Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift just might be the best MMO out now

joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

I had purchased Storm Legion a while ago and have been playing the game for about a week, and now that it's going free it's pretty insane how much content people will get for no charge. It's crazy all the stuff there is to do in this game as well as the class/soul selections. I haven't had this much fun in a while.

Comments

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

If you had posted this even a week ago, I would have Laughed at you. Now, Ive went back and tried it after being gone for over 18months.. The game has changed A LOT. Having a blast and even though its F2P, I like the perks of having a Sub.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Macroing killed my Rift experience outside of that I enjoyed the game very much. I still think it's one of the TOP 5 MMO's to actually put some time into.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Macroing killed my Rift experience outside of that I enjoyed the game very much. I still think it's one of the TOP 5 MMO's to actually put some time into.

The ability to macro was heavily nerfed with Storm Legion, its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Originally posted by Moodsor

The ability to macro was heavily nerfed with Storm Legion, its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Word? Cause that would be a definate plus for real. I enjoyed the PvP in the game, the many options you have for actually making a build.

Then I discovered the macro in game and once I got mine setup I found I had stole a bit of enjoyment of the game from myself. Then realizing that "someone is always better than you" it became apparent that some folks were facerolling based on their macros alone.

If they've actually toned it down though it would be a good thing for sure. Can you relay to me a bit how it change?

Have they reduced the amount of macros you can have or what other routes may they have taken to nerf this?

Word? Cause that would be a definate plus for real. I enjoyed the PvP in the game, the many options you have for actually making a build.

Then I discovered the macro in game and once I got mine setup I found I had stole a bit of enjoyment of the game from myself. Then realizing that "someone is always better than you" it became apparent that some folks were facerolling based on their macros alone.

If they've actually toned it down though it would be a good thing for sure. Can you relay to me a bit how it change?

Have they reduced the amount of macros you can have or what other routes may they have taken to nerf this?

The main way they did it was to make a ton of abilities instant, so there no longer was an advantage in macroing them as it would always just cast the first on the list.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The main way they did it was to make a ton of abilities instant, so there no longer was an advantage in macroing them as it would always just cast the first on the list.

^This. A lot of stuff is made purposely to not be tied to a macro. It can be a bit annoying for some classes that already have a lot of buttons (warriors in particular have this issue, as well as Dot focused mage builds). In some part I do hope they let some more stuff get macroed, though I do actually like having to have more skills to use strategically, just as long as stuff doesn't get to tedius or insane with what you press. This coming from a game who played Feral DPS in WoW during Wotlk when it was considered to have a crazy priority system (which technically it doesn't have that complex of a system in play, but its just so many buttons that it becomes more annoying then a challenge figuring out what to use when).

Ah I see I see, yeah I remember when building my macors having to use skills that had CD's first in the list and then finishing them with an instant one. So that the repeated presses would go down the line.

Changing more skills to actual instants would eleviate that some I see where they were going.

Thanks for the good info.

Also I do get where too many buttons would become a problem. I have a G13 Game pad that I purchased and loved it on Rift and SWTOR (god I just said something good about SWTOR). All my buttons right there on that one pad. I'm nearing 30 now so I'm sure my reflexes will be peaking out soon. An older player could definately find the mass amount of buttons abit overwhelming.

Not to call you old.. BrrrrHaaaa..

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    I wouldn't worry so much about macroing as people will find ways around it and what not. It shouldn't effect your experience I don't think?
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Krimzin

If you had posted this even a week ago, I would have Laughed at you. Now, Ive went back and tried it after being gone for over 18months.. The game has changed A LOT. Having a blast and even though its F2P, I like the perks of having a Sub.

I'm very surprised how much it has changed - for the better - since launch.  I really didn't like it back then, but I'm really having fun.  

• AntiarinAntiarin Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I have recently went back to RIFT as well. I am glad they changed the abilities so macroing them all to one button is no longer possible. It was annoying that to get the best DPS out of my druid I only had to press one button. I am really enjoying the game again.

Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

i played rift like year ago and yeah macroing was bad, came back maybe month or two ago, tho didnt play much, one way i noticed that macroing was kinda pointless, that there was no longer 20 abilities you "had " to use, in fact felt like half of them were changed/moved around, old builds didnt work and another half of abilities were straight gone, i still had my macros set up, but they contained maybe 1-2 existing abilities , when you look at soul trees and all that, it seems like nothing is missing, but you dont have 5 action bars with 100+ abilities now, which honestly is good change

having to setup up macro because xx skill made 5% more dmg, and xx skill should be used then and then, was just broken

tldr abilities streamlined = no need to macro , thats what i gathered from my very short SL gameplay

