Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Combat Classes

DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

Do you think we will see any completely non combat classes like entertainer, politician, architect, etc ala star wars galaxies?

This is one area that could set EQN apart from other mmos. All they pretty much have to do is copy that specific element directly from SWG and instantly they will be different than any other game out there at the moment.

Right now there are sandbox games with plenty of non combat gameplay options, but they're all kind of faking it since you usually have to play as a combat role to level or get access to those features.

Comments

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    I think this is essential.

I picture builders creating cities with huge structures that must be protected from player enemies.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I would be absolutely thrilled to be able to play full time as a class/profession/archetype/whatever where I didn't have to kill anything and could still play it meaningfully as a main character.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think an MMO needs to have non-combat class in order for it to feel like a living, virtual world.

Without those classes the it is no more than a hash n slash game with levels, which unfortunately most mmo today are stuck in.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

I really hope so. While I don't want to see crafting get as deep as Mortal Online, the level of SWG was nice where you could master at least one crafting profession while mastering another like entertainer or combat. if you wanted

I would love to see Bards become kind of like entertainers where they are needed for out-of-combat wound recovery. It could really put taverns and such to good use.  Maybe even add the ability to build customizable taverns alongside roads that can heal wounds but attract bandits/robbers after a long period of being constructed and are destroyed if left alone too long, giving the opportunity for other bards to start their own taverns.

Aside from the basic cooking, armor/weaponsmithing, alchemy, spellcrafting, etc I would like to see architecture, farming, siege crafting, ranching (mount and beast master pet breeding), diplomacy/politics, and other unique skillsets added in some way or another.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Actually I hope they´ll add space ships to EQ Next, then rename it to SWG 2 ;)
  • Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Actually I hope they´ll add space ships to EQ Next, then rename it to SWG 2 ;)

Gnome engineering?

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Hopefully they will design the game to cater for non-combat roles.

E.g. have mobs spawn away from towns and roads, so you have to actually go and hunt for them. Not like wow where your dripping over millions of random spawns (which tbh I always through was dumb).

I'm hoping this game will bring back the TRUE mmorpg. Not the 100s of wow-like clones we keep getting, which give you no freedom what so ever.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Dudehog

Do you think we will see any completely non combat classes like entertainer, politician, architect, etc ala star wars galaxies?

This is one area that could set EQN apart from other mmos. All they pretty much have to do is copy that specific element directly from SWG and instantly they will be different than any other game out there at the moment.

Right now there are sandbox games with plenty of non combat gameplay options, but they're all kind of faking it since you usually have to play as a combat role to level or get access to those features.

I think this is kinda the wrong way of thinking about it. 

I agree non combat profession are critical, but everyone should be able to do them. They shouldn't be restricted to one class. I should be able to be a mage that is heavy into politics, or  a thief that's a unscrupulous trader.

off topic - Are there gonna be formal political systems? I think it's a must, maybe game breaking without.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"