Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: "We have a console for people without internet, it's called a 360"

15678911»

Comments

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

photo download.gif

LoL!!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There's a difference between Microsoft imposing an always online requirement for every game, and developers imposing online requirements for the games they develop. Steam is not imposing an artificial restriction to increase their own revenues. Microsoft is imposing an artificial restriction to increase their own revenues.

Did they say you need an Xbox Live Gold paid setup or did they simply say that you need to be connected to the internet so they can verify the game?

If it is the first, then yes they are running up the tab. If it is the second it is actually no different at all from what several developers are already doing. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well that is a good solution, seeing as if you do not have internet the XB1 will just be a very expensive and under-powerd PC that you can't do anything on... Much like the PS4.

I have a hard time seeing that enough people will be content with just a game console in the next 4-5 years. At least the XB1 have the potential to build better features and is massively more future-proofed compared to the PS4.

But that is the beauty of this generation, we now have a decent choice. If you like a glorified PsP, you got the PS4 and if you like a slightly retarded PC with a hands-free interface you got the XB1. Two different markets and two different methods.

This have been a good conversation

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by tawess
    Well that is a good solution, seeing as if you do not have internet the XB1 will just be a very expensive and under-powerd PC that you can't do anything on... Much like the PS4.

I have a hard time seeing that enough people will be content with just a game console in the next 4-5 years. At least the XB1 have the potential to build better features and is massively more future-proofed compared to the PS4.

But that is the beauty of this generation, we now have a decent choice. If you like a glorified PsP, you got the PS4 and if you like a slightly retarded PC with a hands-free interface you got the XB1. Two different markets and two different methods.

On the Xbone, games will stop running or never install without an internet connection. On an Xbox 360 and a PS4, games will both install and run without an internet connection. While the Xbox 360 is a solution, it's a dumb one. Anyone who was interested in a 360 has already purchased it and the PS4 is a superior console to the 360.

What does the XB1 have that the PS4 does not have? They have nearly identical hardware and capabilities. The differences between the two systems are in policies, not capabilities.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Originally posted by lizardbones   There's a difference between Microsoft imposing an always online requirement for every game, and developers imposing online requirements for the games they develop. Steam is not imposing an artificial restriction to increase their own revenues. Microsoft is imposing an artificial restriction to increase their own revenues.    
    Did they say you need an Xbox Live Gold paid setup or did they simply say that you need to be connected to the internet so they can verify the game?

If it is the first, then yes they are running up the tab. If it is the second it is actually no different at all from what several developers are already doing. 

Microsoft is driving up the tab, and they are using the always on or daily check in to do it. Used games are restricted and borrowing games is severely restricted. Used games in particular will require fees paid to Microsoft through "authorized retailers" and borrowing a game only works once. This is to push sales. Microsoft will get money from used games and will push sales of new games, making more money. None of this works without the required internet connectivity.

Remember, we were talking about physical game discs, not digital games. All of that stuff that Microsoft is doing would make perfect sense for digital copies of games. Allowing people to borrow digital copies of games would be a step up. But we're talking game discs, not digital games, so it's a step back, not a step up.

Since Steam doesn't deal with game discs, their policies make sense and are accepted by the people using the service. It was more restrictive than game discs, but it was also more convenient. Compared to the Xbox One, it's more convenient and less restrictive. Probably cheaper too since Steam runs sales on a regular basis.

It's not the always on requirement, it's the policies tied to the always on requirement, and the arrogant attitude Microsoft has towards their customers, 25% of whom don't have their Xbox 360s connected to the internet in the United States. That's 18 million people.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-3114-Would-Microsoft-be-Foolish-to-Make-the-Next-Xbox-Always-Online--The-Stats-Suggest-Yes.html

I'm certain Microsoft thinks they can make more money with their policies, but so is Sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcfQ_hF-R9I

Microsoft says on their Blog that they will get no money from the sales of used games. Publishers may get a cut of that money, but Microsoft won't.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by tawess

I wouldn't bet on the lack of people wanting just a game console. There will always be a place for a system whose primary, and possibly only,  function is to provide quick, mobile, and occasional gaming for any number of reasons. If Microsoft was trying to do this in the PC or even tablet market, I would agree with those that say that the ruckus is all over nothing, but consoles are a different beast for a reason, and while there may at this point be a big enough market for a hybrid machine alongside pure consoles, the idea that something like the XB1 will replace traditional consoles is absurd. The main target console gamer is not going to suddenly change their views on they are looking for, and the actual games are not likely to change much because of that either. This is going to b a problem for Microsoft because most games right now really don't require and/or are barely able to justify an always on internet connection; this isn't going to change anytime soon, so making a console that puts more hurdles in the path of these games than the gameplay itself can justify is going to run into problems. The XB1 may be a very good entertainment box that happens to include games in the package, but it is not a gaming console that will allow for the traditional uses of gaming consoles, and therefore will be, as far as gaming consoles go, a flop. It may very well find success in it's own niche market sitting between consoles and other electronic devices, but not as a gaming console.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

first of all...you are all daft to think that everyone in the US has broadband. According to the FCC, 119 million americans alone do not have access to broadband.

