Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Hype Numbers Need a Reset?

CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Hey, I'm a fan of EQ and I'll definitely be all over EQ Next, but I did find it interesting how the top 5 games were listed at, meh, 8.0-8.3 for quite a while (like months).

Then all of a sudden last week (or a couple weeks ago) EQ Next is all of a sudden up at 8.95 and everything else has been degraded to 7.3ish. Since these are not related to each other in any way and are based solely on the hype for each individual game, I've gotta call bullshit. Wipe the slate on it. 

Anyone else notice the same thing? 

Could be a coding error. Maybe someone made a mistake like if (game == EQNext) { hype =+ 1 } else { hype =-1 }

:)

Crazkanuk

----------------
Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
----------------

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

no kidding

very suspicious

practically overnight not only did EQ Next jump to first place - for no apparent genuine hype, considering there is absolutely nothing to go on - but also the hype number is ridiculously high and quite a leap above the next  in line

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

it needs a DR mechanic to the hype system.

Or make a system that has multiple questionnaire that use combo of answers to determine a hype level from community members.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Other than show who's fans need more productive things to do during the day what does the hype meter show ? Are you a fan of a game because of that number or does it help you decide what to play ?
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Other than show who's fans need more productive things to do during the day what does the hype meter show ? Are you a fan of a game because of that number or does it help you decide what to play ?

Super fans will always be highly interested in such things.

But yes, those numbers mean absolutely nothing at all. They mean even less because they are so easy to game. People really shouldn't spend so much time worrying about any of the hype/ranking/viewed numbers on this site.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

But yes, those numbers mean absolutely nothing at all. They mean even less because they are so easy to game. People really shouldn't spend so much time worrying about any of the hype/ranking/viewed numbers on this site.

I'd think super fans would be the ones to care the least about such a clearly arbitrary and meaningless number.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Why is it SUDDENLY a problem? This happens whenever a new game comes out with a lot of interest...that's why its called hype.

If I am hyped about, say wildstar the most, and perhaps hyped about Archeage also..then suddenly find a ton of information about a brand new game that greatly surpasses them, it only makes sense for those two games to drop on my hype level and the other to take its place.

Just like TESO shot up when its announcement came out, and every single time new info about it came out that it dropped due to the derp involved, it only makes sense that EQN should be so high.

Now factor in just HOW MANY people here are looking forward to it, it should be much higher than the rest. BTW, I did NOT like EQ1 or EQ2 very much so EQN is not really high on my list, in fact Black Desert would be at the top of mine, so don't think im some fanboy just saying this for EQN.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I'd think super fans would be the ones to care the least about such a clearly arbitrary and meaningless number.

Super fans care greatly about how "their" game is represented. As such they always care about the meaningless numbers just as much as they feel the need to go out and argue with someone who made a non-positive post about that game.

They're also the ones who spend their time gaming the system to hype up/rank up their game and derank/dehype competition.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Why is it SUDDENLY a problem? This happens whenever a new game comes out with a lot of interest...that's why its called hype.

I never said it's a problem, I could honestly care less. It's simply an observation. If you're frequenting the site, and you obviously are, I'm surprised you'd say this happens with every game because it's like night and day. I just threw it out there since this is obviously a concern for MMORPG since they have a policy to deal with it. Whether or not it actually gets dealt with, who knows, but I'm watching you ! It's always the one's who say they don't care...... 

Anyway, just saying, it's like if you put up a sign that says "Shoplifters will be prosecuted" and then don't actually do anything when someone steals from your shop.

You know who else this would bug? Rainman, that's who! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Did you know that if you bookmark into the forum index directly, you'll never even see meters?

I suggest this only as a possible option for those prone to upsetting themselves. The topic does come up again at least a dozen times a year.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Forget that hype nonsense. The problem is that the site defaults to that tab. Still not scientific but a bit more realistic is to look at the next tab over, "most popular games" that is just a simple click counter. Look at the 1 week, 1 month, etc. subcategories to just get a feel for what is generating interest. Not as easy to manipulate with a campaign as "top voted game" aka, hype...

EQ Next is #7 in the 1 month view of the click counter.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED