Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift got huge

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I must be lucky, because I've never had a queue yet.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Well, they have just screwed their player base somewhat...  Icewatch was the most populous EU server and probably had the highest concentration of long time players and subscribers (patrons). It has just now been closed down.

No notice was given, well, one hour. It was done at night, 1am, when most players were in bed.
    No choice was given about whether to transfer to a new server, it was forced for everyone.
    Many players, including paying subscribers (patrons) are still locked to icewatch and cant move due to ingame locks despite being told they have to. This hasn't even been addressed on the forum yet, let alone fixed.
    Many guilds are disintegrating, players thinking they have to leave to complete the move.
    Many players are losing their usernames, as already taken on new servers.
    Many raiding friends are being lost.
    People are upset, and being banned on their forum, threads being deleted etc.

This a turn for the worse, a total lack of respect for the player base. It's very sad.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It completely depends on the time of day. In Europe there are large queues during peak hours, in the US there are large queues during the peak hours. Currently only one US server has a queue the rest are all high population. Every free to play game falls off the queue train in a couple weeks but currently yes it is doing really well for a recent free to play launch. It is a very fun game and yes it will have it's pros and cons.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by greene75
    Even as patron cant get in this game with less than 30 minutes que time . . . they going to need a bigger boat . . . . 

Yeah, I'm going to be subbing solely to get in to the damn game quickly lol. 2 hr waits aren't how I roll. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by yucklawyers
    Well, they have just screwed their player base somewhat...  Icewatch was the most populous EU server and probably had the highest concentration of long time players and subscribers (patrons). It has just now been closed down.

No notice was given, well, one hour. It was done at night, 1am, when most players were in bed.
    No choice was given about whether to transfer to a new server, it was forced for everyone.
    Many players, including paying subscribers (patrons) are still locked to icewatch and cant move due to ingame locks despite being told they have to. This hasn't even been addressed on the forum yet, let alone fixed.
    Many guilds are disintegrating, players thinking they have to leave to complete the move.

This a turn for the worse, a total lack of respect for the player base. It's very sad.

Why the hell have they closed Ice Watch...

Turning the EU's main bloody server for years into a trial server is beyond a joke.

I was pretty damn happy about this whole ftp conversion. Now I'm just completely pissed off. I've never seen a dev team do something so dumb in my life. Rendering an established game community and economy like Ice Watch completely useless. Thankfully I got to keep all my names but my god, if I lost the names I'd had for 2 years because of this I'd have walked and never looked back.. would have been the final straw.

I can't believe they just put the game up on a pedestal and then smashed that pedestal to bits for the long standing EU customers.

All I'm seeing now is.. fuck all those EU patrons on Ice Watch. They already have everything and won't buy stuff from the store. Lets do whatever we want with their server. We can't be arsed to upgrade that server infrastructure, it'd be easier (Cheaper) to just make a new server instead of upgrading Ice Watch and making a new trail server... even though there's no bloody trial anymore!

I'm finding it hard to see it any other way....

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Vannor

Turning the EU's main bloody server for years into a trial server is beyond a joke.

I was pretty damn happy about this whole ftp conversion. Now I'm just completely pissed off. I've never seen a dev team do something so dumb in my life. Rendering an established game community and economy like Ice Watch completely useless. Thankfully I got to keep all my names but my god, if I lost the names I'd had for 2 years because of this I'd have walked and never looked back.. would have been the final straw.

I can't believe they just put the game up on a pedestal and then smashed that pedestal to bits for the long standing EU customers.

All I'm seeing now is.. fuck all those EU patrons on Ice Watch. They already have everything and won't buy stuff from the store. Lets do whatever we want with their server. We can't be arsed to upgrade that server infrastructure, it'd be easier (Cheaper) to just make a new server instead of upgrading Ice Watch and making a new trail server... even though there's no bloody trial anymore!

Because they needed to close it for whatever reason they deemed valid.  Move to another server or another game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• greene75greene75 Member Posts: 39
    They added a new pvp shard and new pve shard, plus split up into two clusters.  Their timing was perfect and they are currently doing everything right to handle the swell in population.  
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    Originally posted by trash656

If their design had been more open world than "follow-the-quest-hub", I think they would have unseated WOW some time ago. For now, I predict they will do well with FTP until the AAA sandboxes come out.

Anyway, good to see games evolving and getting away from the WOW clone model.

Your either delusional or blind, because Rift follows the same formula that Warhammer online and WoW do. Most themeparks do.

This:

Start Area ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub --->...etc....

has little replay value.  Even WOW is hurting, and poor Warhammer crashed out the gate.  Perhaps you are the one who is not seeing.

You can have a free range themepark without the rails.  Has been done and very successfully.

I've never played a themepark that was nothing but quest hubs. There's usually PVP, crafting, gathering, mini-games, dungeons, public events etc. 

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    The game has never been a juggernaut,yet this transition probably puts the game behind only WoW,Gw2 and Swtor in the west.I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    They added a new pvp shard and new pve shard, plus split up into two clusters.  Their timing was perfect and they are currently doing everything right to handle the swell in population.  

They did it right on the NA side.  What they did to EU is astonishingly idiotic and disgraceful.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

They did it right on the NA side.  What they did to EU is astonishingly idiotic and disgraceful.

Probably just waiting to see how the EU servers play out over the weekend.If there is queues and big wait time's I would hope they add server's to EU also.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Slappy1

Probably just waiting to see how the EU servers play out over the weekend.If there is queues and big wait time's I would hope they add server's to EU also.

they basically took the most populated server in the EU and kicked everyone off it

Originally posted by Slappy1

they basically took the most populated server in the EU and kicked everyone off it

Damn,what happened?Only thing I heard about was tidbits about Icewatch.I heard nothing of what you're saying,what the heck happened?

