Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I and maybe you will be getting a Xbox One

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

First of all I just want to say that in no way am I being biased toward any console here. I have owned both consoles and both had their advantages and disadvantages. I totally understand and do not fault anyone who does not like Microsoft's new policies on the Xbox One. Three reasons why I'll be getting a Xbox One.

1. The games. The games were just so much better than what Sony had to offer. Everyone was complaining after Microsoft's first Xbox One's reveal about how there was no focus on games. Totally understand and a very viable gripe but at E3 they clearly had the game advantage and games are what matters most to players. They had Ryse which looked very very good and TitanFall which was amazing. Those Titan mechs were awesome to watch in action. You also had Quantum Break which clearly is going to be open of the most innovative titles this next-gen. Sony maybe more policy friendly towards gamers but games are what matter the most.

2. It is more than just games. Maybe because I'm in my 40's now I look at things a little bit different but having a console at home that gives you more than just games is very appealing to me and perhaps to the older gamer as well. We just don't like games, we also like sports and tv. To have that all in one box is quite nice. 

3. A more mature audience. The other thing I will mention that perhaps with Microsoft's new design for the Xbox One you may even get a more mature audience on the Xbox now. You know not every immature 15 year old can afford the new Xbox One. People always complained about  how the Xbox gets a bad rap with having a bad community. Perhaps now things will change now that Microsoft seems to be catering towards the more mature crowd these days.

Comments

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I agree with you on all points. I will also be getting both consoles. Like you I am an older gamer(36) and the multimedia device appeals to me and makes for an easier sell for my wife.  Furthermore, many of the upsetting info about the Xbox One has been corrected or addressed since the initial(very poor) announcement. I suspect they will bend their policies a bit as we get closed to launch, but I am ok with most of them if not. Some of the negatives are looking to be positives as the details get worked out too.

BTW- The first aftermarket company to make a blindfold/muffler for the connect will be rich! Paranoia runs strong here in America.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Games? Ryse doesnt look that great just press button to win at the right moment game.

Titanfall agree is cool but will be on PC too. Spark didnt spark my interest. Halo 5 no ty.

The games arnt what turn me off from xbox one. Microsoft is what turns me off from it.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I'm 37 and I have 1 box attached to my TV right now. A Ps3. What will X-box have that I must buy the new system to obtain other than some nifty things I won't use when watching Netflix or wirelessly streaming things to it from my PC? I have 3 PS3's around my house, each of them can retrieve packets from my PC and stream them wirelessly. While the Kinect is neat, I don't see myself even wanting to like it. Yes, I can use my hands to channel surf instead of holding the remote in my hand, but, I'm still very comfortable with using a remote.

And cost has nothing to do with the age of the gamer, I see children running around with iPhone 5's all the time.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Almost 32 years old. Not a fan of the cable box stuff or kinect stuff. I liked Titanfall and will get it on PC. As for a more mature audience I doubt it. Just go to the Bungie website forums and look at their age poll.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

They totally lost me with the idea that you must be online each day for it to work. That I cant exchange games with my friends don't help either.

If I buy a console from the new generation it will be a PS4, but then again it is 75% that I just play on my PC.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    No thanks to the new crap box, incoming PS4 here.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I think the only thing that will pull me in to the X1 would be if they get some exclusive Media rights to watch certain channels for a small fee rather then subscribing to a cable company.  There was some talk about that originally, but I haven't heard much about it at E3.  If that doesn't happen I don't see myself needing an X1 to watch netflix, hulu, amazon prime, or any of the others.  I know Redbox is currently an exclusive for Microsoft, but theres so much overlap I don't need all of those. 

I do like some Microsoft exclusives, but never enough to buy the system.  I'd rather buy a Wii U for their exclusives then an X1.  The PS4 just seems like an overall better platform. Cost means relatively little, but PS+ has proven to be a better service, and the PS3 has proven to be a better overall system for me.

I might pick up an X1 eventually,  but it will definitely be much farther down the line,  I see myself getting a PS4 and Wii U before then.

• supermike27supermike27 Member Posts: 24
    The thing about xbox that turns me off is all the shooters. Ryse was an exception which looked awesome but guess how it plays like God of War same setting and everything just without mythology being heavy in it from what I saw still looks good. Titanfall is another good one that impressed me along with spark. THATS IT im not going to pay more money and make it so I have to connect to the internet so it can scan my xbox to make sure im not cheating them. My internet is on old cable lines ive had it go out for a week before someone was able to come fix it. On top of that what happens when hackers hack their network and shut it down to test that theory? Ive owned an xbox xbox360 NES SNES Nintendo64 Wii WiiU Genesis Sega CD Dreamcast PS1 PS2 PS3 ive owned a lot of consoles in my time and this time from the standpoint of Microsoft on gamers I can honestly say I will not buy one anytime soon. Im also a heavy RPG player I LOVE! RPGS playstation 4 has 2 from one company I have to have KH3 and FF15. Ontop of another one by santamonica studios with The Order. Second Son is going to be sick and you can look forward to Naughty Dogs new games Media Molecules New Games and so on and so forth. Have fun having Kinect watch u all the time paying another subscription fee so u can stream ur sports not able to rent games on day one so you better hope they have some titles u cant live without right out the gate. Oh yea and borrowing games ive borrowed games from friends then went out and bought them but the thing is he didn't have to come over and login to his account for me to do so and then have Microsoft check your system every hour to make sure ur not cheating them. Screw M$ they will lose this round of consoles and sell only a few more than Wii U
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by huskie77

I agree with you on all points. I will also be getting both consoles. Like you I am an older gamer(36) and the multimedia device appeals to me and makes for an easier sell for my wife.  Furthermore, many of the upsetting info about the Xbox One has been corrected or addressed since the initial(very poor) announcement. I suspect they will bend their policies a bit as we get closed to launch, but I am ok with most of them if not. Some of the negatives are looking to be positives as the details get worked out too.BTW- The first aftermarket company to make a blindfold/muffler for the connect will be rich! Paranoia runs strong here in America.

Hold it right there!!! Since when is 36 old?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Normandy7

First of all I just want to say that in no way am I being biased toward any console here. I have owned both consoles and both had their advantages and disadvantages. I totally understand and do not fault anyone who does not like Microsoft's new policies on the Xbox One. Three reasons why I'll be getting a Xbox One.

1. The games. The games were just so much better than what Sony had to offer. Everyone was complaining after Microsoft's first Xbox One's reveal about how there was no focus on games. Totally understand and a very viable gripe but at E3 they clearly had the game advantage and games are what matters most to players. They had Ryse which looked very very good and TitanFall which was amazing. Those Titan mechs were awesome to watch in action. You also had Quantum Break which clearly is going to be open of the most innovative titles this next-gen. Sony maybe more policy friendly towards gamers but games are what matter the most.

2. It is more than just games. Maybe because I'm in my 40's now I look at things a little bit different but having a console at home that gives you more than just games is very appealing to me and perhaps to the older gamer as well. We just don't like games, we also like sports and tv. To have that all in one box is quite nice. 

3. A more mature audience. The other thing I will mention that perhaps with Microsoft's new design for the Xbox One you may even get a more mature audience on the Xbox now. You know not every immature 15 year old can afford the new Xbox One. People always complained about  how the Xbox gets a bad rap with having a bad community. Perhaps now things will change now that Microsoft seems to be catering towards the more mature crowd these days.

1. The Games - Actually there really aren't many Xbox One exclusives. Almost all of the "exclusives" are also slated for PC release. This leaves very few games I would actually need an Xbox One to play. On top of that they had fewer exclusives than PS4 to begin with. Most places you look show Sony in the lead for games especially in exclusives. 

2. I like gimmicky gadgets as much as the next guy but... the Xbox One really just seemed to have a lot of redundant features. It doesn't do as much as the devices it attempts to replace and it doesn't function as well either. It's neat they are trying to branch out but they really need to do more before it becomes a selling point. As of now it seems more of a waste of resources that could have been better used else where. 

