Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: Making the Jump from East to West

Comments

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by blohm86

I cant figure out why people are hyped about this game, it adds NOTHING new to the genre, its just another ripoff with horrible visuals and dated gameplay.

F2P is again a wasted concept, its just absurd. Wish em good luck becouse their gonna need it for sure! Iam staying away from this game becouse of the huge hype that will result in utter dissapointment in the West.

And mmorpg.com staff should stop hyping this game, this is just horrible.

Wow. Stay off the angry pills when you post here! ;-)

Seriously though, can you point me to a recently released title that ArcheAge rips off? I'd love to play it, with graphics that aren't any older than say two years. So I don't have to wait for ArcheAge.

Thanks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I cant figure out why people are hyped about this game, it adds NOTHING new to the genre, its just another ripoff with horrible visuals and dated gameplay.

F2P is again a wasted concept, its just absurd. Wish em good luck becouse their gonna need it for sure! Iam staying away from this game becouse of the huge hype that will result in utter dissapointment in the West.

Yes the visuals are just horrible..lol

http://youtu.be/1JpQMBtlddY

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Lol did Archeage kick everyone's dog in this thread?  God forbid a game try to offer a small amount of freedom.  Are you all happy with the no freedom of current games?  People are even trying to rip the visuals...unbelievable.

It has more to do with the game design then the payment model as to whether people stick around or not.

A year ago everyone is excited about this game and now they add few immersion breakers and people hate it like it's SWTOR.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Truth is they will never remedy the pvp idea unless they create restrictions and remove the free for all.It alienates a VERY large portion of the player base and imo alienating even 10% is a really bad decision.The last thing i want to do or i imagine anyone ,is to defend what i build every single day.I would like to enjoy the actual game and the rest of the content.I can't remember every detail ,too many games, it might h be you can only be attacked once a week or something ,i just can't see an open free for all working at all.

Everyone wants large pvp battles but truth is small ones favor better game play,otherwise you end up with massive guilds over taking the entire pvp part of the game.I think where devs go wrong is trying to recreate a realistic mannerism with pvp,you can never accomplish that because in real life ,you run the risk of being dead for good.That alone means you take on wise decisions,but in a game setting it just doesn't work,it favors zergs or levels.

Even if they have limits like 60-60,what if i don't have 60,maybe i enjoy a small family guild of 12 or so?You see how it alienates so many players?

Also what would stop a very large guild from having ships patrol the water edges and stop others from making ships?XL said it themselves,they are having a hard time allowing players into the area let alone compete once they get there.

I also need to see more,well actually i need to play it, to see how restrictive and or how well the class system works,i know it uses a lot of predefined templates.

None the less,this is a VERY robust game,there will always be something for every type of player.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324
    All in all sounds like a game to keep on the radar
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    As an old UO roleplayer, I can't wait for this.
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

"Right now, the pirates are so active on the seas that they tend to keep the PVE and economy players away from ever stepping foot onto the Land or Origin. And so the dev team is working hard to find a way to balance things and make it possible for both types of players to coexist without ticking off either."

Can't be done.  PotBS showed this in spades. PvE players do NOT want to be fodder for sociopaths. In reality, piracy is "rare". In this game, it sounds like you have to avoid it many times on a single voyage....

Let me guess, all the high end PvE stuff will only exist on the PvP continent.... Eve all over again.

• gabereisergabereiser Member Posts: 2
    I want it now...  please!!!
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

And this is why I need to just skip over fanatics on this website. From this article, Archeage actually sounds like a game I can play. I love strategy games, and the idea of playing a civilization/strategy game with others is enticing, so long as I don't have to deal with PVP. It's nice to know that the game is built for whatever anyone wants to do. 

From the early descriptions in the article, I was thinking, "I bet this game has a problem with pirates" and I was right. Unfortunately games have to regulate people, because more than naught, a good many people will go for the easist, stereotypical path in a game like this. 

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Its HD rendering, its blatantly obvius. A pig with makeup is still a pig. Watch a proper vid that actually shows gameplay. With its dated visuals, clunky combat and overall uninteressting gameplay, this game makes Neverwinter actually look like a AAA-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCTALtBFyqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7_2BBISp34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aK_oTnBCMU

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    ok another game firmly removed from my radar. F2P open world pvp is stupid and unplayable.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I'm sure there will be a market for it.. just not me.

