Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: There Is Only WAR

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Unshra

"...plenty of cover mechanics."

Someone's been playing too much Gears of War, since when does a Space Marine or an Ork take cover? Lost interest right there as it's an insult to think either are as weak and pathetic as the soldiers in Gears of War. Run out there with your bolter and chainsword for the Emperor or cower in shame behind cover soiling your armor. There should be an option to purge anyone who takes cover.

To take cover is to admit defeat and to admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor!

Imperial Inquisitor mode: ON

I sense the taint of Khorne in your words Marine.  Your duty and honor are bound to the service of He who guides the Holy Imperium from His throne on distant, sacred Tera.  Your life is not yours to throw carelessly away.  To think otherwise is to tread the path of Heresy, that leads to the final Chaos.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • kraizkraiz Member Posts: 14
    DAMNIT! Give me Tau now!
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

They didnt mention how many players are in each battle.. is it similar to PS2? I hope so.. if the battles are limited to like 32 players per area then that will suck..

Still early on but cant wait for more news on this.

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Worst kind of freeplay model I have seen in a long time. 
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by risenbones

Making Ork Boyz free and needing 5 boyz to take down 1 Space Marine.  I dunno but that sounds like they maybe understand the lore of 40k better than most attempts have in the past.  With them being free which would make them the zerg playable race by default those who pay to become a Space Marine will be able to feel like a 40k Space Marine which they wouldn't be able to do with B2P or subscription models (at least compared to Orks).

Dunno I guess count me with the slightly optimistic wait and see mob.  

Spot on, I love this idea, and most likely they will utilize a system similar to Ps2 where you earn ingame points to slowly upgrade your Boy or switch to another Race. Or pony up some green and drop-pod your Terminator with lightningclaws and storhammer into a mass of f2p Pchans =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)       =)

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Vlacke

The fact that you have to pay in order to play a Space Marine in a WH40k "free to play" MMO is somewhat hilarious.

Ork Boyz, seriously?

You must not know about GW.......They sell tabletop games mostly as their money maker.....tabletop games that need, current MSRP, $125 minimum, in rulebooks just to play....Then....$800 in model cost, not including any and all supplies to finish them, to field an army for a 1500 point game.

I am sure when some green visor wearing accountant came in all out of breath, and proclaimed "We, can call it "Free to Play", but charge for every little extra bit, and make far more money than with just a sub!!!" The Emperor himself raised his undead head and gave his blessing.

Another GW money grab. But hey they are getting to beta in 18 months...that screams a "quality" game.

Funny you say that; I currently work with three former GW employees who worked in the Bay Area branch and they have NOTHING nice to say about GW or the Warhammer tabletop game.

• The only way I can see this model working is if the 'Orc Boyz' are treated as a sideline race that is not expected to win, so you can get in game for free, see the battle, run around and get a feel for it but if you actually want to compete or play properly you need to upgrade to one of the 'Proper' races.

So you would end up with 1 token race (orcs), 1 NPC race (tyranids), and 3 competitive races. So not really P2W, more like pay to compete.

The orks just being a sideline in the story who can zerg around having fun but won't really affect the outcome of the battle.

Also as long as the entry price into the other races is reasonable/competitive to draw people into buying into it, it may just work. 

Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Unshra

"...plenty of cover mechanics."

Someone's been playing too much Gears of War, since when does a Space Marine or an Ork take cover? Lost interest right there as it's an insult to think either are as weak and pathetic as the soldiers in Gears of War. Run out there with your bolter and chainsword for the Emperor or cower in shame behind cover soiling your armor. There should be an option to purge anyone who takes cover.

To take cover is to admit defeat and to admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor!

Imperial Inquisitor mode: ON

I sense the taint of Khorne in your words Marine.  Your duty and honor are bound to the service of He who guides the Holy Imperium from His throne on distant, sacred Tera.  Your life is not yours to throw carelessly away.  To think otherwise is to tread the path of Heresy, that leads to the final Chaos.

Sir yes sir! Valuable resources invested in this Astartes will not go to waste from simple folly and lack of defensive measures!

