Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VOIP?

Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Just something I thought about. Wouldn't it be a world first in MMORPGs if they add it?

What I am talking about is something like what they got in DayZ and WarZ, not just a built in system for grps and raids but actual solo play and whatnot as well.

Just imagine running passed a guy at docks in Oasis that's farming crocodiles. You just woke in RL and as you run passed him/her, heading to Guk, you say "good morning" and he/she says it back or it's a teenage brat that answers FU, instead. Either way, it's the RL communication that would be a cool feature. :)

What do you think? Is it something EQnext should consider having?

Discuss...

Comments

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Defiance has this, at least it did in the beginning. The problem with it is if you get into a crowded area, especially where an event is taking place, its nothing but a bunch of people talking over each other. And it is really a mess when people have it set to open mic and not a push to talk key bind.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not sure I would like this all that much. In most games I stay off voice becauese of the dopiness and racist/sexist comments etc.  I find it just ruins any immersion for me.  The chance to listen to hundreds if not more dopy teens saying "noob" or "F,,,,,," in chat is something I can probably live without.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Just something I thought about. Wouldn't it be a world first in MMORPGs if they add it?

What I am talking about is something like what they got in DayZ and WarZ, not just a built in system for grps and raids but actual solo play and whatnot as well.

Just imagine running passed a guy at docks in Oasis that's farming crocodiles. You just woke in RL and as you run passed him/her, heading to Guk, you say "good morning" and he/she says it back or it's a teenage brat that answers FU, instead. Either way, it's the RL communication that would be a cool feature. :)

Discuss...

Guilds etc have their own TS3/Ventrilo/Mumble servers, if you want to join them you have to use it, whether a game has a seperate in game voice system is pretty much irrelevant. image

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Ok...

So, if an advanced filter was added then? Lets say a filter that could specify character names that you only want to listen to. That is, listen without grouping up. Also, maybe add a sensitive distance adjustment that sets who you can hear etc...

This brings up the market at tunnel in east commonlands (or where your server had it) and so on, where many ppl gather to sell and buy stuff.

Also of course, a ignore filter to always ignore that persons voice.

I dont know, just speculating. :)

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    lol, well it seems you want it at least.
    Originally posted by flizzer
    lol, well it seems you want it at least.

Nah, just throwing something out there. It would be a cool thing, but I won't I get upset if it's not in. :)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Discuss...

EQ2 already did this last year with SoEmote. Localised voice chat with face tracking technology. Its obviously going to be in EQNext since EQ2 is just the trial server now.

Link:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/01/soemote-implants-your-facial-expressions-movement-and-voice-onto-your-eq2-avatar/

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

that idea is cool but the reality is that wont work

open any mmorpg , and read chat

thats why we cant have voip

Originally posted by Skuall

that idea is cool but the reality is that wont work

open any mmorpg , and read chat

thats why we cant have voip

Like I said, already happened. EQ2.

Originally posted by evilastro

Discuss...

EQ2 already did this last year with SoEmote. Localised voice chat with face tracking technology. Its obviously going to be in EQNext since EQ2 is just the trial server now.

Oh, I didn't know this. I knew about the face tracking tech, but not that they added localized voice chat...

Allrighty then... :)

Originally posted by evilastro

Discuss...

Oh, I didn't know this. I knew about the face tracking tech, but not that they added localized voice chat...

Allrighty then... :)

Was in the same update, lets you Roleplay in the local area via local voice chat, face tracking and voice mutation (to match your character). It was pretty cool, unfortunately it was launched after I had already lost interest in EQ2s content direction.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The voip in ps2 us pretty good for an in gale Voip system

You have 5 Voip keys to hold.
    1 is for platoon (raid) chat
    1 is for squad (party) chat
    1 is for outfit (guild) chat
    1 is a platoon leaders channel
    The last is proximity chat, the further away you are the quieter it Is.

You can turn on and off both individual channels and individual players, you can also tamper with volumes not just for yourself and globally but also for individual players. Finally you can adjust how much the backgroubd noise / music gets lowered while you have voice coming in.

I could see them putting it in eqn as its already part of the engine.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

You can turn on and off both individual channels and individual players, you can also tamper with volumes not just for yourself and globally but also for individual players. Finally you can adjust how much the backgroubd noise / music gets lowered while you have voice coming in.

Holy crap!

This sounds amazing. :)

This combined with the EQ2 tech stuff, and we have a winner. Well, honestly, the ps2 voip system already sounds like a winner on it's own, lol. :)

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I've never cared much for VOIP while I'm playing. I always like to listen to music and stuff while playing and I can't really do that while having to be logged into chat. Plus if more than one or two people are talking at a time it's basically useless. Just sounds like a garbled mess if everyone is trying to talk at once.

I liked the original EQ chat really, can set up different windows for different text chat. I used to lead and tank raids while being in constant tell hell from a few different people with no issues. I don't mind VOIP for listening in to strats and leading raids, but as a main form of communication I much prefer text chat.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What we do as a guild in ps2
    We don't use the outfit chat channel for general stuff, we use a mumble server for that. We then leave the outfit channel free for us to communicate enemy positions and what have you across platoons, we could use the platoon leaders chanel for that, but seen as half the vanu guilds on my server are German speaking it wouldn't work.

We typically run 2 closed and 2 open platoons. The closed ones we could very easily just run a mumble Chanel for. But with the open platoons the Voip is vital for communicating instructions to non guild members (with ps2 being a fps, can't really stop to type)

The proxy chat is handy too, Ive macroed recordings of me saying "flash incoming" for when I'm about to chuck a flashbang and "get out of the way I'm about to run you over"

One thing I forgot, ps2 also has a menu from pressing v where your character shouts out stuff like "i need a ride", "heal me", "thanks", "check fire" etc..

It's the best Voip system I've encountered in a mmo.

Whether eqn needs anything as Advanced though is moot. I'm assuming the combat will be slower giving time to type. There might be big outdoor everyone on the server pile on raids in the vein of EQ / daoc, where you want to run open raids though, could be useful then.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Was actually going to create a thread on this today.

It would make sense that they'll add voice chat similar to that in planetside 2.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Discuss...

Please, no!

People should just STFU online.

I hate listening to them.  This is one of the reasons I vastly prefer PSN to Xbox Live.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

ooh VOIP...

sure? why not?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I don't want to hear anyone not in my guild, group, or party.

Dunno, think it would be pretty cool if they added planetside 2 voice channels with a voice modulator you customize at character select.

Make your voice all high pitched and gruff if you're a gnome.

Ogres and trolls would be a bassy and silly sounding.

Sounds next gen to me!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    the #1 focus for any voip system should be adding a voice-to-text for the people that cant use it/dont like it.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

everytime I see an in game VOIP I cringe when I hear its quality.  right back to a 3rd party voip for me.

I dunno...I miss the days before vent.  I miss having to coordinate something via text before the encounter.  for me voip is terribly immersion breaking but its needed and I use it.

I do miss the old days of pumping up the in game music and getting lost in the game without having to hear what some dude did this weekend or deal with 50 people trying to coordinate in voip..

voip quality in planetside 2 is great.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109
    Yes please. Just add the ability to mute anyone. Love  it in PS2 hearing players call out enemy positions and such in proximity, very immersive. Annoying children or trolls can just as easily be muted.