Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     Every few years this topic pops up, some consider it the end of the PC era. Every few years the PC proves it's not going anywhere, its a workhorse whose functionality extends beyond gaming and has a place in every home. I played consoles as a kid, I've owned a PS3 which currently collects dust ( Only purchased it for the FF series ). I won't be purchasing another one again, consoles are less and less relevant to me as I get older. BTW I've seen this discussion at least twice on this site, there still aren't enough Mmo's being made for the console to even warrant the discussion.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    If they had mouse and keyboard functionality I would consider it. 
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Originally posted by Jorl The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol
    Odd I own a good pc and these graphics look quite nice to me........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s

PC has had quality like this for a while.

The problem i see is that ps3 graphics quality may look great when you first buy the system, But its is only going to diminish as the hardware ages while the PC continues to evolve..

I said I found the graphics quite nice. I never commented on PC graphics at all, I have a nice PC (always have) I know what the graphics can look like lol and I still say these are quite nice.

P.S. Also that's PS4 not PS3 image

No signature, I don't have a pen

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Terranah

^^^

This

As well as the capability to upgrade components (i.e. GPU, RAM, HDD)

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    It's funny sometime in the next 10-15 years we'll have quantum computers to play with, when that happens consoles are done :p

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

^^^

This

Then it would be a PC not a console image

Also the current consoles and the next gen X1 and PS4 have keyboard and mouse support. It's up to the game devs to take advantage of that or not.

^^^

This

Also the current consoles and the next gen X1 and PS4 have keyboard and mouse support. It's up to the game devs to take advantage of that or not.

I dont think the ability/inability to upgrade hardware components makes the difference between a PC and a Console.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

^^^

This

I dont think the ability/inability to upgrade hardware components makes the difference between a PC and a Console.

Actually that is exactly the difference, fixed versus variable spec.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well... PC has always been superior to console. A console doesn't have the benefit of constant upgrades so it will often be 'dated' within a year of its launch (they lose money but they don't go overboard either with the best of the best when they create a console since costs would be to insane).

A PC has and always will be superior to consoles. Heck, given we get more things to stream content from our PC in one room to our living room, a PC could easily replace a console if they get a way to bridge the gap to make a PC simpler for that type of setting and to function much like a console. 

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Blackaddera
    It's funny sometime in the next 10-15 years we'll have quantum computers to play with, when that happens consoles are done :p

Because Consoles couldn't possibly have quantum computing parts as well right? Nothing is really going to change, because ultimately the problem with PC gaming is simply that it is more expensive IF you cannot build your own PC. The main advantage Pc gaming it is cheaper IF you can build it, but just like some people can rebuild an engine and the majority cant, the same goes for building a PC. The majority of games or at least MMO are released with subpar graphics the graphical advantage of the average gaming PC (I don't mean YOU guys because you are certaintly not average) isn't that much higher than the ps4 and xbone.

^^^

This

I always thought the real  difference was what the machine can do. Ex- Play games and watch movies/TV (Console) as opposed to doing that and everything else (PC)

^^^

This

I always thought the real  difference was what the machine can do. Ex- Play games and watch movies/TV (Console) as opposed to doing that and everything else (PC)

I'm speaking purely in terms of Gaming as to me that's what I have always owned consoles for. What you said is also true though obviously.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well... PC has always been superior to console. A console doesn't have the benefit of constant upgrades so it will often be 'dated' within a year of its launch (they lose money but they don't go overboard either with the best of the best when they create a console since costs would be to insane).

Laptops have that issue. You can't upgrade anything except the amount of memory.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Purutzil Well... PC has always been superior to console. A console doesn't have the benefit of constant upgrades so it will often be 'dated' within a year of its launch (they lose money but they don't go overboard either with the best of the best when they create a console since costs would be to insane).  
    Laptops have that issue. You can't upgrade anything except the amount of memory.

That's actually false.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Purutzil Well... PC has always been superior to console. A console doesn't have the benefit of constant upgrades so it will often be 'dated' within a year of its launch (they lose money but they don't go overboard either with the best of the best when they create a console since costs would be to insane).  

