Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: RPG Personality Traits

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

For many players, the choice of the role into which they will fall in any MMO is as crucial as what their character looks like. In today's column, Genese Davis takes a look at three roles as defined in a recently released player survey. See what they are, how they play and which you are and then talk to us in the comments.

Gaming personality types are generally multifaceted and the dominance of one facet over the other is often situational. However, there are quite a few tests and quizzes out there that place player preferences and gaming personality types into different categories. In the Exploring MMOtivation column we took a close look at Dr. Bartle’s explorer gaming type, and mentioned how his test can determine whether a player falls into the explorer, killer, achiever or socializer category. 

Read more Genese Davis: RPG Personality Traits.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Very interesting topic.  Reminds me of the Path system talked about in Wildstar.  Personally my "RPG gaming personality" is different with every character I create in every game.  I made a Jedi in SW:TOR and based him on my decisions if I were training to be a jedi (Self), I also made a sith whose only goal was to make Darth Sidius look like a carebear (Role Player).  I also have a trickster rogue in Neverwinter that strives to output as much dps as possbile, while maintaining utility to help the group, to show how good of a rogue I am (mastery).  I don't see how the test can categorize a player so simply.  Maybe I'm just weird....?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Lark your life?

I would expect to score pretty low on the Role type. Higher in the Self type but highest in the Mastery type. Maybe. I've spent very little time thinking about this particular aspect of gaming.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I very much identify with self. There is a norn look in gw2 that fits me perfect. The problem I have is that I wanted to play as human. I just cant though. The faces are all wrong and it just doesnt look like me. The norn on the other hand is perfect all the way around. Hair matches, nose, lips, eyes, stubble, shoulders, neck everything. My wife rolls her eyes at my Norn warrior because it looks just like me.

On the flip side I have tried to roll a character that just isnt me at all and I cant make it ten minutes before know this just isnt going to work and I delete it.
  • Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

interesting quiz.  I see forum topics pop up regularly about why people do or don't think its ok to play as the opposite gender-  the self/role/mastery concept seems to show why some people have issues with this.

My only criticism is that the mastery player in the quiz is biased towards WoW style games.  Mastery in UO or Shadowbane terms would be very different than achievements and gear.  If there was a way to word the questions to determine mastery in a more general sense I think I would have had a very different result.

• LJonteLJonte Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Interesting, but I wish you'd spent a little more time exploring how the different gaming personality types might affect not just game play, but how players see games (and gaming issues) in other areas. Perhaps another column on the subject?

-Lisa Jont

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Personally, I always have "what does the character want to do" at the front of my decision-making, even when I'm using that character to peruse an achievement.  I also enjoy imagining alts debating amongst themselves, each having a different opinion on a subject.  I'm startled at how uncomfortable some people get when they encounter actual role-playing.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I'm not exactly sure which category I fit in nor what anyone really means by 'identifying with your avatar'. Does it mean that you're delusional enough to trick your mind into thinking you and your avatar are one and the same person? Or does it mean you simply behave in the game the same way you would in real life, using the same moral code? If it's the former then I'd recommend an express visit to the nearest psychiatric hospital to whoever 'identifies' with his/her toon before it gets out of hand. If it's the latter then I guess I qualify as a self gamer more than anything else.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Some of these comments are great. It's just a matter of preference not delusion. Just examine your own tendencies thats all.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
     Does it mean that you're dillusional enough to trick your mind into thinking you and your avatar are one and the same person?

I recommend this educational video: 

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
     Does it mean that you're dillusional enough to trick your mind into thinking you and your avatar are one and the same person?

I recommend this educational video: 

LOL ! not sure i got your point but thanks for the good laugh :)

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Cute article...a little fluff to get us past the shytstorm of E3. lol

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I am both a Self and a role player.. I try to create an avatar who'd best represent me and what I represent out here in the real world.. I try to envision, not really the avatar being exactly ME, but a "living, breathing" entity of another world for which I posses and must care for..

Luckily for me, most games allow me to design an avatar that carries at least SOME of the same visual traits as I, but even for the ones that don't I still connect on a level that tends to have me speak about the character in third person and not being possessive when doing so. So instead of saying "My character", or "My guy", I'll say "Vyeth is.." or "He is"..

I try to give myself the idea that the character has his own conscience, but lacks the ability to act on his own..

Wreck it Ralph is how I like to envision all video game characters... lol..

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Its crap like those tests that try to cram everyone into just a few categories that helped bring about the over simplified MMOs we have today.

Trying to create just a few categories allows companies to start thinking that they do not need real depth to their games, or variety and THAT is the reason why so many companies cant figure out WHY their games are failing.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I don't even have to take the test to know I fall heavily into the self category.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Its crap like those tests that try to cram everyone into just a few categories that helped bring about the over simplified MMOs we have today.

Trying to create just a few categories allows companies to start thinking that they do not need real depth to their games, or variety and THAT is the reason why so many companies cant figure out WHY their games are failing.

