Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division IGN Article : Inside the MMORPG Shooter

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/10/the-division-inside-the-tom-clancy-mmo-shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvbZfsvt2bE - Interview with Devs at E3 Talks about skills

- Ubisoft Massive, a studio using its own Snowdrop engine specifically built for The Division

- Coming 2014

- Lighter game than WoW

- On the action side of things, Polfeldt calls The Division a “light shooter,” an RPG that makes you “work for it” without the inconvenience of under-the-hood die rolls

- The Division is also deliberately unforgiving in its difficulty -- skilled players can come out of tough scenarios unscathed, but it won’t scale to accommodate someone silly enough to brave a bad situation by themselves.

- No classes

- Will have progress through skill trees

- Respec on the fly and jump between custom-built classes

- It will have an end game

- Enemy players can take your weapons and items unless extracted in time

- Extraction sets timer and reveals your location via flare to other players on map

- Group Size 4 players + Drone

- Has Group Finder (Match making system)

- Food are consumable buffs

- Role Playing Game First and Formost

- Not all areas will be PvP zones

- The Division also draws from the hardcore survivalism of Day Z or The Last of Us

- When your sleeper agent awakens, their belongings include just three days of food, water, and supplies. After that, you’re on your own for ammo and weapons, scouring logical locations for the right things

- The Division introduces another element to make matters worse for you and whatever crew you decide to roll with (Alignment depends on your actions)

- The Division has a companion app

- Players using their mobile devices can control drones to spot enemies and assess a combat situation. That drone has its own distinct upgrade progression, too.

- Polfeldt, a recent victim of a Skyrim obsession, aims to drive players to explore, discover, and take in a different kind of shooter in ways console gamers aren’t used to. Gadgets, stealth, upgrades, and a persistent multiplayer world

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Bump. This hasnt come out yet but to me it already just raised the standard to a new level for the mmo genre
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Sounds pretty darn cool

but then again, a lot of things seem like they are great on paper

Will wait and see but I'm definitely putting the game on my watch list

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Sounds legit.  I like the focus on the RPG side of things and the survivalism nod from games like DayZ.

Could actually end up being a lot of fun.  Never really been fond of shooter MMOs because they're just massive .. shooters.  No depth that you typically look for in an MMO.  This might change the pace.

Serious question, though.  If you can respec at the touch of a button on the fly.. why have specialization in the first place?  Might as well just leave the skill system totally open.  /shrug

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Bump. This hasnt come out yet but to me it already just raised the standard to a new level for the mmo genre

Just watched the gameplay demo from E3. Everything about it looks amazing. The models, animations even the frigging virtual map.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Just watched the gameplay demo from E3. Everything about it looks amazing. The models, animations even the frigging virtual map.

The players that was chatting with each other made it look more immersive too, at first i thought it was voice acting by the characters lol.

Bump. Updated Info
    Originally posted by djazzy

Sounds pretty darn cool

but then again, a lot of things seem like they are great on paper

Will wait and see but I'm definitely putting the game on my watch list

Well a lot of its features was shown on the gameplay vid so its not just ideas on paper.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

How well do consoles shield games from bots?  It seems to me that an aim bot would wreck a game like this pretty fast.

What is the long term progression?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by maplestone

How well do consoles shield games from bots?  It seems to me that an aim bot would wreck a game like this pretty fast.

What is the long term progression?

Aim bots are substantially tougher to have on consoles, but I won't say its completely impossible, I've heard of people using aimbots in console shooters before, but I've also heard of bannings for aimbots too.

I guess it would depend on how easy it would be to hack the new consoles,  but I honestly wouldn't worry about botting.  If any kind of "botting" will happen, it would be macro'able keyboards running recursively.. but I don't think we'll see that kind of farming on a game like this.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    This is definitely the best game at E3 this year. How the server randomly assigns groups to the same instance and how these instances are actually seamless to zone into sounds like a really great idea. It allows for a massive seamless world without overcrowding which fits the survivalist aspect of the game. I wish DayZ had similar technology behind it.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Interesting stuff..

These are the best parts about next-gen systems dropping are the games that are also meant to push the envelope. I hope things pan out for them Ubisofts got a lot of games on the table right now for next-gen. let's see if they can keep their forcus and get these games out as planned.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by redcapp

Serious question, though.  If you can respec at the touch of a button on the fly.. why have specialization in the first place?  Might as well just leave the skill system totally open.  /shrug

So you constrained the choices to create more trade-offs?