Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back to Rift and oops....

tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

On Rift 's open beta i tried it for a week and after reading many things about the game didnt bought it on launch.

Time passed Rift went free so i jumped in to check what it evolved to after all this time.Graficks are ok with some very nice character  npc models ,the class systme seems great to me anwy im always up to deep and mixed mechanics various choises on talents etc etc

So i rolled a ranger/marksman/saboteur. Ok i was a wow hunter for over 5 years but after playing 10 mins the animations really killed me. I mean ok u make an mmorpg product, how on earth is it possible to not improve the animations after all this  timethat passed from launch till today. I mean when u fire an arrow with the bow the arrows are not even visible and half the times a yllow line appears to (indicate the arrow trajectory?????).Apart this ofc the whole animations in mellee COMBAT  and the characters movement are in amateur level compared to wow and gw2 i presume(havent actually played gw2 to judge for sure).

Ok someone will say dude its free move on etc. But thats not the point. The point is that Rift had some nice things that could lure alot of players into,got its pvp even without wow ladders arenas etc but from what some ppl say its fun. It has the rifts that spawn pve and pvp mixed in various locations, 32 classes to pick with and experiment, and its a damn pity u frogs programmers to let it go that way.When u made a game 2 simple frieking things u need. Working combat system and the animations to be fluid and nice to watch. If thes e2 things are  well made ppl will try it and play it. No wonder why it went FTP after all.Cant imagine why someone will throw his money to play Rift as it is......

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

go back to wow then...

Now i am not a fan of themepark games but Rifts is not too bad and the animations are fine lol.. plus its now freee ..

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Caldrin

go back to wow then...

Now i am not a fan of themepark games but Rifts is not too bad and the animations are fine lol.. plus its now freee ..

yes what he said. Come back to wow like me. I rather pay a sub for higher quality mmo.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I actually like Rift.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

go back to wow then...

Who cares what type of game it is - people can't even agree what a sandbox game is. So I say throw that term out the window.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

go back to wow then...

If u think the animations are fine ,you my friend are in dire need of a pair of glasses . If thats not the case if u want to see what good animation is like go try that stupid game u mentioned in your response. As for me im done with wow over 2 years  now and iant going back there . But as i said in past threads lots of times the crap mmos we witness so far the last years that leaded to this decaying situation YOU my friend ME and lots of players bare a serious ammount of responsibility to this situation of crap products cause we are NOT DEMANDING enough from the developing teams.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by tazarconan

On Rift 's open beta i tried it for a week and after reading many things about the game didnt bought it on launch.

Time passed Rift went free so i jumped in to check what it evolved to after all this time.Graficks are ok with some very nice character  npc models ,the class systme seems great to me anwy im always up to deep and mixed mechanics various choises on talents etc etc

So i rolled a ranger/marksman/saboteur. Ok i was a wow hunter for over 5 years but after playing 10 mins the animations really killed me. I mean ok u make an mmorpg product, how on earth is it possible to not improve the animations after all this  timethat passed from launch till today. I mean when u fire an arrow with the bow the arrows are not even visible and half the times a yllow line appears to (indicate the arrow trajectory?????).Apart this ofc the whole animations in mellee COMBAT  and the characters movement are in amateur level compared to wow and gw2 i presume(havent actually played gw2 to judge for sure).

Ok someone will say dude its free move on etc. But thats not the point. The point is that Rift had some nice things that could lure alot of players into,got its pvp even without wow ladders arenas etc but from what some ppl say its fun. It has the rifts that spawn pve and pvp mixed in various locations, 32 classes to pick with and experiment, and its a damn pity u frogs programmers to let it go that way.When u made a game 2 simple frieking things u need. Working combat system and the animations to be fluid and nice to watch. If thes e2 things are  well made ppl will try it and play it. No wonder why it went FTP after all.Cant imagine why someone will throw his money to play Rift as it is......

Its one of the main reason I am not playing... makes you feel disconnected from the world, big emersion breaker for me.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

go back to wow then...

If u think the animations are fine ,you my friend are in dire need of a pair of glasses . If thats not the case if u want to see what good animation is like go try that stupid game u mentioned in your response. As for me im done with wow over 2 years  now and iant going back there . But as i said in past threads lots of times the crap mmos we witness so far the last years that leaded to this decaying situation YOU my friend ME and lots of players bare a serious ammount of responsibility to this situation of crap products cause we are NOT DEMANDING enough from the developing teams.