3. More Mature Audience - Sadly no. The Xbox Ones core audience are going to be the kids that are simply Xbox fans. They don't care about how restrictive and ungamer friendly the Xbox One is. They don't really care about the privacy concerns. They aren't thinking about the big picture when it comes to the online authentication policy. They don't care about the value. All they really care about is that it is an Xbox. The more mature gamers are definitely going to be on the PS4 for a great number of reasons. The Value, the pro-consumer attitude, the indie support, for having better hardware, etc. I mean of the two the PS4 really is the one geared for the more responsible and conscientious. The Xbox One is definitely aimed more towards those that aren't overly thoughtful about their purchases. 

I for one will not only be passing on the Xbox One due to numerous policy and design missteps but also because they shot their selves in the foot by putting almost all of the Microsoft exclusives on PC as well. I already have a beast of a PC gaming rig, why would I downgrade to play the same games I could be playing on my PC?

Sorry, Xbox One is a bad buy on so many fronts its not even funny. PS4 + PC = all you need unless you like Zelda and Mario basically. 

I guess since we seem to be validating our posts with our age here I will simply say I have two grandchildren lol... 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I'll be getting Xbox One just to play The Divsion
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

Maybe I'm weird, but the exclusives turned me off more than on to the Xbox1. "Here are games where you can shoot people! and here are more!  and here's another one!" I don't like shooting in the first person, nor even in the third person. Shooting isn't fun to me in a game, I shoot deer and flying targets and ducks in real life. 

Also, I'm 20 years old. So this post is invalidated I guess. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

My family and I just aren't sold on any of those points.

1. Two or three games aren't enough to make me choose XBone over my current PS3 or the upcoming PS4. A console game lasts us a month or two in most cases, so that's not a selling point here.

2. We've got a Roku 2 XD. Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo,PBS Kids, news, sports... at about 430 USD less than an XBone. True, it doesn't play Blu-Ray discs, but I have yet to own a Blu-Ray disc and don't see it happening any time in the near future. If Ido, well, that's what the PS3 is there for when my son isn't sneaking in a game of Saint's Row 3.

3. If anything, the extra hundred dollars will prevent the more sensible (and, as a result, more likely the more mature) from jumping on it until the price comes down. The GOTTAHAVEITNOW crowd will be the ones to form and foster (I use that word loosely) the core community.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Betaguy

Any reason you're not going to get it on ps4 instead?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

1. Subjective but really the only games that sparked my interest on xbox one are mostly coming to PC as well except Killer Instinct.MS showed more exclusives than Sony did at their conferences but Sony has more exclusives listed for the next year or two after launch.What Sony did show however interested me more The Order 1866,The Division and Infamous Second Sons looks incredible and I haven't played any of the others.

2. I already have devices that can do most of what the xbox one offers and have had for over a year or so,I don't need xbox one to do it I just want to play games on a console.

3. The actual boxes to me don't look much different to each other honestly except Xbox one is a bulkier black box but that's it.I think your stretching things really thin on the maturity thing.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I do like what the Xbox One has to offer. I already have a big stack of "boxes" piled around my TV.

You know what I dragged out the other day and played? My GameCube. I played Crystal Defenders. Fun.

Do I need another box? NO.....  Am I going to buy another box? NO....

Who am I kidding.....

Life is Short, Read a Book.

Originally posted by Xzen

I have had a boycott on Sony products of any kind since 2005.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

After watching the trailers and some articles for that I have to admit it looks awesome.  Some co-workers and I were watching the trailer and tripped out when we found out the dude in the helicopter was playing on his mobile device.  That's just fricken genius right there.

I agree with the OP mostly, except maybe the last point.  A lot of kids could be playing on their parent's system.

If I get one I'll wait and see if a better package deal comes out and some of the rough edges are polished.

