Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the difference between the Lattice system and the Hex influence system?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Seeing this argument between the two designs coming up. Well can somebody explain what their differences are?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31

The lattice system places battle lanes between specific bases which directs the flow of battle. Not all adjacent bases are eligible to be captured as they must have a link or lattice connecting them.

The hex system allows the capture of any base adjacent to other hexes controlled by your faction.

The common complaint with the lattice is it forces a zerg like behavior and has leaves little room for strategic play or small squad roles.

The hex system on the other hand is thought to be more open to strategy and allows small squad the opportunity to avoid the larger fights by capping bases that are largely empty of enemy forces.

I see pluses and minuses to both systems currently, although I think with further additions to the lattice system it should provided for both styles of play. 

Either way, the epic battles in Planetside 2 are a blast. I was never much of a shooter fan, but this game keeps me coming back for more, at least 3 or 4 sessions a week.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

rough history

Hex system:  

Hex system was originally set up where all 3 factions could potentially capture any of the part of the territory at any time, the hexes on the map represent specific territories and its border. some hexes are bigger than others and so on.

Pros: offered limitless freedom to stage your attack at any direction

gave small outfits incentive and tactic to help capture territories that could potentially cut off resource supplying against their  opposing faction(s)

Cons: fostered a ill mannered player mentality to avoid legitimate fights go cap empty territories for easy xp

Made staging defense areas pointless for any squad/outfit to attempt to defend a certain portion of land against enemy threats. where the enemy can simply go around and hop scotch multiple areas constantly until caught and killed, only for it to start all over again.

Complaint: Despite having a stronger element of freedom and where to attack, the community pointed out that large scale fights were too few. additionally, defending became more of a burden than a help, with no reward when successfully defending a area, where as one person or a small group can jump to one part of territory start the hack and continue to the next.  with multiple groups, squads outfits doing this on a regular basis, the hex system suffered due to lack battles, and a abundance of flight over fight thinking among the players.

Lattice System: 

Lattice system was originated from the First Planetside game, veteran spoke of this as the "tried and true" method of the IP. the set up was capturing bases and territory by following along passage ways (or lines) that are connected to one another. this funneled the factions to predetermined areas, giving them a number of options of where to attack as well as where to defend and hold the line against the their enemies.

Pros:  promotes Large scale battles with minimum down time in between (excluding if population is too low or lopsided between factions)

Gave the option of setting up defensive front lines at certain staging areas of the map to prevent the enemy from further advancing on their territory

Cons: compared to Hex system,  lattice limits the freedom of staging your attack,  instead of hoping on a hex and going to work, the faction has to depend on the lattice lines and choose between  2 to 4 paths on where to advance their attacks

Lattice system in its current form,  hand cuffs  small outfits and groups, forcing them to fight closer with the zerg, even in their best efforts to fight along the outskirts of the main battle, they are still at the mercy of following both the path ways and the zerg itself, due to where the battle flow is going.

Complaint: The Lattice system while promoting big fights right out of the gate, loses its flexibility in fighting outside of the predictable lines and passage ways.  additionally,  the Lattice System in its current form is bare bones, and missing many additional features that made it shine in planetside 1

(gen blowing tactics, ANT nanite deliveries, LLU Runs)  - these were there not only for big outfits but esspecially for smaller outfits and groups that wanted to make a difference in the battle with out being tied down by the Zerg war itself.

Theres alot more to it but this is the jist of the topic.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

As someone coming back after a long break I appreciate this info as well Beanpie.

thanks

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

As someone coming back after a long break I appreciate this info as well Beanpie.

thanks

no problem glad to help