In the end it's all about trying to understand the player more so they can craft a game that they enjoy more.  When you have millions and millions of players you cannot craft a game for every type of player that possibly exists.  You have to break players down into groups, decide on who your market it, and where the focus of the game lies.  Actually it is when games try to please everybody they fail because they end up being unfocused and pleasing nobody.   If you look at Wildstar this is exactly what they are doing with Paths, and that game has depth coming out it's ass.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

I duno, I took this quiz and it told me I was 40% self, 30% RP and 30% achievement based.  The self thing I could've told anyone from the get go, I do try to identify with my toons in each game because that makes the game world itself so much fun, after that tho it's about what I can do in the game to get better at what I do.  I have -never- role played, never want to, never intend to.  I'm the guy that leaves the backstory box blank and you'll see me avoid RP hubs like they contained an awkward plague.

Tests like this, to me are more like the tests that tell you which FF7 character you are or which Dragonball Character you are.  They're basically meaningless things.  Anyone taking it seriously needs to seriously evaluate themselves.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    When I pick a character I look at the role I want to play in the game and adjust as needed to fill that role.  Normally, I like to start a healer so I pick one that would fit that class.  I never look at RL characteristics because I am trying to escape it.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I'm not surprised you ranked predominately in the self category. The cover of your novel strongly resembles you. Is it a safe bet that there's other similarities besides physical with your main character Kaylie Ames?

Thank you for the article. Any chance of sharing the link with people who have requested it here?

Edit: I note that your profile has not logged on to this site since the start of April so I'm not sure if you send through these columns for the MMORPG staff to upload. If that is the case then it's disappointing that the author does not show an interest in the discussions generated here.

Edit 2: http://www.gameongirl.com/gamerquiz/ link to quiz.

p.s. 80% Mastery, 10% Self, 10% Role when I did the test.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

Even though I've been a role-player for the past three decades, I scored HIGH on Self (55%), followed by Role (25%) and Mastery (20%).

What's the use of mastering anything if there's no story behind it?  I am presently playing ONLY Lord of the Rings Online, and I believe my answers are based more on how the MMORPG is constructed than an overall thought process.  I love certain characters -three of which I am presently playing in LotRO-, but I cannot actually role-play them because there are no real role-playing opportunities, whether from the game or the community.  If I had a game that at least tried to fit role-playing into it -I'm thinking ESO will actually do a lot of that, if my experiences in Oblivion were any indication-, then I'm sure my role would be much higher, likely 50%, shoving Self and Mastery lower.

Perhaps some control questions could be introduced for that quiz, such as "Does the inherent environment of the game have an effect on how you play that game?"  Perhaps there could even be a multiple choice question about role-playing, exploring, crafting, and other elements typical to most MMOs.  I understand no one wants the quiz to be huge, but I have to say that several of those questions simply did not have any manner of satisfactory answers for me; nothing fit, so I made the best choices I could.  I would definitely love to have a more accurate quiz, though.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    I think this explains the players who just cannot play as the opposite gender and those who have no problem doing so. Are you a self player? You would want to play your own gender. Are you a mastery player? Then the toon is just a tool and gender is meaningless. Are you a role-player? Than you may be comfortable playing either gender ( or not), depending on your ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

The social gaming market has gone a ways beyond the Bartle Test, and probably a lot of the MMO companies have too.  There isn't a gamer test for it, but you might want to look at an article I wrote for Gamasutra a while back for an idea of what the marketing folks are thinking when they shape games for you these days.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ShavaNerad/20100510/5123/Skill_Luck_Wonder_Puzzle_Story__What_Neurochemical_Rewards_Attract_What_Audience.php

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Other than marketing and the gaming companies themselves (to tailor games/ads to bring more players in), why would anyone care about and/or want yet another psychological test?

You play as you play. The fact that 'a'  test defines you as primarily 'self' means...nothing. It lends no insight to you other than 'I have been defined as 'Self' so lets get back to being self in game'.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Gorwe

80 Role/20 Self here.

I didn't really need a test to tell me that lol.

What the tests on net lack is the selector bar from selectsmart tests. That slider below the question that allows you to tell how important the question is to you(fully important gives 2x points from question and non-important gives 0,25-if any at all). This way you can be judged justly, not only by the mass weight of your questions.

Of course, the fact that the questions are telegraphed is a big problem as well.

Then there are tests that reportedly "test" your Keirsey-Briggs type and then they have like two choices(even a nooby booby knows that tests need at least one negative, one neutral and one positive choice-in other words an odd number of choices is a MUST).

Amazing write up, where did you get your Doctorate?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yeah... these personality tests are (IMO) kinda cute and interesting but not really important in the big scheme of things.

They can probably provide a Aha-experience to some people, that there are different views on things (so we can avoid some more topics on the "guys-who-play-gurls-avatars-OmaGAd-are-you-weirdos" theme).

Whenever developers or other "industry-people" are trying to use tests like these they seem to simplify it a lot and go completly bonkers, which tend to end up in some degree of failure in the end.

This test seemed kinda simplified and crude as well: at times there were more than one answer that fit, other questions had no suitable answer at all.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

60% Role: Storytelling through your avatar is your main attraction to a game.

35% Self: Being there would make the experience a little more fun.

5% Mastery: Trophies are a nice bonus.