Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: "We have a console for people without internet, it's called a 360"

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Nadia

I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol
    hope thats not right -- i have no problem using a usb stick or micro sd card between PS3 and PC
    I have tried on multiple occasions to get some Madden NFL highlights onto a flash stick to my computer, to no avail...I insert the stick, have X-Box format it, copy the files, and when I plug it into my PC, nothing shows up on the stick. I know I am missing something, but have no clue as to what it may be :)
    may have no effectbut have the PC format it - then let xbox copy to it,  then use on PC
    That's the kicker. I did that the very first time I tried, and subsequent times after, to no avail. As soon as I plug the PC formatted stick into the X-Box, it wants to format "this unformatted drive." And they are both MS products :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by mikehuff2000
    Okay people if you can afford a $500.00 console than you can afford a $50.00 wireless N router so there is no excuse that you don't have internet in that room. As far as the ship sinking the only one that has done that was Nintendo with Wii U. Now if you are going to bitch on here that you don't have internet guess what ... prepare to get your mind blown ... you need internet to post on here, so BOOM!!!! 

And yet I would welcome a Wii U into my home before I would allow an XBone in it... weird.

• ClawhammerClawhammer Member Posts: 16

they are a bunch of idiot clowns, they want everybody to be forced to be online 24/7/365.

Sorry MicroSnot i llways turn OFF the power on my pc when i go to sleep or are not home for wacations.

I dont like to waste money on stuff i DONT use for days, and i dont give a rats ass about that i have to be online within 30 days....

Its like the people who get problems with their inet connections, last time i moved to another apartment i had to wait for 7 weeks to get online again !!!  M$ did not think og that or did they ?

either way im not buying any consoles so that a company like MicroSnot can force me to sill a lot of money on my electrical bill.

up if i use up to like 70 DKK ill see an electrical bill full of taxes both on the coal emissions and taxes on it all end costing me allmost 10 times as that of my consumption. ca.680.DKK.

sorry MicroSnot im not buying any of your consoles, you have a bad attitude towards potential buyers of XBOX.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It turns out the optimal internet connection speed for the Xbone is 1.5Mbs.

So it's not just that an internet connection is needed, it has to be 1.5Mbs for single player games to function. Single player games that do not need any sort of internet connectivity.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/can-your-network-handle-the-optimal-xbox-one-experience/

So, ignoring all the "people without internet" scenarios, what happens when someone with DSL wants to use the Xbone, and someone else in the house wants to watch Netflix?

And before people jump in with the fact that it only checks in once a day (which is does), the extra connectivity is for the iPad interfaces and cell phone mini map interfaces that are apparently a thing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    While I commend Microsoft for being proactive about the whole online thing, going whole hog when there are still some major kinks to work out is not going to win them many fans, especially among the console gamer crowd. It's barely tolerated amongst the PC gamer crowd, and even then only with very specific styles of games. Steam gets away with it because they are dirt cheap, and playing offline is possible, if not optimal. Blizzard, EA, and a few other big names can get away with it with well established IPs because they have rabid fanbases. Very few other developers in the single player PC game market could get away with it, and the same is going to be true for the console market; a few big names will pull it off despite the grouching, but most will quickly learn that the market is not ready for the full blown digital, online only experience for every single game being produced. Especially considering that console games are typically more short lived than most PC games, draconian DRM policies will likely hurt consoles even more than they have PCs. Requiring it as an absolute must have simply to play any and all games is a bit more of a step than the market is really ready for; both Steam and Sony seem to recognize this, and have not taken that final step for a reason. Sony gives developers the option, but ultimately the decision or whether or not  to use it lies solely with the developer whether or not to actually utilize it on the specific games they are developing. Some games will be no brainers to include it; other single player and/or casual games don't need it and could be significantly hurt by it. Likewise, Steam does allow for offline play; it's far from optimal, and not all that easy, but it is an option for those who can't or simply don't want to worry about the online aspects when playing a single player game.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Caldrin

What if someone had internet access.. but then for whatever reason got cut off.. maybe the lines to their street melted, they could not afford it or whatever..

The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days. I dont care too much as I dont play games on colnsoles but its utterly wrong for them to put this kind of system in place..

