Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions of beta phase 3

dred79dred79 Member Posts: 17

This is only for levels 1-8 in Gridiana zone.

I played final fantasy XI and really liked that.

I played Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 and was dispointed a great deal and barely played it. 

So far i am enjoying the game., What i like so far.

Jumping and no more invisible walls! thank god!

lots of teleports around town for getting around better.

Questing is so far pretty straight forward and run of the mill. But at least i don't get lost as easily. 

good item custimization and equipment.

outside the town of Gridiana the area feels much better and more open. In the old 1.0 i hated the forest cause all the paths were so narrow and felt linear. a slight bump meant i could not walk on that ledge. but now i can jump and move around in realm reborn.

Fate system so far seems pretty good. though a lot of times i think its funny to just see 25 enemies appear out of no where. I guess thats why rifts were kinda cool cause at least you would see a rift and all the enemies popping out of it. Right now with FATES the enemies just spawn all around you.

What improvments I would like to see.

Get rid of more invisible walls. Sometimes in buildings there are stairs but you could easily jump over the balcony and skip them but invisible wall prevents me from doing this.

You also see invisible walls on some big rocky hills or sometimes there is a river and it won't let you jump in that river. I hope they remove as many invisible walls as they can. if someone gets pushed off a cliff and dies. oh well. I don't want to push a monster up against an invisible wall. I want to see myself push him off the cliff and fall to his death. :P  Its nice to have those "This is sparta!" moments in a game.

Combat is the old way of tab targeting and standing still mostly. If they can make  it the slightist bit more interactive without too much trouble i hope they do.

Right now combat is still pretty good cause FFXI was really popular because the character and class custimization is consderably better than most MMO's. The chain of combos and working together as a group always made the combat fun cause everyone was paying attention and timing everything just right to beat a tough boss or even a single monster. I think this is what they are going for in FFXIV realm reborn. So i think if they pull that same feeling off it will be a huge success.

So far leveling 1-8 is waaay too easy. I guess thats expected. I never come close to dying. I hope in later levels killing regular monsters one on one is a much closer fight.

I guess they trying to balance the whole downtime thing where in FFXI you would have to sit or rest a lot between fights. I like being able to fight one after the other but don't take away the challenge. I am only level 8 so i hope it kicks up in difficulty soon.

I would like to see the map done better. I still find myself having a hard time finding my way when turning in a quest.. So maybe better map markers. Also when using the town teleports it jwould be nice if the map popped and highleighted where that teleport is. I can't remember where every teleport is by name alone.

Also I know this game does have zones but please try to make them as big as possible. or the very least make one city or town an entire zone. I am not a fan of having Gridiana and Old Gridiana seperated by two different zones. it makes it more difficult to find out where i need to go for a quest.

I have not tried joining a guild or using the free companies yet.. So far i am optomistic about how the game is turning out.

Comments

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Yeah the map is pretty bad.

What class are you playing? As an archer I'm not rooted, I can run around and use abilities at the same time.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Just played a few hours and it has to be said Yoshi made one hell of a mmo......
    Iam impressed with what ive seen so far.

Crafting - Fun
    Leveling - Fun
    Story - Epic
    Animations - cool
    Engine - best ive seen so far period.

Going to level 20 tomorow and report back, but so far iam blown away, as a skeptical mmo player for the last decade i feel very happy with FF ARR v2.0

Good times ahead :)

• dred79dred79 Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Just played a few hours and it has to be said Yoshi made one hell of a mmo......
    Iam impressed with what ive seen so far.

Crafting - Fun
    Leveling - Fun
    Story - Epic
    Animations - cool
    Engine - best ive seen so far period.

Going to level 20 tomorow and report back, but so far iam blown away, as a skeptical mmo player for the last decade i feel very happy with FF ARR v2.0

Good times ahead :)

Yeah i agree i am optomistic about it so far. You are a lot farther than me. I am leveling up a lancer right now.

