Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: For followers only. Will you now give TESO a shot?

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Coated

I don't understand how you were excited in the first place. There is absolutely no game play footage of ESO. Non. There are some crappy trailers that just look god awful in every aspect of MMORPG design. I have really never heard of, or seen anything concrete related to this game. All I've seen are some game developers talking about crap that they have no proof of and refuse to let anyone get a sneak peak. 

Honestly, I was turned off by this game long before the announcement of transitioning to console. Judging by how bad this game looks and how little they are connecting with the gaming community, I don't blame them for going into console's. They are going to need every gamer they can get to play this 'soon to be fail'.

I was excited, really excited because of several innovative features.

1. Open World Exploration Centric gameplay similar to Skyrim. Nope TESO is not an open world mmo, it's instanced.
    2. Amazingly innovative skill based class system. It's a class system not a skill based system, i must choose a class before i can progress
    3. 3 sided DAoC style RvR. Which will be nothing but fluffy pvp with nothing to lose, just an eternal zerg and bragging rights and faction buff plus personal buff for the emperor.

Those were among my top reasons but I just do not see how the game can thrive across 3 separate platforms inevitably leading to content delays and dumbing down of the PC version to make it work on a console.  I had plenty of reasons to hype the game but unfortunately the negatives far out weigh the positives.

Lol, you were never a fan in the first place if you can't separate the different formats.

Fairly certain my post history says otherwise.  Good day sir.  And go look at my reply to your reply, I sued the wrong choice of words but that's ok continue to harp on something I meant otherwise.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

My points stand true and just because you disagree doesn't make it right.  I'll leave it at that because I no longer will defend the game.

On another note another underwhelming review came out:  http://www.gamespot.com/e3/a-tale-of-two-worlds-archeage-and-the-elder-scrolls-online-6410289/

"It's unfair to judge a large-scale game meant to be played for hundreds of hours in the space of 40 minutes, of course. But even a massively multiplayer online role-playing game can reveal a lot in a short time. Is the basic combat enjoyable? Is the setting inviting? Is it fun to move about the world? The Elder Scrolls Online had a chance to make an impression this week, but it failed to do so. The demo felt old, uninspired, and clumsy, and most damningly, it was boring. So boring, in fact, that I struggle to find much to say about it and am not particularly inspired to know any more."

I read the rest of the article you linked and it was one of the more damning things I've read about ESO. It just goes on top of the pile of heresay and official information that makes me just shake my head at what they turned ESO into.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Coated

I don't understand how you were excited in the first place. There is absolutely no game play footage of ESO. Non. There are some crappy trailers that just look god awful in every aspect of MMORPG design. I have really never heard of, or seen anything concrete related to this game. All I've seen are some game developers talking about crap that they have no proof of and refuse to let anyone get a sneak peak. 

Honestly, I was turned off by this game long before the announcement of transitioning to console. Judging by how bad this game looks and how little they are connecting with the gaming community, I don't blame them for going into console's. They are going to need every gamer they can get to play this 'soon to be fail'.

I was excited, really excited because of several innovative features.

1. Open World Exploration Centric gameplay similar to Skyrim. Nope TESO is not an open world mmo, it's instanced.
    2. Amazingly innovative skill based class system. It's a class system not a skill based system, i must choose a class before i can progress
    3. 3 sided DAoC style RvR. Which will be nothing but fluffy pvp with nothing to lose, just an eternal zerg and bragging rights and faction buff plus personal buff for the emperor.

Those were among my top reasons but I just do not see how the game can thrive across 3 separate platforms inevitably leading to content delays and dumbing down of the PC version to make it work on a console.  I had plenty of reasons to hype the game but unfortunately the negatives far out weigh the positives.

Lol, you were never a fan in the first place if you can't separate the different formats.

My points stand true and just because you disagree doesn't make it right.  I'll leave it at that because I no longer will defend the game.

On another note another underwhelming review came out:  http://www.gamespot.com/e3/a-tale-of-two-worlds-archeage-and-the-elder-scrolls-online-6410289/

"It's unfair to judge a large-scale game meant to be played for hundreds of hours in the space of 40 minutes, of course. But even a massively multiplayer online role-playing game can reveal a lot in a short time. Is the basic combat enjoyable? Is the setting inviting? Is it fun to move about the world? The Elder Scrolls Online had a chance to make an impression this week, but it failed to do so. The demo felt old, uninspired, and clumsy, and most damningly, it was boring. So boring, in fact, that I struggle to find much to say about it and am not particularly inspired to know any more."

