Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge – New Free-to-Play business model announced starting July

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

There will be 2 new premium packages....

"The 30 days package is priced at KRW 19,800 (USD 17.50) while the 90 days package at KRW 47,500 (USD 42.00)."

Is this any indication of how the game is doing in Korea? F2P in less than 6 months.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• RobinffsRobinffs Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The reports claim that while ArcheAge is a consistent title in the top 5 rankings of games played in Korea’s internet cafes (or PC bangs), its overall market share is still unable to topple rivals such as Aion and Blade & Soul. The game is also finding it tough to break into the top 10 games for overall market share.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I imagine having a sub fee was always going to be a tough sell in Korea, there are just to many f2p option out there that are better established.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Free-2-Play is becoming a bane anyhow..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Robinffs
    The reports claim that while ArcheAge is a consistent title in the top 5 rankings of games played in Korea’s internet cafes (or PC bangs), its overall market share is still unable to topple rivals such as Aion and Blade & Soul. The game is also finding it tough to break into the top 10 games for overall market share.

I wonder if this is any indication of how the game will perform in Western markets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Korean games generally perform worse in Western markets compared to Asian markets?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    I wonder why they call it "starting" since I haven't paid my sub in 1,5 months and still can log in.  Anyway sad to see this happening in such a early state.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    A lot of people are going to bleed their hearts out. anyways good for us that never liked the idea of paying a sub for the honor of playing the same thing over and over.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Robinffs

The two markets couldn't be more different.  As you said, they love Aion and Blade & Soul.  Here those are considered largely "meh".  They like their themepark grinders over there.  I think we are ready for something else here.

With all the stuff coming down the pipe, I'm not relying on this one to be the winner, but I'm hoping it's still a good game and finds a solid niche here.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Since when do Koreans pay monthly for MMO's?

I was under the impression that they payed by the hour, similar to China.  I could be mistaken though.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I think this game has a chance to do well over here I know I am really looking forward to playing it here is oping it is a hit. Just talked to a few of my friends that i play vanguard with and they all said they signed up for the beta, which is good news.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Alders

Since when do Koreans pay monthly for MMO's?

I was under the impression that they payed by the hour, similar to China.  I could be mistaken though.

LOL didn't Tera try to break that mold?

From what I understand, most games ate 100% free and their cash shops are several times cheaper than what we see over here...

Hard to judge a game on how its doing in korea.  I don't even think the now 100% free and international Aion is doing well..despite an insane amount of updates coming from korea...what they love over there tends to flop very hard over here.  Not sure if that's a blessing for the game or not considering its not doing too hot over there...but then if im not mistaken they are doing it p2p which never does well over there...

AA certainly looks to be a good themepark with a lot of stuff compared to most other themeparks that now seem to crutch on dynamic events.  I know tion is publishing but they are not the developers...so I think that the fate of this game (which I feel is going to be somewhat grim) is going to be a bane for trion in the long run.  Everything I hear from people who have and are playing AA lead me to believe its not as good as people want it to be...certainly not the sandbox game that got me interested all those years ago.