Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop issues!

drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Hey guys, I have been an ASUS ROG fan for 4 years now. My G73JH died on me 2 days ago. I got a good 4 years out of it and it still played the latest games very well!

So my older asus died and I needed a laptop that day for work. I am a software consultant and I have a dead line to meet. I went ahead and bought an Asus G75. 3G ram on the Geforce GTX 670MX. 12 Gigs of ram, 3rd gen i7 intel 2.4-3.2ghz processing speed. The only down side is the slow 5400rpm 1T HDD.

So far so good, I havent had the chance to play any of my games on it yet due to my tight deadline with work coming up very fast. 

My biggest concern is.......last night my screen went black then reappeared and I got a message saying the display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Also notice after wakeing the laptop up the bluetooth seems to "not respond" for about 12 sec. WTF seriously? I have had had it a day  lol. 

looking around the web it looks as though this display driver is common and people are having to RMA their laptops! I dont know if I should get an exchange or a diff comprable brand of laptop. For $1,500.00 I dont think I should be having these problems lol.

What would you all suggest?

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

RMA. Do not buy Asus without reading reviews and complaints first.

Since you just purchased it, you should have zero issue, but you got a $1500 pos now. Avoid the future of problems and not risk your job, replace it now.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Try uninstalling and re-installing the video drivers. If this happens daily it's a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen once a month and I probably wouldn't do anything about it.

When a computer sleeps stuff gets saved to the hard drive and has to be pulled back off the hard drive when it is brought out of sleep. You have a 5400 RPM hard drive and an OS that doesn't think Bluetooth activation after sleep is very important.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Should I take it back to best buy and get it replaced? I REALLY cannot afford to go without a computer for any period of time seeing as my deadline is approaching VERY fast.

To top it off Saturday I have to be in another state lol. And the icing on the cake the 10th of next month I start a 2 year project in Australia so I will not be able to send my laptop back from another country due to the manufacture warranty not covering the purchase outside of the country of origin I bought it in. 

I'd buy something that will get the JOB done now and ignore the gaming. Might even buy a used computer.

Then I'd get a system that could do what I want as well as what I need that would be covered under a warranty where I'm going.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

yea I thought of that but a 1500 dollar laptop will cost 2500 in australia. When I was there last year I looked around the comuter stores and didnt even see the asus rog in any of the 6 stores i visited lol. 

I am leaning on just driving to best buy and exchanging it for another.

I could just get a refund and get a less expensive laptop and give it to my wife when I am done with it. Then buy one in Australia.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Gaming laptops should always be purchased with the longest (3 years preferable) extended warranty possible that is as inclusive as possible.  You'll almost always get a chance to collect on it (I have multiple times) and never regret the extra spend.

Unless you can by a machine in your home country and return it from Austrailia, I'd hold off for now and pick one up when you are over there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Everything PC related costs a lot more in Australia. Many games are not even available due to censorship laws.

You also need to check what Country Code the optical drives use in Australia. If you intend to bring optical media with you it may not play on optical drives there. If the code is different then the simple solution is take a U.S.A Country Code 1 portable optical drive with you and hope it doesn't break.

Country codes can also be changed on optical drives BUT you can only do that about 3 or 4 times and then the drive is locked to the last change.

yea noticed last year when I was in Australia I rented a dvd and had to change my setting on y laptop to watch it lol. 

Well I need to focus on work, I guess I will subconsciously  debate this while I work. Thanks for all the input everyone.

• alden21alden21 Member Posts: 2
    Have you check your hard drive? I encountered almost same problem before in my previous laptop then I found out that my hard drive have lots of bad sectors.