ALso take into account the number of service men and women who are avid gamers, that number goes up tremendously. One of the most popular past time of our armed forces are video games.

Lastly, Steam works perfectly fine offline. I went on a 3 month job out of state with no internet. I downloaded 5 games onto my laptop prior to going away, and it worked just fine the entire time.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    If things are not quick, easy and convenient then people complain like 2 year olds. I shouldn't be amazed but it amazes me when people don't have it their way all the time then it is considered no good. It is embarrassing to watch.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

i think the point is being missed by a whole lot of posters

not everyong has high speed internet!

shocking isn't it!

and there are those of us with "high" speed internet - well it is considered high speed internet but at 2.5m download most would not consider....

why is this a problem?

for example having a Dish dvr attached to the router at the same time you would like to download the latest (for like the 10th time in one month) patch for PS2 - do you have 3 days to spare before you can play (seriously)?

forget about having Steam running in the background while trying to play a game online - and if you want to add skype - ewwww

youtube video without pausing to buffer - yeah right

so yeah, being online with the console 24/7 is not happening

PS4 wins - - -  period

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    If things are not quick, easy and convenient then people complain like 2 year olds. I shouldn't be amazed but it amazes me when people don't have it their way all the time then it is considered no good. It is embarrassing to watch.

Please explain this to me....cause according to an article i read you will need at least 1.5 mbs connection just to play your single player game. How is that whining?

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by miagisan

Please explain this to me....cause according to an article i read you will need at least 1.5 mbs connection just to play your single player game. How is that whining?

i doubt it

you can do the 24h check-in with your moblie phone and its easier than login on facebook

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_24-hour_check-in_using_mobile_phone_uses_kilobytes_of_data_says_harrison.html

and yes this is anti pirate policy console check once a day if your soft is not modified

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by saurus123

i doubt it

you can do the 24h check-in with your moblie phone and its easier than login on facebook

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_24-hour_check-in_using_mobile_phone_uses_kilobytes_of_data_says_harrison.html

and yes this is anti pirate policy console check once a day if your soft is not modified

It's still daily maintenance, and every console gamer I know personally would simply skip the hassle because while they do enjoy their games, they don't play everyday, or even at regular intervals. Having to check in every 24 hours when you don't know when your next time playing on the system will be (something that I'm pretty sure is fairly common to the average console player as opposed to the type of gamer that is likely to be found on any forum) is going to be a very, very big turnoff.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

My brother owns a xbox 360 he loves games.

He lives way out in the boonies were he can not get internet that is worth getting. He even has bad cell phone service out there. So with Xbox one being online all the time he will not be getting a xbox and he is mad about that. He has never owned a ps anything. He is what you would call a XBOX fan boy.

He is having a hard time coming to terms that he is going to have to buy a PS4. 

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157

I have the popcorn ready. Just wait until the XB1 is released and people start complaining that even though the internet connection is fine, their console doesn't let them play (who want's to bet? I am game!!). At this point, I have to pass on it. I don't use my Xbox360 every day and have no desire in becoming a slave. I have enough of dealing with "servers down for maintenance" when I try to play an online game  with perhaps 2 hours max of free time, and then with the XB1 adding more hassles. No way.

gameplay > graphics

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    The Internet auth. doesn't bother me.  My 360 is on it 24x7.  So no change.  I actually like the fact games will be on the HD.  No, it's not that I'm lazy, it is because I have an 8 year old, and eventually the disks end up everywhere, in other jackets, underneath the TV unit, etc.  This way, with them all on the HD, I'm set, and just can say XBOX on, and off I go.

You will have ~10 games on your HDD if you do not use your XBOX one for any of its other features. Then it is full. The rest you will need to re-download whenever you want to play. No you can not put a bigger HDD into the system, it's locked.

I have 100Mbit and even for me a game like "The Last of Us" which is current generation and 40GB in size will probably take around 60-75 Minutes IF i get maximum speed.

This console is going to fail so hard it will go down in history as the biggest failure of all time.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

ALso take into account the number of service men and women who are avid gamers, that number goes up tremendously. One of the most popular past time of our armed forces are video games.

^ That is true.

Also one thing to note also is that one of the most played console while on active service is Xbox (because servicemen likes playing Call of Duty and Gears of War). Microsoft is basically shooting themselves in the foot with Xbox One here.