Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pure unadulterated gameplay footage from E3

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Actionbar...quests....ridiculously slow combat....WoW UI...was there anything I was supposed to be impressed with from this video?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I'm not too worried. He grabbed the soldier path which to me seemed like it was already going to be more of the same since it has a focus on killing, aka kill quests.  I am interested to see what the settler path actually entails because that is one of the more unique ways of leveling that they were supposed to introduce

Sadly, you're going to be disappointed.... it's almost the exact same, though there's differences... can't really speak on it, will have to wait until open beta to try it out :) 

To clarify, there's no unique way of leveling in wildstar. It's all quest hub after quest hub, and very linear. 

INSIDE those zones will be different based on what path you chose but it makes very little difference to how a character will level.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Stayonboard

I'm not too worried. He grabbed the soldier path which to me seemed like it was already going to be more of the same since it has a focus on killing, aka kill quests.  I am interested to see what the settler path actually entails because that is one of the more unique ways of leveling that they were supposed to introduce

Sadly, you're going to be disappointed.... it's almost the exact same, though there's differences... can't really speak on it, will have to wait until open beta to try it out :) 

To clarify, there's no unique way of leveling in wildstar. It's all quest hub after quest hub, and very linear. 

INSIDE those zones will be different based on what path you chose but it makes very little difference to how a character will level.

If what you say is true, this game is now completely off my radar. I'm done with mind numbing linear quest hubs. I dont mind kill quests as much as you forcing me down a quest hub corridor.

I thought the devs where throwing around the sandpark word previously? What happened?
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Mardukk

If what you say is true, this game is now completely off my radar. I'm done with mind numbing linear quest hubs. I dont mind kill quests as much as you forcing me down a quest hub corridor. I thought the devs where throwing around the sandpark word previously? What happened?

This games gonna tank hard.  They said quest hubs and raids a while ago and at that point I knew the game was going downhill.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by ipeka

No commentary , no interview with any devs in the background , just a pure simple gameplay of wildstar . For me this is one of the thing i'm looking before getting any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJafXSmHv-o

I really wish people would get their heads out of WoW's ass.  If you really look at the way combat flows and works in this game it is much more appropriate to say that combat in Wildstar most closely matches the combat system in The Secret World, more than it does WoW.  If I remember rightly that was one area that SW got bagged on pretty hard at launch, and this game is no better or different.  In fact, it's probably worse because at least in TSW you can have more than one weapon type.  In Wildstar you get 1 weapon type which is just laughably bad.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

I think the years have trained us all to approach MMOs as the same old theme park ride, but the reality is the developers are providing us with tools and we use these tools to shape our own experiences.  You aren't on rails.  You choose your path, your purpose.  If you choose to dive in looking for quest hubs, you will find quest hubs.

I believe this game will turn out a lot like GW2.  The closed minded will find little enjoyment in their experience and will be left scratching their heads, wondering what it is that keeps others playing.

Originally posted by Mardukk

If what you say is true, this game is now completely off my radar. I'm done with mind numbing linear quest hubs. I dont mind kill quests as much as you forcing me down a quest hub corridor. I thought the devs where throwing around the sandpark word previously? What happened?

He speaks truth.  What remains to be seen is if there will be leveling strictly through pvp in order to skip the hub hopping questing.  Either way I don't consider that a sandbox feature.  /shrug 

Originally posted by Dagon13

I think the years have trained us all to approach MMOs as the same old theme park ride, but the reality is the developers are providing us with tools and we use these tools to shape our own experiences.  You aren't on rails.  You choose your path, your purpose.  If you choose to dive in looking for quest hubs, you will find quest hubs.

I believe this game will turn out a lot like GW2.  The closed minded will find little enjoyment in their experience and will be left scratching their heads, wondering what it is that keeps others playing.

You really need to do some research on this title and what feature set they're talking about before comparing this game to Guild Wars 2.  It won't even be apples to apples.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If people like this type of game, I would think you would rather play WoW.  At least it has been out for years and is polished and at this point has lots of content.  
  • jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Pretty dull actually. Another failboat in the making. Some devs just never learn.

The mass majority of the higher up devs for carbine studios are from vanilla wow/TBC. The only thing they have to learn from is the tyrant of an MMO they created. It's what they are familiar and good at if youre into WoW. Things will be familiar when 17 of WoWs devs are working on the game.

Unrelated, these videos don't do this game justice at all. Wildstar is basically WoW 2.0 just done proper. If you enjoy wow or enjoyed wow at some point this game is for you. If you never liked wow or have no interest in a linear quest hub/progression raiding game this game is very much not for you.

PS. The combat is much much better then what this guy is playing, this is for sure an older build and this guys seems to be just goofing around. I cannot stand questing but I enjoyed the combat flow enough it didn't bother me at all.

Originally posted by jp4lyfe
    Pretty dull actually. Another failboat in the making. Some devs just never learn.

The mass majority of the higher up devs for carbine studios are from vanilla wow/TBC. The only thing they have to learn from is the tyrant of an MMO they created. It's what they are familiar and good at if youre into WoW. Things will be familiar when 17 of WoWs devs are working on the game.

