Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pronunciation of ArcheAge

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I see this is not one of ours every day topics and I'm glad I see it!

So...

I know it should be pronounced as arkee (ish)...

But I do not like how that sounds, so I just pronounce it as: ARKAGE 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

For a serious answer,unlike my last post,it probably should be pronounced Ark-ee-age but english is full of exceptions to every rule.Which is why it's a hard language for outsiders to learn compared to other languages.

However I believe most peopel will pronounce it Ark-age because it rolls off the tongue better and common consensus will rule out in the end.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Originally posted by tom_gore

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced: "Sandbox Messiah"

Sandpark :p

No such thing

I did not coin the term anyways image As the game nears launch, we'll see the term come up more often.

The game is a hybrid, as stated by XL Games and Jake Song himself. 

Paraphrasing: The sandbox elements are not entirely dominant.

Originally posted by korent1991

I see this is not one of ours every day topics and I'm glad I see it!

I'm glad you liked it! I was expecting more negative comments but all in all, aside from a couple, it was very polite and we have something better to go by now. I shall be changing the OP to reflect it.

So...

I know it should be pronounced as arkee (ish)...

But I do not like how that sounds, so I just pronounce it as: ARKAGE (without the gayish EE's).

Good comment.

Could've done without the last bit. Even though gays are less gender role compliant, it does not mean we are all effeminate. image Just a little nitpick. You might not be fully aware how certain words come across to someone else.

Originally posted by Drakynn

For a serious answer,unlike my last post,it probably should be pronounced Ark-ee-age but english is full of exceptions to every rule.Which is why it's a hard language for outsiders to learn compared to other languages.

However I believe most peopel will pronounce it Ark-age because it rolls off the tongue better and common consensus will rule out in the end.

I think this is what it'll boil down to. Not because it's right, but because it rolls better off the tongue and consensus does dictate a lot in our society (e.g. 'ark-type' pronunciation being accepted).

Like I stated earlier,  I'll change the OP to reflect it.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Good comment.

Could've done without the last bit. Even though gays are less gender role compliant, it does not mean we are all effeminate. image Just a little nitpick. You might not be fully aware how certain words come across to someone else.

yea, wasn't really aware of it when I typed it :D 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• edenzeroedenzero Member Posts: 16
    i pronounce it like google translator does, lol
  • UnseelieCourUnseelieCour Member CommonPosts: 46

I agree with the OP, despite what the devs may have posted in a forum somewhere. I'm not saying I disagree with what the devs may have written, I've just been listening to them pronounce it in videos and they definitely no not pronounce it "ark-age". They don't pronounce it "ar-ke-age" either, which they should be if they are spelling it Archeage (OP is 100% correct on that).

What I hear is "ar-kage". I think it is a localisation issue and it should have been written Archaege, with the "e" after the "a". That, to me, would suggest a pronunciation closest to what the devs say.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by LlexX
    We had a debate about this already on another forum, firstly we thought it should be pronounced as arch+age, then an official response came, that it should be pronounced as ark+age, like if you would say dARK+AGE without the "d" letter.

This is accurate, the OP is mistaken.

In response to that I later wrote:

thus we have the pronounciation 'ark' followed by the proper pronounciation of the word 'age', giving us archeage.

I don't agree that this is correct. It's not consistent with the other words that also contain arche+(rest of the word) like archetype, archaeology/archeology, archespore.

I'm not sure how you pronounce those words, but I'm positive you pronounce them incorrectly.

This is a new low in gamer arrogance, even for this crowd.

Dev: "This is how we pronounce the name of our game."

MMORPG.com poster: "You're wrong."

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Novic2Novic2 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    ITT: Grammar nazi circlejerk
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Dev: "This is how we pronounce the name of our game."

MMORPG.com poster: "You're wrong."

It's clearly Ar- Cheage.  :sagenod:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I just call it AA (Ay-Ay).  Easy peasy.
  • flyingltjflyingltj Member Posts: 4

The literal translation of the game's name in Korean is "Age of Architecture"

ArcheAge pronounced as if you were combining the words "Architecture" and "Age" is the correct pronunciation.

Wooooooooooooooooo

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    does it really matter? i like how arch-age sounds so i dont really care if its ark-age. As long as it is written correctly i dont give a fat rats ass how its pronounced :D

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    arch-age sounds gay.  ark-age is better...ark-age is the answer.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

"Ar-gie-Aaahhje"

that's it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced: "Sandbox Messiah"

This ^

Although I hope swim trunks won't make it  the Western version...............

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by Deleted User
    We had a debate about this already on another forum, firstly we thought it should be pronounced as arch+age, then an official response came, that it should be pronounced as ark+age, like if you would say dARK+AGE without the "d" letter.

Well...I still think they're wrong but I'll concede...it's their game after all. 

Do you remember on which forums the official response was posted?

so shamed about something so trivial he deleted his account

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

Well...I still think they're wrong but I'll concede...it's their game after all. 

I deleted my account in a moment of pure anger with the moderation on these forums. Totally unrelated to the topic here...and if you read the OP I said there

"Jake Song has stated that it is pronounced Ark-Age.

Pronouncing ArcheAge with the Arche as in 'march' is not correct."

The OP was edited on 12/31/12 at 11:48:01 AM. The post you quoted was very early on in the thread when the discussion was going on...12/28/12 6:08:28 PM.

Nothing to see here, folks.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Herzy
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

I deleted my account in a moment of pure anger with the moderation on these forums. Totally unrelated to the topic here...and if you read the OP I said there

"Jake Song has stated that it is pronounced Ark-Age.

Pronouncing ArcheAge with the Arche as in 'march' is not correct."

The OP was edited on 12/31/12 at 11:48:01 AM. The post you quoted was very early on in the thread when the discussion was going on...12/28/12 6:08:28 PM.

Nothing to see here, folks.

My advice is to pronounce it every way you like.

Why is this topic sticky?

It takes one to know one.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    If it's not pronounced how I want it to be pronounced, I'm not going to play it.
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Crusades
    If it's not pronounced how I want it to be pronounced, I'm not going to play it.

I can imagine that. In contrast, if it is pronounced the way I think it is, I don't want to play it anymore. :)

It takes one to know one.

• OrgoneOrgone Member Posts: 90

Latest reports from Trion is that they are calling it 'The Emperors New Clothes'

(at least when it gets translated from Korean for 1.2 that is)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Amazing we can get 8 pages, and counting,  in a thread about a game's name pronunciation.  :)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Amazing we can get 8 pages, and counting,  in a thread about a game's name pronunciation.  :)

It is, according to the game's Producer at Trion, ARK-Age

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

GarbeAge

/kidding