Saying that I am sure it wont be long before someone hacks the system

I had more power outages this past year than internet outages.....therefore had I owned a Xbox one, and PS4, they would have been unusable for just as long.

LOL really did you just say that.. I think you might be missing the entire point buy hey ho..

I get the "point", im just saying "internet outages" are less common than power outages, at least in my city....

One of us clearly missed the point...

Im not saying MS isnt retarded for what they are doing with XBone, but outrage at the stuff that requires outrage (such as not being bale to lend your games to a friend more than once, not ebing able to resell your games, kenect always on etc), but if you are outraged because somene might have an temporary internet outage, when they happen less than power outages, you need to realign your outrage...

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    I love it. Just makes the decision to NOT buy the XBOX One that much easier.

I heard that speculation was that Sony were the ones to offer Online play only, instead it's the Microsoft? It may be 2013, but it's still not time for ONLINE only. What if I decide to go to a cabin in the woods where there is no cell reception or even an internet connection? Then what? What if my connections dies while I am posted in front of my television for hours trying to decimate the new release in my console like everyone else? I would have to wait for repairs while everyone else is enjoying the game just because their connection is intact? What is Microsoft thinking? There are so many reason that may restrict internet access, and therefore restrict you from being able to enjoy their new console. My vote, PS4. It's cheaper and their not forcing these pointless features down your throat because they want to move outside of gaming and lean towards "entertainment." The world is not yet ready. It is not the time for this.

Sony just won the battle of the consoles at E3, but can it win the war? Online Only? Most likely?

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

The silly thing is that many people also gave Microsoft a second chance.

As opposed to the people who have given Sony a second third and forth chance?

Do people just forget that they KNEW about a security flaw in the PSN and did nothing about it until it was hacked and millions of credit card data and other information was stolen?

Do they forget that they then didn't tell people for 2 weeks after it happened giving criminals time to use that information instead of giving the victims time to protect themselves?

Do they forget that right as the announcement about the PSN hack came out Sony got hacked again with more information stolen?

Maybe in a discussion of Xbox vs Playstation second chances aren't the best topic to make Playstation look better.

Arent companies supossed to get better?, if they make stupid mistakes then learn from them? i hope Sony learned from that crap that got them hacked, but that doesnt mean i have to fall again from another crap now brought by Microsoft. I know ill get my ps4 and IF i decide to stay with xbox live it will be on my current 360 aside from my ps4 of course. If you and I are competing and you make a horrible mistake, i will not make a horrible mistake just because your fans gave you a second chance and my fans might do it too.

My point is in a thread where people are saying that the PS4 is a better choice, using one of those reasons as Microsoft made a mistake and therefore shouldn't be given another one is a crazy remark because Sony has made far worse mistakes and people are suggesting giving them another shot.

Also companies are supposed to get better, that is why it was so shocking that Sony left vulnerabilities in their other sites after the PSN hack suggesting that they clearly didn't care enough about any of their users' information to learn from their mistakes.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't like Microsoft that much and find some of their policies to be ridiculous. However, being logged in to use stuff is where the entire software industry is headed and a big reason for that is piracy. Blame the people who continue to steal software/movies/music as to why you will continue to face tougher restrictions.

Most people truly will never care about the always logged in style of the Xbox. This has already been proven with Steam continuing to do well as it implements the same policies. It is where the future of stuff is headed. We're also headed toward a future where people don't buy software, but instead rent it (which also requires people to be logged in to show they have a valid account) which you can see with Adobe and Microsoft products (among other companies). The few people who really care will try to fight it but eventually have to accept it as the majority is ok with it happening.

I highly dislike F2P MMO gaming. I can protest and shout from the hills if I want, but so many people are for it that it is happening and will continue to happen just like logged in to use software.

You do not need to always be on to play steam games.  Any single player game can be played offline.  Please learn how steam works before you use it as an example.   

False.  It doesn't work if you do not have your credentials saved and have previously logged in with them that way from that PC.  I know this from being on vacation in Costa Rica and not being able to play any of my Steam titles.  So it's not like I can just put any Steam game on my computer, DC from the internet, and play at my leisure.  There's DRM there whether it's always on or not.