Unrelated, these videos don't do this game justice at all. Wildstar is basically WoW 2.0 just done proper. If you enjoy wow or enjoyed wow at some point this game is for you. If you never liked wow or have no interest in a linear quest hub/progression raiding game this game is very much not for you.

"Done proper" is very subjective.

Otherwise I agree with everything you wrote.

• jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165

"Done proper" is very subjective.

Otherwise I agree with everything you wrote.

Correct, from my personal experience i should say.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by IceAge

I think you guys are missing the fact that the one playing in the videos, he's just....questing, and nothing more. There are a lot of other things to do in WildStar. 

Just saying :)

ya but thats what your gonna be doing at least 50% of the game is questing like most mmos, the paths are just a more specific form of questing.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Why cant devs expand and be creative and go beyond the hotbar system and aim for a style of gameplay that doesnt require so many different interfaces on screen or better nothing on screen other than mini map and chat window.  Every single game since the 90s both rpg and mmorpg has had this hotbar system that never evolves the gameplay and makes it feel like work.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

PS. The combat is much much better then what this guy is playing, this is for sure an older build and this guys seems to be just goofing around. I cannot stand questing but I enjoyed the combat flow enough it didn't bother me at all.

The highlighted is probably the worst advice anyone can ever give anyone. It's also the sign of a really bad review if a reviewer uses the "if you liked X then you'll like Y" references.

I did enjoy WoW for a very long time, but I'm not sure if I would enjoy Wildstar. It looks far too similar to WoW, and the fact that there are WoW Vanilla devs working on this game should be irrelevant. Given how many other quest hub mmos have struggled over the past decade now, you would think that this would be the LAST thing anyone would want to create.

The gameplay looked like a Sci-Fi Mulgore with bland combat and a crappy quest hub system. If it is a very old build, they should have showed something newer at E3.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

All of you posting negatively on something that hasn't even been released yet are cutting yourselves short.

Imagine yourselves 10 years ago, and WoW had a video prior to it's release and you saw it, well you would have been very impressed. What makes something new and looks like WoW so terrible?  This just may be Vanilla WoW steered in the right direction. 

Have fun in life and hope. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

All of you posting negatively on something that hasn't even been released yet are cutting yourselves short.

Imagine yourselves 10 years ago, and WoW had a video prior to it's release and you saw it, well you would have been very impressed. What makes something new and looks like WoW so terrible?  This just may be Vanilla WoW steered in the right direction. 

You are assuming everyone is basing it completely on the game play videos, yet, no one here actually knows WHO is the beta and who isn't (NDA and all).

But yes, have fun in life and remember.... ass-u-ming does something something.... 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Looks smooth!

That few seconds of him swimming made me think, Does anyone know if you can swim underwater? I know to some it's not that important, but to me it leaves out a dimension if it isn't in the game.

Yes, I've seen underwater footage at least once.

Originally posted by Isawa

Looks smooth!

That few seconds of him swimming made me think, Does anyone know if you can swim underwater? I know to some it's not that important, but to me it leaves out a dimension if it isn't in the game.

Yes, I've seen underwater footage at least once.

Good, thank you for the incite. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

You are assuming everyone is basing it completely on the game play videos, yet, no one here actually knows WHO is the beta and who isn't (NDA and all).

But yes, have fun in life and remember.... ass-u-ming does something something.... 

Yes, I was basing it off this video because that is what this discussion is about.  

And  "something, something"  makes Homer crazy? lol

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yikes.

Hopefully the science/exploration/settler paths are a LOT more interesting.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

I've been telling my sister, whom loves WoW, that this game will be her 2.0.

Apparently, I might have mispoken. This looks even more boring than WoW. (that's hard to do)

Perhaps their "Sandboxy" end-game systems will leave more to be desired?

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by ipeka

No commentary , no interview with any devs in the background , just a pure simple gameplay of wildstar . For me this is one of the thing i'm looking before getting any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJafXSmHv-o

Oh my that is bad.  WoW clone in space with the same tired old gameplay...quest hubs...themepark BS. 

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Airwren
    Originally posted by Dagon13

You really need to do some research on this title and what feature set they're talking about before comparing this game to Guild Wars 2.  It won't even be apples to apples.

I am fully aware of the feature set for each game and would be qualified to make such a comparison.  However, contrary to your interpretation I made no such comparison and simply referenced the feelings that many gamers expressed when they walked away from GW2.  

In the end, I'm left with the feeling that you missed the point of my post, which was to advise my fellow gamers to set aside their preconceptions and keep an open mind.  I am in NO way condoning/condemning either of these games.

Originally posted by BearKnight

I've been telling my sister, whom loves WoW, that this game will be her 2.0.

Apparently, I might have mispoken. This looks even more boring than WoW. (that's hard to do)

Perhaps their "Sandboxy" end-game systems will leave more to be desired?

What made you decide on that short video that it wouldn't be the WoW 2.0 you were telling your sister about? You are right though, it does look like WoW, and I don't think that's a totally bad thing. WoW was/is a great game and just went down the wrong path imho. Lets see where they steer it for us.