Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Pay 2 Enjoy.

2»

Comments

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Renoaku

However my Debate with Rift, is Pay 2 Enjoy,

Welcome to the real world - in the real world if you organise something yourself you can do it for free. Chances are if you expect someone else to organise your fun it wont be free.

Are you aware that you can purchase gems with in game currency you earn while playing? While I personally don't have a desire to re-skin weapons I change every level each to their own.

While I've had a look and probably wont play it again as far as I can see its pay to accelerate which is total fine with me. When I was younger with lots of time currency I could grind out stuff. Now I'm older with a fuller life I just don't have the time so having the option to grind or pay to remove grind is fantastic imho.

Defeating the time sync isn't P2W its a quality of life option and I think F2P or B2P with the option of buying incidentals is the only way MMO's are going to attract people away from others they have up to 8 years invested in. Unless the game play is something spectacular which I haven't seen achieved yet in any MMO of recent times.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Once you get to endgame your weapon won't change much. I've had the same mace for months now. Between lvl 6 and 60 you are going to go through tons of weapons. Patience.
  • pipbritpipbrit Member Posts: 4
    Who hates their life? That guy.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Look, you are simply not going to be pleased...about anything...ever.  Go ahead and boycott the game.  No, one...and i mean no one, cares one bit about your tantrum on the Rift forums or these forums.  Write your extremely influential and self-important blogs that no one will read, and move it on along.  

We obviously all care. This guy is famous. Didn't you read his link??  ...... Actually with my Rep in the MMO community it does mean a lot Plus all my results get posted on the Top of every search engine or anyone looking for information about the game and with the age of all my posting accounts across all RPG forums on the internet yeah I would say it could have an impact on Rift as a game..... 

Hahahahaha! I haven't laughed so hard this early in the morning in such a long time........ 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Secretdoor101Secretdoor101 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Well, it was not the OP's cup of tea.  Great, glad you want a game where how you look is completely your choice at all times, at least you know what you want.  Good luck finding it (seriously, there's not much for options out there on that!)

As far as the ability to customize in rift, you can buy credits with in game currency via players who want to sell credits (Rift Exchange.)  You do not have to pay any money to do it, but it does take work (and a good bit more in game currency than what you would have as a level 6 with FTP just starting and no time having passed for prices to come down.)

I...do feel that your post was far too negative with regard to the developer response and that there were a large number of errors in nomenclature and/or game mechanics.  You talk about dyes, which is different from weapon graphics and the items used to alter the weapon graphics.  You talk about submitting a ticket, but you seem to have run off and posted without waiting for results... and no dev team around is going to take a forum post and go hunt down a ticket that is still in process out of order.  There is a general lack of full information here, including how much credits (you called them green gems) cost to buy.  I won't nitpick on your spelling and grammar, but the post overall is just lacking.  Finally, if you looked into anything that the Rift dev team mentioned about going FTP, weapons were mentioned as having been tried as a wardrobe item, but there were too many errors... and thus they made it fall into the current system (that was all over the FTP news with Rift, it was honestly hard to miss.)

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Oh, it is THIS guy.  I read this thread on the Rift forums last night.

Weren't you offered a refund, and one of the devs actually said they will be changing the description of the vanity item in question.  Isn't that basically what you were after, yet you come here to slam the game and talk about how Trion wronged you.

Grow up.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

TERA, I quit because of character customization as well I got to like level 30 or so I think basically when I bought the game I thought I got the full game full unlimited customization with my subscription when it was Pay 2 Play, but I didn't so I quit after complaining about it and they wouldn't fix of course now the game is F2P I have checked the game out and it still the same way and same UI bug I reported when it first came out so I am not playing. ( Yes I do have a collectors edition of TERA)

I assume you never found the template station where you can use any armor you can wear ( from your class ) that's under lvl 58 as a template for the armor you have on. You can also craft dyes to change the color of it to anything in that armors template. None of that cost real money to do.

That wasn't enough for you ?

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

I have never played Rift in my life. I know that weapon skins are one-use item shop perks. How? I saw the game went Free-to-play and watched a 15 minute long video detailing the item shop. It wasn't difficult. I could see how if you didn't do any research, you could make that mistake. I cannot fathom, however, how you could possibly quit a game over something like this. If you can name one game that you can fully customize your character from level one to max without spending any money at all, I'd love to hear about it.

Frankly I would be more concerned about the actual gameplay and content that was available to me for free. It sure seems like Rift has a lot of it. Maybe MMORPGs aren't for you. I think newgrounds has a lot of dress-up games for free. Check there.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

You're boycotting the game because you can't customize the look of your level 6 weapon for free?

... yeah. I can't say much about that which wouldn't get me permabanned. I mean seriously? "I can't customize my low level weapon for free whenever I want to, so I'm going to boycott and badmouth this game! Even though I have access to all quests, zones, raids, and levels of equipment, MY LEVEL 6 SWORD MUST LOOK BADASS!!"