Leave it how you want but the fact remains that TESO was or isn't an open world mmo.

Poor choice of words I suppose but what I meant to say was the game is not linear.  I.e. I can explore and go my own path and find points of interest just like the single player games.  potatoe/potato.

Just like WOW and other themepark mmo's, have you actually played the game?

It has quests hubs that go from level to level, i can log in and go anywhere in the world like i could in Vanguard or EQ.

It's a linear themepark mmo.

It has a linear quest line just like every Single player TES game but that's not what I play TES games for, I play them for their non linear gameplay elements.  After 240+ hours playing Skyrim across 5 different characters I never once followed the storyline past opening the Dragon sequence in Whiterun.  Good day!

And yes TESO does have a non linear gameplay element identical to the single player TES games but of course you wouldn't know anything about it in your zeal to correct someone.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz
    Hahah people freak out/ cry over anything these days.

So what if they decide to release the game on consoles as well? Big deal, what will it matter for the PC version?
    They have said, they are kept seperate server wise, and stuff such as UI will be developed individually for the platforms.

Why does this affect us as PC gamers?

People really are so entitled these days, and anything which does fit into their POV just makes us cry out and declare defeat for the game.

Instead of setting these arbitrary/imaginary/conceptualized expectations/wants of a game, how about we chill out and see it for ourself as betas become more open, and greater accesability is granted?
    Also this game doesnt need you to defend it, to be its knight in shining armor, Im quite sure it will do very well, with or without you.

QFT

On a side note, I love how everyone else who has been QQing in this thread is ignoring this post because it pretty much hits the nail on the head.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

F2P in 6 months. If they had anything in the game besides AvA and heroics, they would have said so already. I can't wait to run the same dungeons over and over again for a year. NOT

I said the same for TSW and SWTOR and everyone called me a troll. It's pretty obvious this game will be equal or worse than those 2 titles. The only thing that can keep it afloat is the extra revenue from consoles but that won't make it any better as a game.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Didn't care for it as soon as the the information about it came out and it was nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. However I don't see how it being on console effects anything and I think you're overreacting.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

depends on what you mean "giving it a shot".

Of course I'm going to give it a shot. Meaning, I will get into some form of beta and make my decision then.

Heck, I thought Tera was going to be my long term mmo as I loved the combat and just wanted to "end game pvp". But the game doesn't have anything worth fighting for and though arenas can be fun they also get tiring after the "nth" time.

So we'll see how this goes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

The first thing that turned me off from the game was the initial direction of the game in going with the 3 faction locked areas for AvA PvP. Not really what I had in mind when I pictured an Elder Scrolls MMO. Coupled with that it was going to be completely soloable, including a hero storyline you can do to 50, really turned me off...but I still tried to get excited for it because it was Elder Scrolls.

Since the initial announcement, it has further turned me off because of the backtracking ZOS seems to be doing with the direction of the game. I think the initial backlash from TES fans was surprising to them, and they started tacking things on and tried to insist "No, really, look! It really IS Elder Scrolls, I swear!" They seemed to have a direction they wanted to go, found out that their target audience was mostly not on board with their vision and are trying to tweak it just enough to keep everyone happy. In doing so, they've seemed to just be kind of all over the place with the direction and development of the game which could have contributed to it being pushed back as well. I think if they would have kept their original concept and went with it, it would have been out this year still. 

Like I've said from the beginning, even though I don't post much, I think the original concept was fine. They just used the wrong IP for the game they had in mind. 

All that said...I may still pick it up later after launch to play with one of my friends if it doesn't totally suck. We're both pretty big ES fans so it would be cool to explore dungeons and stuff together but I will hopefully be balls deep into EQN by the time TESO comes out.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Originally posted by taus01

TESO didn't even make the final list for Gamespot's Best of Show FYI.  Not that it matters but I think it gives a bit more proof to how the game is going to not as good as some of us expected.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/gamespots-best-of-show-winners-for-e3-2013-6410330/

To be fair, they have Forza 5 on the top list. A racing game in it's 5th sequel that still does not have night racing or weather effects, it's just the same old all over again. Don't even get me started on crap like Bayonetta 2.