He doesn't need glasses just he has a lower standard than us on animations.  We like the finer things in life where mediocre is fine for him.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

WoW's animations are great...for a nearly nine year old game. Graphically, it reminds me of a mid-1990's Saturday morning cartoon. The animations in Rift are a little odd when compared to WoW, but there is a reason - Clipping. The Rift animations do a better job (not the greatest job, just better) of adding mass to the players so that equipment and body on the parts aren't passing through one another as much. The WoW animations look more fluid because they allow the armor and body polygons to freely clip through one another with the movement.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I think a lot of you really don't enjoy MMOs at all. You seem to enjoy finding fault in them far more fun than playing the games themselves. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I think a lot of you really don't enjoy MMOs at all. You seem to enjoy finding fault in them far more fun than playing the games themselves. 

I doubt that's the case at all; the kind of person that posts on a site like this has most likely played and enjoyed one or more MMO(s) at one point or another. Many of us love MMOs but share the understanding that a large majority of the current crop are simply garbage. If you, however, are tantalized by the menu more power to you.

I am one of the lucky ones, as I'm subbed to two MMOs that I think are great games. Though considering how many titles fill this heavily oversaturated market, it's pretty sad that these are the only two games I'd touch with a ten foot pole.

People "finding fault" in subpar products is nothing to be surprised by. It's an inevitable symptom of an industry that is not delivering the goods.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

So its got a bunch of good things and the animations caused you to make a QQ post and not play?

i  feel this has to be some kind of troll bait or something.

" i liked this , this,this and this and this were good, this is pretty cool too, but my character waves funny, so im not gonna play this game" lmao wutever

• Originally posted by tazarconan
    On Rift 's open beta i tried it for a week and after reading many things about the game didnt bought it on launch.Time passed Rift went free so i jumped in to check what it evolved to after all this time.Graficks are ok with some very nice character  npc models ,the class systme seems great to me anwy im always up to deep and mixed mechanics various choises on talents etc etcSo i rolled a ranger/marksman/saboteur. Ok i was a wow hunter for over 5 years but after playing 10 mins the animations really killed me. I mean ok u make an mmorpg product, how on earth is it possible to not improve the animations after all this  timethat passed from launch till today. I mean when u fire an arrow with the bow the arrows are not even visible and half the times a yllow line appears to (indicate the arrow trajectory?????).Apart this ofc the whole animations in mellee COMBAT  and the characters movement are in amateur level compared to wow and gw2 i presume(havent actually played gw2 to judge for sure).Ok someone will say dude its free move on etc. But thats not the point. The point is that Rift had some nice things that could lure alot of players into,got its pvp even without wow ladders arenas etc but from what some ppl say its fun. It has the rifts that spawn pve and pvp mixed in various locations, 32 classes to pick with and experiment, and its a damn pity u frogs programmers to let it go that way.When u made a game 2 simple frieking things u need. Working combat system and the animations to be fluid and nice to watch. If thes e2 things are  well made ppl will try it and play it. No wonder why it went FTP after all.Cant imagine why someone will throw his money to play Rift as it is......

This is exactly why I can't play Rift. I tried a lot in the past. But I can't. And one more thing. I think Races in Rift looks like shit. Especially male characters.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so let me try to understand, the op never played GW2 and said the combat animation is bad? same for rift? but he says he played wow and that was ok? troll post I bet.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WololoWololo Member Posts: 72

Stopped reading after that. 

NEVER REFERENCE SOMETHING THAT WAS IN A GAME YOU NEVER PLAYED AND THEREFORE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

That's all.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

way to play the victim card. developers like yourself just cant admit that you all are simply bad.

once you come to that realization, then, you will finally be able to do something more productive with your efforts and hard work.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

You know what I'd like. Video of the two games running on the critics machines. With the same equivalent settings (if you're running WoW on ultra, then do the same with Rift/Tera/whatever) Preferably side by side. Just to see how much water their argument holds when having to back up their statements with proof of how the games run on their machines.

Now, if you just don't like the game (or don't want to like the game because of how much you have invested in another game) then just say so. It's ok to like different games. For crying out loud, my favorite MMO(DDO) is a long running joke to most on here.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     I've not noticed a problem with the animations in the game. Rift's a quality themepark , if themeparks are your thing. I've seen this type of discussion before though, "WoW's animations are so much better than X" ; I've never really given it much thought. Different games use different animations, I've never once been turned off a game because of this difference. ( Even giving AoW a month of time) I'm going to chalk this up to a bait thread and move on.
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

way to play the victim card. developers like yourself just cant admit that you all are simply bad.

once you come to that realization, then, you will finally be able to do something more productive with your efforts and hard work.

