Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift just might be the best MMO out now

Comments

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    yep, population the last month has increased by a huge number. i think after f2p many more will come. we will see
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I won't argue it is an awesome game, but it is not the best imho. 

I'm sitting here right now for my server to open and I'm anxious to start...

Face it - when did you last get THAT feeling?  Can you remember that far back?   :)

Well like I said, it's not the best out. I think GW2 has more to offer in terms of replayability, and TSW in terms of fun and being different. Rift though, has a lot of content, and most of the time the players are mature which I like. I'm hoping the f2p model doesn't ruin that! I have one more level to hit 60 on my main, and then I'm starting another which I am excited about!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

the best mmo is the one that makes you feel nice and have a great when you play it. i m having great time with RIFT and thats enough for me.
  • sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

this thread has convinced me to try it again.

installing now, i have a question though... it's free to play now i'm assuming., but does one need to still buy storm legion to play that? i bought the actual game long ago but not the expansion.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Manolios
    the best mmo is the one that makes you feel nice and have a great when you play it. i m having great time with RIFT and thats enough for me.

I have to agree! The problem is there are so many titles out there it has us all scattered to the high winds, and it cuts down on population across the board. We need to boycott everything and bring back Vanilla WoW and EQ1. :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    OK folks, Im going to try again. I haven't played since open beta. I'll try again and see what happens :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• French_Fr1esFrench_Fr1es Member UncommonPosts: 42
    guys i will go to join now rift and i want your opinion about what class to make?i like to play dps 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Its either Rift or Swtor best mmorpgs out
  • MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Ehh swtor and best should never ever be said. I don't even think Rift should be either and I like it.
  • rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

Ehh swtor and best should never ever be said. I don't even think Rift should be either and I like it.

to each his opinion remmber that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    I know but saying the best is really out there. I'm not comfortable saying things like that in mmo's. It's implying kinda like it's a no brainer.
  • rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    I know but saying the best is really out there. I'm not comfortable saying things like that in mmo's. It's implying kinda like it's a no brainer.

i know just saying coz alot of people dosnt know the fact :)

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by George_LP
    guys i will go to join now rift and i want your opinion about what class to make?i like to play dps 

Cleric inquisitor is one of my favorite's

Mage warlock is also pretty good.

Not sure about fighter or rogue's though.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

im going to have to toss my hat in on this one as well and say that i have been actually thoroughly enjoying my time in Rift and Defiance. Trion has been a solid company, but im not sure that anyone can put their finger on exactly why it never really took off like it should have.

personally, i think it was what a lot of folks have mentioned here and something that a number of us brought up during the beta periods: content. you cannot focus a game primarily on one aspect, in this case rifts, in Defiance's case arkfalls.

however, apparently Trion's development strategy is lay a very basic framework and then to build out from there, rather than to lay almost everything out from the beginning. their strategy actually makes expansions and the more common DLCs actually integrate more and flesh out the framework. whereas the more common formula requires an almost complete rewrite every time content is released. (yes, these are all generalizations, but as such i still think they hold true.)

so ya, im enjoying both games right now. both are solid and i think have a good chance to grow as f2p/b2p games.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by George_LP

cleric---> many healing souls, spell caster, melee dps, support, 1 tank soul with shield+one hand

mage---> 1 healing soul,  support role, various caster souls (e.g. warlock, necro, pyro etc), 1 melee dps soul

rogue---> various rogue combinations, hunter, tank with dual hand, support role as bard

warrior---> various tanking souls, melee dps, support, dps as beastmaster

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

eh i tried to go back and play it, levelled a cleric to 10 and it just doesn't do anything for me.. the game feels so hollow and lacks any depth beyond the cool skill tree.

there's something about warcraft that makes you feel in it, involved and then there's something about these other games like rift and guild wars 2 that make you feel like a far off and distant observer.

i'll try it again later but it will probably be yet another game i uninstall due to a lack of mental stimulation and depth.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I've been playing for a few weeks now, and I must admit I've been having much more fun that I did the first time around. 

I like the new souls. Leveling is a bit quicker. The starting zone is much faster, (Thank goodness) and I rather enjoy the dungeon finder. 

While 1-29 chat can become pretty awful, I typically find decent conversation. Or at least something entertaining. :P

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Rift is a great game for people that don't care about the things rift doesnt do well (game world, immersion, combat depth, crafting depth)

Its a nice game for carrot chasers and achievers though (and Im not trying to attach a negative meaning to carrot chasing, I dont think its necessarily a bad mechanic) and has the second best modern housing system behind only EQ2.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Used to be a lot better before they made the souls so much alike.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by sxvs

eh i tried to go back and play it, levelled a cleric to 10 and it just doesn't do anything for me.. the game feels so hollow and lacks any depth beyond the cool skill tree.

there's something about warcraft that makes you feel in it, involved and then there's something about these other games like rift and guild wars 2 that make you feel like a far off and distant observer.

i'll try it again later but it will probably be yet another game i uninstall due to a lack of mental stimulation and depth.

I agree with this, except for the gw2 part.  The gw2 racial cities are amazing and draw you into your race a bit.  I dislike the super short progression though, you get your skills way too quickly imo.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Macroing killed my Rift experience outside of that I enjoyed the game very much. I still think it's one of the TOP 5 MMO's to actually put some time into.

I have seen this argument over and over. "Macros killed my Rift experience" I played Rift heavily up until SL where I quit a week into the expansion. It just didn't grab me. However, up until that point. I can say that while Macros were used heavily, those who relied to heavily on them were mediocre players at best.

Someone who mastered thier class and toned down the macros to more of an assistance rather than a crutch always out performed those who were macro dependent. While DPS was affected in PVE, It was much more profound in PVP where macros constantly broke CC and what not.

Anyway, I used Macros, but I kept them to a minimum.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

yea .. spent the last 2 days .. trying to play Rift again. I just couldn't. Fedexing quests for a couple of hours for 2 bars of xp at level 50 just ushered in all of the memories of why I was bored of this game the first time around.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I would be very embarrassed to admit how many hours I've spent in game.  Suffice it to say, I think this is the only game in town right now.  At least for me.

• lelyelelye Member Posts: 4
    Considering that it became f2p.. well probably..
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Terranah

I would be very embarrassed to admit how many hours I've spent in game.  Suffice it to say, I think this is the only game in town right now.  At least for me.

same feelings here :)