Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Pay 2 Enjoy.

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

I wouldn't consider Rift Pay 2 Win if the complaint about Pay 2 Win is because players can buy gear sets from the cash shop at level 60 without having to run a dungeon, then that in my opinion is an invalid debate because Pay 2 Win in my book specify having an advantage that no others can get without paying Real Life Money, I mean after all if you are going to do nothing to spend money to pay your way through a game completely why even play.

However my Debate with Rift, is Pay 2 Enjoy, I put in $20 to the game just recently and I found out that I had to pay extra money just to change the skin on my weapon each time 180 Green Gems and I was like what the when I purchased the item and it didn't say anything about this on the description so I figured it worked via wardrobe too but it didn't.

Also I have no complaint about the DYE system however I would like if that were fixed like Guild Wars 2 with one time unlocks.

For this reason I have already quit the game at level 6 because I have to spend 180 Green Gems every time I want to customize my weapon so that means if I buy the skin at level 1 I have to pay 180 Green Gem every time I want to change my weapon, while $20 does get you a lot of gems I think it is still dumb having to pay 180 every weapon skin change when the weapon skins should work just like wardrobe armor. ( To me it is just insane to have to pay RL money for gems to be used for re-skinning.)

Now the developers can't lie to me and tell me they can't change this because they can either make it part of the Wardrobe or make the item 100% free in cash shop, or 100% free to those who have purchased from the cash shop on a Reward but unlimited times for 0 Green Gems.

I was also told to submit a ticket and ask for a refund, I already submit a ticket about this issue I believe before even posting the topic.

Yes The dev also said they would update the Tool-Tip descriptions on all the weapons so that players know they have to buy the transmute stones or whatever they were called, but still while this will help future players, I am not playing a game like this and if I knew the game was like this I wouldn't have paid a cent.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/364065-cash-shop-misleading.html#post4296763

Here is the debate on their forum I pretty much politely gave it to them, I am not playing Rift, and my official review based on 1 hour of playing it in multi-box with DarkFall is Pay 2 Enjoy, I haven't really seen any Pay 2 Win elements yet.

Do I recommend the game, If you don't care like some people don't about how your character looks you mite like it, but Personally I do not recommend it Personally I am not playing it until it is changed, and it was a waste of my money unless they are going to give me what I was lead into believe I was paying for.

And to answer the other question, I am not a newb to Rift, I played RIFT during Beta, and Trial, I never bought the game because personally I feel the game looked like crap however after major updates and from what I thought being able to freely customize my avatar, or character the way I wanted I was going to return to give Rift a try until I had the issue with the weapons.

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

*yawn* Clicked the link. 

The dev reply in your thread has actually been quite helpful.  I guess it's MMORPG.com though. Also...

"Actually with my Rep in the MMO community it does mean a lot"     - lol

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Why on earth are you paying to customize your weapon at level 6 when there are literally 100's of weapons for you to still find.... The free-to-find endgame weapons don't look rubbish you know, they look awesome.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Why on earth are you paying to customize your weapon at level 6 when there are literally 100's of weapons for you to still find.... The free-to-find endgame weapons don't look rubbish you know, they look awesome.

Why would you not?

http://i.imgur.com/xuC43ZF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o2wYFNx.png

http://imgur.com/a/8sXkI

If a game doesn't offer anything realistic or realistic such as this in a SYFY world, I will not play the game.

When I play a RPG, or MMO I expect to see good character customization, and something that is Free 2 Play, But not Pay 2 Enjoy, or Pay 2 Win in other words Cash Shop items are okay, but not to the point where you can't earn them 100% in game and can't freely customize or change skins as much as you want for example after buying it.

I don't want to see some game like never winter

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Renoaku

Why would you not?

If a game doesn't offer anything realistic or realistic such as this in a SYFY world, I will not play the game.

When I play a RPG, or MMO I expect to see good character customization, and something that is Free 2 Play, But not Pay 2 Enjoy, or Pay 2 Win in other words Cash Shop items are okay, but not to the point where you can't earn them 100% in game and can't freely customize or change skins as much as you want for example after buying it.