Steam: Neph

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

False.  It doesn't work if you do not have your credentials saved and have previously logged in with them that way from that PC.  I know this from being on vacation in Costa Rica and not being able to play any of my Steam titles.  So it's not like I can just put any Steam game on my computer, DC from the internet, and play at my leisure.  There's DRM there whether it's always on or not.

Um, What? If I take my laptop any where I will be able to play steam games offline.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    They have gotten sick of shooting themselves in the foot. now they are working up the knees towards the head.

Nicely put. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    My conspiracy theory today is that Microsoft secretly took over Sony (it's a big, big secret, shhhhhh), and they are purposely sabotaging their more expensive console to make us choose their cheaper console.  It's brilliant! 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A#!

lol, they're insane

Insane? Not really. Arrogant? Very.  The Evil that lurks in Redmond has had things its own way for so long, that its become much like Mordor on the Potomac.   As much as I dislike Sony, if they play this right, they can deal a serious blow to Mickysofts market share in the console market.  Only time will tell how this works out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Oh they will sell the xbox one, but they just shot their left leg off.
    Most polls with thousands of votes show that lots of xbox players will making a switch to Sony.
    But there are also people that dont wanne risk losing their friend lists.

In the end i think Sony sales will explode and Microsoft needs years to recover from that blow.

All speculation offcourse, but shit just got real and Sony took a massive advantage in any players who dint made up their mind yet of what console to get 1st.
    It made it alot easier for those guys.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

have the PC format it - then let xbox copy to it,  then use on PC

That's the kicker. I did that the very first time I tried, and subsequent times after, to no avail. As soon as I plug the PC formatted stick into the X-Box, it wants to format "this unformatted drive." And they are both MS products :)

this help?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

I'm getting a "Can't Configure" message. What does this mean?

Your USB storage device is not working correctly and can’t be used to store Xbox 360 content. Replace your USB storage device with one that meets the USB minimum requirements:

• Minimum 1-GB storage capacity
    • Windows FAT32 file system format

Note If the device was formatted in Windows using FAT16 or NTFS, you might be able to reformat it in Windows using FAT32. Macintosh and Linux formats do not work.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4317/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzcxMTQxNDAwL3NpZC9PTjQ3U0VzbA%3D%3D

USB flash drive does NOT work on an Xbox 360

My USB flash drive works fine on my PC, but why doesn't it work on my Xbox 360?

Performance warning
    If the USB flash drive is configured, but a performance warning is displayed, it's due to the Xbox 360 requiring a higher level of sustained performance than most PC uses.

NOT detected
    If the USB flash drive does NOT work at all or it failed the Xbox 360 integrity check then there may be a problem with the flash drive. Try a different USB port on the Xbox console.

NOTE: Only 2 USB flash drives can be plugged in at any time on an Xbox console.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

It's sad to see so many players willing to relinquish what little control they have over physical media that has been legally purchased. I for one will not be giving up my ability to control my money so quickly. What's really hypocritical about the whole thing is that MS could care less about music media, movie media, TV media. Rent, borrow and steal those things all you want, just not our games...

I already have so much data collected on me when I use my cell phone. I don't want more being collected about me when I do something as casual as playing a video game. But with the X1 (strike one) system I'll have everything monitored from what TV shows I watch to how many people are at my house. Throughout video game history every system that have ever been released has seem to get something wrong on the third try whether it's price, format or something else:

Nintendo: NES(ok)--->SNES(ok)--->N64(weak)(format)

Sega: SMS(ok)--->GEN(ok)--->SAT(weak)(price)

Sony: PS(ok)--->PS2(ok)--->PS3(weak)(price)

Microsoft: XBOX(ok)--->360(ok)--->X1(weak)(both)

I have no doubts that MS and Strike One will eventually do very well (just as Sony and PS3 has bounced back), but it won't be before some changes are made and jobs are lost. Eventually X1 too will bounce back from damnation and this is when I will buy one for myself. Hey! I am a gamer at heart. I just hope the eventual death of their cloud service in 15-20 years won't mean the death of the system itself because of the anchor of having to always be connected. I have an extensive collection of old systems dating back to my original NES and SMS. What's nice about having that is I always have the option of dusting them off, blowing a few carts and firing them up again. I just hope the X1 doesn't become my first disappointment in this experience.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

It's sad to see so many players willing to relinquish what little control they have over physical media that has been legally purchased. I for one will not be giving up my ability to control my money so quickly. What's really hypocritical about the whole thing is that MS could care less about music media, movie media, TV media. Rent, borrow and steal those things all you want, just not our games...