"Damnation starts with little steps, by arrogantly thinking that you are wiser than our great forbears, by tinkering with truth, by compromising, by departing from the straight and narrow path of the Emperor’s light." -Marneus Calgar, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines.

Originally posted by kraiz
    DAMNIT! Give me Tau now!

hopefully they will be npc cannonfodder like Tyranids and I suspect Necrons =)

Originally posted by GlenalthW

Not a big fan of 40k, but everything in this article sounds perfect for the world.

It will be interesting to see if they get it to actually work that way in 2 years.

Yeah agreed, sounds perfect but the timeframe of 2 years for all this...not likely.

Expect it to take at least 3..

• PanzakatPanzakat Member Posts: 24

The free race available to everyone will be the Orks.  But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine

This takes the idea that free to play players are just paid player cannon fodder to a whole new level!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I anticipate no serious investment into the MMORPG industry until Oculus Rift is released. 

This is because there are so many cheap but 'effective' games made every month that nobody wants to take the risk of a serious investment.

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

Ok I have two points of view on this. The f2p model they are suggesting is really bad. I mean just god awful. what your going to get is 1k orks to 1 paid space marine. and people are going to riot about it. I mean big time. People will not be encouraged to pay for it their is strength in numbers. I have seen it way to many times in games. Battlestar galactica online had the same issue with everyone being colonial cylons were overwhelmed. Except on one server where we were so organized we were able to lock down the map. You will see the same thing here. I get the fact that orkz are a hoard army but this will be so unbalanced its not even funny.

Other flaw. Orkz basic close combat weapon the choppa cleaves through space marine armor. to reprsent this in game they lower the armor save from a 3+ to a 4+ So considering the masses of Ork players your gonna have because of this model all the orkz have to do is all rush a squad and overwhelm them. and orkz win every time.

Now my second point of view on this, is this could actually be a good base system to use for the warhammer 40k ip. And I am not just talking about ground combat either. They could easily in the future integrate a space combat in the style of Battle fleet gothic into the game simalr to an eve model. 

All in all Im mixed on this. If they change their model some what this could be a really good game. If the content for purchase is not overly expensive then they could easily be something worth playing. Btw YOU BETTER HAVE PLAYER CONTROLLED DREAD's.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Sounds CRAP, no thx kthxbye.
  • fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    Sounds awesome.
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

"Once someone becomes invested in the game, they can purchase the other races and open up the full progression paths for each (including the Orks)"

so, will we be able to create the big green ones and the nasty little ones?

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Oh man, there is going to be a SHITLOAD of Ork Boyz!!!  

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• Ricardo5802Ricardo5802 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Turn you brains on for awhile, guess what would happen if Space Marines were a free Race...

It would be like 1 of other race for over 9000 Space Marines, so i guess i can understand their point for making people paying for it.

Everyone want's to play one, who wants to be a puny ork or elf?

Originally posted by Postal13

oh yes just imagine the epicness of shoving ur chainsaw sword in the Freeloaders and kids asses. 

• jellostairwayjellostairway Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by steamtank
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Let's look at 40k the miniatures games.  You purchased a core set of rules and perhaps the starter box.  The rest of the game was purchased bit by bit.  You want a different army?  Buy a set of rules plus various miniatures.  Want that leader figure?  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  This is their business model. 

Check out the prices at  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp?setLocale=en_US&gclid=CKTml4SE37cCFUThQgod5B0Aig

$115.00 for a wraithknight miniature:  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2060062a

I own at least a 6000 point wood elf army and a 12000 point greenskin army....

the cost means nothing to me.

the fairness of the game means something to me.  I for one dont see any amusement in killing off 3-4 free players without breaking a sweat. 

I would much rather it be a DAOC like game with 4 playable factions and 1 wildcard faction.  If they want to represent unit size, have an ork players model be 3-5 ork boys that travel together.

the game already reeks of pay-to-win, that isnt competitive, its boring.

A guy with that plays wood elves is concerned with the game being balanced?  That's interesting considering wood elves are the worst army in WFB and have been for years.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I think it should be more like 1-2 Ork Boyz = 1 Space Marine in Close quarters and 3-5 Ork Boyz = 1 Space Marine at range, possibly more at range because Ork Sluggas have the accuracy of storm troopers lol.