Taus01 has a very good point. The list of Gamespot really makes me question what is wrong with them. Forza 5 and Bayonetta 2 destroy any credibility the list might have ever had.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    This poll is biased with 4 choices and really two negatives, one neutral, and one positive. Wildstar fans will do anything to put this game down. That game with its explanation points, worthless fetch quests, combat red circles, cheesy cartoon graphics where you can spend your life building barbie doll houses is a great reason to hate ESO.

There Is Always Hope!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I was actually against this game from the start. It was going to be a horrid PC MMO. With the news of it being on console I've actually warmed up to it a bit. Me and the wife are seriously considering picking it up as of the console announcement. 

You didn't have an option for me so I didn't vote in the poll. 

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by mmobootsy
    This announcement really hurt me to the core.

This is a pretty strong statement about a piece of digital entertainment.

What do you expect will happen to the game to the detriment of the PC implementation to make it suitable for consoles too? Will the Open World be different? The classless skill system?

Personally I will prefer to play on the console, I like laying back on a couch with a controller in hand looking at a big screen.

you do know that the couch isn't the sole territory of the console don't you?

a wireless mouse and keyboard, a 65" DLP tv and a wonderfully comfortable leather lounge with powered recline - very nice

Originally posted by gatheris

What do you expect will happen to the game to the detriment of the PC implementation to make it suitable for consoles too? Will the Open World be different? The classless skill system?

Personally I will prefer to play on the console, I like laying back on a couch with a controller in hand looking at a big screen.

a wireless mouse and keyboard, a 65" DLP tv and a wonderfully comfortable leather lounge with powered recline - very nice

What do you balance all those things on in your recliner? :-) lol. I'm curious because this is that route I want to take, get out of the home office and connect with the big screen TV :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    The game looks linear, not worth my time.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by keithian

What do you balance all those things on in your recliner? :-) lol. I'm curious because this is that route I want to take, get out of the home office and connect with the big screen TV :-).

Grab a lapdesk. I have an executive one I paid way to much money for but I love it. They do make cheaper ones like the one below. 

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Deluxe-Personal-Workstation-Cushion/dp/B001RO040Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_9

Here's you one for $20 even comes with a light and a drink holder...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I'm still undecided. I don't care about cross platform, since it's just a natural progression of gaming. I don't fault a company for attempting to reach the most users available. I will have to see a lot more before making a decision. There's plenty of other games coming out to fill my gaming time with.
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Omg omg TESO is coming for consoloes also, what a shock...how about you stay until the end of the lesson where they say console servers wont be connected to each other nor the pc version of the game, so yea makes no diference to me im still as exited as i was before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

And then there's this list @ The Examiner where ESO comes out 2nd to the Division (which does look amazing):

http://www.examiner.com/article/best-of-show-e3-2013-games

...shrug.

And OP, correct me if I'm wrong. That Gamespot list you linked... all of those games are on consoles too aren't they?

The IGN "People's Choice Award" went to the Witcher 3. I guess you'll miss out on that one too because it's also "dumbed down" for the PS4 and Xbone...and oh yeah, the amazing looking Destiny? Yup, cross-platform too.

Whatever will you do when EQN is announced to be for PS4 also? The horror! You guys better get used to many, many games that used to be PC-only--including most AAA MMOs--coming to the consoles also. Your list of exclusive to PC MMO titles is about to begin shrinking.

Of course you can always dust off your old Athlon 64 computer and go play Ultima Online or Asheron's Call again... now those were real MMOs for manly men and women too.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

why should i care? most mmo's these days are designed for pc AND console even if they dont release on console right away you can clearly see the might go console design in about every single mmo.

skyrim was clear  a console game , oblivion was a maybe we wont but lets just add console design in it to.  both games were great. 

I doubt they are as stupit as SOE was whit DCUO that was even for a console bad design. designers/developers  have come a long way just like pc only mmo's  nobody is going to play a new mmo whit UI and gameplay design from 2003.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'll add answers for those who hated the game in the 1st place but I really would like to see those of us who have been die hard fans of the MMO versions reaction to the Cross Platform Announcement.  I am extremely upset and because of the console port it has become a deal breaker for me.  I will no longer support, follow or hype something I deem irrevocably detrimental to a PC MMO.  The genre I love above all else.  This announcement really hurt me to the core.  Hopefully ZOS will see the error of their ways and come out and scrap this plan but I know they will not.  In the mean time I'll do my damdest to let the the company know this is a poor move and will backfire on them.

