Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I tried to like this game

2»

Comments

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

It is because planetside 2 is a wargame.

You really can't play it properly without an outfit - you can't fight a war with 1 person.

Get that, still doesn't change the question. Being in an outfit has ZERO impact on the game play / technical issues many are having; nor does it change the weird base layouts and lack of any reward for defending or any of the other game design issues.

I *LIKE* the game; it's a fun FPS...but it is seriously lacking in depth / reason to keep playing and the ongoing technical problems are ridiculous (although very typical of SOE lol)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Three letters sum up this game...SOE...I knew it before it was even launched...that's why I won't go near SOE games...on my stuff.  I played it at a friends, and I gotta say, it's worse than the original.  SOE is just looking to get in, get thier money, and get out.  They won't fix anything, or put any effort into making the game any better, look at Vanguard.  It's needed love since it was launched.  It's the one SOE game I actually loved, but due to bugs that you can STILL find to this day, noone wants to play it.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Three letters sum up this game...SOE...I knew it before it was even launched...that's why I won't go near SOE games...on my stuff.  I played it at a friends, and I gotta say, it's worse than the original.  SOE is just looking to get in, get thier money, and get out.  They won't fix anything, or put any effort into making the game any better, look at Vanguard.  It's needed love since it was launched.  It's the one SOE game I actually loved, but due to bugs that you can STILL find to this day, noone wants to play it.

cant say i agree,  they did work on the render distance, and A2A adjustments for air, then added the VR training room, as well as recently put in Test Servers. 

every GU that they release tends to break peoples FPS' on their machines, and in a 2-3 week turn around tops, they add a mini patch to get rid of a number of bugs from the GU they release (repair bug for example).

l

• metal0xmetal0x Member UncommonPosts: 72

I have to put my 2 cents here since playing an I don't wanna start another thread.

I thought this was going to be a decent game (seen winning awards for it and good reviews) but I was terribly wrong. So I played this game 3 diffrent days for about 2 hours each day and I got quite alot of exp. with fps games (CS, quake, etc...). I have a good computer amd fx 3.6ghz 8gig ram nvidia 560ti.

My first issue with this game is the lag. I started out in high setting and tried every one down till I reached low and it made very little impact on the lag in game. This made some people pop out of no where an kill me before I could even react(no it wasn't an infiltrator). I've played APB:R and it lags WAY less then this game does.

My second issue is the animations. The death screen/animmation is one of the worst I've ever seen in an FPS. Its lagged for one and seems to be in slow motion (on the second day the death screen by itself made me wanna throw my monitor out the window). The map is also terrible. It lags when you bring it up an sometimes won't even display where you are at on it.  Air planes and player animations is horrible. Like watching a badly animated cartoon and gets worst the further they are away from you. Probably this is due to my first issue.

Last is the combat. The game seems to be heavy on the tanks with air planes on the side. It is also hard to see who is shooting at you even with the hit markers and gives you little time to react or get into cover. Everytime I ran into someone they killed me instantly (only got maybe 5-6 kills total from my 6 hr playing time). This is also probably due to my first issue as well.

I played DCUO and that game was done REALY well. This game is the total opposite. Full of lag and some confusion. Good thing this game is F2P. I would have been pisst off if I bought it retail. Try this game out and see for yourself but do not get your hopes up on it as a playable/good game.

• CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30

If finding tutorials is hard, I have but one word to say.  YouTube.

I am looking forward to playing, but will have to wait and buy an external video card because my current one is a dual video/audio card and not powerful enough for PS2.     Until then, time to do some destroying in Unreal Tournament.  PS2 does look better then UT thou.  Just need to wait till I get some upgraded hardware.

Celerion
    Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Man I miss all the awesome maps/servers for Unreal Tournament. Start a server and hook a brother up!

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by ericbelser

The lack of depth is what is killing me; I enjoy the game, I could live the with cheats and bugs, but there is just no point. I play little every now and again because I installed it already and it is free...but it's just FPS...I could do the same in a lot of other games...the 'epic' scale battles mostly end up being epic fails of lag deaths, discons and increasing server + gfx load problems.

The 'strategy' element is basically non-existant and the tactics aren't much better given that the terrain doesn't change, nothing significant is deployable and you end up fighting over the same handful of bases worth defending over and over.

So what ideas would you suggest that can improve the fun factor other than bug fixes of course?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I have tried several times to like this game.

why?

did it do you a great favor?

do you somehow owe it something?

what warrants that kind of commitment to something that you obviously never liked?

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I have tried several times to like this game.

For me the reasond I don't play

-sniper class doesn't work.You cannot tell friend from foe at long range.

-I really did not get a sense of a real war going on...but just a game to be played

-when I tried the game there were no good tutorials

-100% of the activity is fighting.....no crafting  or any other activity

-game feels clicky....and not a welcoming player base for noobs

-I REALLY wan't third person viewing....not first

-I could not strongly identify with any of the factions

-game seemed too twitchy(fastest finger wins)  vs more tactical or strategic

Now that headline made me laugh. Just to make you reflect your initial attitude, which is only possitive in terms of your personal development as a being on this planet:

Why do you force yourself to like a game? If you did not force yourself, why did you say you tried? Trying implies effort. And effort is so wrong when it comes to something you want to enjoy :-) if you dont like it, skip it. You have the free will to do so.

Was there peer pressure involved?

I remember myself, when electronic music began to become really mainstream and I was listening to rock before and all my friends where going to clubs where really hot chicks were hanging around (yeah how foolish and shallow.. blame my youth) and I couldnt stand the hectic beat of DnB and most house music. And what did I do? I forced myself to listen to it and somehow I started liking it. But I can tell you, that is very, veeery bad.

Why? Because something inside you tells you all the time what is wrong what is right. Mostly it tells you only things that are right and empower you with an incredible awesome feeling (like those when you were truely free as a young child @ the beach). So listen to that voice. Not to the critical voice, thats your god-damn ego. Listen to the other one, the more silent one. And nothing can go wrong in your life.

Hell, I love my verbal excursions... bringing me all the time from gaming, to psychology, to spirituality - oh well ;)

tl;dr: Enjoy what YOU like. And stop listening to other people. It isnt the right stuff in the end anyway, what other tell you. You'll see somewhere soon in life. Not even what the goverment says. Yeah, I just said that.

or what this guy said ^

agree 100%

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by tixylix
    It's pretty dead now anyways, they could get away with having one server tbh.

If you have no clue what you are talking about it's best not to speak.

Population on nearly every server is thriving - on Miller for example there are queues just to log-in to continents at many times.