I can't try crafting untill level 10.

animations are good.

graphics are good. story i never paid much attention from previous final fantasy 1.0. but seems ok.

engine is good i just want more interactivity. its why i hate invisiable walls. but i think they can easily elminate more of that in every patch. we will see. so far most of the invisible walls are gone. so its much better.

Can't wait to try some group content.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

To me Yoshida and Square has done the impossible, I had very little faith this game would make a comeback, but after playing Phase 3, this will be my MMO for the future, its simply amazing what they've managed to make this game into.

Thank you very much for giving me hope in MMO's again.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    It was so hard to hold back information . At times I wanted to just show people video but that would break NDA. All I could say was once you play it you will love it. I am excited for you doubters who have the chance to experience the things I could not say.

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Sounds alot like your traditional MMORPGs, also traditional payment method. Got really sick of traditional MMORPGs so I find it really to find anything appealing in FF XIV : ARR, at least FF XIV 1.0 tried to be unique.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I will give my opinion based on what is all ready public.

Its a beautiful world set in an old-school mmo. 

You have to buy the box and pay a sub.

Its going to be on pc and consoles (that should help sales)

I don't see it as anything ground-breaking or standing above all other mmos.  It has one heck of a lot of money poured into it (including the first version), so it needs to do well I would think. I have little doubt fans will be gushing over it, but I don't see it appealing to the general masses or average console players in great numbers.

My guess is it will go btp or ftp within a year of release (they have a tier pay system all ready). Or sooner if Console players yell to much about paying sub fees.

I have nothing overly negative to say about the game.  If you like that style of mmo, you're enjoy this game.  

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by dred79

Combat is the old way of tab targeting and standing still mostly. If they can make  it the slightist bit more interactive without too much trouble i hope they do.

This is one thing I hope they don't change, I actually prefer the traditional, more slower paced rpg experiences. Lately every game has this strafing, rolling and sprinting while casting and swinging giant weapons, it's a bother to play and I actually find it detracts from the experience for me. 

I really like the slower paced feel and it really makes this game actually more unique than what is offered out there today. Every new game these days are constantly trying to be an action game. The combat fits final fantasy very well.

Funny enough, the slower combat makes this game more unique than the newer mmorpg hybrid action games that come out these days.

• brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71

I only got to play a little and my daughter is still playig it and loving it for her firs full MMO she likes it.

As for me the speed of the game is right on i have no complants about the combat as i am only level 9 it seems to go faster as i level. i am really la i got the CE for this game it will be EPIC i think they have done a great job on the game. ave not been this happy playin a game since i played UO for 10 years...............................................  

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

At first I got so lost trying to find my way with the map. I am really bad with directions in games and out so a map is extremely useful for me. I have it figured out now although I'm sort of stuck in the same 3 areas as of lvl12 (center shroud, eastern shroud, northern shroud).

Either the grind has set in or I am missing some paths to new areas. I'm probably just missing the paths.

Teleport, /return, large and small teleporters, Chocobos and your own increased run speed are all welcome to speed up travelling.

Combat I like so far as a Conjurer and just started crafting Leather. You can tell it will take forever to get all classes but that's a welcome challenge.

My plan is to get inside a dungeon before the weekend is over, I really want to see what they are like :)

I will be buying the 180 day subscription for sure.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I don't see it as anything ground-breaking or standing above all other mmos.  It has one heck of a lot of money poured into it (including the first version), so it needs to do well I would think. I have little doubt fans will be gushing over it, but I don't see it appealing to the general masses or average console players in great numbers.

My guess is it will go btp or ftp within a year of release (they have a tier pay system all ready). Or sooner if Console players yell to much about paying sub fees.

I have nothing overly negative to say about the game.  If you like that style of mmo, you're enjoy this game.  