So your complaint is that without paying you can't choose to make the weapon you are currently using look different? I guess it would be a nice feature for some.. but I don't think it's even close to game breaking by not having it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I was wondering the exact same thing. Why would you care about customization of your gear at such a low level. I mean, you must be one of the only one who cares how you look at low level. If you stopped playing for such a stupid reason, then I guess most f2p MMO won't attract you since nearly all of them works this way. You should just enjoy the game and work on the cosmetic aspect of your character only at the end, like everyone else.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I just started playing for the first time since Beta and though I don't have an opinion yet (other than the world seems to look pretty so far), I'm so happy I'm not in the class of players that cares so much about aesthetics. As long as my character doesn't look exactly like every other one I see like in WOW when it first got released, I'm OK. I never care about changing the appearances of weapons and stuff like that. I just want to carry a big stick :-). I must be lucky :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by SirFubar

I was wondering the exact same thing. Why would you care about customization of your gear at such a low level. I mean, you must be one of the only one who cares how you look at low level. If you stopped playing for such a stupid reason, then I guess most f2p MMO won't attract you since nearly all of them works this way. You should just enjoy the game and work on the cosmetic aspect of your character only at the end, like everyone else.

i just don`t understand the big deal in the first place.. if I am at level 2 in a rpg or mmorpg I expect to have a rusty dagger or a something..  i guess I`m from an older generation, I love and want customization but I just don`t understand some of the things people complain about today.  

edit *sorry didn`t mean for this to be a reply to you guys

Finally got a reponse from the Rift Team on the forum saying they would update the descriptions on the weapon skin's sold in the cash shop, but still I have no intention of returning to RIFT until it is FREE just like the Wardrobe, I was mislead thinking that it would work just like the wardrobe armor I put on but it doesn't it requires 180 Green Gems, or Rift Point currency every time you want to change your weapon to a different look which is the reason I will not be returning to Rift.

I understand a lot of people think this maybe a stupid reason why not just enjoy the story, but still I was mislead I lost $20  I know its not a lot and they might even refund I don't know all I know is that Rift should give this as a free option to all players just like the wardrobe or offer the items for free to everyone in the cash shop if they can't make customers happy make more money.

If Rift continues down this route, Right now I understand players are like Hey Rift is alive again and that is great news, but if they continue the same path but make it worse they will loose even more customers they already lost me as a customer of Rift until they change it to free.

I expect that give it a few months to a Year Rift will loose popularity again if new MMO's start coming out such as WildStar and so on if they actually are good, or perhaps a bunch of WOW players will come over to Rift who knows I just know that as long as it remains like this I am not going to be one of the players neither will any friends, or clan members I know of, and yes I do keep my clans and names anonymous for the most part I have many online identities.

And for the record I do support F2P  games, I understand developers need money to develop content, I don't mind paying, but I mind when I have to constantly throw out insane amounts of money over $20 to enjoy the game the way I want to enjoy it that is when I will quit the game before it even comes to that point.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    I like to give Rift and Trion shit when they deserve it, but this isnt anything to get worked up over.  in fact, its a plus for Trion since they offered a refund and are trying to make the system more idiot proof.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wait.. what? Unless they changed the dye system, you could always either buy or create your own dyes no problem as long as I could remember... so basically you wasted money on stuff you don't need thats cosmetic... that can be earned in game...

/facepalm.

Honestly though, they need to MAKE MONEY and cosmetics is ultimately something that most players (myself included) would be most willing to sacrifice for the sake of not tarnishing normal gameplay.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Wait.. what? Unless they changed the dye system, you could always either buy or create your own dyes no problem as long as I could remember... so basically you wasted money on stuff you don't need thats cosmetic... that can be earned in game...

/facepalm.

Honestly though, they need to MAKE MONEY and cosmetics is ultimately something that most players (myself included) would be most willing to sacrifice for the sake of not tarnishing normal gameplay.

Yes I agree Cosmetics are a way to make moeny in Online MMO's even the creators/merchants of Second Life who create content make money through selling virtual item-shop items so to speak.

The problem however is the way most MMO's go about it for example I just spent $20 in Rift to buy a mount, set of armor, and weapon skin which I thought I could put on my character for free, everything works fine except for the weapon skin  I can't use without spending more and more money to edit the weapon each time and that is what kills it for me makes me not want to give them another cent.