That's actually false.

Really? I have couple of laptops, none allows me to change the CPU, nor the graphics card.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by silvermember
    Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Are you going to do your homework on a console?

Unless you are in grad school or less than 21, you dont need to do homework. At generally, the school provides enough computers to do your homework anyways.

Are you gonna do any modding on a console?

Most mods are not worth the time. Generally they are so few that, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. In the case of skyrim, it made a shitty PC game. Most of the mods fixed things that should have been fixed and the fact that the dev outsourced their game to the players while charging them 60 bucks is sad. What is even more sadder is how players are actually proud of it as well. Now with the witcher 2 that is different, if it wasnt for the fact that it took two years for the modding tools to be released.

But finally very few games are even modded.

Are you gonna do any graphics on a console?

We have reached the point were graphics especially with the new gen, wont be playing that big of a role.

Are you gonna do any music on a console?

Why do you need to music? I don't, maybe you do.

Are you gonna do any programming on a console?

really? programming, you couldn't think of a better reason and just had to throw in this bullshit ass reason? I see, just because you play games you must be a programmer, is that what it is?

If you want to do anything else than gaming, playing videos, listening to music and maybe browsing, you will need a PC of some kind (minimum a laptop).

Especially if you want to create something.

Most of the reason you provided are just AWFUL. The first three had a valid point, but this last generation, very few games ever bother releasing modding tools and I doubt the trend will improve. Most of the PC games were better looking, but this new generation that advantage is becoming more and more irrelevant. We are reaching the point where graphics simply don't sell the game as it did in the past.

So now, you are stuck on the PC playing games that are bound on steam which has just as much DRM as xbone w/o the added benefit of trading your game.

My point was, that any creative work will need a PC. I mentioned some examples, and since I am a programmer myself, I don't see the last one as a silly example.

Many people do programming these days, as web programming has become so important.

To answer your green notes:

Who the hell are you to judge, what people find important? If they want to make graphics, music/sounds, mods or anything else creative, will be up to them. Modding still happens alot on PCs.

Im sure people can come up with many more examples of creative stuff to do, and I bet you will see, that it is not possible to do it on a console.

This discussion is about GAMING ... Not music or programming or anything else... Or course those cant be made on a console what kind of ridiculous argument is that ??

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by steamtank

until consoles come packaged with KB+M  i dont see any true MMO fans wanting to switch platforms.

nothing I have seen done for a console even approaches the control setup needed for a moderate to complex mmo.

i have no issue switching to a console if the games dont actually suffer for it.... but they always do right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

That does nothing for those of us who do not like controllers.  I'll take a mouse and keyboard over a controller, no matter how "convenient" they try to make them.  That alone is enough for me to pass up on any console.  When and if they ever decide to make M+KB a standard part of the console, then I might consider it over the PC, but only if they offer high end versions with the same computing power and video processing I get with my high end PC.

What for heaven you are talking?? You have keyboards for ps3 and mouses,you have some normal models from logitech  exct.. --image

They are not standard equipment and most console games don't take advantage of them or utilize them poorly in comparison to PC games.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

That's actually false.

Really? I have couple of laptops, none allows me to change the CPU, nor the graphics card.

Most laptops are limited in there upgrade options and ususally the cheaper one is the more limited but the more premium ones will let you cange cpu,gpu,hard drive as well as memory limited to what the built in Motherboard can handle of course.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?

Graphics:  About the Same

Controls:  Both can use controllers, but Mouse/Keyboard people have to play on a PC.

Voice Chat:  Most Consoles have integrated voice chat beyond the normal game Voice Chat, PC's can use the game voice chat or another program such s Skype, Teamspeak, and Ventrillo.

Price:  Generally speaking, consoles have recently become cheaper than a "good" gaming PC.

*Servers:  Since Microsoft and Sony rarely want to play well together, the chances of cross-server grouping is slim

Servers are the biggest issue, IMO.  In all honesty, console MMO gaming is small in comparison to PC MMO gaming.  There are exceptions, of course, but when it comes down to it; PC servers will have a higher population.