If FFXI never went f2p then I dont see this one going f2p......Unless they feel they can make more that way there is no way they are taking that gamble....They need for this title to be a home run profit wise.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    All I can say, between EQ2 and FFXIV ARR, I don t even care whats coming out in the future, I think it s that good.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

My plan is to get inside a dungeon before the weekend is over, I really want to see what they are like :)

beta 3 is only this weekend? they dont dare to do that.......... i got 1 day wasted aleready waiting for a code. THey havent sent me a pc code, and the code i got for ps3 was only to download the client (not to play) so i cant play that either...........

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I dont even care about wildstar anymore now, this games quality in gameplay, graphics, and animations are like a AAA single player game with all the mmo features.  This is it for me til The Division and Destiny.  And playing with a gamepad is so relaxing and fun and it makes me feel like im playing a final fantasy game.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by tkreep
    I dont even care about wildstar anymore now, this games quality in gameplay, graphics, and animations are like a AAA single player game with all the mmo features.  This is it for me til The Division and Destiny.  And playing with a gamepad is so relaxing and fun and it makes me feel like im playing a final fantasy game.

I hear ya, I can t wait for those other 2 as well. Damn they look good.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

so far the game has been decent at best.  I hate sitting thru tons and tons of cutscenes and pauses for every single quest, also not being able to skip the intro movie is ultra-annoying too.

I know I am in the minority, but hated the stories in SWTor as well, I just wanna play the game, not read a novel or watch their cheesy movies

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    The combat is turn based but you can move around also certain classes get bonuses for side and rear attacks.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

so far the game has been decent at best.  I hate sitting thru tons and tons of cutscenes and pauses for every single quest, also not being able to skip the intro movie is ultra-annoying too.I know I am in the minority, but hated the stories in SWTor as well, I just wanna play the game, not read a novel or watch their cheesy movies 

Never played a Final Fantasy game before??

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

so far the game has been decent at best.  I hate sitting thru tons and tons of cutscenes and pauses for every single quest, also not being able to skip the intro movie is ultra-annoying too.

I know I am in the minority, but hated the stories in SWTor as well, I just wanna play the game, not read a novel or watch their cheesy movies

Then you must also hate playing The Secret World.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

If FFXI never went f2p then I dont see this one going f2p......Unless they feel they can make more that way there is no way they are taking that gamble....They need for this title to be a home run profit wise.

Reborn has a LOT more money in development than FFXI.  Look at ToR.  It needed X amount of subs. It sold a LOT of boxes, but it was unable to hold onto enough of its subs so it had to find a different way to make money.  This is the Age of FTP.  The risk is releasing a sub game.

Will a lot of people buy the box? Adding in consoles, yes.  How many people will they retain as the months go on?  I doubt enough to fill in the massive money pit they have.  Keep in mind,  they made a game and it failed.  They went back and redid it (much more than what SWG did).  I can't imagine the cash that's gone into this project.

Subs are an over time type of income generator. In today's market with so many choices that have little to no entry barrier and with so many more continuing to flood the market the average player is sampler not a stayer.

FF is betting the bank that they can not only get a lot of people to buy the box, but that most of those people will stay on long term.  Its not going to happen. 

The good news is. This shouldn't effect any of you.  You like the game. You are willing to sub. Even if it goes ftp. I'm sure it will have a sub option, so I don't see a down side.

Originally posted by Mannish

not really, I find the stories in TSW to be more compelling, maybe I like the darker stuff, rather then rainbows and unicorns

and the key being (I have the option to skip if I want)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Mannish

not really, I find the stories in TSW to be more compelling, maybe I like the darker stuff, rather then rainbows and unicorns

and the key being (I have the option to skip if I want)

Yeah, they should let you skip the into. But they do let you skip any cutscene after that if you press esc.

its growing on me, how many crafts can I have?

• PolyMaconPolyMacon Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by Myrdynn its growing on me, how many crafts can I have?

All of them.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    As somebody who thoroughly liked version 1.0 (yeah, I know...), I really had low expectations for 2.0 as i didn't want to see too much change. Well, after playing all night I can say that I am really, really impressed. They kept what I loved about 1.0 and changed what I did not like, and added what I felt should be added. So far, I am deeply impressed. 
This discussion has been closed.