Yeah The Division looked epic on the PS4 ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdRKJL1ffz0

Why get the PS4 instead?  The DRM, online verification, and region lock aren't factors to me.  The hardware is nearly identical, or practically so and the price points aren't that far off from each other if you consider the Sony version of Kinect.  The premium services cost roughly the same.  The free game selection for the PS4 appeals to me , as does the Windows integration with the XB1.

Because he said he was getting an xbox one just for "The Devision" which is coming out on both platforms so it's not really a selling point. Was just digging for his reasons. Though the ones you provided were good. =)

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53

maybe its an age thing....I am 20....me and all of my friends are getting the ps4 because that console has every single game coming out for it that we want to play, which are quite a lot. 

The xbox one....has absolutely zero that are not also coming to PC...

Getting the xbox one for us would be absolutely useless in more ways than one.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

I've never owned a console and have no bias towards xbox, sony or anyone else.

The only reason that I would buy a console would be if there was a game that I decided was "must have" that was locked to a particular console.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

Why get the PS4 instead?  The DRM, online verification, and region lock aren't factors to me.  The hardware is nearly identical, or practically so and the price points aren't that far off from each other if you consider the Sony version of Kinect.  The premium services cost roughly the same.  The free game selection for the PS4 appeals to me , as does the Windows integration with the XB1.

Because he said he was getting an xbox one just for "The Devision" which is coming out on both platforms so it's not really a selling point. Was just digging for his reasons. Though the ones you provided were good. =)

I am a Microsoft/BG follower what can I say, I am honest. ;) Also as I stated before I have not bought any Sony products since 2005. I have a life long boycott against them.

Also all my online friends are on the microsoft network and will stay there most likely.  Playing with them is what makes games fun for me.

No lol... the hardware isn't identical at all. The APU the PS4 is using is getting a huge performance boost from the GDDR5 memory the PS4 is using. Graphically the Xbox One is actually a lot lower end. Other than that there isn't a huge difference. It was nice seeing Sony being sony and investing in better hardware. I do agree that the kinect is better than the PS4 version, but I was never much of a Kinect fan and with the always on thing especially since I like to game in my room while comfortable often I'll have to say that the new Kinect appeals to me even less lol. 

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

1. I do agree that 360 had some decent games on it, and I at some point wanted a 360 for that reason. Sadly, with the bombs that Microsoft keeps dropping on everyone, there aren't going to be many companies that are willing to even bother making games for Microsoft. I think we will see the opposite of what happened with the previous generation of consoles.

Microsoft, with the 360 started off great, and had a great run, with a still decent system. 

PS3 had a hard start (lack of games) , but ultimately grew into a great system with lots and lots of variety. 

This time around, I think Microsoft is going to start off great, and as people witness how awful the system actually is, and the little amount of people that are purchasing games for it, developers will be less prone to make games for the system, as that system is not netting them any money. 

2. I am 29, I enjoy the media aspect of my console as well. I then ask myself, do I want to drop X amount of dollars per month to use those media aspects? Do I really want to pay an additional fee to open my Netflix, on a console? Sony gives you the same features, but they cut out the need to pay an additional fee for it. 

I don't  have to pay to watch Crackle, Netflix, Hulu+, any of the MLB/NBA/NFL channels on my PS3, I will have to pay a gold membership though, if I want to use any of that on Xbox 360, or Xbox One. 

3. This means nothing. The Xbox 360 was a 400 dollar product on launch, and you had to pay to go online. This did not detour the 15 year olds with mental issues from infecting games. You're going to see this on both the PS4 and XB1 regardless of what you do. There will be no 'nullifying the toxic community'. If you're playing a game online, toxic players will be there, whether you spent 10000000 dollars on your console, or 1 dollar on your console.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I agree much of it is similar except

- no renting games on X1

- no streaming media without premium services   (PN+ is not required for netflix, etc)

- x1 is unable to play games unless internet connected every 24 hrs 

(making it an issue for any traveling w X1 where internet access is limited/absent)