But... how do you really feel, MMOExposed? :)

Seriously, though, there are hundreds of MMOs out there. It seems to make more sense to spend time playing the MMOs one enjoys than to use that time to constantly post about how MMOs one doesn't like have failed them. Now, if the contention is that one can't find an MMO they like in a seas of hundreds of choices, it seems it's entirely possible they are just looking in the wrong place for what they want.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

But... how do you really feel, MMOExposed? :)

Seriously, though, there are hundreds of MMOs out there. It seems to make more sense to spend time playing the MMOs one enjoys than to use that time to constantly post about how MMOs one doesn't like have failed them. Now, if the contention is that one can't find an MMO they like in a seas of hundreds of choices, it seems it's entirely possible they are just looking in the wrong place for what they want.

Thats because many of us that consume the products actually want to product to be better. Sitting back and not saying anything and letting the game stay in a crappy form, is more damaging.

Usually in most cases, Hyped up MMOs that fail hard, are usually the only games on forums that the community allow public criticism. But What about the other games that had issues.

Rift being one of them. I was a huge fan of this game going into Storm Legion, yet still didnt stop me from holding back criticism.

Go back and look at what Rift was like from the start and compare it to now. Clearly things were changed for a reason, because originally it was bad. Most MMOs start out this way. The earlier Developers can catch these flawed designed the better their chances at success.

But Trion Worlds went backwards instead of forwards with Storm Legion, during this high critical competition point and turned heads.

As others have stated, the Animations for Rift are very poor. This been a common complaint. Same with the Race Choices, seeing as the game actually only has 4 races. 2 of the playable races are clones of the other faction race which is why I leave them out.

The game world is very linear, when compared to World of Warcraft's world in Vanilla which was large, but also felt less pathy then Rift's world does.

Most people didnt like the Level Grind in Vanilla Rift, yet the developers went backwards and increased the level grind in Storm Legion, as well as tagging on more hidden grind with their carnage quest which was very poor way of hiding Grinding, which the original concept behind "Questing" was suppose to do. So that clearly was a poor game design decision.

Conquest was poorly designed and gave the general impression that the developers were lazy in the PvP game design. But on top of that, it was moved from level 50 to 60, basically forcing PvPers to grind levels just to play something they were already playing.

Events again in this game with Rifts arent a decent idea. Same flaw that Warhammer's events had, but repeated. same issue GW2's MetaEvents are having, again repeated. By repeat mistakes instead of building solutions?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Well if anyone is looking for an MMO that is currently pretty populated in the lower zones... Rift is your ticket.  Everyone seems to be trying the F2P model out.  So it's almost like release day in terms of activity and players.  Usually the best time to play any MMO... when others are actually starting out right along with you.  Of course that will all die down... but for now... lots of activity... which is a 1000 times more activity than there is in WoW and most other games atm.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

go back to wow then...

If you want good animations go to GW2 because WoW's animations are crap as well. Rifts are a bit better than WoWs but I do agree that Rifts animations are crap. However to me the animations don't overly matter unless it's action oriented combat because that is the only place it makes a difference. Beyond action oriented combat complaining about animations is nothing more than nitpicking. 

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Sorry the game wasn't up to your standards OP. Good luck with your next game. Hopefully you'll have a better outcome.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Careful there; forum standards only allow two options - universally negative, or "blaming the players".

If not A, then B.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The OP does have a point, the animations are rather bad in RIFT. They are worse than LOTRO which I thought was bad in itself...and there is an obvious 1 second delay for an ability to be cast.

WoW the animations are very smooth, and on top of that, the game in general is very responsive.

This is one reason WoW saw so much success (out of other reasons)...it was smoothest animations/responsive MMO I'd personally played (and I've played many). At least at the time it was released. But you press the button to do an ability/spell, and it does it right away. There is no 1 second delay to casting it after clicking the button. That is what makes it so smooth.

Even then, games like TERA and a bunch of others...they all have that one second delay when casting an ability and it doesn't feel smooth or responsive at all.

That is I think pulled many into WoW, again, at least one of the reasons.

With that, I haven't touched WoW after Cataclysm and won't go back unless it goes free to play/freemium.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Originally posted by Icewhite

Careful there; forum standards only allow two options - universally negative, or "blaming the players".

If not A, then B.

Good point. I fell prey to B there. I get a demerit.