Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Modern MMORPG.

2»

Comments

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

Sorry I didn't read the whole post cause I had a thought and didn't want to lose it.

This thread seems to be loosely looking at two separate issues: Number one is the apparent difference between the 'new generation' and 'old generation' of gamer.  Number two is the end-game of MMO's.

1 - I totally disagree that there is one specific group of people who want a quick shallow reward and then move on, while another group will immerse themselves into a game for a long time and work slowly towards the rewards.  What I believe is that a large group of people have ONLY been subjected to the quick shallow game - take Neverwinter for example - the latest thing right and yet its about 10% of what the old Perfect World game was and still is.  There are probably many thousands of people who now think Neverwinter is what an MMO is supposed to be (personally I think its garbage and I uninstalled it yesterday btw)

Now, this generation of players are also the ones that made Minecraft such a phenomenon.  And what is Minecraft but something you have to constantly work at to get the rewards you want.  The game gives you the raw building blocks but you need to do the work.  So given the right platform, this new generation of gamer WILL knuckle down, focus, stay immersed and work towards a goal.  As I said though many new MMO's don't seem to offer this ideal. 

2 - I've been thinking about this whole end-game question a lot lately, as have many of you all I guess.  What causes longevity?  What will keep you coming back into a game?  

I like using Perfect World as a measuring stick because it got so many things right and one HUGE thing wrong.  IF Perfect World DIDN'T introduce the last tier of gears (rank 9) that could be bought with real money, then I believe it would be absolutely thriving.  PWI obviously made the choice of quick cash v long term rewards, when they introduced it.  And it really killed the game.  Since they introduced Rank 9 there have been many upgrades.  If those upgrades occurred before hand, and rank 9 was never introduced, then many thousands of people wouldn't have quit. 

So lets say you get to end game - some months later you have awesome gear.  The big question that devs need to work out, is what do players do now.   Either they need content that is awesome fun, or they need content that still allows players to work towards a goal - but what goal - that's the big question.  By the sounds of it WOW just introduces newer gear periodically.  Perfect World has PVP in Nation Wars and many people actually just sign on, on the days Nation Wars is on, play for the 2hrs it takes and sign off again.  So, to me, that's a fail as nothing keeps people in the game outside of these times.

I have this idea that to some degree a complex system of housing (boating etc) could be the final frontier.  Imagine if you walked the landscape of an MMO - over there is a small hut - you know they haven't put much time into their house - and over there on the horizon are the flags flying on the parapets of a castle, which you know is player built, by someone at end game making the biggest statement of success they can. 

This is what I see as end-game anyway.  Something else to do when you have awesome gear - the option to build and create - but where everything you need to build and create CANT be bought in a cash shop - it must be farmed by you, or you buy from players who farm the materials and sell to you - so lower level can benefit from your success as well.  And the system needs to include methods whereby you can lose it all over time if your not careful - just like real life. 

That's my two cents anyway.  Adios.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by MMORPGRIP
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by c0exist
    What these developers also do not realize is that those of us for lack of a better term, "old school gamers" are the best type of consumers.  Yes appealing to a mass market is great, but in this case its foolish not to at least have one game that is somewhat similar to a classic style mmoprg.  I cant speak for everyone, but I am quite loyal when I find a game I like and will pay upward of up to $40/month for a great game.  So would you rather have a large amount of people that will quit within 2 months or have a much smaller steady group that will call your game home for years to come.  You build a better community this way.  Just my opinion.   

You don't make money building communities, you make money appealing to large numbers of consumers.  MMOs, whether you like it or not, are a business and businesses exist to make money.  They always have and they always will.  If you can get a million people to play your game for 2-3 months, that's a better financial position than if you can get 200,000 people to play for 5-6 months.  You might be willing to pay a lot for a game, but you are in a tiny minority.  Find a couple million people like you and I'm sure the developers will listen, but not until.

When you have a good community (And game play), people tend to stay for YEARS.....not mere months

You be sure to let us all know when you find a single good community because I don't think such a thing exists in any modern game on the planet.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    What these developers also do not realize is that those of us for lack of a better term, "old school gamers" are the best type of consumers.  Yes appealing to a mass market is great, but in this case its foolish not to at least have one game that is somewhat similar to a classic style mmoprg.  I cant speak for everyone, but I am quite loyal when I find a game I like and will pay upward of up to $40/month for a great game.  So would you rather have a large amount of people that will quit within 2 months or have a much smaller steady group that will call your game home for years to come.  You build a better community this way.  Just my opinion.   