I already have so much data collected on me when I use my cell phone. I don't want more being collected about me when I do something as casual as playing a video game. But with the X1 (strike one) system I'll have everything monitored from what TV shows I watch to how many people are at my house. Throughout video game history every system that have ever been released has seem to get something wrong on the third try whether it's price, format or something else:

Nintendo: NES(ok)--->SNES(ok)--->N64(weak)(format)

Sega: SMS(ok)--->GEN(ok)--->SAT(weak)(price)

Sony: PS(ok)--->PS2(ok)--->PS3(weak)(price)

Microsoft: XBOX(ok)--->360(ok)--->X1(weak)(both)

I have no doubts that MS and Strike One will eventually do very well (just as Sony and PS3 has bounced back), but it won't be before some changes are made and jobs are lost. Eventually X1 too will bounce back from damnation and this is when I will buy one for myself. Hey! I am a gamer at heart. I just hope the eventual death of their cloud service in 15-20 years won't mean the death of the system itself because of the anchor of having to always be connected. I have an extensive collection of old systems dating back to my original NES and SMS. What's nice about having that is I always have the option of dusting them off, blowing a few carts and firing them up again. I just hope the X1 doesn't become my first disappointment in this experience.

Great post with valid points as to why it's bad..

Another thing is the fact that they want to be able to control your access to the game if you have too many people in a room. What's oh so silly about that is the fact that gaming has always been a type of social event.

I can't count the times I've gathered with friends to play simple games like Mario Party. This hurts people who like to have friends over for gaming sessions and the like. Microsoft has this vision that we gather together to play games so that we don't have to buy a copy for all in our group. When in fact its to come together to enjoy the game with likeminded folks.

There is so much backwards thinking with their policies surrounding their new system.

Bad business is bad business and Microsoft XBox One is of the worst kind of bad business

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you are living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

I have neighbors just down my road.... less than a mile away.... Who have no internet at all. Dail-up isn't an option because AT&T actually forbids anyone using dail-up because they say the phone cable is so old it isn't "certified" for data use. Can you believe that hogwash? (Phone Co. told me same btw, it's not just them)

No Cable TV for Internet option, No Radio WAN like I have because of topography of the land (no LOS to Towers), no cell phone (same, no LOS), no "internet over power line", etc. All they have is land line Telephone. They could do satellite for internet (they have SAT TV), but they tried that and said trying to play an online game over that was pingtime torture.

So, Sir or Madam, whatever the case may be, please be advised that right here in the good old US of A there are indeed places in fairly populated areas where there is little or no internet for online gaming available. When someone says everywhere in the Continental USA has at least decent Internet tell them they are grossly misinformed.

Oh, and we live LESS THAN 15 miles from a major city in our State. Avoid Michigan at all costs.

(could they move? could I move? Sure.... but who would want to buy our homes with our upside down mortgages and only satellite internet?)

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48

Sony has announced today that publishers of online games can decide if they want to use the PlayStation Network or not.

In fact, Sony is NOT going to have their MMO's play over the PSN (including DC Universe Online and Planetside 2, among others), keeping them F2P for console players too.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by mikehuff2000
    Okay people if you can afford a $500.00 console than you can afford a $50.00 wireless N router so there is no excuse that you don't have internet in that room. As far as the ship sinking the only one that has done that was Nintendo with Wii U. Now if you are going to bitch on here that you don't have internet guess what ... prepare to get your mind blown ... you need internet to post on here, so BOOM!!!! 

Firstly, wireless N router is not $50. It is closer to $80 or 100 at least.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with money, but the fact that you need to be online to play it, which most people dont. Consoles are for entertainment, not serious gaming. Entertainment is what you do when you have a gathering and bring your XBox over to your friends house for those that don't play poker so people won't be bored.

And if they require internet for that, I think that defeats the purpose of a gaming console.

Thirdly, 1 post record. I suspect you are a Microsoft shill trying to argue with gamers. Listen. Take advice. Don't argue with people who feed you.

Originally posted by lizardbones

lol that's a lot of countries excluded :P

Most smaller second to third world countries do not have 1.5mbs infrastructure - hell even some first world does not.