You see, I like Aion, and Lineage 2 as well, but after they went F2P they did the same thing but worse than Rift they started selling cosmetic items, charging insane amounts for cosmetic changes just to change your hair you have to spend insane amounts of money like $5 at least every time you want to make a little change that isn't my style of game sure they need to make money, and I do not mind spending for actual content such as a Robe I like for my mage, or Rare Dyes that are account unlocks and such but its when they get greedy that I quit and say forget this game.

To me Customization of MMO characters is part of the Actual RP, and Game-Play, only time I would disagree is back in the day when games were 2D, and didn't offer any customization, but this since 2001 when Second Life came out and all these game engines that allow it Things have changed, MMO's should give players all main aspects of the game for free including unlimited cosmetic changes, but require players to unlock the actual content for a one time fee per item, or package and then they can change as much as they want  this is the type of MMO I wait for who knows Rift might be like that if they just make weapon skins work like wardrobe.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

You're boycotting the game because you can't customize the look of your level 6 weapon for free?

... yeah. I can't say much about that which wouldn't get me permabanned. I mean seriously? "I can't customize my low level weapon for free whenever I want to, so I'm going to boycott and badmouth this game! Even though I have access to all quests, zones, raids, and levels of equipment, MY LEVEL 6 SWORD MUST LOOK BADASS!!"

Unbelievable how entitled people are these days. Block function, ahoy!

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Seriously. This really calls for one of those "not sure if trolling, or overly entitled" images. But I can't be bothered to find one, alas.
  • pipbritpipbrit Member Posts: 4

Hey It's me again from the Rift forums. I'm level 60 and here's what I did with the store and wardrobe. I'm post 55 with the pic.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/364065-cash-shop-misleading-4.html#post4299054

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

I wouldn't consider Rift Pay 2 Win if the complaint about Pay 2 Win is because players can buy gear sets from the cash shop at level 60 without having to run a dungeon, then that in my opinion is an invalid debate because Pay 2 Win in my book specify having an advantage that no others can get without paying Real Life Money, I mean after all if you are going to do nothing to spend money to pay your way through a game completely why even play.

However my Debate with Rift, is Pay 2 Enjoy, I put in $20 to the game just recently and I found out that I had to pay extra money just to change the skin on my weapon each time 180 Green Gems and I was like what the when I purchased the item and it didn't say anything about this on the description so I figured it worked via wardrobe too but it didn't.

Also I have no complaint about the DYE system however I would like if that were fixed like Guild Wars 2 with one time unlocks.

For this reason I have already quit the game at level 6 because I have to spend 180 Green Gems every time I want to customize my weapon so that means if I buy the skin at level 1 I have to pay a insane amount of real life cash every time I change my Staff  Its stupid.

Now the developers can't lie to me and tell me they can't change this because they can either make it part of the Wardrobe or make the item 100% free in cash shop, or 100% free to those who have purchased from the cash shop on a Reward but unlimited times for 0 Green Gems.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/364065-cash-shop-misleading.html#post4296763

Here is the debate on their forum I pretty much politely gave it to them, I am not playing Rift, and my official review based on 1 hour of playing it in multi-box with DarkFall is Pay 2 Enjoy, I haven't really seen any Pay 2 Win elements yet.

Do I recommend the game, If you don't care like some people don't about how your character looks you mite like it, but Personally I do not recommend it Personally I am not playing it until it is changed, and it was a waste of my money unless they are going to give me what I was lead into believe I was paying for.

well like they said in the post, you were not mislead you just didnt understand what you were doing and instead of fiinding out first you made the mistake of assumption maybe next time check out how things work before you do it wrong.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

You don't understand what you are talking about, nor do you understand anything about the cash shop model.    In other words, you are exactly the type of consumer that Trion was hoping to attract, and the reason why the game went the P2W route. 

I shall welcome you to the light.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

Come on, this has to be a Troll, no-one quits a game because they can't customize the weapon skins at lvl 6 in a game with 60 levels.  image

Heck by level 20 in Rift you probably go through 25-30 weapons. 