You don't make money building communities, you make money appealing to large numbers of consumers.  MMOs, whether you like it or not, are a business and businesses exist to make money.  They always have and they always will.  If you can get a million people to play your game for 2-3 months, that's a better financial position than if you can get 200,000 people to play for 5-6 months.  You might be willing to pay a lot for a game, but you are in a tiny minority.  Find a couple million people like you and I'm sure the developers will listen, but not until.

When you have a good community (And game play), people tend to stay for YEARS.....not mere months

You be sure to let us all know when you find a single good community because I don't think such a thing exists in any modern game on the planet.

city of heroes =(

it had a great community

• tasingtasing Member Posts: 5
    Oh,,, thanks for sharing your thoughts, but everyone of us has different perspective and of course there are some features of the game that works for some but in general we have our own perpective and likes about a certain games that we like.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by steamtank

city of heroes =(

it had a great community

I always thought LOTRO had a great community as well. At least it did when I played (a while ago truthfully).

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90

Exactly my point. In a MODERN MMORPG, you won't find one, or will have a hard time finding one anyway. Especially since they aren't built around creating one with features that detract from it and make them unnecessary anymore.

Such as the ability to solo to cap, ability to buy mercs (AI team mates), easy game play (No need for others), in game map GPS to everything (No need to ask others questions), etc, etc, etc.

BTW, MMORPG's I have played with decent communities (Of course not perfect, but WELL above anything now)...

- EQ1

- Vanguard

- AoC

- Eve Online

- LotRO

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

BTW, MMORPG's I have played with decent communities (Of course not perfect, but WELL above anything now)...

- EQ1

- Vanguard

- AoC

- Eve Online

- LotRO

Four of those five would be considered 'modern era' games, wouldn't they?

Does the modern era begin in 2003, or 2004?

(It occurs to me that we're about 'due' to draw another arbitrary line across the timeline and begin a new 'era'. Need a big big target game to love or hate, I guess, and then the WoW players can begin their shift as the curators of the disgruntled veterans mourning shroud).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NeckzNeckz Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    ...and then the WoW players can begin their shift as the curators of the disgruntled veterans mourning shroud).

Brilliant! LOL

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't really need to find a single good community because i can always bring my friends to a game. Few play only one game anyway.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

OP complains about "multiplayer interactivity" in MMO's today, then goes on to bash raiders and raiding for wanting to enjoy content TOGETHER in larger groups.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

Originally posted by steamtank

city of heroes =(

it had a great community

Played it.  Didn't really think so.  Sorry.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Exactly my point. In a MODERN MMORPG, you won't find one, or will have a hard time finding one anyway. Especially since they aren't built around creating one with features that detract from it and make them unnecessary anymore.

Such as the ability to solo to cap, ability to buy mercs (AI team mates), easy game play (No need for others), in game map GPS to everything (No need to ask others questions), etc, etc, etc.

- EQ1

- Vanguard

- AoC

- Eve Online

- LotRO

But that's the whole problem, the game doesn't make the community, the community makes the game and the community that so many people say that they want simply does not exist anywhere and never will again.  The features of the game have no bearing whatsoever on the community.  Old school games have the same crappy community that new ones do.

I've played most of the games you've listed and, without exception, I thought they all had rotten communities.  I fundamentally dislike the modern-day player who races to endgame, who uses anyone they can to get ahead and who would rather stab you in the back than help a fellow player.  It wasn't the  gameplay that made people that way, it was the people who demanded gameplay change to cater to them.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't really need to find a single good community because i can always bring my friends to a game. Few play only one game anyway.

I have exactly 3 friends who play MMOs anymore and they all play WoW exclusively.  Everyone else has given up.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

And the population grows from word-of-mouth. Eve is a perfect example. Plus, EQ's subs continually grew through Planes of Power. By then its viral growth was stiffled by major changes to the game, primarily, as well as other factors.

