game controller. Anyone who knows that will naturally wonder about using the KB to chat since that is actually the one and only disadvantage of playing (on a console or PC) with a gamepad. In MMOs I have played on PC where I've had friends using gamepads (all of the above + Tera) they all also prefer to chat in Vent for obvious reasons. Vent usage in MMOs is not just for groups, raids and PVP any longer. Many guilds do most of their casual socializing in Vent also with other channels for groups. I expect voice communication will be pretty well a requirement for any serious console MMO play. It's actually the PC version that needs extra things (the KB) because there are still many old fuddy-duddys who won't use vent at all. It's the PC players who require the old-fashioned legacy KB control.

And if the above isn't enough, Zmax has also said that the XB1, the PS4 and the PC/Mac players will all play in their own separate megaserver - there will be 3 of them. So... sorry OP, you and your brother won't be able to play together unless you're using the same platform.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Also, MMOs that have consoles do no share the same servers with PCs.  Why should PC people get shafted with a subpar design AND not even play on the same servers with console people.  Talk about totally alienating a massive gaming market, especially since the vast majority of MMO players play them on PCs.

PSU was on PS2 and PC on the same server. Also TESO will have PC , Mac and Xbox One on the same server.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

PSU was on PS2 and PC on the same server. Also TESO will have PC , Mac and Xbox One on the same server.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Wrong. Go on over to the official forums and catch-up on news: 3 separate megaservers.

2nd post in thread: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1462937-eso-coming-to-pc-mac-ps4-and-xbox-one/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    IMO, the console is like the kids table at Thanksgiving dinner.  It's not hate but pecking order.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"