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Troll or worse. This expectation for meaningless fluff in the place of real content is influencing development (in general, not threads like this). This kind of attitude is damaging and people with this attitude should really just take a long break from gaming. If trolling then = weirdo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Wylf

Come on, this has to be a Troll, no-one quits a game because they can't customize the weapon skins at lvl 6 in a game with 60 levels.  image

Heck by level 20 in Rift you probably go through 25-30 weapons. 

Nope it is no Troll I played Rift during Closed Beta, and played Rift Trial, I never purchased the game because I feel the character customization options before they added cash shop were complete crap, I returned when it went F2P to check it out because of some of my friends from the guild were also trying the game out, I saw they had a cash shop allowed me to freely customize my avatar/character the way I wanted, so I put in $20 to buy items then find out about the weapon issue, with missing tool-tips.

The developers said to file a ticket to support and ask for a refund I already sent  a ticket In I believe before I even posted.

They also said they were updating Tool-Tips for future players who buy the weapon skins so they know that they have to buy the transmute stones.

Yes I would quit a game if I couldn't have the ability to fully customize my character whenever, in fact I have quit a number of games because of this and I will list them.

Lineage 2, When L2 went F2P and besides my account getting compromised I would have quit because of the cash shop anyways.

Aion, Another game I enjoyed I have a collectors edition, I quit because of plastic surgery tickets.

APB Reloaded, I quit because of Gamers First restricting character customization to very little and making it pay 2 enjoy with weapon restrictions/rentals.

TERA, I quit because of character customization as well I got to like level 30 or so I think basically when I bought the game I thought I got the full game full unlimited customization with my subscription when it was Pay 2 Play, but I didn't so I quit after complaining about it and they wouldn't fix of course now the game is F2P I have checked the game out and it still the same way and same UI bug I reported when it first came out so I am not playing. ( Yes I do have a collectors edition of TERA)

There are a number of games I have quit all for similar reasons, while maybe most people are not as picky as I am about it I Have my reasons to why I personally will not stay around in a game that should offer this for Free especially to users who have purchased items from the cash-shop it should be FREE  to customize unlimited times aka you shouldn't have to pay anything and should work just like wardrobe does with armor.

The only game I have ever played that I will leave installed and continue to play although I don't like the game much for other reasons is Guild Wars 2 because its a Truly Free 2 Play, I don't have to pay a dime for weapon customizations, they give me lots of transmute stones form doing map completions, or I can just exchange gold, and i basically don't have to spend but 2 minutes and I have enough gold to exchange for gems to buy any item I wan't. GW2 offers great customization, and the Snapshot's I showed in the other post is why I am personally picky about customization, I don't just play a game for the Quests, or Story, I play for good realistic characters that make me feel like I am that person there, otherwise why bother spending $400 for a good graphics card.

Also out of every game I have played Developers never listen to consumers when you suggest or want something done, look at Never Winter, and Perfect World lots of us wanted a wipe because of cheaters they didn't wipe.

http://imgur.com/yaauQXB Here is proof that I am not trolling  Ireally did buy an armor set at level 1 actually, didn't finish the customization/mix match however, and proof that I actually spent money as I claim, I am dead serious about this and not trolling I wouldn't troll for the laughs over something like this.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Look, you are simply not going to be pleased...about anything...ever.  Go ahead and boycott the game.  No, one...and i mean no one, cares one bit about your tantrum on the Rift forums or these forums.  Write your extremely influential and self-important blogs that no one will read, and move it on along.  
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I don't know man,I'm not going to sit here and call you a troll.At the same time I haven't played a single mmo where I felt I wanted to use the the same weapon skin from lvl 6 on.I mean wth?

If this is your only real gripe with the game,you need to ask yourself,is it the game that's the problem,or is it you?

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Why would you not?

yoou showed a picture of GW2. Let me remind you that GW2 also has weapon skins on the cash shop, and the items to change skins for another weapon while keeping the same stats are also cash shop items (transmogrification?) something like that. What you can collect and freely change at any time in GW2 are the Dyes. I do not have a problem with that in Rift either. You play for free, the cash shop lets you reskin your weapon. Every f2p mmo that offers skin changes is through cash shop.

Offtopic: what game is that one of the kitty kat screenshot? the third one.