Don't be offended by this, but you realize that they've made like the last 3 Elder Scrolls games on PC and Console, right? 

Things you may not have known:

1. There will be completely separate UIs for PC and Console
    2. PC UI can be modded with lua
    3. PC/MAC, XONE, PS4 will each have their own servers 

So, essentially, we're talking about a vastly different game on PC than on a console. It's not like cookie cutter UIs that we've seen before.

Just Sayin.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ALoneGamerALoneGamer Member Posts: 2

I think OP is overreacting a little bit here. Just because they're porting the game to consoles doesn't necessarily mean the pc version isn't going to be as good. I know that there is a history of pc games suffering for the console ports but for all we know the ui's for both versions could be fine, and the doomsaying just on this speculation is a little pre-mature. The next gen consoles are going to be huge and from what I've heard they're pretty powerful so you really can't blame Zenimax for putting their game on the consoles, where, even though the pc elitists might not believe it, people actually do play elder scrolls game. 

About the way the game is designed. I understand people's frustration that this game won't be more like a traditional elder scrolls game, having played and loved Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim myself (I got skyrim the week it came out and still play). It does sound like they are trying to make this game resemble elder scrolls as much as possible (first person fighting, items laying around you can pick up, books to read, lots of options in weapons, armour, and skills) but I don't think the direction they took was really that bad. It differentiates itself from the single player elder scrolls game and becomes a different kind of game. A little diversity in an IP can be a good thing. Now if the game does turn out to just be a quest hub themepark I will be very disappointed, but these people saying that it definitely will be are again really just speculating. I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic that this game will turn out well in the end.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by keithian

Grab a lapdesk. I have an executive one I paid way to much money for but I love it. They do make cheaper ones like the one below. 

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Deluxe-Personal-Workstation-Cushion/dp/B001RO040Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_9

Here's you one for $20 even comes with a light and a drink holder...

Thank you, I'm going to research a little. As silly as this sounds, getting something like this may have me avoid or postpone a PS4 if I can find one wide enough for a standard keyboard and a mouse pad :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I cant understand for the life of my how anyone is surprised by this being cross-platform.

The developers showed time and again that they were disconnected from reality right from the start. With PAX they showed that they weren't really listening, nor cared about what players were saying unless it was good. And as for "changing their minds"...the game was made with consoles in mind right from the start, there is no turning back, it isn't a decision that is made deep into development, its a decision made at the start.

Cross platform is one of the few things they have done that makes sense. They believe they are targeting TES fans, so to not do cross platform would be beyond belief because it would then mean they didn't just miss the mark, they missed the entire target board.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Iselin

And then there's this list @ The Examiner where ESO comes out 2nd to the Division (which does look amazing):

http://www.examiner.com/article/best-of-show-e3-2013-games

...shrug.

And OP, correct me if I'm wrong. That Gamespot list you linked... all of those games are on consoles too aren't they?

The IGN "People's Choice Award" went to the Witcher 3. I guess you'll miss out on that one too because it's also "dumbed down" for the PS4 and Xbone...and oh yeah, the amazing looking Destiny? Yup, cross-platform too.

Whatever will you do when EQN is announced to be for PS4 also? The horror! You guys better get used to many, many games that used to be PC-only--including most AAA MMOs--coming to the consoles also. Your list of exclusive to PC MMO titles is about to begin shrinking.

Of course you can always dust off your old Athlon 64 computer and go play Ultima Online or Asheron's Call again... now those were real MMOs for manly men and women too.

You're going to have to copy and paste this into every thread for the next year because the same folks are going to keep posting the same ridiculous 'dumbed down for console' argument regardless. They just can't accept reality.

On a side note, I didn't know about Destiny until your post. I agree, looks amazing and I haven't really played a shooter in years. Might give me a reason to get a console since it doesn't seem like it will be on the PC.

There Is Always Hope!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I was a 10 out of a possible 10 on this game.

NOW....really

the game doesn't exist.All I hear are things that make me feel the game has lost touch with the initial core values of the designers...so i have stopped getting irritated (hearing of all the changes) and will check next year to see if/when whatever it turns out to be is  going to launch and see how much further the game has been distorted. If its not FTP.....I don't care what the heck it is or isn't.