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I tried playing but the crappy sounds effects/animations still make it feel clunky. Also feels a lot like WoW.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

played for six months when launched. quit mostly because my rl friends were playing wow at the time.

a few weeks ago me with my rl friends and many guild mates, moved to RIFT with the raptr reward.

we are having a BLAST! game is many times better than it was, in every aspect. SL is indeed one of the most improved expansions i have ever seen to a mmo.

today with f2p, a new content update is comming. i hope it will be as good as the rest of the SL content.

imo every one must give it a try. go past 50lvl and see the SL content. the areas are just marvelous, even the mobs are great. all in all RIFT is a whole new and better experience than it was back in the 2011.

i think that in the current state of mmo market, RIFT is one of best choices. if you consider the game improvement, the quality and the excellent f2p model then it maybe is the best one.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Rift definitely beats wows talent system since Blizzard dumbed it down so much.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

So its the best game now because its free? So it wasn't before it went free? Same content, same stuff, how is it any different? More people? Sometimes more isn't always better.

Rift is a great game, doesn't matter the pay model.  It was good before the transition, and didn't need to go free honestly. WOW was a one time thing, you will never get another mmorpg with 10 million players. Companies just need to settle on 300-500k subs is not a failure and be happy with that. With so many mmorpg's I highly doubt you will make one that will draw in 10 million souls with these new aged mmorpg's, I just don't see it happening.

Just as if a game sucked before F2P, just by slapping F2P on to it, doesn't make it a better game. But Rift was good before F2P, but still curious to why you think its the best game out now, than a day ago?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I think Rift is one of the better mmo's out there, but for some reason the style and animations just feels clumsy.
    After playing WoW for such a long time you instandly compare the "global cooldown feeling " and "direct use of spells" is still top dog.
    This makes it very painfull to play other mmo's and i wish this compareble feeling would go away, even after 1.5 years not playing wow i still do that shit -_-

And i was a addon fanatic wich was a game on itself to customize your whole UI to your wish, i could spend hours and hours to get it perfect before even moving my char :P

I tried Rift and its a damn solid mmo, but like ive said i cant get the feel of love i should get for it :(

Originally posted by Onomas

So its the best game now because its free? So it wasn't before it went free? Same content, same stuff, how is it any different? More people? Sometimes more isn't always better.

Rift is a great game, doesn't matter the pay model.  It was good before the transition, and didn't need to go free honestly...

(snip)

... if a game sucked before F2P, just by slapping F2P on to it, doesn't make it a better game. But Rift was good before F2P, but still curious to why you think its the best game out now, than a day ago?

No, no - most of the people in the thread tried it at launch and only lasted a matter of a few weeks/months before deleting it.  I lost my original copy and had no hopes of getting the account back (no serial number, no record of purchase and no idea what email address or indeed ISP I was using at the time) so I played the Trial version a few days ago and was both very impressed and not a little surprised at how much better it was.  I then got Rift, Storm Legion and 30 days free via Raptr and continued to be impressed.

It's a shame that after I quit the game I wrote the game off and never went back.  Honestly, I am so impressed I am considering subbing to the game and I never thought I'd say that about a game, not these days!  

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I won't argue it is an awesome game, but it is not the best imho. 

I'm sitting here right now for my server to open and I'm anxious to start. My biggest problem with the game (and it's not a huge problem) is that there is only one starting point per faction. I hate running the same place over again! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

it doesnt need to be the best in order to have a good time. maybe RIFT is not the best, but i m having one of my best mmo experiences since i returned a few weeks ago.

also f2p doesnt make it better, but you have the chance to play again and see that it is indeed much better than it was at launch and one of the best in the mmo market.

anyway RIFT is a solid mmo experience and i m happy that TRION is giving me the chance to have a good time.

many thanks :)

Originally posted by Amjoco

I won't argue it is an awesome game, but it is not the best imho. 

I'm sitting here right now for my server to open and I'm anxious to start...

Face it - when did you last get THAT feeling?  Can you remember that far back?   :)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    What about server population. I do not wish to spend time playing in am empty world with noone running around in it like GW2.   I would rather stick to single player games if that is the case.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

If this is true, then we've hit rock bottom.

(but, it's not true, considering is has to measure up to all the MMOs of the past still running and it barely touches their ankles)

Trust me, there were LOTS of people about before downtime, and I expect it to be even busier when the servers are back up.
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If this is true, then we've hit rock bottom.

(but, it's not true, considering is has to measure up to all the MMOs of the past still running and it barely touches their ankles)

Thats your oppinion, I personally feel Rift has alot to offer, its generic yes, but theres a huge variety of things to do. To each their own, play what you like.

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Trust me, there were LOTS of people about before downtime, and I expect it to be even busier when the servers are back up.

30 minute queue on Icewatch last night :)