Unbelievable how entitled people are these days. Block function, ahoy!

What's really stupid about this is that you surpass level 6 inside of an hour or so playing the game.  I played for three hours last night and hit level 12... and I spent a good deal of time fishing and gathering resources for crafting. The game quests gave me new weapons, most of which looked pretty cool after the first 5-6 levels, at a regular pace.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

You're boycotting the game because you can't customize the look of your level 6 weapon for free?

... yeah. I can't say much about that which wouldn't get me permabanned. I mean seriously? "I can't customize my low level weapon for free whenever I want to, so I'm going to boycott and badmouth this game! Even though I have access to all quests, zones, raids, and levels of equipment, MY LEVEL 6 SWORD MUST LOOK BADASS!!"

Unbelievable how entitled people are these days. Block function, ahoy!

What's really stupid about this is that you surpass level 6 inside of an hour or so playing the game.  I played for three hours last night and hit level 12... and I spent a good deal of time fishing and gathering resources for crafting. The game quests gave me new weapons, most of which looked pretty cool after the first 5-6 levels, at a regular pace.

Level 6 is basically the level where you leave the tutorial area......

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I know this sounds petty, but I too have already quit.

Why?

I logged in and began to resume my leveling from SL. Only to notice my mount speed was 60%. Now I'd been a Rift subscriber from release to SL. and I'd already paid for my mount increases with a lot of gold. And while I fully understand I am no longer paying a sub, I still just can't get past this.

60% Mount speed is a deal breaker for me.

POST EDIT:

OK, Now I am seeing 110%

Hmm, I'll keep an eye on this, I may have spoken too quickly

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I think it may have just been a case of me misreading the tool tip on one of my world event mounts from last year. When I mounted up my Najmok, it said 110%
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by DamonVile

TERA, I quit because of character customization as well I got to like level 30 or so I think basically when I bought the game I thought I got the full game full unlimited customization with my subscription when it was Pay 2 Play, but I didn't so I quit after complaining about it and they wouldn't fix of course now the game is F2P I have checked the game out and it still the same way and same UI bug I reported when it first came out so I am not playing. ( Yes I do have a collectors edition of TERA)

I assume you never found the template station where you can use any armor you can wear ( from your class ) that's under lvl 58 as a template for the armor you have on. You can also craft dyes to change the color of it to anything in that armors template. None of that cost real money to do.

That wasn't enough for you ?

Yes I am aware of the cosmetic vendor in the game, however that wasn't the issue.

The issue I had with TERA is that I have to pay every single time I wanted to change my avatars height, hair, hair color for example its quite annoying, I like TERA, I bought a collectors edition of TERA, heck I will even take a picture of my box and prove I purchased it for like $100 with delivery fee I enjoyed TERA at first, but when the developers did not fix the UI Scaling bug when it was reported, and told me I had to pay extra to customize my character's hair or change colors and such I quit the game after my 2nd month of paying, and I even opend a complaint with the Better Business Beau which was never resolved because all they did was throw the TOS in my face which I wasn't required to agree to because.

1. The link on the owners manual was invalid.

2. I created my account during, and or before BETA so I wasn't required to agree although I am aware there was an agreement I wasn't require to click I agree at the time so technically I didn't agree and they mislead me as a consumer making me think that 100% of the content was free with my subscription including changing hair style after character creation and so on.

No it wasn't enough.

My dream of MMO's is to have a Truly free 2 play MMORPG, or MMORPG companies that actually sell content for money there are a few that do it now like this, for example.

Guild Wars, EVE Online, Second Life, APB,  These are all games I don't have to spend any money in to redo my characters armor, or weapon appearances and I can do it from level 1 for free. 

I understand that F2P Game developers need to make a living the game needs profit to pay for servers, and pay developers to keep the game going, and I would be happy to pay for actual content in any F2P game as well as many others I am sure, what I am not willing to pay for is features that should be part of the game for FREE, or at least free to those who actually buy items from the cash shop for example my dispute with Trion, and RIFT, Rift offers a wardrobe function which I can place my cash shop armor in at level 1 if I want I know becuase I purchased it at level 1 and wore it, so why not just allow me to use my weapon skins the same way I have already paid over a months subscription for content, and if Trion actually made me a happy consumer I would have likely paid 3 months worth of money in just a single month of playing the game.

Yes the Rift Developers Updated the Weapon Skin Descriptions in the Cash Shop.

I also got a reply saying that they are swarmed with tickets at the moment because of going Free 2 Play because honestly I want what I believe I was paying for or I will just uninstall Rift from my pc and if they give the money back go play a new game like Final Fantasy XIV which btw I played BETA today and the game improved a lot compared to the old one and I am shocked at how good the developers have done, heck the game looks better than Rift anyways.