Granted, this all changes if they allow the aforementioned cross-server grouping.  Defiance was supposed to have it, but it was removed due to issues between the bickering children that are Microsoft Sony.

No, just no. The PS4, even at launch, will not be able to compete with dedicated gaming PCs. PCs by their very nature have a leg up on consoles in the hardware department that consoles are never going to match. But they don't have to - you get far more results for the money due to the dedicated nature of consoles.

<3

Originally posted by dreamscaper

No, just no. The PS4, even at launch, will not be able to compete with dedicated gaming PCs. PCs by their very nature have a leg up on consoles in the hardware department that consoles are never going to match. But they don't have to - you get far more results for the money due to the dedicated nature of consoles.

I don't have a dedicated gaming PC. I play games on my laptop (with an nvidia graphics card), which is no where close to what the PS4 can do (even when i can run CoD, D3  and most games on high).

It is highly unlikely that i will buy a dedicated gaming PC. And i guess that is not a big market. PS4, OTOH, is much more likely for me .. because it is just $400.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Who is so poor that they cannot afford both consoles and a pc. And if you are that poor: should you be playing games in the first place?

Its a depression, what world do you live in?  Yes if you cannot afford a extra $500 and $60 per game, you should get a second or third job (with high unemployment) or sit in a ditch instead of having entertainment or releasing any of your stress.  Damn those hard working poor people for wanting to enjoy parts of their life.

A world where if you have education and dedication, you are doing just fine. Only exception would be countries with insane economic issues such as Greece (Italy, U.S.A. and Spain do not qualify).

Those hard working (except they got there in the first place for not working hard with the things that they should have)  poor people, can start using their imagination and play sports. Soccer works perfectly well for many poor people.

What does impugning people for their economic status have to do with the topic at hand?  The last thing I need or want is someone dictating how I entertain myself due to my income level.  Especially when their fortunate status is due in part to everyone around them, including those unfortunate poor who do work hard, but are unable to get better jobs for many, many reasons besides the obnoxious jabs you like to whip them with.

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?

Graphics:  About the Same

Controls:  Both can use controllers, but Mouse/Keyboard people have to play on a PC.

Voice Chat:  Most Consoles have integrated voice chat beyond the normal game Voice Chat, PC's can use the game voice chat or another program such s Skype, Teamspeak, and Ventrillo.

Price:  Generally speaking, consoles have recently become cheaper than a "good" gaming PC.

*Servers:  Since Microsoft and Sony rarely want to play well together, the chances of cross-server grouping is slim

Servers are the biggest issue, IMO.  In all honesty, console MMO gaming is small in comparison to PC MMO gaming.  There are exceptions, of course, but when it comes down to it; PC servers will have a higher population.

Granted, this all changes if they allow the aforementioned cross-server grouping.  Defiance was supposed to have it, but it was removed due to issues between the bickering children that are Microsoft Sony.

Not really.  I've owned an Xbox 360 and got rid of it for a Playstation 3, mainly for the ability to stream Netflix and Amazon.  The few games I had on either system had as many bug fix patches as any PC game I've had.  Unified architectures do nothing for shoddily made programs it would seem.  In fact, Elder Scrolls:  Oblivion was unplayable at release.  It would crash on the PS3 every few seconds till they released a patch a few days later and even then, crashed regularly, but over longer periods of time.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

I can't stand controller ,my hands hurt after 30 min of play no matter how i hold it.  so no thanks you,

i will keep my keyboard and mouse,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20

This thread is pretty bizarre to me, as just the other day I was thinking "Why are they coming out with these new consoles when the current capabilities of PCs already beat their supposed 'next-gen' hardware and functionality.  The consoles are inferior hardware that run an inferior operating system and only serve to hold the industry back."

It actually blows me away that people are thinking the opposite.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Rome Total War 2 is all the reason I need for my PC to remain my go-to device for gaming, I still play the first regularly as well as Medieval TW 2, Empire TW and Shogun TW2.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

This discussion has been closed.