Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] DUST 514: Largely a Success

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP has released what is considered by many to be a ground-breaking new game in the form of DUST 514 with its direct game play relationship with EVE Online. We've put DUST 514 through its paces to offer up our official review. Read on and then tell us about your experiences in the comments.

Dust 514 is such an experience. An excellent shooter than allows for countless hours of fun, but somewhat overshadowed by its truncated launch and micro transaction leanings. CCP's first entry into the world of headshots and frag grenades should be groundbreaking, and is in many ways, but it is comes close to being undone by its own legend and missed opportunities.

Read more of Adam Tingle's DUST 514: Largely a Success.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Not quite. I mean yeah its ok if you have never played bf3 or ps2 or cod or halo........
  • DocShadowDocShadow Member Posts: 2

Being that CCP has shown tremendous ability to work within the SaaS framework I have confidence that this will really shine at some point... though for the duration of development i have always questioned their decision to try to complete on console.  As the review, first reply, and I'm sure many more to come will, point out it is tough to compete with the HALO, BF, and CoD franchises.  The player base is already on PC, I know I love the concept and the interaction between two games even if the mechanics are below the marks set by the AAA titles.  

In any case I look forward to seeing how this develops and grows.  We need the  social gaming to grow in a direction that is distinctly not "share this achievement on teh FBook!!" and this is definitely one of those directions.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    Choosing to put it on console was an odd decision. Choosing to put it on just one of the two consoles, and the one with less units sold was just plain baffling.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I hope they make shit loads of money with Dust so they can finally get crackin' on WoDO !!!
  • MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by huskie77

Choosing to put it on console was an odd decision. Choosing to put it on just one of the two consoles, and the one with less units sold was just plain baffling.

They didnt "choose" to put it on only one console. They were forced to by the fact that Microsoft was unwilling to bend and allow CCP to do what it needed to do to make the concept work. Overall though the strict console decision could be considered odd outside of the fact that working with a specific piece of hardware simplifies the coding process and graphics creation. IE if they went PC development they have to take into account all the thousands if not millions of hardware combinations etc which can complicate pc development - this on top of jumping into a genre they are not familiar with - going pure console was a safer choice from the stand point of developing a product that works.

As to the future - who knows - as long as they make some form of profit they can use to keep developing the game I am sure it will only get better and perhaps spread to other platforms over time.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

CCP* ;).

But good read! Shame it's on PS3 and not PC (or Xbox for that matter).

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75
    CCG, CCG, who the hell is CCG?? It is CCP!!!
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Maelkor

They didnt "choose" to put it on only one console. They were forced to by the fact that Microsoft was unwilling to bend and allow CCP to do what it needed to do to make the concept work.

Do you have a reliable cite from CCP for that claim, or is it just a guess?

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Myria

They didnt "choose" to put it on only one console. They were forced to by the fact that Microsoft was unwilling to bend and allow CCP to do what it needed to do to make the concept work.

I remember reading that also, just google around a bit if you doubt it but I'm quite sure.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Its not their fault they were let down by microsoft. Though I am completely baffled why there is no PC version.

I may get flamed here but FPS's are best played on a PC, the controls feel more natural compared.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Wicoa

I may get flamed here but FPS's are best played on a PC, the controls feel more natural compared.

DUST 514 has mouse and keyboard support.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Yeah shooters are better on console. The natural feel is more than just aiming. Its running, diving, tossing, shooting, crouching, crouching and walking, sprinting, jumping, laying down, replication of perfect timing, dodging, melee, reloading. The whole package just flows better with a controller. Yes mouse lets you aim faster, but keyboard really takes away from the natural feel of everything else. Usings thumbs to look around instead of mouse too.

I know you can use controller on pc too, but in the spirit of competive play, everyone using a controller is best for the games. So I said shooters on consoles.

In pc shooter its all about aiming. In console shooters its more immersive and aiming isnt everything like it is on pc. Pc becomes who can aim thier mouse faster while hunched over a desk instead on a nice comfy couch.

I have been playing bf3 on pc and been getting good with keyboard and mouse. I still prefer the controller.