Arya Stark

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

If their design had been more open world than "follow-the-quest-hub", I think they would have unseated WOW some time ago. For now, I predict they will do well with FTP until the AAA sandboxes come out.

no game is remotely close to unseating WoW.  the only sandbox that has a chance to get within 20% of WoWs subs hasnt even been officially revealed.  it must suck to be a wow basher because you are in for many long years of disappointment.

Not to hype EQN, but as a f2p game if they do it right it has a shot at attracting millions.  I don't count wows asian playerbase sorry but they mean nothing in the numbers blizzard makes pennies off them because they do not run the game in china.

NA/EU wise any of the new games coming out could unseat them.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    The turned Icewatch into a trial shard because they divided the EU and NA clusters into two.  At the same time they added new servers to both.  In a nutshell, the clusters as they were set up originally affected all shards because they looked at populations in total, not across specific shards.  The new setup is supposed to rectify that for everyone's playing enjoyment.  Anyone in a trial shard just is limited to the main city until they transfer to a new server.  Not the end of the world post as it was made out to be.
    Originally posted by William12

no game is remotely close to unseating WoW.  the only sandbox that has a chance to get within 20% of WoWs subs hasnt even been officially revealed.  it must suck to be a wow basher because you are in for many long years of disappointment.

Not to hype EQN, but as a f2p game if they do it right it has a shot at attracting millions.  I don't count wows asian playerbase sorry but they mean nothing in the numbers blizzard makes pennies off them because they do not run the game in china.

NA/EU wise any of the new games coming out could unseat them.

you are still talking about 3 million or so NA/EU subs though

Im not convinced EQN (obviously the game i was alluding too) can draw much more than 1 mill, if that.  I dont think the sandbox market is as big as people think it is.  It can certainly support a few games, especially if they avoid PvP-centric gameplay, but I just dont think the market is anywhere near as big as the market for non-sandbox play.

The themepark market is saturated though, and i think the best chance at a hit is a game that belongs to neither subgenre, kind of like EQ and DAoC back in the day.  Or a hybrid game like ArcheAge (if AA wasnt korean and PvP based)

As for WoW, i think the rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated.  They have a very easy opportunity to regain lost subs. My prediction:  they announce their next expansion before Blizzcon, its out either late this year or early next, and its burning legion based.  this will grab people's attentions fast.  I have a feeling that most of that 70% from Titan team went to work on expansion 5.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Anthur

They have chosen a good time for going F2P. There is really no major MMO release in the near future. Many people are probably in a kind of MMO idle state. ;) Question is, can they keep those new customers. At least some.

EQ Next probably within a year, and maybe late this year.  Arche Age?  Same time frame maybe.  I think even WOW will be toppled by these releases.

YOu know, I'm waiting for EQ Next as well and hopefully it is good, but you really are being ridiculous assuming that unless it is a Sandbox style game, it can't be successful when in most cases the opposite has been true. Also, I would reign in on your hype for something that has released basically zero info of worth.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by pmiles
    The turned Icewatch into a trial shard because they divided the EU and NA clusters into two.  At the same time they added new servers to both.  In a nutshell, the clusters as they were set up originally affected all shards because they looked at populations in total, not across specific shards.  The new setup is supposed to rectify that for everyone's playing enjoyment.  Anyone in a trial shard just is limited to the main city until they transfer to a new server.  Not the end of the world post as it was made out to be.

I play in the NA, but if I logged on to my server in any gae and found it effectively closed without notice and having to try to get as many of my friends (and guild) together on the same server as I could (not to mention possible losing names and such) i would be pretty pissed

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

Are we playing the same game? xD

I've been doing Adventures and PvP. The last quest I touched was the starting area. Well, from 1-48 anyways... I did a couple quests in Storm Legion area to go from 48-50. 

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

I played Rift awhile back, got to max level, did a few raids, etc.  It was a quality game.  But at the end of the day, my thought was, if I wanted to play a game just like WoW with a different skin, no real reason not to just play WoW instead.

At least now there is a difference, since WoW is p2p and Rift is f2p. 

Oh there's a reason all right. WoW  has shitty outdated graphics and hasn't been a persistent world in a very long time. Rift puts WOW to shame in almost every way.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Wrender

I played Rift awhile back, got to max level, did a few raids, etc.  It was a quality game.  But at the end of the day, my thought was, if I wanted to play a game just like WoW with a different skin, no real reason not to just play WoW instead.

Oh there's a reason all right. WoW  has shitty outdated graphics and hasn't been a persistent world in a very long time. Rift puts WOW to shame in almost every way.

agree 100%

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by trash656

Your either delusional or blind, because Rift follows the same formula that Warhammer online and WoW do. Most themeparks do.

This:

Start Area ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub ---> Quest Hub --->...etc....

has little replay value.  Even WOW is hurting, and poor Warhammer crashed out the gate.  Perhaps you are the one who is not seeing.

You can have a free range themepark without the rails.  Has been done and very successfully.

Or you could ignore the quest's and go close Rift's until you are high enough to run instances?

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Wrender

its more than this. in wow, at least the last years, it always feels like a single player game. you never do things with other ppl in the open world. RIFT gives you the feeling that you always play with others. it feels more like an mmo than any other in the market imo

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Vannor

Because they needed to close it for whatever reason they deemed valid.  Move to another server or another game.

I have, I still don't like it though so what's your point?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Rift forums are quite busy as well.