Now at close quarters those Ork Choppaz ("Axes") are pretty nasty, dunno if the rules changed much but back in my day those choppaz would make armor rolls 4+ for Space Marines instead of 3+ which is pretty huge!

Oh and as long as they give the Orks some premium options other than Ork Boyz I will be a happy Imperium Killer :D I would totally main a Nob with a specialty like Big Mek, Storm Nob, Loota or even the specialties like Mad Dok, or Weird Boy.

I would reallllllllllllllly get giddy if they also make Orks get visibly larger and/or darker when they level up...just like it was promised in Warhammer Online >.< lol.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

oh yes just imagine the epicness of shoving ur chainsaw sword in the Freeloaders and kids asses. 

Rofl. Well said: Cannon Fodder green scum. I like it. I agree Space Marines should be fewer but more uber than Orks. Neat.

There's some positive here. Much much improved on the previous model that was 2-faction doomed. There's got to be more connections between each campaign and the economy however for it to be long lasting. Don't assume the players are going to mindlessly combat 100% of the time for no persistent reasons. Some RTS mixing high level into the mmorpg is essential as is creating tanks, space ships and all the other supports to base control.

Overall positve, the other concern is the 3rd person: Not sure that's a good fit for fire-arms? I think F2P Orks is an excellent system with the other races. Shame the Tyranids won't be playable. They should be tough as nails.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by jellostairway
    Originally posted by steamtank
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Let's look at 40k the miniatures games.  You purchased a core set of rules and perhaps the starter box.  The rest of the game was purchased bit by bit.  You want a different army?  Buy a set of rules plus various miniatures.  Want that leader figure?  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  This is their business model. 

Check out the prices at  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp?setLocale=en_US&gclid=CKTml4SE37cCFUThQgod5B0Aig

$115.00 for a wraithknight miniature:  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2060062a

I own at least a 6000 point wood elf army and a 12000 point greenskin army....

the cost means nothing to me.

the fairness of the game means something to me.  I for one dont see any amusement in killing off 3-4 free players without breaking a sweat. 

I would much rather it be a DAOC like game with 4 playable factions and 1 wildcard faction.  If they want to represent unit size, have an ork players model be 3-5 ork boys that travel together.

the game already reeks of pay-to-win, that isnt competitive, its boring.

A guy with that plays wood elves is concerned with the game being balanced?  That's interesting considering wood elves are the worst army in WFB and have been for years.

i also tend to field an entirely ranged greenskin army

people have no idea what to do... and when they finally get a strategy together they run into so many fanatics everything gets decimated

i find it hilarious

edit: if i choose to gimp myself thats on me. i could field a far stronger army but i like playing something interesting and seeing what happens.

i played a marauder in WAR, it was a ton of fun. sure bright wizards were wtfbbq, but i didnt aim to kill them.. i killed their healers. OM NOM NOM

i just think each faction should have lowbie models as the f2p and then each faction can have paid models for characters that pack a bigger punch. i just dont see anything f2p actually having better quality than a p2p counterpart.

Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

Rofl. Well said: Cannon Fodder green scum. I like it. I agree Space Marines should be fewer but more uber than Orks. Neat.

There's some positive here. Much much improved on the previous model that was 2-faction doomed. There's got to be more connections between each campaign and the economy however for it to be long lasting. Don't assume the players are going to mindlessly combat 100% of the time for no persistent reasons. Some RTS mixing high level into the mmorpg is essential as is creating tanks, space ships and all the other supports to base control.

Overall positve, the other concern is the 3rd person: Not sure that's a good fit for fire-arms? I think F2P Orks is an excellent system with the other races. Shame the Tyranids won't be playable. They should be tough as nails.

yeah, also an option to let the squig of the consumers to eat a freeloader for a small buff.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

After giving it some thought I'm actually looking forward to buying a Space Marine and start pub stomping Ork Boyz left, right and center, i expect some rather hilarious moments, if they manage to make a good game in the first place.

Also the global chat should be immensely fun once the Boyz realize what have they gotten themselves into.