Ever try flying a helicopter or jet in bf3 with keyboard and mouse? OUCH!!!
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

"Launching as it has near the sell-by-date of the PS3"

Jesus, when will you understand that the current gen does not end by the arrival of the next one? The current gen consoles will continue to be made and supported for the next couple of years, hell the ps2 only recently stopped being produced.

Did a quick google for you:
    http://www.ripten.com/2011/06/10/ccp-sony-offers-fidelity-that-microsoft-cant-for-dust-514-brycew/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/08/ccp-sony-more-open-to-dust-experiment/
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/08/ccp-sony-was-more-open-to-dust-514/
    http://www.develop-online.net/features/1461/Dust-514-The-PS3s-most-important-game

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

http://www.ripten.com/2011/06/10/ccp-sony-offers-fidelity-that-microsoft-cant-for-dust-514-brycew/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/08/ccp-sony-more-open-to-dust-experiment/
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/06/08/ccp-sony-was-more-open-to-dust-514/
    http://www.develop-online.net/features/1461/Dust-514-The-PS3s-most-important-game

Actually all those really say is that they got a better deal from Sony, which, given that Sony paid a buttload for exclusivity (thus no PC version) was already known.  They were not, as was stated by the person I quoted, "forced" to go to Sony, in fact they state outright that they could have done a version on the 360 had they wished to -- "When asked whether a 360 version was an impossibility, he reasoned that “I don’t think it’s about saying we “couldn’t” do it".

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Actually all those really say is that they got a better deal from Sony, which, given that Sony paid a buttload for exclusivity (thus no PC version) was already known.  They were not, as was stated by the person I quoted, "forced" to go to Sony, in fact they state outright that they could have done a version on the 360 had they wished to -- "When asked whether a 360 version was an impossibility, he reasoned that “I don’t think it’s about saying we “couldn’t” do it".

Well, that's the extent of the research I'm going to do for you. We've all been through this for a couple years now. Google is your friend.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

They didnt "choose" to put it on only one console. They were forced to by the fact that Microsoft was unwilling to bend and allow CCP to do what it needed to do to make the concept work. Overall though the strict console decision could be considered odd outside of the fact that working with a specific piece of hardware simplifies the coding process and graphics creation. IE if they went PC development they have to take into account all the thousands if not millions of hardware combinations etc which can complicate pc development - this on top of jumping into a genre they are not familiar with - going pure console was a safer choice from the stand point of developing a product that works.

As to the future - who knows - as long as they make some form of profit they can use to keep developing the game I am sure it will only get better and perhaps spread to other platforms over time.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up Microsoft.

Isaiah 41:10
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Originally posted by DKKOberon

CCG, CCG, who the hell is CCG?? It is CCP!!!

lol couldnt get passed that huge typo.

didnt enjoy the article. their proof reader must of been on a break.

<.<

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Yeah. I want to play it, but bah...I can't deal with shooters on Consoles.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Don't have a link. It was the servers, microsoft wanted it on their servers, CCP knew it had to be linked with eve's tranquility server. And glad I am for that, if CCP had forced me to interact with people from xbox live I wouldn't still be playing.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by DocShadow

Being that CCP has shown tremendous ability to work within the SaaS framework I have confidence that this will really shine at some point... though for the duration of development i have always questioned their decision to try to complete on console.  As the review, first reply, and I'm sure many more to come will, point out it is tough to compete with the HALO, BF, and CoD franchises.  The player base is already on PC, I know I love the concept and the interaction between two games even if the mechanics are below the marks set by the AAA titles.  

In any case I look forward to seeing how this develops and grows.  We need the  social gaming to grow in a direction that is distinctly not "share this achievement on teh FBook!!" and this is definitely one of those directions.

I don't know.  The console market doesn't hang around for long unless your game is mind-blowing, and this isn't.  There are new consoles coming and many new games that look amazing.  I don't doubt EVE players will use it, but I just don't see it growing much beyond that.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I would think they have a PS4 version in the works already. It would be silly for them not to.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

PS3 - January 2013 estimate: "about 77 million

360 - 74.94 million as of 31 December 2012

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    It's f2p so it works for now. Hopefully certain game issues will improve but I think this was a test drive for CCP to see how the EVE universe is viewed by console players and with so many mmo's heading to consoles this time around I wonder if EVE is a possibility down the line.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

CCG is only the second best company after CCP