Planting and harvesting trees? Man, I have a job already that keeps me busy. I play games to have fun. That's a little too much realism for me.

• KnavemareKnavemare Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Welll well well archage is going F2P in the east... O.O;
  • KnavemareKnavemare Member UncommonPosts: 9
    On july 3
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Sounds cool as we all know.. was hoping for some info regarding our version in particular, though.  Will have to see how they handle certain things that, to me, seem pretty immersion breaking.  Mainly the importing of whatever textures and making.. coca cola vending machines, like in the other article.  Loving the sandbox features, though, as always.
  • HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

I didn't mind the pvp when they said it was up north.  However, if it's all out pvp after 30, then forget it.  I don't need a gank fest.  I liked WOW (before they made the game so lame) where it had pvp, rp, and pve servers.  You had a choice if you wanted to face the gank fest or if you wanted it with instanced restrictions.

Eve could've been greater than it is.  It's a great game, but has only gathered a small portion of the players it could've had.  You can't leave the low lvl safe zones without a slaughter. 

Korean AA is showing that you can't leave the safe zones without a high seas slaughter.  1v1 I'll fight you.  5 or more is just stupid.  Getting robbed is not fun.  Getting smacked by packs of "sociopaths" is just a pile of steaming S##T.  Don't need it and don't want to smell it.

Give me a start to endgame safe zone, or a PVE server w/options.  Otherwise forget it.

F2P, B2P, Sub, I don't care.  As long as it's not P2W.  Type of play makes a bigger issue with me over type of pay.  GW2 B2P works fine, but it's a reallllly boring game. IMHO.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

They lost me with steam hot rods, aviator mirror shades, and Hawaiian shirts.

Building a consistent theme through a game is important. If you want the world to feel "real" then you have to keep it consistent. I know this seems like a little thing to a lot of people, but it will kill the mood for me if I keep getting griefed by Magnum PI.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    I'm already laughing at my hearts content how many kids are already crying about losing their stuff, even before trying the game! :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Hater gonna hate! AA looks AMAZING! if it plays half as good as it looks, AA will have me on board for the long haul.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by bbbb42
    wow style combat eewwww

Yeah, the combat is by FAR the worst aspect of ArcheAge.

Free to play is quite disappointing. Free to play game MMOs are very "drop in, drop out" oriented, while sandbox MMOs are very "long term goals" oriented.

Kinda hard to build a community based on long term goals when people have the mind set of "I can stop for a week or so if I want, it doesnt matter, its Free to play afterall".

I LOVE free to play, however, WoW style combat is disgusting, even more so for the saving grace of a game like this, I really want them to at least GW2 the combat, PLEASE, do that.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

I am very much looking forward to this game. It looks like a real place to call home, and not just travel from quest hub to quest hub, get max level and grind gear.

It seems that this game has a lot of possibilities and could get me hooked for the long run.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    amazing they try to pass this as a sandbox at all...I guess they can try the new term sandpark...but definently not a sandbox.  Instanced sieges, pvp restrictions...sandboxes are totall free.  Not saying this is a bad thing as I'm sure many are okay with this...but the true sandbox gamer will lol at the attempt to call this a sandbox

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by BearKnight

@TRION:

Don't mess this up. Sandbox games are NOT compatible with the "F2P" model. If you want to have an "infinitely free" server that has a level cap of like, the first 10hrs of gameplay with limited geography exploration (ie: only the noob center isle) then do that, and then offer free transfers to the real servers once someone decides to move off Free-To-Try, and move to Pay-To-Play.

ArcheAge will FAIL in the US & Europe if you force it F2P or B2P.

You are right, till now on the day a mmo goes f2p is the day I quit

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by XilentStorm
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by bbbb42
    wow style combat eewwww

Yeah, the combat is by FAR the worst aspect of ArcheAge.

Free to play is quite disappointing. Free to play game MMOs are very "drop in, drop out" oriented, while sandbox MMOs are very "long term goals" oriented.

Kinda hard to build a community based on long term goals when people have the mind set of "I can stop for a week or so if I want, it doesnt matter, its Free to play afterall".

I LOVE free to play, however, WoW style combat is disgusting, even more so for the saving grace of a game like this, I really want them to at least GW2 the combat, PLEASE, do that.

I find GW2 combat Disgusting. So where does that leave us? All games need to be made the way YOU want them to be made? I happen to like the combat of AA.