Originally posted by rojo6934

Why would you not?

yoou showed a picture of GW2. Let me remind you that GW2 also has weapon skins on the cash shop, and the items to change skins for another weapon while keeping the same stats are also cash shop items (transmogrification?) something like that. What you can collect and freely change at any time in GW2 are the Dyes. I do not have a problem with that in Rift either. You play for free, the cash shop lets you reskin your weapon. Every f2p mmo that offers skin changes is through cash shop.

Offtopic: what game is that one of the kitty kat screenshot? the third one.

Well I can collect Transmute stones at level One in GuildWars 2 if I wanted just by completion of a city map quest, in Rift I went from 1-6 Couldn't do this and got nothing but regular quest items.

There is a major difference between GW2 Cash Shop, and Rift from what I can see  in GW2, I can immediately sell items on the market for gold, and then immediately use that to turn it into gems so I don't have to pay anything, in Rift I do not see this option there might be an option for trading the gems or cash-shop currency with other players but then again I bet it takes longer than GW2 to do.

Then again what is the point of Rift even offering a wardrobe option for armor if they are not going to offer it for weapon skins as well to me it just doesn't make any sense.

OFF -Topic

The Kitty kat picture is from Second Life, before the account was hacked by a group of griefers due to Linden Lab's fail security, my password as very secure not used anywhere, my system was clean, but there are numerous ways  and things Linden Lab also does to compromise players accounts I have their own employee on Recording making mistakes on other players accounts due to Troll phone calls, yeah its pathetic, I quit that game after my inventory of over 50k Items and hundreds of dollars of assets deleted just not the game for me, although it wasn't a complete loss all the merchants who actually develop content there were quite helpful, I made enemies with the goons in Second Life, which NoR and other Role-Play simulators in Second Life support their griefing of merchants, I blew the lid off that one with tons of snap-shots proving the griefing that went on from their simulators on my account, and admin admitting to not caring about the game or its community as a whole, it is Stupid Linden Lab will not do anything about the land owners who allow griefers to use their sim to CopyBot others but then again only the person doing it gets into trouble if they get caught.

Basically the problem with Linden Lab, is how easy it is to obtain a persons Real Life name, Address, Email, Phone Number, for example my friend and I used PayPal, and when you send money to someone it gives you their RL name, and so my friend has my Email & Name, and also knows where I live, there are also many other ways to get this like if people share on face-book and such, but the problem is that you Prank-Call a company tell them you forget your secret question, and give them all the info of the other persons you know to play like its them, and some Linden Employee are stupid enough to fall for this not sure if that might have been the case with my account but I know its happened and I made it perfectly clear if the person doesn't know the secret question its not me, require a court-order to unlock or reset the account and had that attached to the file just to be safe because there is no way I will forget my secret question and no its not simple not just a name, or anything multiple names, and numbers.

I will actually return to the game if Linden Lab ever Fixes Second Life, I miss Second Life for what it used to be back in 2008-2009, but to be honest a lot of the community in Second Life between those two years has changed, or is gone due to griefers, and botters so there wasn't much left there for me. I think its very pathetic how people in Second Life two merchants who work hard to create content worked with the same griefers who compromised the account, which were also friends with the admins of NoR aka Norians, and how I got the info from the merchants, I did some griefing myself made some in game threats(Not Real Life Threats.) and they told me exactly what they did and who it was its not like I didn't know anyways of course I never did anything because I am against cheating online games, but I have, and had the tools to ban evade, and grief them as well.

Second Life in general in Not  secure, Linden Lab also admits on their wiki that they can't be responsible for TPV developers meaning that anyone who uses any Third Party Viewer, it may contain a keylogger that can compromise your account, I have asked LL to add IP Verification a few times, but they closed the Jira report, and said they would foward it to their development team and nothing gets done another point where companies don't listen. Basically IP verification is like Guild Wars 2 uses when you try to login to provide extra security in-case someones password becomes compromised because of a viewer keylogger.

Read the warning on it in red at the top of the wiki, Linden Lab told me on phone support too they can't verify all TPV's or information it shares, there is even a videos on the internet showing people Brute-Forcing players accounts.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

This discussion has been closed.