WoW did have 4x the north american sub numbers of EQ1, but the big difference is that SOE stupidly relied on word-of-mouth, whereas Blizzard smartly advertised everywhere and constantly.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Right - we are better than them. No, old school gamers are not better - different. Old school gamers are not loyal especially when bored. You feel you have to play if paying a sub, I know I did.

- EQ1

- Vanguard

- AoC

- Eve Online

- LotRO

But that's the whole problem, the game doesn't make the community, the community makes the game and the community that so many people say that they want simply does not exist anywhere and never will again.  The features of the game have no bearing whatsoever on the community.  Old school games have the same crappy community that new ones do.

I've played most of the games you've listed and, without exception, I thought they all had rotten communities.  I fundamentally dislike the modern-day player who races to endgame, who uses anyone they can to get ahead and who would rather stab you in the back than help a fellow player.  It wasn't the  gameplay that made people that way, it was the people who demanded gameplay change to cater to them.

Partially agree and disagree.

Agree with players can make a community true.

But disagree that the game's mechanics/features do not make up a large portion of why MMORPG's can or cannot have a good community. Again...look at what I listed in the last post. When there is no need to communicate or require other player's help...almost no one will go out of their way (Modern MMORPG players and/or games) to make one or try and be sociable.

Player these days are lazy and greedy. Most will only communicate or are willing to help if there is something in it for them. Sorry...call it biased and me an old school grouch...but it's not...it's what I have seen having tried almost all of these modern MMORPG's. It's a pattern from personal observation.

I still practice the same courtesy and helpfulness I did when I played EQ. But sadly...it's rarely returned.

Agree with players can make a community true.

But disagree that the game's mechanics/features do not make up a large portion of why MMORPG's can or cannot have a good community. Again...look at what I listed in the last post. When there is no need to communicate or require other player's help...almost no one will go out of their way (Modern MMORPG players and/or games) to make one or try and be sociable.

Player these days are lazy and greedy. Most will only communicate or are willing to help if there is something in it for them. Sorry...call it biased and me an old school grouch...but it's not...it's what I have seen having tried almost all of these modern MMORPG's. It's a pattern from personal observation.

I still practice the same courtesy and helpfulness I did when I played EQ. But sadly...it's rarely returned.

The problem is, it isn't the mechanics that change the people.  I don't have the slightest interest in communicating with most people in an MMO because, except for running around in a fantasy world, I have absolutely nothing in common with them, nor they with me.   That's what made for good communities back in the UO/EQ days, just about everyone who played was a geek and we all had things in common.  You could count on getting into almost any PUG and everyone would have something to talk about.  Everyone could quote Monty Python.  Everyone could talk about D&D.  Everyone could talk about Star Wars.  Now, that's not the case.  When MMOs went mainstream, the community was fragmented from a  generally homogeneous group to thousand of little sub-cultures that had little or nothing in common.  That's why nobody talks in a game, they have nothing to talk about.  That's why people want to solo, because it's better than dealing with the uncomfortable silences in a PUG.  the mechanics have adapted to the players, not the other way around.

And I agree, I'm a courteous guy in a game but I'm usually the only one.  I remember sitting around as a fixer in AO crafting for people for free.  If you bring me the components, I'll make you anything I can.  However, people started getting rude, expecting me to drop whatever I was doing to buff them or craft for them.  I had people cussing at me because I was too busy to do what they wanted.  We have a society today that is entitlement-happy, they think they should get things just because they bothered  to wake up in the morning.  You cannot fix this with game mechanics, you have to fundamentally change the society that these gamers come from.

That's the problem and why no game that comes out is ever going to be significantly better than what we see today.  The games are fine.  The people are assholes.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Sorry, these excuses you make for playing these new B2p/F2p shallow worthless boring carebear cash shop cross-platform ported rip off junk is not jiving.

• Grey950Grey950 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Guess i'm late to the party on this one but to the OP -- I don't think you like today's mass market mmorpgs. It may seem like a hurdle but at this point it might be prudent to try something outside your comfort zone. Now I'm not gonna make any specific suggestions for fear of potentially ruining your life (I kid... kind of) but if you haven't tried any action-based games, try that. If that doesn't work, switch gears to another online game genre. The reason so many games are the same is there just isn't anyone willing to take a big leap of faith to try something completely outside of the box. It's also plausible they just haven't invested "that" mmo yet or even come up with the idea yet.