Yes the developers said to put in a ticket to customer service and ask for a refund, I already put in a ticket before they even said to submit anything complaining about the issue to them that I want what I believed I was paying for and it should be a FREE feature for everyone and just made part of the wardrobe system. It takes them like 60 seconds to get the money but takes a customer over 24 hours to get a refund because of how swarmed the tickets are at the moment.

Bad Mouthing Rift  I like Rift as a game, but  I have played like every RPG title released including the big so called titles everyone thought would be great, and the ones that have been a massive failure and died in a month or 3 months after launch. Yes I will share what I think about the game on multiple RPG sites, Blogs, forums, clan sites, and tell my clan members to avoid the game, in fact after spending over $300 in Fallen Earth and loosing it because of their crappy customer service a lot of my friends and clan members tend to follow me when I say don't play a game now of course it doesn't speak for everyone as a whole though. What I want is simply what I paid for and was lead to believe I was paying for as a consumer, and personally I would like the feature added to the wardrobe for everyone.

My dream, and what I want to see in F2P games is Truly Free 2 Play, not a game like Aion, Lineage 2, Rift, Runes OF Magic, Dragons Prophet, or any of these other F2P games. What I want to see is developers who actually offer content for sale in the game like in Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Defiance, Basically how it works is a person buys the cosmetic armor and they can wear it for free, and not required to pay additional fees, in F2P Games instead of charging players every time they want to change their hair color for example in TERA, and Aion they could offer me the option to pay to unlock color and hairs and allow me to change between what I have unlocked free at any time and I would likely be playing the game right now. "EVE Online for example allows me to freely change my avatars hair, and looks for a flat rate of  a subscription fee or Plex only thing I cant change is character redefine like size of my character for free, but I do believe I can pay in plex for a resculpt but otherwise all key aspects of the game are free with my monthly sub unlike TERA & Aion when it was Pay 2 Play and plastic surgery tickets.

This is what I want to see in RPG games, and I bet given time more people will think the same way it will take awhile for people  and new generations to see what F2P is really about in most games before developers stop nickel & dime and try to milk the cows.

• iceashiceash Member Posts: 21

Well i don't know really  what to say, as others have mentioned i saw your original post on the rift forums and even then I presumed you were a kunckle dragging troll, but no here you are on MMORPG forums talking the same crap.

So Trion gives you access to the full game, just if you havn't at any time owned rift you have only 2 character slots and 3 bag slot's. oh and  you have to buy the expac souls if you want them but by no means do you need them at lvl 60.

Now we come to the crux of the issue you are throwing your dummy out the pram over the ability to reskin your weapon, a bit of history here, ppl have been asking for a weapon wardrobe for a long time, Trion alway's said it was technically difficult to do, so it didn't appear, with the decision to go F2P it was looked at again as a pay for item as this would then justify the time it took for an engineer to work out how it could be done.

Transmogrification bauble's are a 1 time use item, i have received 3 so far 2 through my loyalty rewards and 1 from a drop, i still have 2 in my bags as i just don't feel the need when lvling to change the weapon skin every 5mins (but that's just me).

So we have someone here that can play all the game for free, change costumes, buy dyes from npc vendors for a pitance in gold, play 2 classes of their choosing with 8 soul veriations, get a chance at drops like the transmog items for free etc etc etc,

But the one hangup is that you have to buy several transmog items because you have to change you weapon every 5 mins. well if you are well known in the MMO community i would say it's not due to your wonderful blogs/comments but because you are a complete and utter       ........................ ( ppl plz feel free to insert your own words into the space, as i couldn't decide on just the one.)

My dream, and what I want to see in F2P games is Truly Free 2 Play, not a game like Aion, Lineage 2, Rift, Runes OF Magic, Dragons Prophet, or any of these other F2P games. 

This is what I want to see in RPG games, and I bet given time more people will think the same way it will take awhile for people  and new generations to see what F2P is really about in most games before developers stop nickel & dime and try to milk the cows.

You do know you live on Earth correct? You do know that you live on a planet that revolves around currency called money correct? You do know that content cost this thing called money to create and people to create it correct? So you may want to keep dreaming, they all need to make money.

Now there is a way this can be fixed. I believe Mars is devoid of a currency system at the moment and as luck would have it they are looking for people to live there in the semi-near future. I say you jump all over that and make sure you're one of the ones on the ship. Then you can be one of the first ones there that can dress up however they want FOR FREE!!!

.....of course... the only stipulation is that you can dress in whatever you want as long as you're okay with Martian dirt as your material, because I believe it'd cost "money" to get someone to make something for you.

DISCLAIMER: I absolutely edited down his post to the part I felt would make my point better. I mean he can do it with his "review blogs", so I can too right??

What I want is simply what I paid for and was lead to believe I was paying for as a consumer.

This is one of those guys who sits there and sues McDonalds because when he drank his coffee it burned him and is mad because he didn't read the cup that said it was Hot.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locked since there's pretty much the same cash shop/armor discussion going on already here http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/387291/Rift-now-pay-to-win.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.