So they are planning to target US market only now? lol

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    "I have a company for the next gen console I plan on buying, it's called Sony."
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Most smaller second to third world countries do not have 1.5mbs infrastructure - hell even some first world does not.

Don't you mean european countries like Romania or asian ones like South Korea... pretty sure while the situation is improving the US still has dial up level speeds as average with some zones having no internet at all... in comparison in Romania you can get satelite/wireless internet even on the tip of a bloody mountain.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Don't you mean european countries like Romania or asian ones like South Korea... pretty sure while the situation is improving the US still has dial up level speeds as average with some zones having no internet at all... in comparison in Romania you can get satelite/wireless internet even on the tip of a bloody mountain.

Microsoft is trying to make their Xbox One very trendy and "niche", obviously :P

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

Do people just forget that they KNEW about a security flaw in the PSN and did nothing about it until it was hacked and millions of credit card data and other information was stolen?

Do they forget that they then didn't tell people for 2 weeks after it happened giving criminals time to use that information instead of giving the victims time to protect themselves?

Do they forget that right as the announcement about the PSN hack came out Sony got hacked again with more information stolen?

Maybe in a discussion of Xbox vs Playstation second chances aren't the best topic to make Playstation look better.

Arent companies supossed to get better?, if they make stupid mistakes then learn from them? i hope Sony learned from that crap that got them hacked, but that doesnt mean i have to fall again from another crap now brought by Microsoft. I know ill get my ps4 and IF i decide to stay with xbox live it will be on my current 360 aside from my ps4 of course. If you and I are competing and you make a horrible mistake, i will not make a horrible mistake just because your fans gave you a second chance and my fans might do it too.

My point is in a thread where people are saying that the PS4 is a better choice, using one of those reasons as Microsoft made a mistake and therefore shouldn't be given another one is a crazy remark because Sony has made far worse mistakes and people are suggesting giving them another shot.

Also companies are supposed to get better, that is why it was so shocking that Sony left vulnerabilities in their other sites after the PSN hack suggesting that they clearly didn't care enough about any of their users' information to learn from their mistakes.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't like Microsoft that much and find some of their policies to be ridiculous. However, being logged in to use stuff is where the entire software industry is headed and a big reason for that is piracy. Blame the people who continue to steal software/movies/music as to why you will continue to face tougher restrictions.

Most people truly will never care about the always logged in style of the Xbox. This has already been proven with Steam continuing to do well as it implements the same policies. It is where the future of stuff is headed. We're also headed toward a future where people don't buy software, but instead rent it (which also requires people to be logged in to show they have a valid account) which you can see with Adobe and Microsoft products (among other companies). The few people who really care will try to fight it but eventually have to accept it as the majority is ok with it happening.

I highly dislike F2P MMO gaming. I can protest and shout from the hills if I want, but so many people are for it that it is happening and will continue to happen just like logged in to use software.

You do not need to always be on to play steam games.  Any single player game can be played offline.  Please learn how steam works before you use it as an example.   

So it takes 5 minutes of internet once to get Steam games to work vs regular checks every 24 hours. Steam isn't a valid comparison in this respect because while they do have DRM, the degree of it is nowhere near what Microsoft is trying to implement. Once you set it, the only reason you absolutely need the internet is to change the basic setting; there are still times and places that it won't work, but finding 5 minutes worth of basic internet access is nowhere near the challenges of maintaining an "always connected to broadband" connection that XB1 sounds like is going to be required.

Originally posted by sunshadow21
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

So it takes 5 minutes of internet once to get Steam games to work vs regular checks every 24 hours. Steam isn't a valid comparison in this respect because while they do have DRM, the degree of it is nowhere near what Microsoft is trying to implement. Once you set it, the only reason you absolutely need the internet is to change the basic setting; there are still times and places that it won't work, but finding 5 minutes worth of basic internet access is nowhere near the challenges of maintaining an "always connected to broadband" connection that XB1 sounds like is going to be required.

^ This and also, Steam gamers are PC gamers. When was the last time someone unplug their PC from internet? lol.

Can't compare console with PC. Console is a fun & casual device and PC is a "serious business" device - even when you play games on it it is serious business. :P