A multi-game MMORPG community
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/
    Originally posted by Grey950
    Guess i'm late to the party on this one but to the OP -- I don't think you like today's mass market mmorpgs. It may seem like a hurdle but at this point it might be prudent to try something outside your comfort zone. Now I'm not gonna make any specific suggestions for fear of potentially ruining your life (I kid... kind of) but if you haven't tried any action-based games, try that. If that doesn't work, switch gears to another online game genre. The reason so many games are the same is there just isn't anyone willing to take a big leap of faith to try something completely outside of the box. It's also plausible they just haven't invested "that" mmo yet or even come up with the idea yet.

The problem is, so many people only want to play this one particular genre and they don't really like what this one particular genre has become.   They want it to magically go back to the way it was 15 years ago, which is horribly unrealistic, and they're not going to try anything else because it's not the way MMOs were 15 years ago.

They just like to complain.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

In a nutshell... people don't know what they want... but they know what they don't like as soon as they play it.

Remember folks... private servers exist out there... running your precious wayback machine versions of your game... you could all go there and find out if... harder really is better than been there done that... remember, you did it and done it... it's only harder... at least as you equated harder to be way back when.

Originally posted by Grey950

The problem is, so many people only want to play this one particular genre and they don't really like what this one particular genre has become.   They want it to magically go back to the way it was 15 years ago, which is horribly unrealistic, and they're not going to try anything else because it's not the way MMOs were 15 years ago.

They just like to complain.

Generalization and assumption.

I play RPG's, FPS's, RTS's, Sports games, Puzzle games, and many other various types if they catch my interest. I have tried nearly all modern MMORPG's as stated earlier.

It's not that I wish they would magically go back to what they were. There are plenty of things from them I rather not see come back. It's that they are more or less a mix of every other genre and no longer in their own unique field of games that made them stand out from the pack. Linear and boring grinds of levels just to grind more at end game for shiny gear that is useless other than to brag about. Not to mention useless when an expansion releases with mob fodder drops that are better than that gear too.  The mainstreaming (Thanks Blizzard).

They are now basically single player RPG's. May as well play Skyrim...which I do....because sadly...it feels more immersive than running around in a MMORPG these days with players named XxPwnerxX, ChukNouriss, etc...spewing pre-school jokes, having tourette fits....or wandering a ghost world that is SUPPOSE to me a a MMORPG because they are heavily instanced or have over-utilized fast portal systems rendering the game worlds useless.

BTW...the modern player likes complain too (And argue/troll). It goes both ways bub.

• Grey950Grey950 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    It goes both ways for sure.  Much of it depends largely on what MMO community you're talking about.  There are great differences between them, as well as close similarities.  As a Final Fantasy online gamer for many years, I see the community clamoring for the return of archaic/stone age concepts from FFXI in FFXIV:ARR.  Thankfully the developers have stuck to their guns.  Anyhow, you can only generalize so much before in an argument like this.

A multi-game MMORPG community
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I play RPG's, FPS's, RTS's, Sports games, Puzzle games, and many other various types if they catch my interest. I have tried nearly all modern MMORPG's as stated earlier.

It's not that I wish they would magically go back to what they were. There are plenty of things from them I rather not see come back. It's that they are more or less a mix of every other genre and no longer in their own unique field of games that made them stand out from the pack. Linear and boring grinds of levels just to grind more at end game for shiny gear that is useless other than to brag about. Not to mention useless when an expansion releases with mob fodder drops that are better than that gear too.  The mainstreaming (Thanks Blizzard).

They are now basically single player RPG's. May as well play Skyrim...which I do....because sadly...it feels more immersive than running around in a MMORPG these days with players named XxPwnerxX, ChukNouriss, etc...spewing pre-school jokes, having tourette fits....or wandering a ghost world that is SUPPOSE to me a a MMORPG because they are heavily instanced or have over-utilized fast portal systems rendering the game worlds useless.

If you play so many other types of games, why do you care? Just leave MMORPGs, and let whoever enjoy modern MMOs have their fun.

Don't tell me you think devs is obliged to provide what you think is a proper MMORPG.